THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine Time?

KentLife

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm liking what I'm seeing on him. Watched a few interviews with him on youtube, and he seems to be real, and passionate about football. Has always had good results where ever he's coached. This could be the one.

Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

Zombo

Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

Zombo

Totally agree on Mary Kay........She needs to just go away....................

i'd rather have TCPO coach the team.

so the merits of finding our new great head coach and 'getting it right' ride on a couple of youtube video interviews and the fact that he looks like goldberg?

GTFO. i had more respect for chud, which was 0.

I'm liking what I'm seeing on him. Watched a few interviews with him on youtube, and he seems to be real, and passionate about football. Has always had good results where ever he's coached. This could be the one.

i'm sure this is the guy that the FO declared that 'we're just waiting on the right guy. we've got to get this right!' routine.

this guy is as far from the top of their first choices as a rock at the bottom of the fish pond to a floater.

now you guys are getting fucking crazy. are you being serious? mike pettine was our first choice?

i'm sure this is the guy that the FO declared that 'we're just waiting on the right guy. we've got to get this right!' routine.

this guy is as far from the top of their first choices as a rock at the bottom of the fish pond to a floater.

now you guys are getting fucking crazy. are you being serious? mike pettine was our first choice?

LMAO

I don't care if he was their first choice or tenth, I would be impressed if they hired him because he's not another passing game guru ... He's a football coach. It's in his blood ... Dad was a PA high school coaching legend, hot blooded Italian, started off coaching high school, against his dad, and worked his way up all the way through the Nfl. I like rough and tumble Ryan defenses ...get him a Kubiak or Kyle Shanny to run the offense and we'll be in good shape ... If the Stooges pick the right QB.

Z

Obviously not their first choice. But hey, at least this mess will be over... for now.

Pettine sounds good but, as I have stated recently, I have to wait & see. I'm no longer taking ANYTHING this Browns ' FO says at face value.

What I DO NOT want to see is any more Belichick "wannabes" as candidates. So they WORKED for him...they AREN'T him & obviously haven't performed like him. The Pats may be the LAST team I want to see a coach come from. They can shove the "Belichick tree" up Lombardi's ass (If there's any room beside his head!)

Mike

Pettine sounds good but, as I have stated recently, I have to wait & see. I'm no longer taking ANYTHING this Browns ' FO says at face value.

What I DO NOT want to see is any more Belichick "wannabes" as candidates. So they WORKED for him...they AREN'T him & obviously haven't performed like him. The Pats may be the LAST team I want to see a coach come from. They can shove the "Belechick tree" up Lombardi's ass (If there's any room beside his head!)

Mike

That's a pretty tall order, Lombardi's head is fucking huge. Al Davis probably broke his dick off up there as well it's getting pretty crowded.

i'd rather have TCPO coach the team.

so the merits of finding our new great head coach and 'getting it right' ride on a couple of youtube video interviews and the fact that he looks like goldberg?

GTFO. i had more respect for chud, which was 0.

I'm taking that as a compliment and there's nothing you can do about it.

The Buffalo News reports Bills DC Mike Pettine is "going to get the Browns job," and that a deal is "close."

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported the sides parted without an agreement Tuesday evening, but it sounds like there are only minor details left to be worked out. It's quite possible a deal will be finalized in the next 12-24 hours. After weeks of embarrassment, it appears the Browns might finally have their man.

IF this happens im shocked no 2nd interview with quinn no interviews with coaches from sf. Cant wait to here them spin it this was there man all along

Any chance that this FO is trying to lure in coordinators before they get "their guy"? Some of these interviews have been head scratchers. The Dallas ST coach, Dirk Koetter, Pettine (whom I really wanted as a DC a few years ago), etc. These cant seriously be their top candidates, can it?

Well, support it and hope he gets a fair shake.

I don't hate the guy. His defense is kinda fun to watch.

Hopefully he gets some good assistants in with him.

I just don't like Rex Ryan, so not sure how I feel about a Ryan disciple. But I won't judge him for that.

Any chance that this FO is trying to lure in coordinators before they get "their guy"? Some of these interviews have been head scratchers. The Dallas ST coach, Dirk Koetter, Pettine (whom I really wanted as a DC a few years ago), etc. These cant seriously be their top candidates, can it?

These coaches can't get out of their contracts for lateral moves. It has to be for a higher position if they are under contract with another team. If they're already coordinators, it has to be for head coach some type of assistant head coach.

Now, the eyes of the Browns organization turn to Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Mike Pettine, as they flew to Mobile, Ala. to have a second interview with the fiery young coach. The problem with the Browns having waited to interview Gase, is that the coordinators and coaches in the free agent pool have quickly started to dwindle. So, if Pettine is the Browns’ choice, who could he look to when filling out his staff?

Offensive Coordinator:

Cam Cameron

Cameron-300x225.jpg

Could Cam Cameron Revive the Browns Offense?

The former offensive coordinator of the Baltimore Ravens, Cameron currently holds the same role with the LSU Tigers. While Cameron is last remembered for being released during the Ravens 2012 Super Bowl run, many people felt that he was simply a scapegoat for the Ravens’ overall team struggles, but was largely credited for getting the best out of quarterbackJoe Flacco. Cameron is a known quarterback developer, and with his work history with Pettine, he will likely be high on the coordinator list.

Mike Bloomgren

With the ridiculous title of “Andrew LuckDirector of Offense” at Stanford University, Bloomgren helped lead the Stanford Cardinal to a Top 15 ranking after the departure of Luck to the NFL. Prior to that, Bloomgren spent three seasons with the New York Jets under Rex Ryan as the assistant offensive coordinator. As a rising young coordinator, it is only a matter of time before Bloomgren returns to the NFL, and Pettine’s staff could be just the place for him.

Matt Cavanaugh

The current quarterbacks coach of the Chicago Bears, Cavanaugh spent time on staffs with Pettine in both Baltimore and New York. As the offensive coordinator for the Baltimore Ravens, he helped lead the team (without Pettine) to the franchise’s first Super Bowl victory in 2000. It would only seem fitting for him to help bring the first Super Bowl title to the Cleveland Browns next.

Defensive Coordinator:

Jim O’Neil

ONeil-300x197.jpg

O’Neil’s Past With Pettine Could Land Him the Browns DC Job.

O’Neil currently resides as the linebackers coach of the Buffalo Bills, but previously spent four seasons in Pettine’s defense in New York with the defensive backs and quality control. Many in the Bills organization feel that if Pettine lands the Browns job, O’Neil could be quickly added to his staff, sending the team reeling late in the coaching search to reload their staff.

Anthony Weaver

Weaver has virtually spent his entire career under Pettine. He was coached by Pettine while a player in four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, joined the New York Jets coaching staff in 2012, and then followed Pettine to the Buffalo Bills this past season. At just 33-years old, Weaver would be one of the younger defensive coordinators in the league.

Donnie Henderson

The current defensive backs coach of the Buffalo Bills, Henderson spent time working with Pettine in Baltimore in 2002 and 2003. He then spent time with the New York Jets and Detroit Lions at defensive coordinator before joining Bills head coach Doug Marrone at Syracuse. This season he was brought in to help Pettine’s defense move to a Top 10 ranking in the NFL.

"the fiery young coach" ..............I gotta admit, that sounds like a much needed change from the mellow, meek coaches we've had.

So because our top choices turned us down we just shouldn't have a HC? Who would *you* hire? And bear in mind it won't be Tressel, or Schottenheimer, or any old-timers like that.

So because our top choices turned us down we just shouldn't have a HC? Who would *you* hire? And bear in mind it won't be Tressel, or Schottenheimer, or any old-timers like that.

the question is 'who' is there to hire and 'who' that they want will take the job?

only one on the top of the list who hasn't blown us off yet is quinn DC from the seahawks. if he blows us off then you have to concede we are picking from the bottom of the barrel.

i'm not saying that who they choose will suck, i'm saying that this front office is full of shit with statements like 'we have to get this right' in the press conference after firing chud and having no idea who was interested (seriously interested) in the job, and haslam's overwhelming commitment to the fans to bring a winner to cleveland. what they basically did was cast a line out into the ocean hoping for that huge catch and only got a nibble.

yes, chud sucked. but wasn't that an indictment right there of banner and lombardi's ability to run this team?

i hope the new coach demands full control and haslam sees the light and fires banner and lombardi and promotes farmer to GM (if he isn't gone by then) and let him and the new guy formulate the future of this team.

I don't get that Chud sucked and should have been fired. The Browns were really on the upswing

when Hoyer was in there.

Buttichek SUCKED with the Browns. Look at other great coaches - they learned a lot in their first

year of being a hc.

I believe there's nobody here who didn't want Turner as oc. A lot of new/"new" hc's struggled their

first year, with a lack of talent. It takes a few years to implement new systems, and accrue the talent

to fit.

Turner and Horton didn't have a problem with Chud, so it wasn't the hc's fault. It isn't like Chud brought in

rookies to fill his coaching staff.

I cannot wait for the press conference when a coughing Banner and the owner drinks 4 bottles of water as they squirm their way through telling us we got our man ...........there will be more bullshit in that 30 minute conversation than a farm full of Buffalo

I don't get that Chud sucked and should have been fired. The Browns were really on the upswing

when Hoyer was in there.

Yes, but that's all behind us now. Chud & Hoyer certainly deserve a 2nd chance.

I just hope this entire flip of direction isn't for 'Manziel'. There's a good chance if 'Manziel' don't work out, it will set us back a decade.

Why a decade? 3-4 years to see if Manziel work, new coach, Draft another QB by 4-5, wait another 3-4 years to see if that QB works.

Yes, but that's all behind us now. Chud & Hoyer certainly deserve a 2nd chance.

I just hope this entire flip of direction isn't for 'Manziel'. There's a good chance if 'Manziel' don't work out, it will set us back a decade.

If it is for Manziel and it doesn't work out, then I seriously hope that if it doesn't work out, Banner/Lombardi are gone.

Archived