THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyers should be removed as starter

DieHardBrownsFan

Mike Pettine chose to lose, there is no other way to explain it.

He's a coward and he compromised the locker room today, it's over.

That's the only sense I can make out of another heartbreaking loss. Pettine acts like a stubborn fool. By saying he never gave it a thought about switching quarterbacks one has to wonder........whose side is he on? Certainly not the fans who enable him and his staff to collect a paycheck. My guess is he's scared of a higher up like Ray (wouldn't draft a wide receiver) Farmer. Or Brian Hoyer has some scandalous dirt on the whole front office.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all. Neutral observer here, and new poster.

Regardless on who starts next week or the rest of the season, how likely do you think the Browns make the playoffs?

3 wins and we would win any tiebreaker with a divisional opponent. But anything less than 3 and we are done. The loss today, as bad as it was, may help the Browns out this year if it forces Pettine to start Manziel... A win today and Hoyer would likely still be the starter moving forward..

3 wins and we would win any tiebreaker with a divisional opponent. But anything less than 3 and we are done. The loss today, as bad as it was, may help the Browns out this year if it forces Pettine to start Manziel... A win today and Hoyer would likely still be the starter moving forward..

Interesting take............. I don't know if you're 100% correct regarding your win 3 and in theory, but I hope you are right.

This is what bothered me, it was almost as if he came off as arrogant and defiant.

How was Manziel not an option today?

Was there more than the one question and answer from him about it? From what I saw he didn't seem that way at all. His team was winning all game, hard to bench the starter when your team is winning. That being said hoyer should have been benched after the 1st qt, in hindsight. Pettine seems to be getting the most misplaced blame here.

is it me or did you think as long as hoys was in the games the colts would eventually go ahead and get the w?

props to defense for hanging tough while the offense pissed the game away.

time for manziel to help salvage the season.

Yup- was at the game and had little doubt the offense was so stagnant, Luck would find a way to win the game at the end.

I think Hoyer just needs one more week. They are 7-6 behind his leadership, and he put them in a position to win the game today. He might be on the verge of a breakout, and if you play Manziel you'll never know. To pull Hoyer now would be like giving up.

Some people didn't get your sarcasm.

So if Pettine polls the players again do you think they still back Hoyer or do they start to listen from the defensive side of the ball about playing their hearts out only to be left in the dirt with a QB who has now demonstrated over several games that he can score only 2 TD's in some 60 possessions including a ton in great field position today? I suspect I know how Billy Winn would vote at this point. I guess it's time to let JF go out and learn from his mistakes on the field in preparation for next year.

So who's arguing anymore Ag?

No, if you joined this forum after the 2014 NFL draft, and/or have "Texas / Aggies / Johnny" anywhere in your screen name, and/or are the fan of a dude, then you are a Fanboy.

Nah- Tex Ag 1969 is a real football fan- he's way cool.

No we wouldn't. Bengals only loss is to the Browns- 10-5-1 beats our 10-6. Steelers win out- we don't play them again = 11-5. Only division team we'd eliminate in that scenario is the Ravens. Our Wild Card Chances are equally bleak as the Bills and Texans hold head to head tiebreakers over us.

Also if you guys think hell we'll win next week and stoolers and ratbirds wont? Not likely as the stoolers play falcons and ratbirds play jags. Playoffs went out the window when pettine kept billy cundiff on this team and didnt pull hoyer in the 3rd qtr. After those mistakes i still love pettine as a hc. Hes the best weve had in a long time.

See above.

First, good on ya for owning your comment.

But Hoyer had shown good enough to say it's his team up to today. And he did not say that today unless there's more outside the quote. He simply said he expected to start at home against Cinci.

As for the Cam goal-line thing. 10:1 Cam says the same thing. Hoyer's quote was:

"It's a play where I'm expecting Jordan to come underneath, and we've talked about it. And he didn't end up doing it. But I gotta see it and make sure I don't throw the ball."

So Cam did not run the expected route, but Hoyer needs to see if he does not. If one is under a bus, then they both are.

The one I see that is damning is the deep pass overthrow to Gabe. He says, "I gotta hold onto the ball a little longer," but he doesn't. Then adds, "When I let it go from my hand I was like, 'I really got ahold of that.'" In my mind the last bit says, I can't gauge my deep ball. That it was "overcome" is germane to the drive, but not that throw.

And, as if on cue, that damn Snickers commercial just played... ;)

The ball was horribly overthrown. I said many times previously Hoyer's deep accuracy was going to be his downfall. But it wasn't just deep accuracy, he badly flubbed on some intermediate routes Sunday as well.

hard to bench the starter when your team is winning.

The team was winning because of our defense.

It had nothing to do with Hoyer, anyone could see that. He was horrible all game.

We were winning against Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Buffalo for the same reasons until we fell behind.

You simply don't keep a starter in because you're winning when he's performing horribly and you know this.

And this selfish bullshit of "We'll check out the tape, I had some good throws, it was windy, Jordan didn't do his route" blah blah blah.

Just say, "I need to play better"

It had nothing to do with Hoyer, anyone could see that. He was horrible all game.

We were winning against Atlanta, Jacksonville, and Buffalo for the same reasons until we fell behind.

You simply don't keep a starter in because you're winning when he's performing horribly and you know this.

And this selfish bullshit of "We'll check out the tape, I had some good throws, it was windy, Jordan didn't do his route" blah blah blah.

Not defending hoyer at all especially with his lost game quotes. He looked and sounded (his tone) like he knows he's done though.

Just saying, pettine made his decision (obviously it was the wrong one) earlier in the week. It is understandable that he wouldn't make a change while we are winning, even if that lead is in no way because of qb play. Hoyer kept himself in the game with that TD drive, even with the missed throws. This is a tough situation for any coach, he made his choice and stuck to his guns. Yea it was wrong, but I can't place too much blame on him.

Was there more than the one question and answer from him about it? From what I saw he didn't seem that way at all. His team was winning all game, hard to bench the starter when your team is winning. That being said hoyer should have been benched after the 1st qt, in hindsight. Pettine seems to be getting the most misplaced blame here.

I think what you said right here is pretty much what I believe the strategy was. Your winning deep into the 4th qtr. even though your qb is playing like shit you keep him in because if you do come away with a W, chances are your still alive playoff wise, and Hoyer would start against Cincinnati. But with the loss it would take alot of things to happen in our favor to make it in. Since the odds of that isnt very good, you start Johnny at home against Cincinnati.

Thats where your not seeing the big picture bud. If he pulled Hoyer and we won, It would be a near impossible task for a rookie who hasnt played all year to try and continue the playoff push and have any success if we did make it in.

It would be a near impossible task for a rookie who hasnt played all year to try and continue the playoff push and have any success if we did make it in.

It would be more likely I fuck Angelina Jolie before Brian Hoyer takes us into the playoffs.

My point is Pettine's arrogance regarding the QB situation.

"I haven't even thought about it so it's something we'll get together and discuss at some point,''

Like it didn't through his fucking head to pull Hoyer?

It would be more likely I fuck Angelina Jolie before Brian Hoyer takes us into the playoffs.

My point is Pettine's arrogance regarding the QB situation.

"I haven't even thought about it so it's something we'll get together and discuss at some point,''

Like it didn't through his fucking head to pull Hoyer?

After the last few weeks of watching Hoyer shit the bed i agree, hes not gonna get us there. I believe he had his last chance to redeem himself yesterday and he blew it. Still you cant pull your starting qb out of the game with the playoffs on the line and your team winning for 59/60 of the game.

I bet if he had benched hoyer mid game and the browns ended up losing with JF at qb, pettines bosses woulda been more pissed than what went down yesterday.

just fucking shoot me.....

Relax, jim... I think Faded was being ironic.

So by losing we win when had we won we'd lose? Makes the tie-breaker seem easy enough...

But even easier is this site. It says if we win out, then we have an 81% chance of making playoffs.

http://www.playoffstatus.com/nfl/brownswhatif.html

With their tie, we need Cinci to lose to us plus one other team out of Denver and PTG.

We beat the Ravens and it does matter what else they do as we will have the better Division record (tiebreaker #2).

Looks like we cannot win tie-breaker #3 (Common opponents) with Pittsburgh, if they beat Cinci. They have one more, common opponent win. Besides Cinci they have to win one other game to tie us at 10-6.

So our clearest path after we win all three is for Cinci to lose to Denver, but beat PTG... then we win the Division. If we tie with PTG and lose that tie-breaker, then we are in the conference pool for Wild Card spots with Miami (7-6), Houston (7-6), San Diego (8-5) and KC (7-6).

So win out and stay tuned...

The ball was horribly overthrown. I said many times previously Hoyer's deep accuracy was going to be his downfall. But it wasn't just deep accuracy, he badly flubbed on some intermediate routes Sunday as well.

Absolutely... His footwork was way off. Stepped close to sideways twice in Q1 with no one near him... just phantom pressure again. I thought BH had worked his way out of the mechanical issues the past 2 weeks, but there they were.

The first was the goal line INT, a bad decision - bad mechanics twofer. The second was a 3rd and something a series or two later.

That's when I caved.

It was 12:53 CDT.

If that's the case then why did he pull him against Buffalo?

Because we weren't in the game let alone the lead at the time... thus the "59/60" in slimdawg's post.

As in leading for 59 of the 60 minutes...

Pettine will be fine.

The Locker room will be fine.

Give it a rest.

I don't think we beat Cincinnati next week. This team was morally deflated today. One of the worst losses since the return.

I have never seen our defense so fucking on point. They were kick fucking ass and simply got tired.

I'm starting to think we should honestly let Hoyer finish the year so Pettine can choke on his own shit.

Why even risky hurting Manziel. He's our future and him and Hoyer co-existing is shit.

I loved Pettine up until today and I liked Hoyer's leadership up until today. What a cocky arrogant fuck in that presser.

I already said how I felt about his comments. He's petulant and has no talent. He threw Cameron under the bus for an interception he threw to a fucking defender. How about this b-ri? THROW THE FUCKING PLAY BOOK OUT AND FIND YOUR FUCKING RECEIVER. IF A PLAY GETS BROKEN FIND A WAY TO IMPROVISE.

Let's see... Hoyer won the job by knowing the playbook he should now throw out.

Not seeing that happening anytime soon...

I often assume that some posts are so over-the-top,off-the-wall absurd on their face, that readers will conclude that the poster simply must be engaging in sarcasm. But, as in so many things, I am often wrong.

Sometimes the pink font color (actually called "Light Salmon") helps... but not all the time.

Pettine is soft?

Soft coaches deactivate fan favorite, rookie running backs?

Soft coaches green light the release of their only veteran RB?

Back on topic.

Pettine's doing OK but we dropped from first to last in 2 weeks? Games we could've and should've won. I'm still wondering about Jacksonville. WTF happened there (that had to be the turning point for Hoyer) and against the Texans? We looked ike total shit. 2 roughing penalties against Watt and what did we do with them? Hoyer has never been right since the 2013 Buffalo game. 10 - 6 as a starter but 7 - 6 since his return. Stats don't lie.

JAX was our first full game looking for a replacement for Mack. In it we shifted Greco to center and started McQuistan at RG. It was a disaster.

In the four games before Mack was hurt we ran for over 100 yards in three (191, 122, 176).

In the Steelers game when Mack was hurt we ran for 158.

In the six games since we ran for over 100 three times, including today (170, 162, 111).

In the seven games with over 100 yards we are 5-2... the two losses were the PTG opener and the Colts game.

Our two wins with rushing totals under 100 yards were against Oakland (39) and Tampa Bay (56).

Not quite as simple as the above, but the above goes a fair way to explaining things. Growing into a new D explain some more. And Hoyer's issues explain most of the rest.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2014.htm

Mike Pettine is the type of guy to pump the brakes after he's already driven off the cliff.

I can't wait for Haslam to intervene.

Your dumber than a rock... Just go away!

Archived