THE BROWNS BOARD

Official Browns QB Prospect Discussion!

Shep

drug-crazed no. alcohol...yeah, probably.

a lot of people don't get me so to those that do, thank you. for those that don't, well, i could care less.

the comment about freeman was about his size and strength which i compared to ben roethlisberger. did i call someone a Nword or a cracker?

ok...... twat?

it's not like anything crazy has ever come out of your mouth......................... ;) ;)

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, be logical: Every time two teams play, one has to lose. Only 12 teams can make the playoffs. Only two can play in the Super Bowl. Only 4 or so can be Pro Bowlers or All Pro at the QB position.

But fantastic quarterbacks have been flowing into the league over the past decade, which is why it's been called The Golden Age of Quarterbacking, over and over.

Luck. RG3. Ryan. Kaepernick. Flacco. Foles. Wilson. Rodgers. Locker (6/0 before injury). Dalton (eh). Manuel (looked damn good before injury). Tannehill. Don't look at a specific year when the wheels come off. Look at how talented they are. They're guys you can absolutely win with and I didn't list them all. They're better than anybody we've had since the return and that's 14 damn years!

Every year, even last year, there are between two and five guys in the draft who are good enough to start and win. We can't miss out and we'll shop in the designer aisle this time. We'll get one of the top 2 or 3.

Guys, be logical: Every time two teams play, one has to lose. Only 12 teams can make the playoffs. Only two can play in the Super Bowl. Only 4 or so can be Pro Bowlers or All Pro at the QB position.

But fantastic quarterbacks have been flowing into the league over the past decade, which is why it's been called The Golden Age of Quarterbacking, over and over.

Luck. RG3. Ryan. Kaepernick. Flacco. Foles. Wilson. Rodgers. Locker (6/0 before injury). Dalton (eh). Manuel (looked damn good before injury). Tannehill. Don't look at a specific year when the wheels come off. Look at how talented they are. They're guys you can absolutely win with and I didn't list them all. They're better than anybody we've had since the return and that's 14 damn years!

Every year, even last year, there are between two and five guys in the draft who are good enough to start and win. We can't miss out and we'll shop in the designer aisle this time. We'll get one of the top 2 or 3.

yeah those are all great QBs but they all didn't come out in the same year and except for RG3 they (their respective teams) didn't break their bank (draft-wise) to sign any of them.

out of the nine you mentioned only three have made it to the super bowl and only two have one it.

I don't think the Browns will, or should, "break the bank" to draft Bridgewater or any other QB. The thing about these guys coming out is that there are a bunch of them and we should, and will, use our first pick on one. Seriously, the odds of busing in the first round are just as good if you draft a QB or a OLineman.

out of the nine you mentioned only three have made it to the super bowl and only two have one it.

This may be the worst attempt to make a point I've ever read... Man, 3 out of 9 going to the Super Bowl sounds pretty damn good to me...

fail...

You mean "fantastic" or just "pretty good"? You can win a Super Bowl multiple times with a guy that's just "pretty good", Like Eli Manning. Flacco is just pretty good. Telling in the last 10 years, the only "fantastics" to win the SB are Brady, Manning and Brees, & probably I'd put Rodgers in that category. Like I said, rare birds- And where did Brady, Brees, & Rodgers get drafted? It wasn't top 10, that's for damn sure. Tampa Bay won a SB with Brad Johnson, and the Ratbirds with Dilfer- not exactly HOF material. Even more telling is the list of SB losing qbs- I couldn't even name 1\2 of them going back 10 years.

Yeah, it would be nice to draft the next Otto Graham, and be set at qb for the next 12 years- but it's odds on that won't be happening. The Browns may package both firsts to move up, but I have a feeling that's going to be Lombardi and Banner's limit. We certainly aren't giving up 3 firsts and a second to take Mariotta or Bridgewater- because Andrew Luck they ain't.

And really Shep, you have to cool your enthusiasm for these college hotshots. Your track record is less than stellar. (LOL don't make me name names of guys you were in love with pre-draft.) BTW, you have to look at it in the big picture and recognize that massive qb busts can and do still happen on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the Browns have turned that into an art form.

Agree, Hoorta... fantastic is a little exceesive for most of that list... at minimum it is premature...

Johnny Manziel? Hell, he's an original.

Fran Tarkenton comes to mind. Prolly the NFL's ultimate play extender,

6'1 Case Keenum (or something like that) leapfrogged TJ Yates brian-hoyer-style and gets the start this Sunday for the Texans against the Chiefs.

I know virtually nothing about him other than his height and his yuppyish name. Any thoughts on him.

Case was a "system phenom" in the eyes of most at U of H. Set all kinds of records. Caught him a few times and thought he had a chance to be a good one at the NFL level. We shall see...

My questions about Manziel are not about his physical abilities throwing or running the football....it comes down to his dedication to the game and his teammates. Hes gonna need to grow up real fast to make it in the NFL.

Word is that he is a total gym rat and student of a game that he dearly loves.

... Aaron Rodgers fell all the way into the 20s- I'm sure you remember. :)

Shep told me in another thread that Rogers did not fall to the Packers...

I didn't watch the Louisville- UCF game tonight...

I did... While I was more impressed Teddy last nite than in my prior viewing, I was still not blown away (unlike the color commentator who wanted to have Teddy's love child).

Most throws were to a wide open, primary receiver, which he hit almost without exception.

A couple were unwisely forced to primaries that were not open.

It's when his primary was not available that his performance gets very "iffy".

Nice game but I just realized during that game that he is not even 200lbs soaking wet, this kid will never survive in the NFL. I'm scratching him off the list for our next QB.

Shep told me in another thread that Rogers did not fall to the Packers...

To a certain extent that was a fluke- great job again Browns taking Butterfingers Braylon instead. But #24 it is. Some big names did come off the board before- OK I cheated, and had to look it up- like Antrel Rolle, Shawn Merriman, and DeMarcus Ware.

Sort of like Shep's fave Brady Quinn taking a nose dive. Let it be noted- I called that bust.

LOL at the Johnny Cash comment.

It was pretty funny considering that Johnny was a one and only and about as good as it gets.

The Man in Black stood up for a lot of people when it wasn't popular.

No doubt that Manziel can make plays. The two things that I have an issue with is maturity (sp?) and his size. He has already been hurt several times this year. He is basically a more accurate Vick. I see him being injured a lot in the NFL.

Ahh so he got sent home from the Manning Camp, what a day early, so he doesn't have the dedication to be a legit NFL QB? Look I realize your jealous of the kid, I am too, but there's no reason whatsoever to bad mouth him on circumstantial evidence. Has he killed anyone? Has he roided up? Has he run a dog fighting ring? In case you were wondering no he hasn't. He's cleaner then Haden and Gordon. I realize this is America where everyone gets to bitch about everyone but the kid can play.

Have you seen him play?

It's funny before the season started my Dad absolutely hated the kid. Though he was a punk, blah, blah, blah. Every Saturday and Sunday I go and watch football with my Dad. Needless to say after the Bama game, and forgetting last year entirely evidently, he's hoping he falls down far enough in the draft so the Cowboys can pick him up. (Yes he's a Cowboy's fan, we do live in Oklahoma) Texas A&M is now appointment viewing for us purely because of Johnny Manziel.

Oh and for the dumbass who is calling him Johnny "Cash" Manizel are you really trying to insult him by comparing him to one of the greatest/badass artist of all time? I know you're going for the whole cash sign he's made when he scores a TD but do a little research into pop culture and it has something to do with Drake or some shit. I'm 25 and should probably know more about it then I should but I don't, other then that. (Grantland.com is the place to go) I just think of Johnny Cash, which is a complete compliment. Johnny Cash was a legit badass. Anyone who disagrees is a terrorist.

Feel free to zip his pants back up and wipe the man juice off your chin....Kids a douche off the field. And yes I have seen him play and I think he wilk be a complete failure in the NFL.

you guys think we could take braxton with that indy pick or would we have to use our 1st? I really like Brax's potential as long as the coaching staff makes it clear to him he's not to take off running unless it's a crucial game winning situation. His mobility in the pocket plus that cannon is what I like. If he can develop into a competent pocket passer first, than let things develop infront of him by using his wheels to buy time...he could be awesome. I would love for him to play under Hoyer next year cause that's who he should emulate

you guys think we could take braxton with that indy pick or would we have to use our 1st? I really like Brax's potential as long as the coaching staff makes it clear to him he's not to take off running unless it's a crucial game winning situation. His mobility in the pocket plus that cannon is what I like. If he can develop into a competent pocket passer first, than let things develop infront of him by using his wheels to buy time...he could be awesome. I would love for him to play under Hoyer next year cause that's who he should emulate

I'd rather have Guiton

I've never wanted manziel more than after reading this crazy-town statement.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

No doubt that Manziel can make plays. The two things that I have an issue with is maturity (sp?) and his size. He has already been hurt several times this year. He is basically a more accurate Vick. I see him being injured a lot in the NFL.

Size and injury are my biggest concerns with him. He takes way too many unnecessary hits.

Feel free to zip his pants back up and wipe the man juice off your chin....Kids a douche off the field. And yes I have seen him play and I think he wilk be a complete failure in the NFL.

Yup I must be gay for him since I said "the kid can play." Great response man. Since you aren't capable of coming up with a legitimate response I'll do it for you because I'm a nice guy. (And no that doesn't mean I'm gay for you either) He threw 2 picks today and 287 of his 454 yards and all of his passing TD's went to a NFL caliber WR in a losing effort. Sure sounds a lot like Weeden's college career to me.

As far as being a douche off the field, it would probably be easier to name all of the athletes who aren't douches off the field then the one's that are decent human beings.

Of the current athlete's I've had the chance to meet, the most respectful was, without a doubt, Dez Bryant, true story. Oh and everyone I know that met Adrian Peterson in college said he was one of the biggest pricks they've ever met. I've never heard the media say a bad thing about AP but Dez was a loose cannon. Just saying.

So far today I have watched a little bit of Mettenberg, some Manziel and some Boyd. Currently I am watching Mariota. Obviously the big names that I didn't watch this week are Hundley and Bridgewater. Of everyone I have seen I am most impressed by Mariota. He has nice size to take those hits that the smaller players like Manziel and Bridgewater will have more trouble with. He is quick on his feet and can extend/create plays. Haven't seen the full compliment of throws yet but I have no worries that he can make everything.

OSU QBs don't translte too well to the next level. So no.

Archived