THE BROWNS BOARD

RUMOUR - Browns offer both first round picks to Titans

LondonBrown

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SportsCenter

Browns offer two 1st-round picks to Titans for No. 2 overall selection, where they would plan to take Marcus Mariota. (via @PatMcManamon)

And the Titans have supposedly turned that and more down. Non story. Farmer is now officially a doofus in my book. Rule #1 of drafting- don't fall in love with a particular player.

Well, then, we would have 3 first round draft picks invested in QBs.....neither of whom we think would be at all ready to play in the NFL

(and truly....see another post of mine....a rookie QB should NOT be expected to play in the NFL). Both of whom could be total busts.

Well....QB is our most desperate time.....and desperate times call for desperate measures.

How legit is this? I have trouble believing this would get leaked so specifically.

you can't do anything these days without something slipping out on social media. i don't know how legit it is but they just reported it on ESPN (take that for what it's worth).

i would have hoped we kept one of the first rounders for this year but maybe farmer thinks he can trade back up into the first or trade up for another pick in the 2nd..........who knows. or maybe he wants the card for kelly to come offer his team on a silver platter. just hope it has nothing to do with bradford. then we'd be on the list of bum QBs on our roster.

or this could be farmer's way of making other teams show their hands.

There's no way Tennessee would take that. St. Louis got 3 1st and 2nd in the RG3 trade. If we are only giving up 2 1st they are going to get a significant player also. Maybe Joe Thomas Alex Mack or tashaun Gipson

And, because of that trade, nobody will offer that much again. That trade both set and then consequently destroyed the market for trading up into the top 10. We can offer two firsts and let Tennessee shop around, they won't get a similar deal. If Tennessee is set on Mariota, nothing will budge them out of that spot. If they aren't set on taking Mariota, that puts us in the driver's seat.

JFF

Wouldn't that be something?

And the Titans have supposedly turned that and more down. Non story. Farmer is now officially a doofus in my book. Rule #1 of drafting- don't fall in love with a particular player.

I don't know if he is a doofus.

A. He apparently does have marching orders from Jimmah......get me a QB.

B. QB is the Browns most urgent need.....and QB is the most important position on the field....yada yada.

C. The Browns really don't have a reliable QB

So 2 first round picks would not be so bad for the right guy....but:

D. Is this the "right guy"? No one...no one thinks he is a sure thing. As far as I am concerned he would need to sit for at least a year or more....but:

E. If it turns out....if this guy is the next Donovan McNabb or some such, then 2 1st rounders would work.

And, because of that trade, nobody will offer that much again. That trade both set and then consequently destroyed the market for trading up into the top 10. We can offer two firsts and let Tennessee shop around, they won't get a similar deal. If Tennessee is set on Mariota, nothing will budge them out of that spot. If they aren't set on taking Mariota, that puts us in the driver's seat.

Fair point......Tennesse says "Washington paid X for RGIII....that's what we want." 31 other teams say....."yea, and look what Washington got for all that X.....a pile of doodoo maybe, so NO, you can't have that much....take it or leave it." Then the Tits would have to decide.

None of us saw Manziel behind closed doors last year. I appreciate that Haden and Thomas are going to the media recently to help support Manziel. However we just don't know at this point. Hes a true question mark. Two scenarios below if we can draft Mariota.

Trade Manziel and get two conditional picks for 2016 and 2017 drafts and keep Mariota. This would be my key to the Mariota trade up. Try to get a deal done with the Saints, Chargers, Eagles, or Cowboys for 2016 and 2017 7th Rounders that can be worth up to a 2nd's depending on the escalators (specifically 2017, when Manziel could be a fulltime starter to actually hit the escalators)

Another thing would be to draft Mariota and then turn him around the the Eagles for Bradford, 20, and an additional player/pick.

He meant to say, different stupid GM, different year.

Honestly, Mariota is Hawiian RG3 minus the knee. Which, if he plays anything like Robert did he rookie year, the knee injury will come shortly.

first off he might be off the table at 2. then it's either winston or field all other offers for him.

how can farmer be dumb for looking for a franchise QB? if you think it was farmer that picked manziel last year you are out of your mind.

besides we don't know what this is. if anything i see deflippo as the driving force behind anything mariota. i'm sure pettine wants defense. if all it costs is 2 first to move up and get the guy you want then that's pretty cheap (for a franchise QB). does he come with question? sure, but not off the field.

Another thing would be to draft Mariota and then turn him around the the Eagles for Bradford, 20, and an additional player/pick.

So, piss away two top 20 picks for Bradford, a mystery player and #20?

Yep... Cleveland being Cleveland. I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on that deal even if Fletcher Cox came with it.

I don't know if he is a doofus. A. He apparently does have marching orders from Jimmah......get me a QB. B. QB is the Browns most urgent need.....and QB is the most important position on the field....yada yada. C. The Browns really don't have a reliable QB

So 2 first round picks would not be so bad for the right guy....but:

D. Is this the "right guy"? No one...no one thinks he is a sure thing. As far as I am concerned he would need to sit for at least a year or more....but:

D. If it turns out....if this guy is the next Donovan McNabb or some such, then 2 1st rounders would work.

Depends if you really believe Jimmuh is the one really calling the shots.

Problem is- the Titans are going to want an RG III sell the ranch deal to move the #2 pick- and don't forget the Redskins gave up a higher picks than our #12. They may well just take MM themselves, if they feel they're not getting the value they want.

From Wiki- why would the Titans take less?

After a brief bidding process, the Redskins acquired the pick by giving the Rams four high-value draft picks over three years: their first-round picks in 2012 (No.6 overall), 2013 (No.22 overall), and 2014 (No.2 overall), as well as their second-round pick (No.39 overall) in 2012.

I agree the Browns can come back and say- the Redskins RG III deal was one of the worst in history-only topped by the Hershel Walker trade.

BTW, I'm starting to choke on the pre-draft smoke, I'm going to have to tune out until Thursday night.

So, piss away two top 20 picks for Bradford, a mystery player and #20?

Yep... Cleveland being Cleveland. I'm not sure I'd pull the trigger on that deal even if Fletcher Cox came with it.

How is it pissing away two Top 20 picks when you are getting Pick 20 in return (literally losing one spot in a draft where picks 15-35 probably aren't that different in talent, potential, and projection)

Basically it would be Pick 12 for Bradford and Cox (let's just use him)

how can farmer be dumb for looking for a franchise QB?

The same reason why I called Holmgren a jackass for taking Weedeater, the same reason I laughed at Phil Savage for Quinn, Oakland for Russell, Jacksonville for Gabbert...

These men/organizations all convinced themselves they saw something that wasn't there. Pretty simple.

The same reason why I called Holmgren a jackass for taking Weedeater, the same reason I laughed at Phil Savage for Quinn, Oakland for Russell, Jacksonville for Gabbert...

These men/organizations all convinced themselves they saw something that wasn't there. Pretty simple.

then we hired a dumbass for OC. not GM.

i hadn't heard anything last year or this year until diphlippo came onboard.

listen, you know i want shelton and best LB available in the first round. how we get them i don't know or care.

then we hired a dumbass for OC. not GM.

i hadn't heard anything last year or this year until diphlippo came onboard.

listen, you know i want shelton and best LB available in the first round. how we get them i don't know or care.

I wouldn't say 'dumbass'. Flips position is to coach offense, no evaluate talent. I've seen people that can do one or the other, rarely both.

Fact is, if the rookie OC is pushing our GM for Mariota and Farmer isn't sold on him, then Farmer needs to have the sand to say 'no', this is our vision and we're sticking to it.

^+1.

I wouldn't say 'dumbass'. Flips position is to coach offense, no evaluate talent. I've seen people that can do one or the other, rarely both.

Fact is, if the rookie OC is pushing our GM for Mariota and Farmer isn't sold on him, then Farmer needs to have the sand to say 'no', this is our vision and we're sticking to it.

There maybe some truth in that. Plenty of scouts think MM isn't "NFL ready".

Depends if you really believe Jimmuh is the one really calling the shots.

Problem is- the Titans are going to want an RG III sell the ranch deal to move the #2 pick- and don't forget the Redskins gave up a higher picks than our #12. They may well just take MM themselves, if they feel they're not getting the value they want.

From Wiki- why would the Titans take less?

After a brief bidding process, the Redskins acquired the pick by giving the Rams four high-value draft picks over three years: their first-round picks in 2012 (No.6 overall), 2013 (No.22 overall), and 2014 (No.2 overall), as well as their second-round pick (No.39 overall) in 2012.

I agree the Browns can come back and say- the Redskins RG III deal was one of the worst in history-only topped by the Hershel Walker trade.

BTW, I'm starting to choke on the pre-draft smoke, I'm going to have to tune out until Thursday night.

If the Titans are entertaining offers on Mariota...then they aren't sold on him - and you don't take a QB at #2 that you aren't sold on. If they're truly entertaining offers, then they are going to trade out of that position regardless - because even a handful of other picks is better than taking a guy at #2 that you don't know if you want.

So we don't have to beat the Redskins trade...we just have to beat everyone else looking to trade this year.

We hold the bargaining chips, not Tennessee.

Archived