THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine Time?

KentLife

I don't get that Chud sucked and should have been fired. The Browns were really on the upswing

when Hoyer was in there.

Buttichek SUCKED with the Browns. Look at other great coaches - they learned a lot in their first

year of being a hc.

I believe there's nobody here who didn't want Turner as oc. A lot of new/"new" hc's struggled their

first year, with a lack of talent. It takes a few years to implement new systems, and accrue the talent

to fit.

Turner and Horton didn't have a problem with Chud, so it wasn't the hc's fault. It isn't like Chud brought in

rookies to fill his coaching staff.

If you believe in a guy when you hire him after an extensive hiring process, how do you not believe in him so much 11 months after that you have to blow up everything again? They team may have SUCKED by the end of the year, but they didn't QUIT. Chud still had the staff and the locker room. It was time to upgrade the talent, especially on offense, and make adjustments ... Especially on defense .... Not fire the coach. You give a guy three second string Qbs, a 34 year old running back off the street and no fullback and you fire him after you preached patience at us and him all year?

I hope they do hire Pettine, because that hot-headed dago will punch Banner in the fucking mouth when he needs it most.

Z

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get that Chud sucked and should have been fired. The Browns were really on the upswing

when Hoyer was in there.

Buttichek SUCKED with the Browns. Look at other great coaches - they learned a lot in their first

year of being a hc.

I believe there's nobody here who didn't want Turner as oc. A lot of new/"new" hc's struggled their

first year, with a lack of talent. It takes a few years to implement new systems, and accrue the talent

to fit.

Turner and Horton didn't have a problem with Chud, so it wasn't the hc's fault. It isn't like Chud brought in

rookies to fill his coaching staff.

man you see life with blinders on, which means you only go in one direction and are not open-minded at all.

belichick SUCKED with the browns? really that team played harder and better than what they fielded in the past decade (beside mangini's team), with vinny testaverde at QB.

yeah belichick is a bum. a bum that any 'open-minded non-hater' would take back in cleveland in a heartbeat.

turner did shit for play calling and did nothing to help weeden with his QB guru talent. horton's schemes were great in the first half of every game this year but let us down in the second half. and who was their direct boss. yep, chud. you're telling me that pat shurmur did a better coaching job than chud and you're wondering why he got fired.

geez. i know you're a staunch conservative but open your eyes. haslam put down the gauntlet with firing of chud. we're not going backwards with our record AGAIN. if you can't surpass the guy that was there before you, see ya!

man you see life with blinders on, which means you only go in one direction and are not open-minded at all.

belichick SUCKED with the browns? really that team played harder and better than what they fielded in the past decade (beside mangini's team), with vinny testaverde at QB.

yeah belichick is a bum. a bum that any 'open-minded non-hater' would take back in cleveland in a heartbeat.

turner did shit for play calling and did nothing to help weeden with his QB guru talent. horton's schemes were great in the first half of every game this year but let us down in the second half. and who was their direct boss. yep, chud. you're telling me that pat shurmur did a better coaching job than chud and you're wondering why he got fired.

geez. i know you're a staunch conservative but open your eyes. haslam put down the gauntlet with firing of chud. we're not going backwards with our record AGAIN. if you can't surpass the guy that was there before you, see ya!

Bellichik also won 11 games including a playoff game in 94'.

I don't get the Bellichik hate at all.

It's hard to argue with any of this............I can still remember E Rock picking Bledsoe in our last playoff win like it was yesterday. I always liked Bill, and still do.

So because our top choices turned us down

You don't know that. Just because a coach takes his name out of the running doesn't mean we offered him. It more likely means we weren't going to offer him.

You don't know that. Just because a coach takes his name out of the running doesn't mean we offered him. It more likely means we weren't going to offer him.

This. It's not like Gase, McDaniels are A+ candidates anyway. Bowles was the Rooney rule interview.

Apparently sources close to Pettine say he "really wants the job badly." I suspect he'll be our guy.

The FO spent 4 hours with the guy, intent on offering the job if it went well, and apparently they left with no deal. Let the speculation begin.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/01/browns_leave_senior_bowl_with.html#incart_m-rpt-2

I suspect he's still in the running, they just want to speak to Quinn first before making a decision.

********************************************************************************

Bull crap. Buttichek lost his first three seasons with the Browns. And THAT was way before they came back as an expansion team.

Here - Buttichek didn't have a winning season with the Browns til year 4, then he went losing again the two years after.

turner did shit for play calling and did nothing to help weeden with his QB guru talent. horton's schemes were great in the first half of every game this year but let us down in the second half. and who was their direct boss. yep, chud. you're telling me that pat shurmur did a better coaching job than chud and you're wondering why he got fired. Mik

Well, you'd do better seeing things without the knee jerk hostility. You saying that Turner didn't play call well? Really? Dion Lewis hurt,

2 yards and a cloud of dust Richardson traded, Hoyer hurt, can't run the ball anymore because the qb's sucked...and you

blame an NFL respected veteran offensive mind for not play calling effectively ? lol. Seriously? Buttichek had three losing seasons, then

you brag on him having one winning season, then going back to losing seasons...and you blame Chud for losing his first season?

Bill Belichek lost his first season with the Patriots, too, dammit. And he won only one more game than

the Browns did under Chud.

Nah. Not buyin it. Butticheck SUCKED as the Browns hc. Here's a good article on it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=3217121

Who cares who they hire? By midseason next year half of this fan base will be calling for a new HC. I wish I could get a one on one with Haslam and say now look here Jim....fuck these fans, you can't make personnel decisions based on the whimsical bleats of a fan base that hasn't seen win since Eisenhower. That's all there is to it, he has to say fuck us. It's the only way he's going to build anything.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Packers RBs coach Alex Van Pelt is high on Bills DC Mike Pettine's list as a potential OC candidate should Pettine get the Browns head-coaching job.

Van Pelt, 43, played quarterback in the NFL from 1993-2003 and has coached mainly quarterbacks before becoming Green Bay's running backs coach in 2012. He was the OC for the Bills back in 2009 under Dick Jauron and Perry Fewell. There's some speculation that Van Pelt could shift to QBs coach in Green Bay because Ben McAdoo left to become the Giants OC.

Would gladly watch a smashmouth (strong D/running game) team in the style of Seattle. Pettine is better than nothing at this point.

That's what we'll be getting- better than nothing. If you read the report from the Senior Bowl it's not surprising Haslam and the Stooges are in full damage control mode- and IMO they did more damage to the Browns reputation in one bad move than Holmgren & Heckert did in years.

Earth to Jimmy- in this case the perception IS the reality- you and The Stooges have turned what's left of the once proud Browns franchise into a Hazardous Waste Dump.

Who cares who they hire? By midseason next year half of this fan base will be calling for a new HC. I wish I could get a one on one with Haslam and say now look here Jim....fuck these fans, you can't make personnel decisions based on the whimsical bleats of a fan base that hasn't seen win since Eisenhower. That's all there is to it, he has to say fuck us. It's the only way he's going to build anything.

Eisenhower? Time to go back to Middle school......

The Browns last had a winning season under George W. Bush: 2007

The Browns last appeared in a playoff game also under W Bush: 2002

The Brown last won a playoff game under Bill Clinton: 1994

The Browns won 5 Championship while Truman was in office: 1946/47/48/49/50

The Browns won 2 Championships while Ike was in office: 1954, 1955

The Browns won their last Championship whe LBJ was in office: 1964

The Cleveland Rams won their only title here when Truman was in office: 1945

The Akron Pros won their NFL title when Woodrow Wilson was President: 1920.

The Canton Bulldogs won their first title when Warren G. Harding was President: 1922

The Canton Buldogs and the Cleveland Bulldogs won titles while Calvin Coolidge was President: 1923, 1924

Just so you know.

Don't know if this is an indication of Pettine coming here or not, but this just floated in the Twitterverse:

Ryan @ RyanTalbotBills 2m "Billieve" is gone from M. Pettine's Twitter. I repeat, "Billieve" has been removed from her bio.

My guess his wife, and she's changing her Twitter info because she's headed to Cleveland?

Anyone know anything about "Billeve" ?

Don't know if this is an indication of Pettine coming here or not, but this just floated in the Twitterverse:

My guess his wife, and she's changing her Twitter info because she's headed to Cleveland?

Wikipedia has him as the head coach of the Cleveland Browns .... I'm sure someone jumping the gun/playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pettine

I believe M. Pettine is teenage daughter that outscooped th eCleveland media on a second interview.

Zombo

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/mpettine

Yea sure that has to be it. The reason they have taken so long and been turned down by so many is because of the fans. The reason some of the guys won't even grants us an interview is because of what the fans say. The reason the executives and players at the Senior Bowl are trashing our FO is because of the fans. How can you possibly believe he is factoring in or even hearing what we think?

Fuck that's just stupid. If there were a Grammy for stupid posts this should be a contender.

It doens't matter who's hired. We're destined to lose, and lose big. Gurantee our QB pick is a flop and another high pick has a "final destination" esq injury that will doom his career.

Destiny is as Destiny does..................

No job offer.... The search continues

Per NFL Indsiders, Pettine expects to hear the Browns' decision on him today.

If it's yes, I pray this is not a panic decision...

"the fiery young coach" ..............I gotta admit, that sounds like a much needed change from the mellow, meek coaches we've had.

When was the last time we had a truly "fiery" HC??? Butch?

Bull crap. Buttichek lost his first three seasons with the Browns. And THAT was way before they came back as an expansion team.

Here - Buttichek didn't have a winning season with the Browns til year 4, then he went losing again the two years after.

After making the playoffs in '94, we were picked by many to make our first SB in '95. We were 3-1 in Sept, '95... then the move rumors started swirling and we went 1-3... After the move was confirmed public knowledge in November, we finished 1-7.

No one... I repeat... No one could have led us to success under those circumstances.

And '95 was the only year Bill B coached us after that winning season... there were no "two years after". He did not coach again until 2000 in NE, where, yes, he opened his on-going reign there with one losing season... followed by 13 winning ones... and counting...

Bill B is simply one of the greatest coaches in the history of the NFL.

Back to Pettine,... according to the media stuff, this is looking increasingly likely, for the moment. As such, I've just spent a little time reading what I could on Pettine. I have to say, at this point, I'm on-board with a Pettine hiring. I don't know enough about him and have not watched him enough to be a fan (so I'm not biased in his favor), but he looks more qualified to me than Chud was. In my opinion, this guy has at least demonstrated some potential to be successful in coaching some aspect of football. I don't know if he knows anything at all about offense, so I'm willing to admit he MIGHT totally bomb there. I do like the idea of a strong defense getting even stronger, though. Maybe they can find a way to pair him with an OC who knows what they are doing?

Anyway, I'm pro-Pettine right now, if that's what happens. I won't be (further) disappointed if this is announced at some point in the very near future.

You have to have hair to be a successful NFL coach, I don't like it......With all the numerology Banner and Lombardi do you would think they would know that statistically bald head coaches are unsuccessful. Its a fact, look it up

And here is the coach that won 7 championships in Cleveland getting inducted into the Hall of Fame ....

Brown_Paul_Induction_180-220.jpg

Archived