THE BROWNS BOARD

Good game, thoughts from Ravens perspective on Game and Season, and a question

PurplePantyWaste

I Hope you guys beat the steelers then get demolished by anyone else.

Man, I'd be fine with getting squashed in the divisional so long as we beat the Steelers. I'd rather beat the Steelers in the playoffs every year for eternity than see us win another superbowl. Though I'm fine with both happening as well...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bengals are the only team I would root for in the AFCN. I can't stand the Ravens or Steelers. At least Paul Brown started the Bengals.

I'll be rooting for Cardinals this year.

I'll also be rooting on the Colts. For Cirbbs, DQ and Trent to get rings would be nice to see.

That being said, I guess my list right now off the top of my head would go like this:

Detroit

Arizona

Carolina

Cincinnati

Indianapolis

Green Bay

Seattle

The remaining teams I simply dont want to see get anywhere, but if I had to list them:

Dallas / New England Tie

Denver

Baltimore

Pittsburgh

Why Detroit? Detroit going to the Super Bowl would leave Cleveland all by its lonesome as the only founding NFL team to have never made a SB appearance.

The only other teams that never made an appearance are JAX and Hou....but they are much newer franchises.

Man, I'd be fine with getting squashed in the divisional so long as we beat the Steelers. I'd rather beat the Steelers in the playoffs every year for eternity than see us win another superbowl. Though I'm fine with both happening as well...

I would root for the bengals as well...their fans deserve it. Can't think of another fan base that has suffered without a championship as long as they have.

My only reservation against rooting for the Panthers if the Ravens lose is the fact they're a sub 500 team in the playoffs.

Exactly. Hoping another sub 500 loser wins the Super Bowl makes a browns fan feel better about his team.

The Bengals have never won a championship since their creation in 1968.....which by the way is after the "SuperBowl era". They didn't exist in the non Super Bowl era. They came closest in 1981 and 1988 when they faced the 49ers in the Super Bowl. Both games were fairly close losses.

No team from Cincinnati/SW Ohio has ever won a pro football championship.

On the contrary, teams from Cleveland and NE Ohio have won 13 pro football championships.....tied with Green Bay for most by any city/region. (FYI, Baltimore area has 5: 3 by the Colts, 2 by Ravens)

Here is your history lesson for the day.

LoL.. the AAFC? Does Cleveland have an Arena Football championship too? May as well count that.

The AAFC was the Arena Football league of the 1940's.

The Packers have the most championships that matter period.

Sorry, but if you're a Browns fan and you root for any other AFCN team you are a cunt. ESPECIALLY CINCINNATI. If two of these teams play one another you hope for a tornado/asteroid strike/terrorism. It's never acceptable under any circumstances to pull for any of these teams. Unless you have money on the game. Then it's OK.

Why Detroit? Detroit going to the Super Bowl would leave Cleveland all by its lonesome as the only founding NFL team to have never made a SB appearance.

The only other teams that never made an appearance are JAX and Hou....but they are much newer franchises.

The Browns weren't a "founding franchise", neither were the Lions. These were (are) the "founding Franchises"

Akron Professionals

• Buffalo All-Americans

• Canton Bulldogs

• Chicago Cardinals

• Chicago Tigers

• Cleveland Tigers

• Columbus Panhandles

• Dayton Triangles

• Decatur Staleys

• Detroit Heralds

• Hammond Pros

• Muncie Flyers

• Rochester (N.Y.) Jeffersons

• Rock Island Independents

The only Franchises still extant are the Cardinals- and the Decatur Staleys- Who became the Chicago Bears. All the other franchises folded. The Packers joined the league one year later. BTW, the very first NFL game was played here in Dayton- at Triangle Park.

Exactly. Hoping another sub 500 loser wins the Super Bowl makes a browns fan feel better about his team.

LoL.. the AAFC? Does Cleveland have an Arena Football championship too? May as well count that.

Don't get Gip all mad. the AAFC was far from "Arena League". The Browns proved it- winning the Championship in 1950 when they joined the NFL. BTW, I and most others don't like how Gip is counting, though he's technically right. He's going all the way back to the days of the Canton Bulldogs.

Why would I care that Cleveland is left behind as the only team not to make it to the SB? That's whiny loser attitude, which I know you want to assume all Browns fans are.

Detroit is one of the oldest teams, originally started in Ohio actually, and I believe has the longest drought of winning a championship...like 1957. That's seven years older than the Browns last championship. Arizona is the only one longer, I believe, but they were in the Superbowl not too long ago so that's why they are second instead of first.

Don't get Gip all mad. the AAFC was far from "Arena League". The Browns proved it- winning the Championship in 1950 when they joined the NFL. BTW, I and most others don't like how Gip is counting, though he's technically right. He's going all the way back to the days of the Canton Bulldogs.

Even if we just go with the Browns championships, if the Steelers won again this year they'd still be one behind.

Steelers vs Ratbirds, my triage take:

• I have hated Pittsburgh since I became an aware fan in 1970
  • I absolutely hated how they got every damn call in the 70s. I did begrudgingly love Jack Lambert though, and thought Bradshaw was clutch. Their defense was truly one of the best ever despite my hate.
  • Three Rivers Jinx was horrible- we got robbed in 1979 when the Steelers fumbled the OT kickoff, refs said guy (Anderson?) was down, total bullshit.
  • Art crushed our hearts in 1995, Rooney said it was bullshit
  • I always thought I hated the Steelers the most, until the 2008 AFC Championship...I was rooting for the Ratbirds to lose (not the Steelers to win); I guess it was a Freudian slip that I never really knew I hated Baltimore more.
  • Plus, a franchise like Baltimore glorifying Ray Lewis, even ESPN has done that. Horrible
  • Ozzie Newsome defending Ray Rice, wtf

So yeah, I once again will be rooting for the Ratbirds to lose, not Pittsburgh to win this week

The Lions are not a found franchise of the NFL. The only two "founding franchises" are the Bears and the Cardinals still active....and the Packers who came into the league one year later.....the Giants who came in 4 years later. All other franchises didn't come into existance until at least 10-12 years after the NFL was formed.

Well, here is a stat you may not know....but should......Out of the 32 NFL franchises.....15 have never won a "Super Bowl" (NFL title since 1966).

A considerable number are only 0-1 in SBs.

are you stupid. The AAFC was better than the NFL at that time. You are ignorant if you think otherwise. What AAFC came in and dominated the NFL?

(Yes, the Packers as a single franchise have the most championships. Cleveland area's titles are divided among several franchises.

A

I can sorta root for the Packers. It's cool a town, literally a town, like that loves and, officially, supports the franchise. I don't root for, but enjoy watching, Seattle. I dream the Browns could copy Seattle, minus Sherman acting like a MF'g pro wrestler.

In our division, I know I'm in the minority, but I hate Baltimore the most. With Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, it's a rivalry, but just a football rivalry. The Move, The Fumble and The Drive combined to scar my childhood.

In our division, I know I'm in the minority, but I hate Baltimore the most. With Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, it's a rivalry, but just a football rivalry. The Move, The Fumble and The Drive combined to scar my childhood.

I don't hate Baltimore because they aren't the "Old Browns" anymore. There isn't a player on roster that was around for The Move and its time to get past that. I despise the Ratbirds for their whiny fanbase. I LOATHE Pittsburgh fans because they're toothless mountain people. Seriously, these are the fuckers that sell out WWE shows on a constant basis.

The Bungles I have less of an issue with. Been to a couple games in Cincy, most of the fans are cool with Browns fans. We have heartbreaking history and a long standing series of ineptitude.

For the most part, many of them would pull for the Brownies should we make the playoffs and they don't. Lets be honest with ourselves, if the Browns never existed, we'd all be Bengals fans.

I LOATHE Pittsburgh fans because they're toothless mountain people. Seriously, these are the fuckers that sell out WWE shows on a constant basis.

I hate pittspuke and their fans...but sorry to break this to you but the WWE shows sell out all across the country and all over the world every single Monday night.

Lets be honest with ourselves, if the Browns never existed, we'd all be Bengals fans.

Why? I believe that if there were no team here in Cleveland we would see this place rampant with FRAKs. I mean, a dicknose like Ben Roethlisberger who grew up in Findlay wasn't a fan of the Browns/Bengals/Lions which were a lot closer to him......but was a 49ers fan because he like Joe Montana. I think there would be a lot of that. Even though Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cincy are closer you would have your share of FRAK Cowboy fans, 49er fans, Giants fans.....whoever is winning.

Lets be honest with ourselves, if the Browns never existed, we'd all be Bengals fans.

Why? I believe that if there were no team here in Cleveland we would see this place rampant with FRAKs. I mean, a dicknose like Ben Roethlisberger who grew up in Findlay wasn't a fan of the Browns/Bengals/Lions which were a lot closer to him......but was a 49ers fan because he like Joe Montana. I think there would be a lot of that. Even though Detroit, Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Cincy are closer you would have your share of FRAK Cowboy fans, 49er fans, Giants fans.....whoever is winning.

Are you suggesting that the majority of Browns fans would be FRAKs if no Cleveland team existed? :)

Never existed? Interesting thought... and likely with much different loyalties than had they existed, but never came back and become the Baltimore Browns. However, I don't see Bengals as an outcome in either case.

Never: I'd likely be a Bears fan.

After: Due to relocation I'd be all in for Houston.

But, had the Browns never existed, then Art Modell could never have fired Paul Brown, making him angry enough to create our cross state rival Bengals in the first place.....meaning the Bengals are the Browns angry stepchild, fathered by PB, almost wearing our colors, etc......so....

Which came first? The chicken or the Bengal?

I don't hate Baltimore because they aren't the "Old Browns" anymore. There isn't a player on roster that was around for The Move and its time to get past that. I despise the Ratbirds for their whiny fanbase. I LOATHE Pittsburgh fans because they're toothless mountain people. Seriously, these are the fuckers that sell out WWE shows on a constant basis.

The Bungles I have less of an issue with. Been to a couple games in Cincy, most of the fans are cool with Browns fans. We have heartbreaking history and a long standing series of ineptitude.

For the most part, many of them would pull for the Brownies should we make the playoffs and they don't. Lets be honest with ourselves, if the Browns never existed, we'd all be Bengals fans.

Why don't you shut the fuck up you immature hick. Your an embarrishment to any fan base. Suck my balls!

Browns existed well before the Bungles were a gleam in Paul Brown's eye.

Are you suggesting that the majority of Browns fans would be FRAKs if no Cleveland team existed? :)

Well, lets just say that there would be vastly divided loyalties. Close to Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Cincy so all those ties would pull and yes, a fair amount of people would just go for the flavor of the day.

For 40 years no one thought diddly about the Seacawks....and now you do hear about how a lost of people like that team.

It would happen. Inevitable. I honestly could NOT say that if the Browns weren't around that I would be a Lions/Bengals/Steeler/Bills fan, no. Hell, like since there is no hockey team here I would only be peripherally interested in football. I would be mostly interested in the Cavs and Indians if they were here, and have no particular favorite when it came to football.

Like right now with hockey.....I guess, maybe that I would prefer the Columbus Blue Jackets.....but I may have watched all of 5 minutes of any games of their combined this year.

(But....fyi, I DO like watching the outside hockey games played on New Years.....oddly there is something more interesting about those games than the usual meaningless bowl games we have had in the past. That may certainly change this year with the New year's bowls being part of the college football playoffs)

But, had the Browns never existed, then Art Modell could never have fired Paul Brown, making him angry enough to create our cross state rival Bengals in the first place.....meaning the Bengals are the Browns angry stepchild, fathered by PB, almost wearing our colors, etc......so....

Which came first? The chicken or the Bengal?

The butterfly effect.

Archived