THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine Time?

KentLife

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grossi tweeted about 30 minutes ago that the Browns were expected to pop the question to Pettine tonight, which means it's likely it won't happen.

Even still, I jumped the gun and did a write up on the guy. There's some interesting facts about his defense and what he could bring to the team.

http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/249206/browns_to_hire_mike_pettine.html

Grossi tweeted about 30 minutes ago that the Browns were expected to pop the question to Pettine tonight, which means it's likely it won't happen.

Even still, I jumped the gun and did a write up on the guy. There's some interesting facts about his defense and what he could bring to the team.

http://factoryofsadness.sportsblog.com/post/249206/browns_to_hire_mike_pettine.html

Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

Maybe a bit strong on some negativity there, but some good info.

Not real crazy on the Points per game, and actually looks to be essentially the same performance wise as Horton's D (i.e. - not good).

Turnovers look a bit better, but really hoping there's more to this than what I'm seeing.

Okay, read some more past the table and things look a bit better, but it's not cataclysmic.

Bills have a couple of outstanding DL's, but I'm thinking the Browns have overall more talent that should have an impact.

A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

Yea sure that has to be it. The reason they have taken so long and been turned down by so many is because of the fans. The reason some of the guys won't even grants us an interview is because of what the fans say. The reason the executives and players at the Senior Bowl are trashing our FO is because of the fans. How can you possibly believe he is factoring in or even hearing what we think?

Fuck that's just stupid. If there were a Grammy for stupid posts this should be a contender.

My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

The Browns last had a winning season under George W. Bush: 2007

The Browns last appeared in a playoff game also under W Bush: 2002

The Brown last won a playoff game under Bill Clinton: 1994

The Browns won 5 Championship while Truman was in office: 1946/47/48/49/50

The Browns won 2 Championships while Ike was in office: 1954, 1955

The Browns won their last Championship whe LBJ was in office: 1964

The Cleveland Rams won their only title here when Truman was in office: 1945

The Akron Pros won their NFL title when Woodrow Wilson was President: 1920.

The Canton Bulldogs won their first title when Warren G. Harding was President: 1922

The Canton Buldogs and the Cleveland Bulldogs won titles while Calvin Coolidge was President: 1923, 1924

Just so you know.

Last championship was in 64...Eisenhower left office in 61. I missed by 3 years. B)

My post was stupid? It's taken me at least 3 re reads to clarify what "I think" your point is. So here goes.....the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm beleif that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

My point was fan grumbling has nothing to do with the coaching decisions past , present or future. It was pretty straight forward sarcasm and not that hard to understand. We do at least agree on why many candidates won't talk to us so there is always some common ground.

Mangini was fired because Holmgren was brought in and wanted his guy, Shurmer was fired because Banner was brought in and wanted his guy, Chud was fired........who the hell knows why.....definitely not because of the fans.

Mangini was fired because Holmgren was brought in and wanted his guy, Shurmer was fired because Banner was brought in and wanted his guy, Chud was fired........who the hell knows why.....definitely not because of the fans.

maybe because with better talent he sucked worse than the guy he replaced and haslam wasn't going to prolong the misery as other Fo's have done.

did he have a plan B after chud's firing? sure as hell doesn't look like it. but expect this to continue until our HC shows improvement from the last or nighty nite.

maybe because with better talent he sucked worse than the guy he replaced and haslam wasn't going to prolong the misery as other Fo's have done.

did he have a plan B after chud's firing? sure as hell doesn't look like it. but expect this to continue until our HC shows improvement from the last or nighty nite.

So then expect a new coach every year.

Horton's defense didn't even come close to living up to the hype. We barely cracked the top 10 in most major statistical categories, our ranking is based purely off yards per game and that's it.

Opposing quarterbacks had an 82.8 rating against us, completing 60% of their passes. Compare that to Buffalo's 74.9 and 55%, respectively.

Opposing QB's had a red zone passer rating of 108.1 against us, compared to Buffalo's 84.7.

Opposing QB's posted an 82.8 rating and passed for 15 TD's and 9 INT's against us when trailing. Against Buffalo, they had a 64.6 rating, passing for 11 TD's and 12 INT's.

Further, when trailing with less that 4 minutes to go, opposing QB's still had a 65.8 rating against us and gained 4 net yards per attempt. Against Buffalo in the same circumstances, passers had a rating of 19.8 and had an adjusted net yardage per attempt of -.8 yards.

You might not agree with him as a head coach and for good reasons, but don't ever try and lump him in with Ray Horton. Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

..the direct reason people won't talk to us is because our organization is a joke that turns over it's personnel every 2 years on avg. Now "why" that's happened is up for discussion. It's my firm belief that the Cleveland fan base grumbling every year we play sub .500 ball had an impact on the decisions the FO's of the past few years were making. If I wasn't sure about it after the mangini firing...Im certain of it now after the shurmur and chud firings. The exact extent that we have on their decisions I couldn't give an accurate number to, but I'm positive at this point we're influencing them in some way. No way people are this stupid otherwise. Say what you will they're still businessmen.

The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

For the record, I was totally against firing Chud- I foresaw the shit-storm that was sure to follow both in the NFL, and the National media. TC, your analysis of Horton's tenure here is why I was certain, if anyone was going to be shown the door, it was going to be Horton- his defenses just couldn't stop the opposing offenses in crunch time. The New England game still makes me sick just thinking about it.

The other poster explained the Mangini and Shurmur firings- & I'll add Shur-loss was arguably one of the worst head coaches in the history of the Browns- FWIW, I've seen 'em all. Chud may have lost games, but he at least looked like he had a clue on how to coach a football team, Pat was totally lost & clueless. As to the Front Office caving into the fans, um- Banner was on record when he hired Lobotomy he knew it was going to go over like a lead balloon with the fans .

Two things about Shurmur...

1) I was not a huge fan of his, but I also think he deserved another year. All the "talent" people have talked about underachieving this year, well it's all it's his guys with a few exceptions. The base of our defense our those DT's that were pretty much the bright spot of the whole team. Again, wasn't a huge fan but barring a better choice I thought he deserved a 3rd year...which brings me to my second point.

2) From what we know now, there was "zero" cause to fire Shurmur. They fired him before they had someone else signed or at least committed in a significant way. HIring an interim coach like chud who was going to change the coordinators, knowing pretty much all along they were going to fire him after a year or two.....makes the Shurmur firing even that much more indefensible. Given the way the North played this year I don't think it's inconceivable to think we might have won the division if we hadn't turned the offense and especially the defense over. The 4-3 we were running under Shurm I thought showed real promise. I think we would have gotten thumped right out of the playoffs but it would have been something.

I just really think that they felt no choice but to fire Shurmur based on the reaction that the fan base had to him, which i understand to an extent...he wasn't that great of a game day coach. But I didn't hate him like alot of people did. People also hated Mangini which also blew my mind....most relevant football we've played since 99 was courtesy of him.

Seems like he could be a real good hire, I like his resume and I am relieved he runs a 3-4.

But Mary Kay is a horrible journalist ... Gase never had a first interview, and the teenage daughter tweeting about the second interview doesn't tell us anything about the Browns intent .... and not wanting to wait for Quinn .... she just made that up.

Zombo

Were he and Jesse Ventura separated at birth??

PS Let's get a coach and start, actually, thinking about personnel, etc.

Will Burge @ WillBurge 5m
Sources confirm # Browns have chosen Pettine as next HC. Say meeting today is not interview but contract neg. If deal is reached he is coach

Will Burge @ WillBurge 3m
Pettine lands at Hopkins airport (yes commercial flight) at 12:32. One source said deal could be done by 5pm today if all goes well # Browns

I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

Zombo

I hope Banner and Lombardi know that by hiring a tough non-nonsense guy Jimmy's gonna fall in love with him and he's going to have his ear. Better get your stooge act together or you'll be gone and Pettine will stay.

If this pans out to be true, it's music to my ears.

I like the hire. I think it was a bold move, and I don't know if we are going to start winning, but we are going to be tough.

Manziel is tough ... I can see the pairing.

The fact that we had to wait forever to interview all of the candidates in the playoffs so we could hire Buffalo's DC ... that's gonna look a little stoogey.

But get the right guy ... and nobody cares two years from now.

Zombo

Well....the hiring of Pettine is NOT final. In fact, it appears, per the radio that some new "Mystery Candidate" may still be in the picture.

And speculation is that that mystery man may be someone they wanted all along: Josh McDaniels....who may be having a change of heart and wants back in the running.

My buddy just told me about his daughter tweeting,

"Dad said interview went well and he is going back for a second, It's the Browns, but hey still pretty cool!"

Who is the guy that makes T-Shirts around here? That might be the next best seller.... hahaha.

Well....the hiring of Pettine is NOT final. In fact, it appears, per the radio that some new "Mystery Candidate" may still be in the picture.

And speculation is that that mystery man may be someone they wanted all along: Josh McDaniels....who may be having a change of heart and wants back in the running.

I saw a rumor McDaniels is sniffing around again too.

Just like when you get a new girlfriend and the chick that turned you down sees you out and says "hmm".

It would take me a long time to warm up to McDaniels..

I'd be onboard with Pettine before the press conference is over.

Zombo

That's what we'll be getting- better than nothing. If you read the report from the Senior Bowl it's not surprising Haslam and the Stooges are in full damage control mode- and IMO they did more damage to the Browns reputation in one bad move than Holmgren & Heckert did in years.

Earth to Jimmy- in this case the perception IS the reality- you and The Stooges have turned what's left of the once proud Browns franchise into a Hazardous Waste Dump.

I'll miss seeing you a time or two a year since it sounds like you are tossing the season tickets.

Horton is over-hyped, to say the least. I'm glad he's gone.

How can you say Horton was over-hyped? Correct me if I'm wrong but was anyone predicting that in one year our new defense would pee all over the 85 bears or the steel curtain from the 70's? Was that what everyone was expecting? I'm sorry but can you please explain how Horton failed after just one year? How can you be glad that we're turning the scheme over.................again

My buddy just told me about his daughter tweeting,

"Dad said interview went well and he is going back for a second, It's the Browns, but hey still pretty cool!"

Who is the guy that makes T-Shirts around here? That might be the next best seller.... hahaha.

Media should have a field day with that, I know I would

A bit better? 9 more interceptions and 17 more sacks is only a bit better?

The biggest difference between the two defenses is that the Bills could finish games and we couldn't.

Yes, I concede, there are aspects that are better, but to me they're all subparts of the final product - Points allowed.

Buff ranked 20th in PA (24.2), while we ranked 23rd (25.4) . . . not an earthshattering difference and definitely around the bottom third of the League.

Yeah, it's great when your Team can shut down an oppenent and dominate them, but if you still end up giving them more points you still lose.

Frankly after watching Horton's vaunted Defense I don't care if we give up 500 yards a game as long as we keep them from scoring.

Fact of the matter is, I actually prefer having a Defensive oriented HC.

If Pettine's our new HC, I will be rooting for him to succeed until/unless he show's me he's not a competent HC.

If this is true and Pettine is announced today, why not wait another 10 days and talk to Quinn? We've been dicking around this long, what is another week or so? It's not like Pettine was our first choice by any stretch, and I haven't heard his name come up with any other teams. Something tells me he'll be around in 10 days. The Bills were 6-10 last year and ranked 20th in defense. How is this a better hire than just promoting Horton?

Archived