THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoyers should be removed as starter

DieHardBrownsFan

By "wrong" I mean to say that Johnny is and has been a better option than Hoyer, especially today. I wasn't sure of this until the Buffalo drive, but Pettine should have made the change and I think it cost the game today. I have been saying up until the Buffalo game that Hoyer should start, because the team was winning. I was wrong.

Hoyer is not close to the talent level of Manziel,, and hopefully next week we'll start to see that. You've heard it all before, Anderson, McCoy, whoever, I don't care. With this defense, running game, special teams, receiver corps, the Browns will thrive with Johnny at qb.

You can hate him for the money sign, flipping the bird, going to Cavs games, whatever, he will win games on Sunday.

Think of it this way. With a Hoyer drive, I find myself hoping for no penalties, no negative plays, because there's so little margin for error.

With Manziel,, every play has the possibility of a home run. I just hope that starts next week, cuz Hoyer was horrible today and shouldn't be rewarded with another start.

you should have been here for weeden last year.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hoyer has done his best and has given it the good old college try, but if he says, "you owe it to me to start" one more time, i'm going to fucking throw up.....

When did he say that?

Gawd I agree it's time to replace Brian, but I don't get all the ammo being fired at him.

I think he represents Cleveland and the team very well, but he doesn't have it on the football field so I wish him the best, just not here as a starter.

i'm ready for manziel too, but i doubt success is going to be as easy as it was in the sec.....we've been spoiled by his johnny football heroics....that ain't going to happen in the nfl like it did in college.....i wish it would, but it's just too fucking hard in the pros to do that shit.....so hopefully he's learned something in his time with the practice squad....

If that's the case,

I hope Jimmy is searching for Pettine's replacement. Our owner needs to pull rank here because Pettine is too inept.

This is where you lose me. We can't go through another coach because the ramifications of such a move would be profound. If you don't understand that pls find another team to root for. L.A is clamoring hard for a team and if we go through yet another coaching change Jimmy's basically saying hello C.A coast. Stop it with the coaching change bullshit. Stop. THe most unproductive critique you could possibly give. I'd rather see the return of the prodigal ginger than another coaching change....dead serious no bullshit. I would rather watch Weeden play flip cup with a football than see another change at coaching staff.

He mentioned the brilliance of the defense almost in passing, and talked about how he is going to watch a lot of film to figure out what went wrong. He admitted he didn't play well, but kind of suggested it was more of a team thing, which is a bit of a stretch, I think. I guess I don't know what I expected him to say, but somehow it just didn't do it for me given the offensive flameout that it was. I don't know, maybe I should give him credit for having a little perspective.

I love D play... and I've only read the printed quotes so far, but yeah... that he soft-peddled his praise for the D's effort made me wince. Even if BH is deep in thought with Shanny while the D kicked ass, the crowd reaction would let him know how the D was playing.

And then there are the points... and the field position... and...

What I really want is someone to ask him about his footwork. It has to be a topic of convo in practice. I think it's too late, but sometimes to cure a case of the dreaded "shanks", you have to say the "s" word.

When did he say that?

Gawd I agree it's time to replace Brian, but I don't get all the ammo being fired at him.

I think he represents Cleveland and the team very well, but he doesn't have it on the football field so I wish him the best, just not here as a starter.

You are being disingenuous and if you can't see it it's surely exposed.

He didn't say it directly but if you can't translate that's what he's getting at with "it's still my team" and "I expect to start against Cincinnati"

Of course he didn't say

I remember that Stockton guy serving you all and then you banned him......like fags

I remember he called everyone who didn't agree with him an idiot- about 25 times. I remember Zombo banned him for a week, and told him when he decided to come back to keep his anti-Hoyer rant in one thread. So what's the first thing he does after serving his timeout? Start yet another anti-Hoyer rant. Nah, nah, nah I was right. FYI, there are three Moderators on this board, and it was a unanimous decision he had to go. Congrats Stockton- you were right about Hoyer- that doesn't make you any less of an asshole.

You would PROMOTE Shanny???? HAHA!! Great football IQ you have, and thank you for putting it in writing so everyone can see just how pathetic you are. Fanboy.

Sure, let's just keep the Coaching Carousel turning. Pettine will finish his first year with a better record than- um, Chuck Noll and Tom Landry. By all means, if a coach doesn't make the Playoffs his first season, fire the bum and start over.

He's a rookie head coach too, can't forget that. Like players they are capable of making mistakes. He honestly has a lot of balls for sticking with Hoyer, he didn't pull the Crenell and do the flip flop. I would hope after today he realizes that Hoyer's chances of starting in the NFL are shot.

Exactly. They even put it up on the scoreboards in lights for Pettine to see, though I'm certain he already knew- Hoyer's qbr in the third quarter was something like 39. Yeah, I was there, and even though I've been supporting Brian- I can't any longer. You talk about TEAM losses- well, this one wasn't. Your defense gifted you 14 points Brian. You tossed an interception in the end zone. Missed wide open (Gabriel- I think- haven't watched the tape yet) and Gordon deep that would have been certain touchdowns- by a country mile.

See you later, fags

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out- do us a favor, and don't come back.

Every week when some of us wanted to pull Hoyer you called us "fanboys" and said we weren't real Browns fans. When we said that Hoyer is garbage you jumped on us and said Hoyer is winning games. Us "fanboys" were right. Not about Manziel because we don't know that yet but about Hoyer. Now all of you want to make a change? Hoyer looked no better or worse this game then several games this season. I hope Johnny gets traded to a team that really wants to accomplish things, not go 7-4 and be afraid to make a change. I will root for the Browns so long as Johnny is here but some of you need to raise your expectations a bit for this team and not be satisfied with mediocrity.

Tex- I think you know I've been measured of late in my support of Hoyer. I fully expected Manziel to start today. Pettine decided otherwise- and that's his call. FWIW, a lot of guys who know way more about football than I do thought it was the right decision. Well, the Brown's Playoff Ship just sailed with this loss. NO reason, none, to not see what JFF has got. It would take a frickin' miracle for the Browns to make the playoffs now- even if they should win out.

i'm ready for manziel too, but i doubt success is going to be as easy as it was in the sec.....we've been spoiled by his johnny football heroics....that ain't going to happen in the nfl like it did in college.....i wish it would, but it's just too fucking hard in the pros to do that shit.....so hopefully he's learned something in his time with the practice squad....

I thought this too for awhile, and it won't be easy. Hell, it wasn't easy in the SEC, but Johnny made it look that way. What he did in his first drive against Buffalo will happen a lot. He's accurate, he's smart, he's mobile, and he's getting better every day.

Once he sees the freaking field, and is shown he is believed in by the coaches, his confidence will grow, and he'll get better.

I promise this is all true. Call me fanboy, don't care.

I thought this too for awhile, and it won't be easy. Hell, it wasn't easy in the SEC, but Johnny made it look that way. What he did in his first drive against Buffalo will happen a lot. He's accurate, he's smart, he's mobile, and he's getting better every day.

Once he sees the freaking field, and is shown he is believed in by the coaches, his confidence will grow, and he'll get better.

I promise this is all true. Call me fanboy, don't care.

Well let's see it then and stop talking about it

I think Hoyer just needs one more week. They are 7-6 behind his leadership, and he put them in a position to win the game today. He might be on the verge of a breakout, and if you play Manziel you'll never know. To pull Hoyer now would be like giving up.

just fucking shoot me.....

Hoyer will finish out the season. What have you seen from this organization that would make you think any different?

A bunch of bad games in a row, including the current stinker, as Tour pointed out? Sure, he's beaten the Bengals, but that's not a valid enough reason to trot him out there again next week.

Today's game?

What you said.

The real pros are getting ready for the game, not hanging with LeBron.

I don't want a regime change either but when your coach isn't on the same page as your GM, owner, coordinators, and you have a QB controversy and handle it like a coward, whatcha gonna do man?

Walter, you didn't get the message. Pettine asked his coordinators, GM, and the vet players who they wanted to start. The answer wasn't Manziel.

I remember reading this thing about John McEnroe years ago written by a guy who had been a really good junior tennis player, and had hosted McEnroe at his house for a week when they were kids, for some reason or another. He said McEnroe couldn't stand to lose at anything, and won every game of anything they played, from ping pong to Monopoly. I think Manziel has some of that in him.

McEnroe was a tennis genius,so his fans (among whom I was included) cut him some slack, though he really could be a jerk in a way that I frankly haven't seen from Manziel. Remains to be seen if Manziel can make the same claim to genius, though.

Having played competitive tennis, I loved McEnroe, and not just because he played left handed- as I do, and happened to prefer the same racquet I also liked. I think I still hold the Dayton team record for a racquet toss- over two courts, and a 20' tall pine tree, I was so pissed. But tennis is different from football. Unless you're playing doubles- your success is all on you, not on how your teammates perceive you.

Here's all I can say:

Mike Pettine has been fed up with the antics of Manziel for quite some time (late night stuff, the vegas stuff, etc)

Mike Pettine and a few veterans prefer Hoyer

Kyle Shanahan prefers Manziel because he benefits the offense more.

A lot of people want Manziel to start within the organization but are afraid to speak up for job security reasons.

Hoyer WILL NOT be back UNDER ANY circumstance next year barring a miracle.

I honestly, truly, deep down believe if Harbaugh becomes available Haslam will make a run at him.

Seconded.

Back on topic.

Pettine's doing OK but we dropped from first to last in 2 weeks? Games we could've and should've won. I'm still wondering about Jacksonville. WTF happened there (that had to be the turning point for Hoyer) and against the Texans? We looked ike total shit. 2 roughing penalties against Watt and what did we do with them? Hoyer has never been right since the 2013 Buffalo game. 10 - 6 as a starter but 7 - 6 since his return. Stats don't lie.

I agree that Hoyer had a bad game today - especially in the second half. I just hate criticizing him when the receivers dropped critical passes and the refs let obvious penalties go. I really thought the ref calls favored the colts today. Also, Gordon had a terrible game and if he catches the last pass, we could have won the game on a last second field goal. Benji dropped a critical first down pass and I know there was a lot more.

Nonetheless, Hoyer has done nothing in over a month and that's a big enough volume of work to bench him. I can't explain the poor decision to throw the first interception today, or the three critical overthrows of wide open receivers. If I were Hoyer, I would have thrown my helmet at Gordon in the locker room on the bomb play. It missed him by a foot but Gordon stumbles coming out of the stop-and-go and he's moving like a lumberjack with cement shoes. Something's wrong there - I'm not seeing the same Gordon.

I have no idea why Hoyer wasn't pulled for JM. I heard it was because he was at the Cavs game on Wednesday or has not been working hard. If so, I don't agree with the decision. Hover was awful in a critical game. I don't care who or what, for God's sake you have to put in the back-up (yes, even with a lead)

You are being disingenuous and if you can't see it it's surely exposed.

He didn't say it directly but if you can't translate that's what he's getting at with "it's still my team" and "I expect to start against Cincinnati"

Of course he didn't say

So now you say that he did not say what you said he said, but bb is wrong for saying he did not say what you said he said, but he did not say.

That about sum it up?

Oh... and did he say "this is my team" today?

Everything I think I've heard that supposedly originated from the team says he's the first guy in and the last guy out. Am I getting that wrong?

OK, maybe I'm being a little harsh on Manziel. Joe Haden has long been seen in the stands at Cavs games.

McEnroe? I liked my tennis heroes a little more well-mannered like Jimmy Connors.

Who was an angel...

Compared to McEnroe.

Loved their US Open battles. I can still see Jimmy wagging his finger at John.

And, yes, I owned a T-2000...

As for the competitiveness, yes... I want it in our QB. But having it, even to excess, does not mean you have to be a jerk... does not mean you can't be humble.

What burns within is not always visible without...

Archived