THE BROWNS BOARD

Thoughts On Wild Card Games

miktoxic

I don't think the players or coaches are in on it but league officials and referees who steer games towards a given outcome. They want Green Bay/Dallas and will favor anything to boost ratings for the big markets or big time QB's.

Then we better get a big time QB, because Cleveland sure isn't a big time market.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the players or coaches are in on it but league officials and referees who steer games towards a given outcome. They want Green Bay/Dallas and will favor anything to boost ratings for the big markets or big time QB's.

LOL. So now we know why the Browns have been down so long. Repent ye sinners! (if you can remember what the original sin was). :lol:

Chris Christie is a Cowboy hugger?

I bet all those Giants fans that voted him into office loved seeing that.

Zombo

The NFL doesn't comment on ref calls

They do if a call/ missed call was egregious. They've even issued apologies in the past.

No sure if the interference call/ non-call qualifies, but no call on a helmetless Dez on the field has to be addressed.

Well...I have to say that there was a lot of questionable stuff going on in that game....first time I ever felt like a team(Detroit) wasn't gonna be allowed to win without an extraordinary effort.....did not seem like a level playing field to me.....

It seemed that the Lions receiver was pushing off as much as the Dallas DB was mugging, and may have started to push off before the DB "interfered". I've seen much worse non calls. If the flag was never thrown then it would probably not be as much of an issue.

but it WAS thrown and even if they picked it up, where was the flag on dez bryant without his helmet?

don't be giving dallas a pass on this shit. the fact that jerrah junior is good friends with the head of officiating?????? (remember the video of the guy getting off the dallas party bus with him?)

LOL. So now we know why the Browns have been down so long. Repent ye sinners! (if you can remember what the original sin was). :lol:

"We" you're one of us now Ag. :)

They do if a call/ missed call was egregious. They've even issued apologies in the past.

No sure if the interference call/ non-call qualifies, but no call on a helmetless Dez on the field has to be addressed.

They sure do, and you'd have to go back to Bottlegate to see something as bad. Should have been unsportsmanlike conduct on Dez- and BTW no defensive holding on that play either. Those refs should never do another playoff game.

B6jCP7oCYAAqQ1C.jpg

HMMMM Could you be more full of shit?

If nothing else, it was offsetting penalties, and replay the down.

E, too bad 90% of the rest of NFL fans don't agree with you, and think the Lions got majorly hosed.

The fact is they could have called both holding on the D and face masking on the O. The rest was chicken fighting started by the O player which is usually a non-call, especially on a pass that had no chance of burrowing through the back of the defender for a completion. It was a bad call in the first place for the wrong thing. I'm not a Boys fan but Walter you are showing your own prejudice against 'em by insisting there is no other way to see this but yours. Trent Dilfer can be added to your list of idiots since he thought it was no call and that gutless decision making by Detroit led to the loss.

It wasnt pass interference. Player was going away from the ball and he had his hand on the Cowboy players face mask. Face guarding is not a foul either. Dez on the field is not an automatic flag. Defensive holding could have been called. Either way game was far from over.

Tony Romo is proving his haters wrong.

Was a tough game. Detriot played great. My Cowboys never give up. They are mentally tough.

btw, thank you Zombo for fixing my screen name.

I should have changed it to "Delusional" if you don't think that isn't pass interference.

Take the googles off.

Doesn't mean they don't deserve the win, it is only one play ... but, c'mon you'd have more cred if you admitted they shouldn't have picked up the flag.

10429855_10205370911214796_6877428635223

for the record the league has come out and said that should have been defensive holding: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/12124549/dean-blandino-holding-call-missed-vs-dallas-cowboys-lb-anthony-hitchens

Z, that screenshot is literally at the last second before the pass. I get what that picture makes it look like but when you watch it real-time it's pretty good defense. The gif doesn't show the the hold of the jersey before though which is all but an automatic call nowadays and as I understand why the one ref threw the flag. No way the flag should have gotten picked up, but other than the hold it's a pretty clean play. You can make a very logical argument that the receiver's path was not impeded.

lions%20cowboys.gif

You can make a very logical argument that the receiver's path was not impeded.

If you're blind... and "path" is not the operative word.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

or

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

Take your pick...

Yes, there was a bunch of incidental hand fighting.

Yes, two fingers did touch the 'Boy's face mask (people really need to think before they start arguing for that as a penalty).

But there is a line where hand fighting ends and PI begins, and in this instance it was crossed by one player... and he was wearing white.

To my eye the crossing occurred when the LB pushed on the TE's right shoulder with his left hand.

If you're blind... and "path" is not the operative word.

Actions that constitute defensive pass interference include but are not limited to:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

or

(d) Extending an arm across the body of a receiver thus restricting his ability to catch a pass, regardless of whether the defender is playing the ball.

Take your pick...

Yes, there was a bunch of incidental hand fighting.

Yes, two fingers did touch the 'Boy's face mask (people really need to think before they start arguing for that as a penalty).

But there is a line where hand fighting ends and PI begins, and in this instance it was crossed by one player... and he was wearing white.

To my eye the crossing occurred when the LB pushed on the TE's right shoulder with his left hand.

All I can say is that we're watching two different things if that's your opinion. Pettigrew? never comes back to the ball is a overt motion and in fact falls down with forward momentum. Face guarding is not in and of itself illegal, and the contact there is is nothing but hand fighting which isn't called often. He wasn't pushed down with the shoulder contact, that was all momentum taking him down. I'd also plainly argue the left arm comes down almost instantaneously (maybe a half second ahead) with the pass arriving which is obviously good defense. It looks bad because his back is turned but the variables are there for a non PI call. Again though, there was a clear jersey hold which the refs admitted should have been called, and I'd agree the flag shouldn't have been picked up. Hell I hate the Cowboys but we as fans have to take a stand on good defense before it's totally gone.

Does not have to be "pushed down".

TE is reaching back for the ball.

If you push on his shoulder, then you "interfere" with his ability to reach back.

Does not have to be "pushed down".

TE is reaching back for the ball.

If you push on his shoulder, then you "interfere" with his ability to reach back.

I suppose we'll just agree to disagree then. That shoulder contact is very minimal (wouldn't you agree?) and if the game is called on contact like that they could throw a flag on every pass play. If Pettigrew had stopped his momentum and had a more overt attempt at the catch, I'd agree 100%. But defenders, especially LB's, have to have a chance to face guard like that. Defenders have a right to be there just as much as the offensive player. It's the same nature of holding- it could be called every play if you wanted to by 100% strict definition. Gotta let them play out here a little bit. Again, just so people don't get me twisted I don't think the flag should have been picked up.

Agree to disagree? Sure... but as we travel that road.

No, I do not agree that the shoulder push was minimal. If I thought it was, I'd have to be pretty stupid to base my case upon it. Agree?

Is it not clear that the TE was stopping his momentum because he saw the ball coming, but was unable to do so because the LB saw to it that he could not stop?

Archived