THE BROWNS BOARD

Do you buy Bullying in the NFL?

jrb12711

Here's who was not pleased with Jonathan Martin: His team, his coach, the gm. Who else? And now he's going to sue them because they were mean. He'll never find gainful employment in the league again, and I think you guys defending him ought to go watch whatever is gayer and less manly than soccer. Watching male ballet dancers tiptoe around the maypole perhaps? I bet everyone would be nice to you there

According to the survey taken below nearly 80% of NFL players wouldn't want Incognito on their team while roughly half would welcome Martin on theirs. Being ingorant to the world around is worse than being stupid.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9945888/most-players-survey-want-richie-incognito

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's who was not pleased with Jonathan Martin: His team, his coach, the gm. Who else? And now he's going to sue them because they were mean. He'll never find gainful employment in the league again, and I think you guys defending him ought to go watch whatever is gayer and less manly than soccer. Watching male ballet dancers tiptoe around the maypole perhaps? I bet everyone would be nice to you there

Martin's GM told him to "punch Incognito in the mouth". Don't know how you interpret that, but legally it's assault & battery. Yeah, that's how to handle the situation.

Maybe he could have taken it one step farther and hit him over the head with a chair, or gotten really POed and shot the SOB.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9939308/richie-incognito-jonathan-martin-miami-dolphins-bullying-scandal

Man Up

Declaring a war on warrior culture in the wake of the Miami Dolphins bullying scandal

By Brian Phillips on

November 7, 2013

Iam here to start a fight, because I'm a man and that's how I solve problems. I'm not here to help you. I am here to fucking hurt you. That's what I've learned in my years as an NFL fan. You have an issue with somebody? You see somebody being stupid? You don't look the other way. You don't back down. You strap on your man boots and you shove it through their teeth.

Let me tell you how I know this. I know it because the NFL told me. Take the Dolphins. They suck, but they're still in the NFL. I'm telling it like it is; that's what men do.

The Dolphins have, or maybe had, a 24-year-old left tackle named Jonathan Martin. And they have, or maybe had, a 30-year-old left guard named Richie Incognito. Last week, Martin left the team to seek help for emotional issues. Then allegations emerged that Incognito had been bullying him. Hazing him, if that word makes you feel better. Threatening him. Threatening his family. Leaving him racist voice mails. Sending him homophobic texts. Here's a quick example, and I'm not bleeping out the bad words, because being a man means looking reality in the face.

Hey, wassup, you half-N***** piece of shit. I saw you on Twitter, you been training 10 weeks.
[i want to]
shit in your fucking mouth. [i'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [i'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Incognito was suspended from the team Sunday. Over the next few days, NFL columnists rounded up NFL sources to opine about the only thing that matters in the NFL: warrior fucking toughness. The Shadow League's J.R. Gamble called Martin "soft." Giants safety Antrel Rolle said: "You're a grown-ass man. You need to stand up for yourself." Ex-Dolphins lineman Lydon Murtha wrote that Martin was a "standoffish and shy" player who "broke the code" and that "playing football is a man's job" of "high testosterone."Sports Illustrated's Jim Trotter spoke to a mean fleet of NFL types who all agreed that Martin was "a coward." One said: "I think Jonathan Martin is a weak person. If Incognito did offend him racially, that's something you have to handle as a man!" Another one said: "You handle it in house — fight, handle it on the field, joke about it, etc. — and keep it moving." Another one said: "I might get my ass kicked, but I'm going to go down swinging if that happens to me, I can tell you that."

Warriors make war on warriors. There's no room for crying in this game. You have a problem, you handle it on the field. Handle it as a man. Go down swinging. I hear you, NFL, and that's why I'm not here to move you or persuade you. If you have a penis and feelings, you'd better cut one of them off. I'm here to start a fight.

Because this — this idea that Jonathan Martin is a weakling for seeking emotional help — this is some room-temperature faux-macho alpha-pansy nonsense, and I am here to beat it bloody and leave it on the ground. Every writer who's spreading this around, directly or by implication; every player who's reaction-bragging about his own phenomenal hardness; every pundit in a square suit who's braying about the unwritten code of the locker room — every one of these guys should be ashamed of himself, and that's it, and it's not a complicated story.

Let's put some things in context, shall we? We're lucky in this regard, because it's actually fairly easy to put mental-health issues in context in a league whose retirees have a disproportionate tendency to shoot themselves to death. Former Chargers DB Paul Oliver is the most recent. He killed himself in late September at the ripe old age of 29. In 2012, four players or ex-players committed suicide in eight months, including 25-year-old Titans receiver O.J. Murdock, beloved Chargers icon Junior Seau, and Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher, who — maybe you vaguely remember this — shot himself in the parking lot of the Chiefs' practice facility after murdering his girlfriend in front of his 3-month-old daughter.

The plague of NFL suicides might by itself hint at the severity of the desperation many players seem to find below the surface of America's favorite TV show. And that might, in turn, argue in favor of extending some basic benefit-of-the-doubt compassion toward a young player who says he's struggling. But let's say you don't see it that way. You need more convincing, maybe because you're a man and you know that compassion is a lie invented to keep you from owning a Hummer. Fine. Let's squeeze into our thinking caps and keep going.

The brain is a part of the body. It's an organ. It's a physical thing. Sometimes it breaks. Sometimes it breaks because you beat it against the inside of your skull so hard playing football,1 and sometimes — because it's unimaginably intricate, the brain, way more intricate than even a modified read-option — it breaks for reasons that are harder to see. Your ability to chortle "boys will be boys" doesn't mean that psychological abuse of the sort that Martin apparently endured can't widen that kind of fracture. But then, does the cause even matter?

Look at it this way: No one thought Joe Theismann was soft for leaving the game when his leg was hanging sideways. Sometimes the brain goes sideways, and when that happens, "brave" or "cowardly" shouldn't even come into it. Seeking help is just the practical thing to do.

Or look at it this way: Say Jonathan Martin had three children, two boys and a girl. Say the youngest was 2 months old and the oldest was 3 years old and they all died in a fire. Would you call him weak for missing some games over this? No, because you would understand that he was in unbearable pain, that he was literally crazy with hurt, and you would want to support him because, to your mind, the pain would have a valid cause. But what makes a badly suffering person incapable of functioning isn't the validity of the cause, it's the extremity of the pain. And sometimes — because brains break! — it's possible to feel as if your children had burned to death for no obvious reason at all. The ceiling is screaming, every pore in your skin hurts, the view in the window hurts, the idea of getting off the couch to close the curtains hurts, thinking five minutes into the future makes you feel like you're coming apart at the atomic level. You need help when this happens. Yeah, even if it means that the hardest men on the planet — Twitter userslose respect for you.

I love football — it's so much fun, it's beautiful, it's thrilling, it's an excuse to drunk-tweet in the mid-afternoon — but it has also become the major theater of American masculine crackup. It's as if we're a nation of gentle accountants and customer-service reps who've retained this one venue where we can air-guitar the berserk discourse of a warrior race. We're Klingons, but only on Sundays. The Marines have a strict anti-hazing policy, but we need our fantasy warrior-avatars to be unrestrained and indestructible. We demand that they comply with an increasingly shrill and dehumanizing value set that we communicate by yelling PLAY THROUGH PAIN and THAT GUY IS A SOLDIER and THE TRENCHES and GO TO WAR WITH THESE GUYS and NEVER BACK DOWN. We love coaches who never sleep, stars who live to win, transition graphics that take out the electrical grid in Kandahar. We love pregame flyovers that culminate in actual airstrikes.

And of course this affects the players. Locker-room guy-culture is one thing; the idea that any form of perceived vulnerability is a Marxist shadow plot is something else. It's a human inevitability that when you assemble a group of hypercompetitive young men some of them will go too far, or will get off on torturing the others — which is why it's maybe a good idea, cf. the real-life military, to have a system in place to keep this in check. What we have instead is a cynical set of institutional fetishes that rewards unhealthy behavior. The same 110-percent-never-give-an-inch rhetoric that makes concussed players feign health on game day encourages hazing creep after practice. Don't believe that? I've got a helmet-to-helmet hit here for you, and that'll be $15,000, petunia.

I guess the nuanced line on the scandal in Miami is that a locker room is a complicated organism, and the aggression/affection dynamic between teammates is impossible for outsiders to understand.2 Maybe that's true. But there are boundaries in locker rooms, same as anywhere else, and those boundaries are culturally conditioned, same as anywhere else, and they change with time, and they can be influenced. And it would be really good, it would be a really good thing, if the NFL moved its boundaries in such a way as to show some minimal respect for mental health. Not just for PR purposes, but because for as hell-bent as we seem on turning football players into gods without dignity, humanity doesn't stop the moment you strap on a Dolphins helmet. I don't know when football forgot that fact, but the evidence is overwhelming that it needs to remember.

There will always be locker-room assholes. They should be curtailed. And when a player says he needs time off for mental reasons — again: in a sport with a suicide problem — it shouldn't spark a national conversation on whether he's soft.

I am here to hurt you, so I'll also say this: You're a warrior, cool. What the hell are you a warrior for? I'm sorry if this makes it sound like I have emotions other than anger — I assure you that I don't — but tell me this: What's the point of being strong if all you stand for is abusing a suffering teammate? Those guys who taught me that when you see a problem, you step up and solve it, all those anonymous sources foaming on about how to be a man — is that what they think "being a man" is? I mean, nothing about protecting someone who's struggling in your big gender equation, then? Nothing about, like, knowing right from wrong?

Here's what I can't stop thinking: There were so many tough men in that Dolphins locker room. The unwritten code of football is that you handle your business in-house. Any one of these men could have said something to stop Incognito and help Martin. Any one of them could have handled it. They're warriors, right? They're paragons of strength. And yeah, there are complex reasons why they didn't. But they didn't.

But there is no crying in football. You tanked the whole team in the middle of a still viable season. You're a pussy. I do not agree with his methods and find it to be all that's wrong with entitled society. You're mean and therefore I will sue you. This is not now nor should it ever be the way football issues are handled.

But there is no crying in football. You tanked the whole team in the middle of a still viable season. You're a pussy. I do not agree with his methods and find it to be all that's wrong with entitled society. You're mean and therefore I will sue you. This is not now nor should it ever be the way football issues are handled.

"Harrassment is okay, so long as it's in the NFL."

It's not like these guys have a high rate of suicide or anything like that :rolleyes:

"Harrassment is okay, so long as it's in the NFL."

It's not like these guys have a high rate of suicide or anything like that :rolleyes:

that article is a joke. If Martin actually gets diagnosed with something other than depression (which probably developed over him knowing he was a pussy) then I am completely wrong. I guarantee all Incognito was trying to do was get him to stand up for himself.

I feel for the 12 year old getting bullied in school but if a grown ass man/professional tough guy is getting bullied and can't figure out how to stop it without going to the media and throwing the whole team under the bus then he is just a pussy bitch.

You make it seem like he stormed right into CNN and started showing them texts and voicemails. As from what I read after the incident in the caffiteria where he kind of snapped, he informed the team what was happening, then the NFL. It wasn't till what one or two weeks until after he left the team that the media got hold of the voicemail, which I believe got leaked by someone from the dolphins or nfl?

I have yet to read that he is going to sue anyone, though I believe he could. People like to compare to football as a war and the battlefield, or a bunch or rowdy frat guys. Guess what? It's a workplace that must adhere to all the laws set forth by the United States in regards to being a work place. This isn't some mens club that plays football on the weekend. What happened was harasment. Telling someone that they can, "suck my dick" isn't bad when it's said between friends somewhere else, but in the work place if someone doesn't want to hear it they should have too. Let along being told that said person is going to rape/murder or halfy n----- sister and your mom. Oh ya and shut up or I'll fucking kill you. If a friend said that shit to me not only would they not be my friend anymore but I'd look into damn restraining order against their mental ass.

Fact is Martin did the write thing, it looks wrong because he plays football. If he worked in an office, no one would second guess what he did. People on here spouting that he needs to grow a pair or duke it out with Incognito set a horrible fucking example for any child they are responcible for. Are you likely to fuck up your kids for life? Not nessisarily. Are you more likely too, ya. All that advice does is either make your kids violent or tell them there is nothing they can do about being bullied. That leads to Your kids being overly violent when they are older (too quick to fight), overly depressed, or god forbid suicidal.

I see this shit all the time when I teach. Kids not understanding how to handle someone that is harassing them. One of my students came to me last month after missing a whole week of school. He had been being bullied by some guys on the football team, so he tried to become friends with them, alot like how Martin was "friends" with Incognito. A became the team manager and sat with them at their lunch table, but of course that only made it worse because he was around them more, their bullying didn't stop, and when he went to go and tell another teacher they didn't believe him because it appeared that they were all friends. He missed a whole week of school cause it got so bad he didn't want to leave the house.

Whether you are 6, 12, 24, or 50, shit like this needs to be taken seriously. It's this kind of stuff that makes people go postal, and it's people that tell them to buck up that teach them their isn't anything they can do.

You make it seem like he stormed right into CNN and started showing them texts and voicemails. As from what I read after the incident in the caffiteria where he kind of snapped, he informed the team what was happening, then the NFL. It wasn't till what one or two weeks until after he left the team that the media got hold of the voicemail, which I believe got leaked by someone from the dolphins or nfl?

I have yet to read that he is going to sue anyone, though I believe he could. People like to compare to football as a war and the battlefield, or a bunch or rowdy frat guys. Guess what? It's a workplace that must adhere to all the laws set forth by the United States in regards to being a work place. This isn't some mens club that plays football on the weekend. What happened was harasment. Telling someone that they can, "suck my dick" isn't bad when it's said between friends somewhere else, but in the work place if someone doesn't want to hear it they should have too. Let along being told that said person is going to rape/murder or halfy n----- sister and your mom. Oh ya and shut up or I'll fucking kill you. If a friend said that shit to me not only would they not be my friend anymore but I'd look into damn restraining order against their mental ass.

Fact is Martin did the write thing, it looks wrong because he plays football. If he worked in an office, no one would second guess what he did. People on here spouting that he needs to grow a pair or duke it out with Incognito set a horrible fucking example for any child they are responcible for. Are you likely to fuck up your kids for life? Not nessisarily. Are you more likely too, ya. All that advice does is either make your kids violent or tell them there is nothing they can do about being bullied. That leads to Your kids being overly violent when they are older (too quick to fight), overly depressed, or god forbid suicidal.

I see this shit all the time when I teach. Kids not understanding how to handle someone that is harassing them. One of my students came to me last month after missing a whole week of school. He had been being bullied by some guys on the football team, so he tried to become friends with them, alot like how Martin was "friends" with Incognito. A became the team manager and sat with them at their lunch table, but of course that only made it worse because he was around them more, their bullying didn't stop, and when he went to go and tell another teacher they didn't believe him because it appeared that they were all friends. He missed a whole week of school cause it got so bad he didn't want to leave the house.

Whether you are 6, 12, 24, or 50, shit like this needs to be taken seriously. It's this kind of stuff that makes people go postal, and it's people that tell them to buck up that teach them their isn't anything they can do.

The only way that voicemail gets to the media is through him. I do know that bullying is a huge problem in school. But this isn't school. Do you think him quitting the team and running home to mom and dad is setting a good example? Martin should have stood up to Incognito, in front of everyone. I'm pretty sure that's what Incognito was trying to get him to do (pure speculation). If he does, it boosts Martins self esteem and maybe his balls drop back down for a little fresh air. The whole team wanted him to loosen up and to just be one of the guys.

The only way that voicemail gets to the media is through him. I do know that bullying is a huge problem in school. But this isn't school. Do you think him quitting the team and running home to mom and dad is setting a good example? Martin should have stood up to Incognito, in front of everyone. I'm pretty sure that's what Incognito was trying to get him to do (pure speculation). If he does, it boosts Martins self esteem and maybe his balls drop back down for a little fresh air. The whole team wanted him to loosen up and to just be one of the guys.

1. Says who? Their are plenty of dick wads in both the dolphins and nfls camp that will and do leak shit all the time. Your blaming Martin when you don't know who gave the media the voice mail.

2. No the NFL isn't a school, it just associates itself with young children any chance it gets through charities and nfl play 60. They are in a position where they need to set an example for young children. That is why you see players getting fined and suspended for lawful infractions outside of football. But your right, it isn't a school... its a workplace, and one of their employees was harassed under direction of the management. No they didn't tell Incognito to threaten him and his family, only to "toughen him up". Well maybe if you tell one of your employees to do such a things you should not pick the biggest dick in the locker room with the biggest history of assholery and harassment and maybe you also keep an eye on how he is doing and micromanage what he does a little bit.

3. Who is to say he didn't stand up to him? People say all the time, "be a man tell them to stop." Guess what? Assholes don't always follow the rules. Just cause Martin tells him to stop, and tells him it is over the line, doesn't mean that Incognito.

Also a side note, judging from what I am hearing through most NFL locker rooms, he would be welcome almost anywhere in the NFL if he chose to keep playing.

If Martin would have stood up to him, or if he had one single friend in that locker room, someone would have known what was going on. NOBODY knew. Martin kept it all inside until he flipped. You are right that with Incognito's history that he shouldn't have been in that position though. Words are just words and if they broke him he has no chance. He competes against the biggest, strongest, and NASTIEST people America has to offer. The opposing D-Lineman say shit 10x's as bad in a game. Your skin has to be made of leather and your feelings better not interfere in this game or you'll never make it.

If Martin would have stood up to him, or if he had one single friend in that locker room, someone would have known what was going on. NOBODY knew. Martin kept it all inside until he flipped. You are right that with Incognito's history that he shouldn't have been in that position though. Words are just words and if they broke him he has no chance. He competes against the biggest, strongest, and NASTIEST people America has to offer. The opposing D-Lineman say shit 10x's as bad in a game. Your skin has to be made of leather and your feelings better not interfere in this game or you'll never make it.

Your speaking in certainties even though nothing about this is anywhere near certain. Your saying if Martin had stood up to him, he would have stopped. How do you know that? Is there some man code book upheld by law? As I said, we don't know if Martin told him to stop or not, and if he did tell him to stop it doesn't mean that he would. For all we know he let him know it was over the line and he needed to cut it out and he didn't listen.

Now if he had a friend in the lockerroom you think this wouldn't have happened, aka its all Martin's fault. It's not the victims fault in any situation like this, it's the aggressor. Plus, once again, we can not speak in certainties here. I find it hard to believe that someone who was in the lockerroom wasn't friends with Martin. That doesn't nessisarily mean that he made any friends he did have aware of what was happening or how he truely felt about it.

Nastiest? I doubt that. A lot more nasty getting shot at then playing football.

bottom line:

incognito was told to toughen the kid up. the kid is either gay or a big puss. now he's gonna make his money suing a player, the team and the nfl so he wont' have to get hit anymore (on the field).

i would replace schwartz today with incognito if he could play right tackle.

we need a rough/tough bastard on our line.

nasty.

Have you seen the video of Incognito running around a bar, shirtless, threatening to beat up normal sized people? Do you know he was kicked out of two colleges? Do you know he's been charged with battery against a woman? Did you hear the things he said to Martin, even though it's well known that Martin isn't your typical psycho-synthetic football player (which should be fine)? Did you know he insisted on holding OL meetings in a strip club and fined the guys who didn't wanna do that? Extorted money? Somebody somewhere really wants to defend this guy?

That New Orleans TE who is permanently blind in one eye thanks to hazing (Cleeland) also played for the Rams and said the obvious: Incognito is a very bad human being, probably clinically unbalanced, filled with rage and hate. Yes, that's probably true of a lot of people who play violent sports or carry guns for a living. We need them in wars (and rarely know what to do with them when they return).

Does it fly to just say, "Well, that's the way it is in pro football. Tough shit?" No. Of course not. Wrong is wrong, period, and a workplace is still a workplace, and recruiting others to treat an emotionally fragile guy like a dog is despicable and grotesque, undeniably. Let's not fall in line with the other shruggers. Be disgusted, for God's sake.

bottom line:

incognito was told to toughen the kid up. the kid is either gay or a big puss. now he's gonna make his money suing a player, the team and the nfl so he wont' have to get hit anymore (on the field).

i would replace schwartz today with incognito if he could play right tackle.

we need a rough/tough bastard on our line.

nasty.

You said it bro.

Have you seen the video of Incognito running around a bar, shirtless, threatening to beat up normal sized people? Do you know he was kicked out of two colleges? Do you know he's been charged with battery against a woman? Did you hear the things he said to Martin, even though it's well known that Martin isn't your typical psycho-synthetic football player (which should be fine)? Did you know he insisted on holding OL meetings in a strip club and fined the guys who didn't wanna do that? Extorted money? Somebody somewhere really wants to defend this guy?

That New Orleans TE who is permanently blind in one eye thanks to hazing (Cleeland) also played for the Rams and said the obvious: Incognito is a very bad human being, probably clinically unbalanced, filled with rage and hate. Yes, that's probably true of a lot of people who play violent sports or carry guns for a living. We need them in wars (and rarely know what to do with them when they return).

Does it fly to just say, "Well, that's the way it is in pro football. Tough shit?" No. Of course not. Wrong is wrong, period, and a workplace is still a workplace, and recruiting others to treat an emotionally fragile guy like a dog is despicable and grotesque, undeniably. Let's not fall in line with the other shruggers. Be disgusted, for God's sake.

god forbid he hit one of your surfer boy QBs.

oi!

dude this ain't no water polo we're talking about. i say the same shit to my best friends all the time. pouncey even came on the record as saying he was his brother and even let him call him the N word. all my friends who are white (like myself) greet and bitch and play around calling each other that word with an 'a' at the end. is it a nice word? hell no. who promoted it? the same people that bitch about the word being used by anyone other than a black person. but yet those black people are making their money either by rapping and selling huge $$$$$ albums around the world and they think little johnny in suburbia isn't going to buy it,listen to it, and rhyme along with it? what's the kid going to do, everytime the rapper comes out and says 'N333#r', replace it with a word like snigger? man this shit is long gone and all these uptight racist black people need to get over the fact that this word is being used by everyone and it's not used as a word of hate. sure if you're dressed up in a white sheet and hood and come crawling up in your front yard and light a cross on fire that's different. but steven a. smith and michael wilbon and other these other blow-hard black announcers or show-hosts need to get over themselves by declaring this thing a need for another hundred man march. reverse racism took over the day when the likes of don draper dropped dead.

as far as incognito goes, i betcha he lands on an NFL team before martin ever does again (he doesn't want to get hurt or hit, so he'll make his money in a lawsuit). and incognito was right, when the light of day hits the situation and the truth comes out he won't be the one getting hurt by it. every pro player i've heard from (that plays the game today, not some old fossilized dude like tom jackson who still carries the torch for everything black) says that martin was a punk and if he had a problem with incognito he should have stomped him.

guess he didn't have it in him. i'll sign incognito TODAY! at least he can play a position. unlike some on our OLine.

Archived