THE BROWNS BOARD

Bryant is Mingo Mingo is Bryant.

The Gipper

From what I have seen this year, Armonty Bryant is becoming somewhat of a mainstay on the Browns defensive line/LB corps.

A. Bryant....the 7th round draft pick...is performing at what seems to be the kind of level that we would have expected out of our first round pick last year, Barky Mingo.

Now, I guess the only thing I can say about the situation is: if our #1 pick last year was playing at an impact player level the way our 7th round pick is playing....and if our 7th round pick were playing at a level where he contributes somewhat occasionally to the team, then we would be happy.

But what we have is simply the reverse, 7th rounder playing like 1st rounder, 1st rounder playing like 7th rounder.

As I see it here, we have a zero sum gain from these 2 performers, and overall we should be pretty happy with things if we just ignore the draft positioning.

Fair to say?

Yes. Bryant has only gotten better, though he is down since the preseason.

Mingo, I don't know what's going on but he can be an effective situational pass rusher.

Is Bryant playing like a #6 overall pick I'm not so sure, but certainly the roles are reversed based on draft positioning.

I expect them both to get better.

armonty hasn't taken any snaps at OLB has he? If so I'm glad they're doing it, keeps him on the field more. Even though he's still good at it, it's a shame to keep Armonty in the middle of double teams all game long. I like when they set him of the edge. Armonty may be our best technically gifted pass rusher.

I kind of felt that way for this whole draft. Where you are picked is really an arbitrary number. If we switched this years draft around, it would seem much better and everyone would appreciate how well Farmer did. Look at it like this.

1a - Bitonio - the #1 top rated rookie in the NFL right now

1b - Manziel - nothng to indicate he wasn't worth it yet. Im still in with him for depth

2 - Kirksey - solid pick

3a- Crowell - solid pick

3b - Gilbert - verdicts still out on him. Hurts a little less as 3b though.

4 - Desir - verdicts still out. But promising for a 4th

So, if we knew going into the draft that we'd get a monster starting guard, 2 fantastic running backs, a solid starting quality linebacker, 2 uber talented CB's to develop and a potential Superstar for backup quarterback. PLUS an extra 1st round pick for next year,

WHO WOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THAT????????????????

Mingo, I don't know what's going on but he can be an effective situational pass rusher.

But where has he been? Doesn't seem like that is his role. When in he drops more than rushes.

But where has he been? Doesn't seem like that is his role. When in he drops more than rushes.

For where mingo was picked.. Were just not seeing the return on the investment.. He's just too fucking small and light to shed the big O-lineman.

For where mingo was picked.. Were just not seeing the return on the investment.. He's just too fucking small and light to shed the big O-lineman.

the browns are asking him to do something he's not used to doing. coverage.

it's like going into mcdonalds and asking you to flip burgers when all you do is take care of the drvie-thru window.

The coaching staff seems to be happy with where Mingo is. As stated above, they have been mostly using him to drop into coverage. The people who are upset that he isn't getting sacks don't seem to understand that.

Using him in coverage means he's not he as was billed. It means he's been less than marginal.. Not buying that load of crap... And no. I'm not sorry I feel this way.. He blows.

Pettine said it was because he was better at coverage than any of the other LBs. I'm not saying he's the man, but you have to take the way he is used into account. Furthermore, he is still pretty green, he only saw about half the defensive snaps last year....

Again.....the production we are getting out of our 7th rounder may be equivalent to what we would expect from a first round pick.....and if the production we are getting out of a first rounder is the equivalent to that of a 7th round pick....it is still a zero sum gain.

That is my point.

And if Mingo starts playing like anything higher than a 7th rounder, then it is a plus sum gain.

Get my point?

Using him in coverage means he's not he as was billed. It means he's been less than marginal.. Not buying that load of crap... And no. I'm not sorry I feel this way.. He blows.

Even if he does.....he is at least on the roster, which is more than most 7th round picks achieve, no?

Again.....look at Mingo as our 7th round pick, and Bryant as our first round pick......and be happy.

I kind of felt that way for this whole draft. Where you are picked is really an arbitrary number. If we switched this years draft around, it would seem much better and everyone would appreciate how well Farmer did. Look at it like this.

1a - Bitonio - the #1 top rated rookie in the NFL right now

1b - Manziel - nothng to indicate he wasn't worth it yet. Im still in with him for depth

2 - Kirksey - solid pick

edit:

3a West - solid pick

3b- Crowell - solid pick

3c - Gilbert - verdicts still out on him. Hurts a little less as 3b though. edit: has rare athletic ability, needs better technique, still raw.

4 - Desir - verdicts still out. But promising for a 4th

So, if we knew going into the draft that we'd get a monster starting guard, 2 fantastic running backs, a solid starting quality linebacker, 2 uber talented CB's to develop and a potential Superstar for backup quarterback. PLUS an extra 1st round pick for next year,

WHO WOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN THAT????????????????

Add in the FA acquisitions- I don't hear any squawking about how Hawkins and Gabriel are playing. Another off season like that, and the rest of the NFL had better look out.

wouldn't he make a great blitzing LB'er in some of our 4-3 looks? Put Kruger or Sheards hands down in the ground, basically making them the 43DE...shift Armonty to the outside shoulder of his tackle making him the other 43DE...and line up Mingo just off the line either to the outside of Kruger/Sheard or Armonty. He can feign the blitz or he can stunt up inside if he thinks the guard or center is being lazy. It would get him off on the OL with momentum, I think he'd be hell on em.

No, you blow.

They put him coverage because he is better at it than Sheard and Kruger. Try reading the comments from Pettine instead of making dumb-ass statements.

Even if he does.....he is at least on the roster, which is more than most 7th round picks achieve, no?

Again.....look at Mingo as our 7th round pick, and Bryant as our first round pick......and be happy.

Ok now make lemonade from lemons Gilbert and Desir. ;-)

Ok now make lemonade from lemons Gilbert and Desir. ;-)

Do you realistically believe that EVERY player drafted must be good immediately? Can you site a single team or a GM that hits on every player? Is it fair to rip the GM on a bad pick, the same year he hits it out of the park with FA's, UDFA's and 80% of his draft picks?

If you ignore how well Farmer has done and can only see that Gilbert isn't performing well, then you have no clue how the draft(and player acquisition) really works or how successful ALL teams typically are in selecting players. Completely unrealistic expectations.

Even if Gilbert ends up sucking(and it's way too early to say that), this was an incredibly successful off season in terms of locating and getting players for this team.

Yet, all we hear about is the one negative, instead of being happy with the 20 positives.

Lighten up, it's just a joke people. I've said nothing about Gilbert to this point. I was only looking for Gip's twist on this year's draft since so many are so down on Gilbert. (Myself not included.)

So pissy when we just had the best comeback win EVER. Sheesh!

Lighten up, it's just a joke people. I've said nothing about Gilbert to this point. I was only looking for Gip's twist on this year's draft since so many are so down on Gilbert. (Myself not included.)

So pissy when we just had the best comeback win EVER. Sheesh!

sorry. just had a great sunday win followed up by a huge loss from one of our brown's board members.

between that and other things going on right now it's been a hard couple of days.

i get the jokes and the 'try to lighten it up' attitude but some people (not you) are so focused on negativity that it's hard to remember what is really important in life. and it ain't a game that get's played on a field for 16 weeks during a year.

that being said the steelers are toast sunday.

Mingo looks like a basketball player wearing pads...

He needs to fill out that huge frame and he'll give offensive lineman something else to think about other than getting blown by.

Sheard and Kruger use their strength and quickness, Mingo is a one trick pony right now, who will probably start to make plays once opposing teams are in must pass situations.

And Bryant, the guy who most teams passed on for selling weed, does in fact look hungry out there, excited to see him earn more reps..

At the end of the game eric martin was rushing the qb not barkivious and martin looked good with a few qb pressures. That should be enough to tell you what the coaches think about mingo.

Do you realistically believe that EVERY player drafted must be good immediately? Can you site a single team or a GM that hits on every player? Is it fair to rip the GM on a bad pick, the same year he hits it out of the park with FA's, UDFA's and 80% of his draft picks?

If you ignore how well Farmer has done and can only see that Gilbert isn't performing well, then you have no clue how the draft(and player acquisition) really works or how successful ALL teams typically are in selecting players. Completely unrealistic expectations.

Even if Gilbert ends up sucking(and it's way too early to say that), this was an incredibly successful off season in terms of locating and getting players for this team.

Yet, all we hear about is the one negative, instead of being happy with the 20 positives.

Agreed

Farmer:

Brought in all three of our running backs that everyone is raving about, None of them here last year.

Brought in all three of our leading receivers, none of them here last year, all performing well.

Drafted Boitono to cement the OL as one of the league's best

Drafted Kirksey who is playing above his draft status.

Brought in Williams who is up for NFL defensive rookie of the week

Gilbert, Manziel and Desir need more time to develop? I'm down with that. Because all three were trendous TALENT picks ... doesn't mean they are NFL ready from day one.

Zombo

Mingo looks like a basketball player wearing pads...

He needs to fill out that huge frame and he'll give offensive lineman something else to think about other than getting blown by.

Sheard and Kruger use their strength and quickness, Mingo is a one trick pony right now, who will probably start to make plays once opposing teams are in must pass situations.

And Bryant, the guy who most teams passed on for selling weed, does in fact look hungry out there, excited to see him earn more reps..

Mingo missed out on the HGH train when he could have used it to bulk up.

Archived