THE BROWNS BOARD

RUMOUR - Browns offer both first round picks to Titans

LondonBrown

If Mariota is Aaron Rodgers, he's worth 3 high picks...

If he's JaMarcus Russell, he's worthless...

If we trade up for him, it's because Farmer and co think hes closer to Rodgers...

I agree and therein lies the draft mystique. We all know this a QB driven league and while you can win without Tom Brady, Alex Smith typically only takes you so far. If Farmer and company think Mariota is the franchise guy then the picks are irrelevant but then their fate his tied to his.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from swinging the bat.

If Mariota turns out to be an Aaron Rodgers, then the picks are immaterial. If Mariota turns out to be Akili Smith, then we're basically no worse off than we are at this current point in time - we're still missing a QB.

Titans will want far more than our 2 first rounders ........ they will want our 2nd and next years first at least.....fuck that

We have holes to fill.....If Farmer does this I question his intelligence .....

If Mariota turns out to be an Aaron Rodgers, then the picks are immaterial. If Mariota turns out to be Akili Smith, then we're basically no worse off than we are at this current point in time - we're still missing a QB.

Agreed. Not to mention, Shelton is just as likely, or actually slightly more likely. to bust as Mariota, based on percentages. And WRs... good odds of having no impact in the W column...

Titans will want far more than our 2 first rounders ........ they will want our 2nd and next years first at least.....fuck that

If thats the case, let them draft Mariota... I'd call their bluff because I dont think he's who they want at 2... For whatever reason...

If thats the case, let them draft Mariota... I'd call their bluff because I dont think he's who they want at 2... For whatever reason...

Exactly.

People are saying "Oh, the Titans will want more" like they're determining the market and also like we're required to give it to them.

We don't have to give Tennessee what they want, we just have to give them more than anyone else. If they want 3 firsts and a second, good luck...nobody is giving that.

The people claiming that the Redskins trade set the market don't understand economic fluctuations in the least. A market economy isn't static, it's dynamic. What the Redskins gave up two years ago does not determine the market this year whatsoever.

If Tennessee wants three firsts and a second, let them take Mariota. My gut is they don't do it.

Very dangerous way of thinking.

If Tennessee wants three firsts and a second, let them take Mariota. My gut is they don't do it.

Right. I'm thinking we end up dealing with the Redskins with one of the following:

A: #12 and #19 and our 3rd or 4th for their #5 and their 3rd or 4th

We take Mariota at #5, Goldman, Orchard, or the best WR available in the 2nd, and have a 4th, 5th, 2 6th, 7th, and a 3rd/4th we get back from the Redskins to move around and fill other needs...

OR

B: #12, #43 and one of our 4th rounders for #5 (not as likely, but probably better for us)

We take Mariota at #5 and the best NT, pass-rusher, or WR at #19 and still have a 3rd, 4th, 5th, 2 6th, and a 7th...

If the Titans are entertaining offers on Mariota...then they aren't sold on him - and you don't take a QB at #2 that you aren't sold on. If they're truly entertaining offers, then they are going to trade out of that position regardless - because even a handful of other picks is better than taking a guy at #2 that you don't know if you want.

So we don't have to beat the Redskins trade...we just have to beat everyone else looking to trade this year.

We hold the bargaining chips, not Tennessee.

Sorry Gip- they hold the high card, we don't. So if the Titans aren't sold on MM we should be to the tune of at least 2 first round picks?

They made the,offer. Mariota is not that good. He never had to read a defense and has never thrown into tight coverage. A project at best. He's not a day one starter. So we won't get Shelton, Malcom Brown, La'el Collins or even a wide receiver. If this happens it will be a step in the wrong direction. Absolutely need a run stopper!

Nope, BSPN is saying we made the offer- don't believe every thing you hear.

If Mariota is Aaron Rodgers, he's worth 3 high picks...

If he's JaMarcus Russell, he's worthless...

If we trade up for him, it's because Farmer and co think hes closer to Rodgers...

And if they guess wrong, welcome to the unemployment line, while Browns fans put up with another 2 years of crap qb play.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH JUST PICKING AT 12 & 19 HOLY FUCKING SHIT !?!?!?

Seems to have worked out pretty good for the Bengals and Steelers.

mayock is doing his live mock now on NFL network and he has us taking NT shelton @12 and RB gordon @19.

Yeah... what's up with that?

People are saying "Oh, the Titans will want more" like they're determining the market and also like we're required to give it to them.

We don't have to give Tennessee what they want, we just have to give them more than anyone else. If they want 3 firsts and a second, good luck...nobody is giving that.

The people claiming that the Redskins trade set the market don't understand economic fluctuations in the least. A market economy isn't static, it's dynamic. What the Redskins gave up two years ago does not determine the market this year whatsoever.

Agree... 2015 is a down market for two reasons:

First, RG3 was a much hotter commodity than MM has been.

Second, this just in, RG3 did not turn out all that well.

Sure the Titans may want more... who wouldn't? So our 12 and 19 may not be quite enough, but the sweetener is not going to necessarily be a third #1.

As for fear of swinging and missing... it's not as if we'd make the trade just so we can say we did something. The FO would do it because they believed it was the best course... that it was worth the risk.

However, what if MM turned out to be a 2015 whiff? Well we managed to double whiff in Rnd 1 last year and still improved due to a great Day 2 draft plus some unbelievable UDFA finds. It could happen again... and you never know... at least one of our 2014 whiffs may come of age this coming season.

18.75 hours...

If the RGIII trade set the tone, then you run from this deal. There is a good reason they pick at #5 this year while we pick at #12 and #19.

And any team that gives up on even a #22 1st rounder, when admittedly he was off track and got less then 2 games to prove himself, is just plain foolish.

If JFF is not working out by the end of this season then guess what, we get a really high draft choice next year plus some really good players in this very deep 2015 draft to support him. And trade down right this year to stock up again next year then we have plenty of ammunition to trade up.

That's a win - win in my opinion.

WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH JUST PICKING AT 12 & 19 HOLY FUCKING SHIT !?!?!?

My main objection to making the trade is that we take the chance of using both picks on a bust.....where if we have two 1st round picks....we should at least get one really good player even the other busts

(but...yes...I am aware of 2012 znc 2014)

My main objection to making the trade is that we take the chance of using both picks on a bust.....where if we have two 1st round picks....we should at least get one really good player even the other busts

(but...yes...I am aware of 2012 znc 2014)

That's a pretty great assumption. What guarantees one will be great even if the other busts? It's still a 50-50 shot for every position.

The Browns obviously haven't offered what the Redskins did in 2012... how do I know that??

Because it would already have been done...

Sorry Gip- they hold the high card, we don't.

This is wrong... if they don't want our offer, whose are they going to take??? They'll be stuck with their pick or some garbage offer from Philadelphia. Then, we can go down the line of picks 3-5 and offer the same thing until somebody wants it... The only card TN holds is the one where they pick Mariota. Again, I call that bluff beause why are they doing all this talking/negotiating if they plan on taking him...?

I'm 95% sold that Mariota will be a good NFL player, but there still is that 5% risk that comes with any player that they "just won't get it" when it comes to the NFL game, or they struggle with injuries. I'm not sold on giving up 3 1sts or even 2 1sts and a 2nd (unless that 2nd is 2016, which would be my final offer). I would not want to "mortgage the future" for him like teams have done in past drafts, but this is going to be the best year for us to get a top prospect QB who can finally become our "franchise QB"... unless you plan on this team winning less than 3 games sometime in the near future...

Seems to have worked out pretty good for the Bengals and Steelers.

Yes... but the Steelers have a QB... Sorry, but Ben Roethlisberger isn't falling to us at 12 or 19... We could use a 2nd round pick on Petty, Hundley, or Grayson... which of course could be a backup plan... and have them turn out like Andy Dalton... hmmm...

Or what about our other division rival...? I remember them trading up 8 spots in the 1st round to get their Super Bowl MVP QB... But, let's not worry about finding our QB... we can build a defense that can beat those 3 teams... right...?

The 2 teams that played in the Super Bowl this year both seemed to do pretty well for themselves with a QB selected after round 2.

The 2 teams that played in the Super Bowl this year both seemed to do pretty well for themselves with a QB selected after round 2.

That's cute... "Tom Brady was a 6th round pick"... I get it... So, why don't we just keep drafting QBs in the 6th round until we find our Tom Brady... Genius... So, Sean Mannion it is, right?

Or, we could find the QB with the 2nd best collective on-field talent including vision, accuracy, mobility, and pocket presence, while also having the best intangibles in terms of intelligence, leadership, and work ethic and watch him fall to the 3rd round because he's only 5'11"... because that happens every year... I had Wilson ranked much higher than Weeden that year in my book b/c I thought he deserved every chance to become a starter b/c he had all the talent...

Ohh wait... Mariota has the 2nd best on-field talent and the best intangibles... but he's 6'4"... hmmm.....

That's cute... "Tom Brady was a 6th round pick"... I get it... So, why don't we just keep drafting QBs in the 6th round until we find our Tom Brady... Genius... So, Sean Mannion it is, right?

Or, we could find the QB with the 2nd best collective on-field talent including vision, accuracy, mobility, and pocket presence, while also having the best intangibles in terms of intelligence, leadership, and work ethic and watch him fall to the 3rd round because he's only 5'11"... because that happens every year... I had Wilson ranked much higher than Weeden that year in my book b/c I thought he deserved every chance to become a starter b/c he had all the talent...

Ohh wait... Mariota has the 2nd best on-field talent and the best intangibles... but he's 6'4"... hmmm.....

Brian Sipe....round 13.....certainly didn't have the measurables.

Imagine that....the best QBs we have had in generations were a 13th round pick and a guy we got in a Supplemental draft.

I loved them, too, Gip, but they weren't that good.

Really? Because I've heard him described more like a 6'4" Russell Wilson... If that's the case, then I'm sold... He's never relied on his legs quite like RGIII...

Agree... MM is a much more conservative runner in the mold of Wilson and has a better frame than RG3.

Given that I wasn't impressed with Collins, I'd say you can scratch him off the board with recent developments compounding that.

I never saw why La'el and Scherff are two "top" OTs.

If JFF is not working out by the end of this season then guess what, we get a really high draft choice next year plus some really good players in this very deep 2015 draft to support him. And trade down right this year to stock up again next year then we have plenty of ammunition to trade up.

Ya gots to slow your Johnny roll, Bud... No way in hell this becomes the season of Johnny.

The Browns obviously haven't offered what the Redskins did in 2012... how do I know that?? Because it would already have been done...

Only if we were good with either of the top two QBs... and TN was good with trading either.

This is Draft Day stuff... and guess what day it is...

6.5 hours and counting... down...

If the RGIII trade set the tone, then you run from this deal. There is a good reason they pick at #5 this year while we pick at #12 and #19.

And any team that gives up on even a #22 1st rounder, when admittedly he was off track and got less then 2 games to prove himself, is just plain foolish.

That's a win - win in my opinion.

We happen to agree.

The Browns obviously haven't offered what the Redskins did in 2012... how do I know that??

Because it would already have been done...

This is wrong... if they don't want our offer, whose are they going to take??? See below. They'll be stuck with their pick or some garbage offer from Philadelphia. Then, we can go down the line of picks 3-5 and offer the same thing until somebody wants it... The only card TN holds is the one where they pick Mariota. Again, I call that bluff because why are they doing all this talking/negotiating if they plan on taking him...?

Why? Because they're wishing' and a hoping' some team (that would be the Browns) are going to be dumb enough to offer them an RG III type deal. And MM doesn't get past the Jets- FWIW, you don't think the Redskins would rather flip one spot with NY, and pick up a second rounder? As I said before- if the Titans aren't sold on Mariota, why in the hell should we be?

I'm 95% sold that Mariota will be a good NFL player, but there still is that 5% risk that comes with any player that they "just won't get it" when it comes to the NFL game, or they struggle with injuries. I'm not sold on giving up 3 1sts or even 2 1sts and a 2nd (unless that 2nd is 2016, which would be my final offer). I would not want to "mortgage the future" for him like teams have done in past drafts, but this is going to be the best year for us to get a top prospect QB who can finally become our "franchise QB"... unless you plan on this team winning less than 3 games sometime in the near future...

My sig says "Fail for Cardale". With our schedule- it could happen. There's exactly 2 top prospect qbs in this draft- and I hate to tell you we're going to have to mortgage the future to get MM.

Yes... but the Steelers have a QB... Sorry, but Ben Roethlisberger isn't falling to us at 12 or 19... We could use a 2nd round pick on Petty, Hundley, or Grayson... which of course could be a backup plan... and have them turn out like Andy Dalton... hmmm...

Or what about our other division rival...? I remember them trading up 8 spots in the 1st round to get their Super Bowl MVP QB... But, let's not worry about finding our QB... we can build a defense that can beat those 3 teams... right...?

Have you totally written off Johnny Football after three games? I haven't. I'm with Ag- we ride the A&M pony for at least 8-10 games to see if he's got "it". If we trade for MM it's a tacit admission by Farmer he fucked up majorly drafting JFF.

I loved them, too, Gip, but they weren't that good.

What are you referring to?

Your comment that immediately preceeded my post...

Archived