THE BROWNS BOARD

New Coach Discussion

lambdo

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then who??????????????

I've got nothing.

My ideal candidate is an NFL assistant coach, maybe a position coach,in his thirties or early forties that has fire. Like John Harbaugh or Mike Tomlin. Haslem needs to find his young guy ... his Shula, Landry ... that is going to build a team in his image and remain in Cleveland for 20 years.

Who that is, I don't know.

A couple former Browns assistants I was impressed with but haven't heard mentioned: Mel Tucker and Rob Chudzinski.

Zombo

Lovie smith with norv turner as o.c.

Smart choice, in my mind. Why they're even looking in college is beyond me.

So you want two coaches who were fired by their teams? Also, do you really think that we could get both to come here in those roles? Would Norv Turner go for it?

So you want two coaches who were fired by their teams? Also, do you really think that we could get both to come here in those roles? Would Norv Turner go for it?

Why not? No ones beating norv's door down to be head coach. Yes I think we could get them both, I think the players will play hard for lovie more so than any coach so far mentioned. He's a players coach, and we need that especially after shurmur. And I think norv could still be huge for the offense. Never heard anything but good things about him as a coordinator.

I don't think "Being Fired" in the NFL has the gravity that is used to. It's not like these guys are done and now have to seek a new profession somewhere else. NFL teams are revolving doors. Free Agency and the "Win it now" mentality that the game has progressed to, IMO, is against coaches. I think coaches can take on a lot more of the blame than they should. How many games were we just a dropped pass from having another first down or a TD to win a game? But who get's the blame. The coach does. And that again goes to my other "Rant" thread. Players are not held accountable enough. They get their money regardless of their performance. Even if they crap the bed and sit the bench. Here's your money. Anyway, back on topic.

I'm not to concerned with a coach that has been fired. Here where I work, we evaluate employees now in a much different way. Instead of taking a poor performer and just giving him the axe, we look at what he/she is best at, what are the skill. Maybe they are in a place doesn't fit them well. So we adjust what they are doing to their abilities and many times, people will flourish in the right setting. That goes the same for everyone. The right coach in the right system (owners, GM's, CEO's etc.,) will flourish. Is Lovie Smith or Whisenhunt the right guy, or even Saban. It's hard to say, but in the right system, they will flourish. It's Haslam and Banner that have to empower the coach and enable him to have it his way. There can be no clashing of ideas or systems or philosophy.

And the other thing that I think Haslam wants, and this is just IMO, is longevity. It does work. Pittsburgh, Philly, NE. Longevity is the key and I don't know if they will want a 3-5 year guy. That's why part of me says I'm ok with the younger guy coming in and establishing a system and the right culture.

I would think Turner has to know the San Diego gig was his last shot as a HC, it's not like he didn't have the talent.

There's a long history of guys who flopped in the NFL as Head coaches, but are (were) tremendous coordinators. Dick LeBeau stunk as a HC, but will probably go down as one of the all-time great DCs. I think Norv Turner fits that mold exactly.

Another strike against Trestman for me

Former Browns quarterback Bernie Kosar is a huge fan of Trestman. Before the 2012 NFL Draft, Trestman worked with Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden and thinks highly of him.

Trestman said he felt Weeden could excel in the West Coast offense, which Trestman ran as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the 49ers in 1995 and '96.

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/01/cleveland_browns_to_interview_3.html

God dammit, I'm gonna fucking flip if we go from Shurmur to this Canadian asshole.

Assistant Coach in Cleveland roughly a quarter of a century ago.

Left NFL in mid-2000's to coach at another level and win multiple championships.

Nick Saban? nope... Marc Trestman.

Only thing I don't like about this is this guy is he's a WCO guy, and who knows what variation but I had enough of this WCO.

Bud Grant coached up there....

heres a hypothetical,

as Haslem/ Banner whittle down the list of candidates and -strike out or lose an opportunity,

they walk down the hall and tap Brad Childress to be the HC placeholder, til next year.

the theme is always "next year"

Another suggestion that Saban may come to the NFL. They sight a good QB (and I think Weeden under the right regime and coach could work) and a workable salary cap could be a good fit. (despite not mentioning the Browns specifically).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/position-statement-nick-saban-nfl-bound-203235092--nfl.html

Another suggestion that Saban may come to the NFL. They sight a good QB (and I think Weeden under the right regime and coach could work) and a workable salary cap could be a good fit. (despite not mentioning the Browns specifically).

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/position-statement-nick-saban-nfl-bound-203235092--nfl.html

I didn't see a date when that was written. Was that today?

Nope. Not as a head coach.

Agreed Rob Ryan does not have the discipline we need in a coach. He is also a defensive coach, and we need offense. Even though they are two different people, he carries a lot of the same traits as his brother Rex. Loud-mouthed, controversial antics that would cause us a lot more distractions. That kind of stuff may fly in a big market like New York, but I think it would get old fast in Cleveland.

The Cleveland Browns at 9:30 in the morning "Near Future" Have announced they have come to terms with Jon Gruden the details are unspecific but a 5 year deal has been signed, press conference at noon.

The Cleveland Browns at 9:30 in the morning "Near Future" Have announced they have come to terms with Jon Gruden the details are unspecific but a 5 year deal has been signed, press conference at noon.

Just like Tom Morello, I'm the Night Watchman.

You repeating Mary Kay's rumor? I suppose we could do worse. Why Chuckie would want to give up the cush ESPN gig for the Browns- I'll believe it when it's official. :)

Ohio High School football is very overrated anyway.

Then why do Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Indiana, Notre Dame etc. go for Ohio players in a big way.

Along with Florida/Texas/California/Pennsylvania Ohio produces more better HS football players in the country.

Then why do Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Indiana, Notre Dame etc. go for Ohio players in a big way.

Along with Florida/Texas/California/Pennsylvania Ohio produces more better HS football players in the country.

I'm from PA. My Alma Mater beat one of the best Ohio schools by 40 points this past season. Both our starting QB and WR will be going to BigTen Schools. I'm not trying to compare states, but when Ohio fans talk down on other states it gets very annoying.

I'm from PA. My Alma Mater beat one of the best Ohio schools by 40 points this past season. Both our starting QB and WR will be going to BigTen Schools. I'm not trying to compare states, but when Ohio fans talk down on other states it gets very annoying.

BS. Name what school you are from and name what school they beat. St. Edward and St. Ignatius are in the top of USA HIgh School teams almost every year.

So, your school won one fluke of a game. I bet there are games that are just the opposite.

Archived