THE BROWNS BOARD

Draft Thoughts 2013

mdmusch

I don't think Milliner will get past the Jets at 9.. they're trading some dude named Revis. If the Jets take Lotulelei, the Titans at 10 have stated on record they're 100% taking Milliner if he drops. I would not trade back -- the difference in skill between Milliner and Rhodes is not small.

I hope this article will eliminate any consideration of Mathieu being drafted by the Browns.. the guy is a basket case.

Fair enough, I was thinking that the Jets would be in the market. Hadn't heard about the titans though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1665147/xavier-rhodes

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1737099/dee-milliner

These are the differences in combine and proday work outs. As you can see there are not a lot of differences. However I do like the extra height on Rhodes, plus 4 more inch vert. Rhodes from a trade down will be one heck of a pick up. Plus a SS either Eric Ried or D.J Swearinger in the 2nd.

Should we all be shocked if EJ Manuel is In O&B by the end of Thursday??

Yes, by the end of thursday! By the end of friday, it's possible. By Sunday, I would probably expect a new QB on the roster and Thad packing up and moving to Philadelphia.

last year thinking "please don't draft Weeden or another QB, let's give Colt some decent weapons and some time in an offense he now knows, with a full season behind him." Now I'll go to sleep thinking "please don't draft Smith or another QB, let's give Weeden some decent weapons and some time in an offense that suits him, with a full season behind him."

My thoughts exactly

I have a hunch there may be a number of surprises before this draft is over. How many BPAs will be taken when talent level is so similar fairly deep once you get past the top 10 or so? This may turn into a "need based" draft throughout & some BPAs may drop somewhat. I guess we'll see this week.

Mike

I have a hunch there may be a number of surprises before this draft is over. How many BPAs will be taken when talent level is so similar fairly deep once you get past the top 10 or so? This may turn into a "need based" draft throughout & some BPAs may drop somewhat. I guess we'll see this week.

Mike

Isn't it that way every year?

To a degree, but this year there doesn't seem to be any clear cut #1 at ANY position. The talent is that closely grouped. This year, even drafting for need is "iffy" because so much of the talent is equal. It's actually a great draft in which to trade down as you won't lose a lot by doing so, but who will trade down?

Mike

To a degree, but this year there doesn't seem to be any clear cut #1 at ANY position. The talent is that closely grouped. This year, even drafting for need is "iffy" because so much of the talent is equal. It's actually a great draft in which to trade down as you won't lose a lot by doing so, but who will trade down?

Mike

More to the point, who will be trading up? Teams looking for Lane Johnson perhaps, after Joeckel and Fisher are taken. Beyond that, unless someone really likes a player I can't see anyone moving up for the same reason everyone wants to move down. Not like last years where we had two clear cult top choices, then consensus top LT, RB, CB & WR to be taken in the next 4 picks. Hell, nobody can even agree on who the best player in the draft is this year.

I heard all year that Jarvis Jones was going to be the top player in this years draft. Then as the Draft approaches he begins to fall as questions about his injury issues and work ethic begin to take root. Now I see him falling to the Steelers, is this another Phil Taylor incident where the Steelers pump out a bunch of BS about a player to hope that he falls to them? I would be sick, absolutely sick if the Steelers get Jarvis Jones. For that reason alone I say we snag him. ;)

Darius Slay has torn meniscus

Mississippi State cornerback Darius Slay, regarded as a potential first-round pick, tore the meniscus in his knee this offseason, raising medical questions with teams, league sources said.

Some doctors have told Slay he can play through the injury without undergoing surgery and other doctors believe surgery would be preferable, sources said.

Teams are aware of the injury and have wanted to see Slay's condition. Slay worked out Friday for the Atlanta Falcons and was said to look "great."

Slay was impressive at the scouting combine in February, sporting a time of 4.36 in the 40-yard dash. He also had 14 reps of the 225-pound bench press, registered a 35.5-inch vertical and claimed 124 inches in the broad jump.

Darius Slay has torn meniscus

Mississippi State cornerback Darius Slay, regarded as a potential first-round pick, tore the meniscus in his knee this offseason, raising medical questions with teams, league sources said.

Some doctors have told Slay he can play through the injury without undergoing surgery and other doctors believe surgery would be preferable, sources said.

Teams are aware of the injury and have wanted to see Slay's condition. Slay worked out Friday for the Atlanta Falcons and was said to look "great."

Slay was impressive at the scouting combine in February, sporting a time of 4.36 in the 40-yard dash. He also had 14 reps of the 225-pound bench press, registered a 35.5-inch vertical and claimed 124 inches in the broad jump.

It will almost surely drop him down a couple of rounds I would say.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75989/three-year-draft-review-for-afc-north

This is a good article that shows how far the Browns have come over the past 3 drafts under Heckert. 81% are still on the roster, and 13 projected starters we drafted.

Before Heckert came in, in 11 years of drafting (1999 - 2009), we retained hardly anybody. Remember William Greene, Courtney Brown, Brady Quinn, Gerard Warren, etc... Not to mention our lack of hits in rounds 3-7.

Building through the draft is SO important, and hitting on your picks is essential. So, with a new regime (AGAIN) taking over let's hope they can keep this solid drafting alive and help build this team into a contender. This year, in particular, is key to maintain some type of continuity and begin to bring stability, depth, and sense of identity into this roster.

Will the Browns take TE Tyler Eifert at #6? Todd McShay seems to think so in his latest mock draft.

Jeez., if that's a highlight video then I see nothing that warrants #6 overall... not even close. He looks like the type of guy you take in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. BUT, I have seen other tape and his stat lines which make this guy seem worth a 2nd round pick. It is simply his measurables that have teams at the middle-to-bottom of the first drooling. #6 would be a ridiculous reach for this guy, as there is far better talent in the draft. If we could trade back, and use a 2nd rounder on him then fine, but McShay is out of his mind with this one...

He's big as hell, I'll give him that. He'd be a great target for a jumpball in the endzone for sure. But spending the #6 overall on a TE? I don't know about that one. I'd rather spend it on a CB, FS or a LB...

Peter King has us trading with the Chargers and picking up their 2nd round pick and exchanging first rounders. Then has us taking Geno Smith at #11. I also just listened to Mike Mayock talking about the draft and he said he would be concerned taking Smith after watching him play his worst game of the season in the bowl game in the cold weather. His 2nd worst game of the year was against Iowa State also in bad weather. He never he mentioned the Browns as a team looking for a QB in this years draft.

I certainly hope that Mayock is correct and not King. I don't want a QB early....lets see what Weeden can do with Chud and Norv.

Peter King has us trading with the Chargers and picking up their 2nd round pick and exchanging first rounders. Then has us taking Geno Smith at #11. I also just listened to Mike Mayock talking about the draft and he said he would be concerned taking Smith after watching him play his worst game of the season in the bowl game in the cold weather. His 2nd worst game of the year was against Iowa State also in bad weather. He never he mentioned the Browns as a team looking for a QB in this years draft.

I certainly hope that Mayock is correct and not King. I don't want a QB early....lets see what Weeden can do with Chud and Norv.

I really think that some of these commentators don't do their homework. It would be the fucking goddamn dumbest thing for the Browns to use their first round pick in two successive years on QBs.

If they draft Geno Smith I'm just gonna quit watching pro football. That'll be the last straw I believe. It's all really starting to wear me down.

I think we will trade down for more picks before taking Smith (or any other QB this year) in the first round.

I have my hopes up for Manuel in the 2nd(if we can pick up 2nd Rd)/3rd.

Newest rumor is that the Browns are TRADING UP to #3 with Oakland to draft Ansah.... If this happens, I will NOT be pleased...

Plus, possibly trading 5th rounder to Mia for WR Bess...

The Ansah part to me seems a bit smoke-screenish.

You would think that trade-up would be made to nab Dion Jordan, right before he falls to Philly.

But this this is being said through a media informed fan.

:( I wanted either Milliner, Eifert, or Warmack in the 1st round but we took Mingo who isn't a bad pick.

:) I think we might be trading Sheard for a 2nd round pick because he isn't a linebacker. If we get a 2nd round pick I want the Stanford TE or a cornerback. The safety Jonathan Cyprien wouldn't be bad either. Zach Ertz would be a great pick for Weeden.

3rd round- TE- Travis Kelce Cincy, FS- Phillip Thomas Fresno St., CB- Logan Ryans- Rutgers

4th round- TE- Vance McDonald-Rice, G- Hugh Thornton-Illinois, ILB- Kiko Alonso-Oregon, CB- Leon McFadden-San Diego St., Qb- Zac Dysert- Miami, Oh

5th round- TE- Nick Kasa-Colorado, T- Reid Fragel- Ohio St.,G- JC Tretter-Cornell,OLB- Travis Long- Wash St., CB- Brandon McGee-Miami Fla, CB- BW Webb-William & Mary

6th round- Mike Golic Jr- G- Notre Dame, K- Dustin Hopkins- FSU, K- Quinn Sharp- Okl. St.P- Jeff Locke-UCLA

:) I hope we get one of these TE's because we really need one! Go Browns!!!!! B)

:) Does anyone think the Browns will try and get into the 2nd round?

:) How about trading Jabaal Sheard to the 49ers for the Chiefs 2nd round pick and grabbing Zach Ertz the TE from Stanford?

:) Does anyone think the Browns will try and get into the 2nd round?

:) How about trading Jabaal Sheard to the 49ers for the Chiefs 2nd round pick and grabbing Zach Ertz the TE from Stanford?

Why would the 49er's want Sheard? We would be lucky to get a 2nd round pick for him from a 4-3 team. We wouldn't get much for him from a 3-4 team. Those guys have even less of an idea about what he can do at OLB than we do.

Archived