THE BROWNS BOARD

Difference Between Manning And A Our Weeds

BrownsKidd

Weeds would have never thrown that first TD pass by Manning. Sometimes, you just have to make a throw and the let the WR's make a play. You don't get much tighter coverage than that. And that my friends is what we don't see happening with Weeds. And I believe it's because he's being told not to make mistakes.

Weeds would have never thrown that first TD pass by Manning. Sometimes, you just have to make a throw and the let the WR's make a play. You don't get much tighter coverage than that. And that my friends is what we don't see happening with Weeds. And I believe it's because he's being told not to make mistakes.

Decent first drive for the browns though. Ended in a FG, but Weeden looks good so far. False start penalties aren't helping either..

Do you think Manning was playing this way his rookie year? Manning is smart and knows the throws he can make,obviously disregarding that interception at the end of the half..lol

Weeden has missed a few throws today, but has played solid outside of that. I'd like to give him at least another year to prove his worth. Hate to see a first go to waste so quickly.

he should've threw that ball up field to Gordon for 6. Gordon was actually pointing towards the endzone. Weeden needs to be more composed

he should've threw that ball up field to Gordon for 6. Gordon was actually pointing towards the endzone. Weeden needs to be more composed

Ya, that's probably going to be the worst play of the game. That was probably the last shot to actual make a game of it

The thing that pisses me off about Weeden is some of the dumbass things he does that has nothing to do with ability.

Up by 3 points in the fourth qtr on his own 30 with 8 mins left, he rolls out of the pocket on a designed play, can't find anyone open so instead of throwing it out of bounds, he slides and takes a 4 yard loss "to keep the clock running".....

Last week on the last ditch effort drive on 4th and 3 on their 40, he rolls out, can't find a receiver and throws it out of bounds..... Wtf.... Throw it up field.... And hope the dumbass cb picks it off 20 yards downfield.... Give yourself a chance. He threw it out of bounds and the game was over.

These are just two examples.

This stuff doesn't have anything to do with being a rookie. A high school QB could figure this stuff out.

The thing that pisses me off about Weeden is some of the dumbass things he does that has nothing to do with ability.

Up by 3 points in the fourth qtr on his own 30 with 8 mins left, he rolls out of the pocket on a designed play, can't find anyone open so instead of throwing it out of bounds, he slides and takes a 4 yard loss "to keep the clock running".....

Last week on the last ditch effort drive on 4th and 3 on their 40, he rolls out, can't find a receiver and throws it out of bounds..... Wtf.... Throw it up field.... And hope the dumbass cb picks it off 20 yards downfield.... Give yourself a chance. He threw it out of bounds and the game was over.

These are just two examples.

This stuff doesn't have anything to do with being a rookie. A high school QB could figure this stuff out.

Your kidding right? Posts like these are bad, bad efforts.

manning=smart

weeden=dumb as a bag of hair lit on fire from some passing car, once left on the side of the road getting blown back and forth from the big rigs flying by then getting pissed on by desert rats and mice and getting taken by meer kats to nest in.

awesome.

Your kidding right? Posts like these are bad, bad efforts.

Ok guru, pick it apart. Tell me how a 30 year old Qb should be excused from these mental mistakes. Or more importantly, how do you fix it in his head?

And all these "bad bad efforts" are in basically regular season meaningless games. Throw the guy in a pressure cooker playoff game and what's he going to do? Piss down his leg?

On second thought, your user name is "Hempman" no need for a response to your initial statement, I understand it completely now.

Ok guru, pick it apart. Tell me how a 30 year old Qb should be excused from these mental mistakes. Or more importantly, how do you fix it in his head?

And all these "bad bad efforts" are in basically regular season meaningless games. Throw the guy in a pressure cooker playoff game and what's he going to do? Piss down his leg?

yeah man. i'm not dissing weeds at all. hell he might be the best option going forward for the new franchise and their evaluation next year.

BUT

there is a thing that is easily evaluated since game one: how your team leader reaacts under pressure. and for how big and how strong an arm he has the dood looks like he is shittin skittles when someone breaks through the line. look at rodgers, brady, even griffin and their composure under duress..

weeds gotta learn that.

What mental mistakes? This is the design, what they are trained to do. Peyton Manning would never stand for this out of a coach and would never play for Shurmur.

what mental mistakes? Did you even read the post I wrote that you said "was a bad effort"?

Throwing the ball out of bounds on a 4 and 3 with the game depending on getting the first down is a mental error that puts the nail in the coffin for the game.

Taking a knee behind the line of scrimmage on 1st and 10 on your own thirty to take a 6 yard loss "to keep the clock running" with 8 mins in the game and only a 3 point lead is a huge mental error.

Rewind some more to an early game, last play of the game he throws the ball so high out of the back of the endzone none of his big recievers (Cameron who is a monster and Greg Little who isnt small) have ZERO chance to make even an attempt to make a play to win the game. Huge mental error.

This isn't things that can be fixed by a coach. This is stuff that has to be going through his head.

what mental mistakes? Did you even read the post I wrote that you said "was a bad effort"?

Throwing the ball out of bounds on a 4 and 3 with the game depending on getting the first down is a mental error that puts the nail in the coffin for the game.

Taking a knee behind the line of scrimmage on 1st and 10 on your own thirty to take a 6 yard loss "to keep the clock running" with 8 mins in the game and only a 3 point lead is a huge mental error.

Rewind some more to an early game, last play of the game he throws the ball so high out of the back of the endzone none of his big recievers (Cameron who is a monster and Greg Little who isnt small) have ZERO chance to make even an attempt to make a play to win the game. Huge mental error.

This isn't things that can be fixed by a coach. This is stuff that has to be going through his head.

and you don't think these things won't used as experience moving forward? C'mon. Weeden and this offense are only going to improve by next year. And those other successful rookies such as RG3, Luck, and Wilson are all capable to be more successful due to their natural mobility/athletic abilities to get them out of trouble. Of course Weeden should have made better decisions and passes but you have to take everything into consideration. He has a hell of an arm and another Guard and TE will do wonders.

Taking the dive while rolling out was still the right play, as that eats up another 30 seconds. If it was 3rd and 10 it would be a different story.

As for the Baltimore game, you do realize that quarterbacks are taught to sail the ball on those throws right? I'll post here what I posted then.

Like I said before, the pass to Greg Little wasn't necessarily a bad pass. It was intended to be high. On plays like that you are almost always looking to "throw the ball out of the endzone". This isn't a 60 yard floater that he's trying to drop into the hands of a flanker sprinting out a 9 route. If that were the case then yes, you'd want to land the ball in the endzone. But this is a 25 yard strike against 7 men in coverage.

Weeden had trips left with Gordon out wide, Norwood in tight, and Little in the middle. Gordon and Little were lined up off the line, making it easier to beat the press. I can't really tell from the angle I have but it looks like Webb is locked in on man coverage with Little, with everyone else playing loose. It's a cover two shell, with Reed and Pollard taking the back of the endzone and Webb manned up against their primary read.

The only place for Weeden to throw it is high. Webb is listed at 5'10 with a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and Reed at 5'11 with a 32 1/2 vertical. Little is listed at 6'3 with a 40 1/2 inch vertical leap. Little's peak is at 114 inches whereas Webbs is at 106 (not even factoring in reach). That's why the pass is intended to be high.

Unfortunately, Weeden's jersey gets yanked, pulling his back shoulder down and raising his front shoulder. This changes the trajectory of the pass. It's also worthy to notice that Weeden had the same thing happen on an intentional grounding earlier in the game, and he may have put some extra into his pass because of that past experience.

and you don't think these things won't used as experience moving forward? C'mon. Weeden and this offense are only going to improve by next year. And those other successful rookies such as RG3, Luck, and Wilson are all capable to be more successful due to their natural mobility/athletic abilities to get them out of trouble. Of course Weeden should have made better decisions and passes but you have to take everything into consideration. He has a hell of an arm and another Guard and TE will do wonders.

you mean wilson who was picked AFTER weeden? or doug martin who was picked after TR?

yep they'll all get better NEXT YEAR.

thanks for this year though.

dumb asses.

you mean wilson who was picked AFTER weeden? or doug martin who was picked after TR?

yep they'll all get better NEXT YEAR.

thanks for this year though.

dumb asses.

and you have to assume the circumstances are better for those players not including Luck and RG3 who are freaks of nature but even RG3 has way more to work with having some good receivers and an established running game.

and you have to assume the circumstances are better for those players not including Luck and RG3 who are freaks of nature but even RG3 has way more to work with having some good receivers and an established running game.

i'm not discounting anything you say BUT i have to respectfully disagree.

moss and garcon? moss was almost out of the league and cooley had retired....until he saw the opportunity to play with a talent like RG3. i would suggest to you though that little and gordon are heads and shoulders above their level (raw talent wise).

established running game? who is morris? really. we selected TR at number 3. hell we even had to trade next picks to ensure we got him. IT SHOULD BE AN AFTERTHOUGHT TO THINK RICHARDSON IS ABOVE A GUY NAMED MORRIS. HELL EVEN DOUG MARTIN. the only thing you can argue that RG3 has it better than the browns is their Oline or their defense. i thought we were ranked above them in both categories.

luck single-handedly turned that shitty colts team into a contender. who else do you remember them drafting or acquiring from FA that is a big name that you can lay that argument on? i can't think of one.

so in both cases their QBing talent way over shadows anything on the browns roster. there is no 2 ways around it.

i didn't like either of the brown's first round picks. i've been on record since then saying it. but i don't want to be a debbie downer. what's done is done and since i bleed brown and orange i have to live with it. i just hope someone can GIVE a gift of confidence to weeden and a gift of moving side to side and downhill and whatever it was that everyone said he'd be the best running back in the league for years and years to come to TR.

i'm not discounting anything you say BUT i have to respectfully disagree.

moss and garcon? moss was almost out of the league and cooley had retired....until he saw the opportunity to play with a talent like RG3. i would suggest to you though that little and gordon are heads and shoulders above their level (raw talent wise).

established running game? who is morris? really. we selected TR at number 3. hell we even had to trade next picks to ensure we got him. IT SHOULD BE AN AFTERTHOUGHT TO THINK RICHARDSON IS ABOVE A GUY NAMED MORRIS. HELL EVEN DOUG MARTIN. the only thing you can argue that RG3 has it better than the browns is their Oline or their defense. i thought we were ranked above them in both categories.

luck single-handedly turned that shitty colts team into a contender. who else do you remember them drafting or acquiring from FA that is a big name that you can lay that argument on? i can't think of one.

so in both cases their QBing talent way over shadows anything on the browns roster. there is no 2 ways around it.

i didn't like either of the brown's first round picks. i've been on record since then saying it. but i don't want to be a debbie downer. what's done is done and since i bleed brown and orange i have to live with it. i just hope someone can GIVE a gift of confidence to weeden and a gift of moving side to side and downhill and whatever it was that everyone said he'd be the best running back in the league for years and years to come to TR.

As i stated Luck is a freak of nature, he can do it all so of course he's a stud, and the same goes for RG3, but he's got even more help. Morris has 302 carries for 1,413 yards, 4.7 compared to Richardson's 3.6 ypc. This wears teams down like it did us making it easy for Kirk Cousin's to win big, on top of Weeden's shaky performance. But He's a rookie, and we are the youngest team in the league, so how could we really expect different? He can prosper just not under the current circumstances, and that being said I do believe any of the other QB'S would have prospered here, but only because of their mobility.

Weeden's is a pocket passer with a hell of an arm so he will prosper because 1: o-line help. 2: an enhanced running game 3:more time for the game to slow down to him/someone in the FA/draft to push him next season.

Alfred Morris without RG3 is Beanie Wells at best - that Washington OL is not good.

TB bought Vincent Jackson to make teams respect the play-action.. the thing that's scary about Martin is that both Carl Nicks and Davin Joseph [based on the 2011 season, the best OG tandem in the league] were on IR since September, so there's a bunch of scrubs playing OL for them. Not surprisingly, although Martin's season is decent.. he is shut down by every good team, and only gets yards on the terrible D's. NYG - 66 yards, L. ATL - 50, L. DEN - 56, L.

Weeden should get at least the first 6-9 games of next year to see if he can change between years 1-2. But just like Gabbert, sometimes you have to cut bait with a first rd QB.

Cleveland can't draft a QB with that first-rounder in 2013.. that has to be a DE or LB for the sieve we call a defense. I'm hoping Te'o drops.

IMHO we should draft D first either another shut down corner or a beast LB (either position from bama or lsu considering the conference and dominance).

we HAVE to stick with our offensive skill players. i think gordon and little are a legit ! and 2. TEs are solid. maybe the right side of the line needs more depth or even a guard or tackle to shore it up BUT the middle and back field on D is holding us back.

Taking the dive while rolling out was still the right play, as that eats up another 30 seconds. If it was 3rd and 10 it would be a different story.

As for the Baltimore game, you do realize that quarterbacks are taught to sail the ball on those throws right? I'll post here what I posted then.

No chance in hell taking a dive behind the line was the right call on that play. It forced them into second and long in there own territory. Even by your reasoning its still the wrong call. If you want to run time off the clock with 8 mins left in the game, you run the ball, and you run for first downs to extend a long drive and chew the clock. You don't put your offense in a situation that takes the run game out of the equation. The next two plays had to be long passes, they screwed up both and punted. That 30 seconds with 7:30 left was a complete waste, that one run play would have netted.

On the throw, I MIGHT buy that he was pulled down while throwing and that caused to ball to fly 4 rows into the bleachers, (i still thing he paniiced and turned and chucked it because of the pressure) but if your going to try to tell me a coach in the nfl (or division 6 high school for that matter) tells his QB on the last play of the game with a chance to win, tells his QB to chuck it in the stands, I'm going to respectfully disagree. I understand the point was to either 1) put the ball in a place for his larger receiver to make the play over a shorter CB or 2) which is what I think he was doing was chucking out of the endzone hoping there was time on the clock to get another play off. Either way it was a throw away that wasn't even in the zip code it needed to be in.

I'm still waiting for someone to put a positive spin on the 4 down throw the ball out of bounds end the game play from the redskins game.

Again, I have nothing against Weeden or McCoy or whoever for that matter. I just wish one of these guys could put it together, and I'd take smart clutch play over more talent and dumbass play any day of the week.

Again, I have nothing against Weeden or McCoy or whoever for that matter. I just wish one of these guys could put it together, and I'd take smart clutch play over more talent and dumbass play any day of the week.

i feel the same way. mccoy has shown that even though he has heart he just doesn't make the cut as a big time nfl QB. weeden has all the tools physically i just think his game is lacking between the ears. just cause you got a great arm doesn't mean you can play at this level. he needs to be the first guy in the building studying film and the last guy out. maybe he can learn. if not well it will be another long season next year unless there is some kind of deal made to bring in an alex smith or kirk cousins etc. i just think we'd have to either give up picks which we can't afford to do considering how many positional players we need or throw tons of money at a single guy.

No chance in hell taking a dive behind the line was the right call on that play. It forced them into second and long in there own territory. Even by your reasoning its still the wrong call. If you want to run time off the clock with 8 mins left in the game, you run the ball, and you run for first downs to extend a long drive and chew the clock. You don't put your offense in a situation that takes the run game out of the equation. The next two plays had to be long passes, they screwed up both and punted. That 30 seconds with 7:30 left was a complete waste, that one run play would have netted.

On the throw, I MIGHT buy that he was pulled down while throwing and that caused to ball to fly 4 rows into the bleachers, (i still thing he paniiced and turned and chucked it because of the pressure) but if your going to try to tell me a coach in the nfl (or division 6 high school for that matter) tells his QB on the last play of the game with a chance to win, tells his QB to chuck it in the stands, I'm going to respectfully disagree. I understand the point was to either 1) put the ball in a place for his larger receiver to make the play over a shorter CB or 2) which is what I think he was doing was chucking out of the endzone hoping there was time on the clock to get another play off. Either way it was a throw away that wasn't even in the zip code it needed to be in.

I'm still waiting for someone to put a positive spin on the 4 down throw the ball out of bounds end the game play from the redskins game.

Running the ball is all well and good except you forget that Weeden doesn't call the plays and is not allowed to audible. Shurmur called that pass. With everybody being covered, the best thing for Weeden to do was to fall down in order to keep the clock running. 2nd and 16 is hardly a second and long situation in Cleveland, it's more of the norm. Like I said previously, had it been third down this would be a different story but taking the dive was hardly the worst thing that Weeden could have done there.

I'm not asking you to buy anything because that is exactly what happened. I've personally heard a QB coach say "try to hit the first row of the stands" talking about that throw. The problem is that Weeden put it in the 5th row of the stands. The intention was fine, it's the execution that was messed up.

As for the fourth down throw, I don't recall it but I'm sure it happened. There's probably no excuse for that.

What I'm trying to say is that it's less of Weeden's decision making than it is his ineffectiveness at performing when the game is on the line. He's as clutch as a playoff Tony Romo. Add to that an inept head coach and the reins so tight that Weeden can't even audible and you're going to get poor performance. It's a perfect storm of suck.

Archived