THE BROWNS BOARD

Do you buy Bullying in the NFL?

jrb12711

BUT when you can't perform and are a punk the hazing is done in malice BECAUSE you have not held up to your end of the bargain. i.e. signing a contract for millions of dollars to play against the biggest thugs on earth and decide he doesn't like to get punched in the face or throat for 60 minutes for a sixteen week period.

His issues weren't on the field at all. He was living up to his 'bargain' as you put it by playing good football (started all the games this year). Look, I won't disagree that the guy maybe should of started by going to Dolphins higher ups first. But the bottom line is you can play football hard as hell on the field and be a decent human being off of it. There doesn't need to be a stigma of treating people like shit under the guise of being 'hard'. That's just a very antiquated and stupid principle to live by.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i can't disagree with anything you said.

there are plenty of great player who played tough on the field and were assholes off the field. lawrence taylor, michael irving, big ben....hell, even our own jim brown.

but aren't they all in the hall of fame?

so what does that tell you about the game altogether. just win, baby, win.

at any cost.

EDIT: I also like how Incognito sexually harassed a woman, (rubbed her vagina with a golf club, then rubbed his dick on her ass, and after she told him to stop he threw his drink in her face) during a charity golf event and he still remained as a lockerroom leader.

Inspirational. Crazy how the Jaguars now have the most stable NFL team in Florida. They're arguably in better condition than the Marlins and Panthers, too.

His issues weren't on the field at all. He was living up to his 'bargain' as you put it by playing good football (started all the games this year). Look, I won't disagree that the guy maybe should of started by going to Dolphins higher ups first. But the bottom line is you can play football hard as hell on the field and be a decent human being off of it. There doesn't need to be a stigma of treating people like shit under the guise of being 'hard'. That's just a very antiquated and stupid principle to live by.

When saying he should have gone to the higher ups, you also have to consider the fact that they are the ones who ordered this, according to reports - and Incognito saying when asked if it was the case "I can't answer that" - and so he maybe felt that he *couldn't* go to the higher ups, or even the locker room leaders, because they were all in on it.

Here's an interesting article telling a little of Incognito's side:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9955599/richie-incognito-miami-dolphins-only-product-environment

I'm not taking anyone's side here because I really don't care of the final verdict, but I feel like there's a lot of information missing from both ends. It looks like this whole situation is turning into "the media will portray what they want the public to believe" cases.

From what seems to be happening, it seems to me like this:

- There was hazing going on at Miami - big shock

- Richie Incognito was the ringleader for the team and the section

- Richie incognito is a giant douche

- Jonathan Martin was getting hazed into his second year, because he did nothing to stop it

- Incognito went too far with the hazing...

- ...but Incognito thought he was doing nothing wrong, that it was standard locker room 'banter'

- other people probably went through the same thing as Martin and survived.

So, if Martin stands up for himself to Incognito, this probably stops. And when I say stands up for himself, not in the polite way of saying "guys, I really don't enjoy this, could you stop?" I mean in the locker room standard way. However, Martin is an 'educated' guy - a Stanford guy, no less - whose idea of standing up for himself is different.

Being British I never really had to go through the hazing - we don't do that sort of thing here, outside of rugby clubs - so I can't comment on the extremeness of it. But I suspect it's the same through college fraternities, sports teams etc. Maybe Martin was expecting it, rightly or wrongly, to stop in his second year but it didn't, and that made him feel victimised. Why was he the only sophomore getting hazed (was he?). Clearly, if this kind of thing goes on in any standard office, it's harassment, it's an HR thing and it's stopped immediately. But the NFL is a different beast. Some form of hazing is acceptable - even expected - for a rookie, but how much is too much? Evidently, Martin and Incognito have different views on that.

Archived