THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoping I Wake Up to Pettine, O'Neil, and Farmer Fired

ColumbusKing

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pettine's got coaching in his blood. i think he would do a great job if given more than a year and 8 games, and maybe some talent. i mean you can't fight for manziel and say 'he needs a chance' and then on the other hand say fire pettine. it makes no sense.

He has high school coaching in his blood, all I ever hear is how his dad is the greatest Pennsylvania HS coach of all time, and his first two HC jobs were for high school teams.

Don't confuse me with Walter or some another JFF feen, like I said I'm team Browns not Team McC or JFF, and IMO the Browns won't get better keeping Josh at QB, while John offers some what of a untouched potential.

He has high school coaching in his blood, all I ever hear is how his dad is the greatest Pennsylvania HS coach of all time, and his first two HC jobs were for high school teams.

Don't confuse me with Walter or some another JFF feen, like I said I'm team Browns not Team McC or JFF, and IMO the Browns won't get better keeping Josh at QB, while John offers some what of a untouched potential.

well he's got half of a season now to prove it.

What the fuck does that have to do with people starting threads on topics that already exist.

What the fuck does that have to do with people starting threads on topics that already exist.

2-7 and an ass beating from the steelers just around the corner...just can't wait....

2-7 and an ass beating from the steelers just around the corner...just can't wait....

thought you and your boyfriend would be doing the season-ender in provincetown. either way we don't need you as a fan. go join the cheer section for your local bowling league.

yeah but the real issue is what one of the analysts said on nfl network after the game...that is can you still trust manziel off the field...he said the hc should be telling him that the only time he wants to see his face is at practice and game time...not on the tv local news...and that is an excellent point..

thought you and your boyfriend would be doing the season-ender in provincetown. either way we don't need you as a fan. go join the cheer section for your local bowling league.

hahahahahaaaaa.....suck it up toxic mic...because that is what this team is....toxic...

The Seafarts run the "scheme" they do because they have the worst starting OL in the league.

We don't need to run gimmick crap.

Really-how'd that 2nd half work out for McCown last week?! Let me see. Same as this week. That non-gimmick O is working just fine in comparison with back to back Superbowl appearances.

Give me a "scheme" anyday that scores points over a statue O that does not. One of those two coaches has a brain that thinks instead of a scheme that doesn't work with the players it has.

Fuck you. Who the fuck are you to tell someone wether they can be a fan or not? Your welcome to be happy to have this horse shit of a team shoved down your throat... But some people are tired of the Browns being the joke of the NFL. They just got beat the fuck down by the bengals...totally embarrassed and you seem to be just fine with it. Most people are not.

Go ahead and hurl your childish Internet tough guy insults. That's about all you'll ever be...an Internet tough guy. Have fun with that.

Well, there is a silver lining.....the season is toast, so nothing to play for means nothing to get upset about....right?

Just adjust your "expectations" down a few notches and you wont be so upset and mad.......

People "predict" we will get slammed....But when we do, they get mad?.....even though the team just met their expectations?....

hahahaha....

Looking forward to all the upcoming moves. If we cant win, at least we'll have some personnel changes to discuss.....

Fuck you. Who the fuck are you to tell someone wether they can be a fan or not? Your welcome to be happy to have this horse shit of a team shoved down your throat... But some people are tired of the Browns being the joke of the NFL. They just got beat the fuck down by the bengals...totally embarrassed and you seem to be just fine with it. Most people are not.

Go ahead and hurl your childish Internet tough guy insults. That's about all you'll ever be...an Internet tough guy. Have fun with that.

yeah, you're right. i'm just an internet tough guy....lol.

can we just have one thread for the whiners to go to and bitch and moan? or does it have to be every single thread now that the season hasn't turned out the way 'the fans' thought it would.

and who's happy about losing? yep. i'm so friggin chillingly happy that the browns have not come close to what i've expected that i just bought a bunch of new shiny xmas tree ornaments with the likeness of every player on them.

i'm also a card carrying member of the rainbow coalition (not). feel free to join. BUT i guess standing on the corner of some cintucky fucking 3 tooth town and spouting out angry shit about the browns is some type of therapy for you.

meth much?

I don't agree with Pettine showing nothing - He looked frustrated, and a bit powerless.

I'd like to see Farmer fired, and have Pettine fire his DC and see how the team plays out the rest of the year.

I want both Farmer and Pettine gone.. Theyre both whoafully inept.

We also need to waive the FB.. and stop calling plays where he has a role. If they want a sixth blocker, play Erving every down as a TE.

Johnson, Housler and Dray can't block at the NFL level, and they make up for it by not being able to catch. Every play any of those 3 is on the field is a play the team admits will fail.

The lack of awareness around here by some of the current state of the nfl and coaching/organizational development is prominent. The reality is that coaches with no juice to begin with(meaning no proven track record of success previously and not golden boy status coming in) get fired after year 2 if:

1) the team has a poor record(especially two losing records in a row)

2) there isn't a strong trend in the right direction(and especially if they appear to be getting worse)

That's just reality. That's not a browns thing; that's an NFL thing. All this "well we'll making some coaching changes and Oneil will be fired and that may straighten things out going into year 3" stuff is delusional and fantasy. Yes, Oneil will be fired. Because the whole damn lot of coaches will be shipped out; that usually happens when a new head coach comes in. But someone like Mike Pettine, after two whole years and having likely lost like 15-16 of his last 22 games, will not get a year 3. That's just not the way the nfl works today or in the last decade.

The real question is whether Farmer is gone too. The answer is I don't know. If I had to guess I would imagine he gets another year. Bad gms typically get a little longer than bad hcs.

But all this bullshit about how Pettine is going to get the luxury of tweaking at the coordinator position or a few position coaches is just absurd. Mike Pettine doesnt have the juice to get that Luxury. People like John Harbaugh get that luxury. People like Mike Pettine just get fired, and a new hc comes in and brings their people.

But all this bullshit about how Pettine is going to get the luxury of tweaking at the coordinator position or a few position coaches is just absurd. Mike Pettine doesnt have the juice to get that Luxury. People like John Harbaugh get that luxury. People like Mike Pettine just get fired, and a new hc comes in and brings their people.

John Harbaugh was a nothing before the Ravens hired him. 9 years as a special teams coach and then a defensive backs coach. He didn't have a long history of HC before he was hired.

The lack of awareness around here by some of the current state of the nfl and coaching/organizational development is prominent. The reality is that coaches with no juice to begin with(meaning no proven track record of success previously and not golden boy status coming in) get fired after year 2 if:

1) the team has a poor record(especially two losing records in a row)

2) there isn't a strong trend in the right direction(and especially if they appear to be getting worse)

That's just reality. That's not a browns thing; that's an NFL thing. All this "well we'll making some coaching changes and Oneil will be fired and that may straighten things out going into year 3" stuff is delusional and fantasy. Yes, Oneil will be fired. Because the whole damn lot of coaches will be shipped out; that usually happens when a new head coach comes in. But someone like Mike Pettine, after two whole years and having likely lost like 15-16 of his last 22 games, will not get a year 3. That's just not the way the nfl works today or in the last decade.

The real question is whether Farmer is gone too. The answer is I don't know. If I had to guess I would imagine he gets another year. Bad gms typically get a little longer than bad hcs.

i'll bet you right now that pettine doesn't get axed after the year.

why the 3 day weekend sabbatical where haslam, farmer and pettine before the season? haslam is not a lerner. i think he understands business. you don't just make money overnite by firing and hiring everytime something trends downward. you, me and grandma moses could be the finest football minds in the history of football but with no chess pieces how do you play the game? not trying to tell everyone how to feel and not be frustrated because, believe me, i'm frustrated too. but as bbed had said in another thread.....how about we try something new (cuz what we've been doing since the 90s has worked so well....) and keep a coaching staff and GM longer than most of us take to learn how to drool.

i'll bet you right now that pettine doesn't get axed after the year.

why the 3 day weekend sabbatical where haslam, farmer and pettine before the season? haslam is not a lerner. i think he understands business. you don't just make money overnite by firing and hiring everytime something trends downward. you, me and grandma moses could be the finest football minds in the history of football but with no chess pieces how do you play the game? not trying to tell everyone how to feel and not be frustrated because, believe me, i'm frustrated too. but as bbed had said in another thread.....how about we try something new (cuz what we've been doing since the 90s has worked so well....) and keep a coaching staff and GM longer than most of us take to learn how to drool.

exactly.....firing everyone every two years hasn't worked so far so why not try something different. If we fire everyone and start over...its not like you're going to get some big name guy (Gruden, Cowher, Dungy and i wouldn't want any of them) to come here anyways. So you're hiring another coordinator who is the next big thing but no clue if he can be a head coach so how long does that guy get?

exactly.....firing everyone every two years hasn't worked so far so why not try something different. If we fire everyone and start over...its not like you're going to get some big name guy (Gruden, Cowher, Dungy and i wouldn't want any of them) to come here anyways. So you're hiring another coordinator who is the next big thing but no clue if he can be a head coach so how long does that guy get?

PLUS the new guys then 'have to get the guys that fit my system' thing.

working great for kelly right now in philly. and he WAS that next big thing.

everybody knows it only takes a year to turn a bottom feeder around.....happens all the time....Pettines already had too much time, geez...

Farmer could have EASILY replaced the 47 average players on last years roster....HELLOOOOO......thats why we have a draft and free agency....Cmon....

All he needed to do was draft 3-4 really good LB's.....add a Franchise QB......sign a few 6-5" receivers with great hands....upgrade the OL and DL.....Then add a couple top quality(EXPERIENCED) coordinators and we are there......BAM!

And, now, a year and one half in....what has he done?.....HA!.....FIRE HIM!

John Harbaugh was a nothing before the Ravens hired him. 9 years as a special teams coach and then a defensive backs coach. He didn't have a long history of HC before he was hired.

you miss the point. Harbaugh *was* nothing. Then he developed a track record- multiple playoff appearances and wins. *Then* after that track record he got the luxury of being able to make tweaks with coaches and stuff(as they did) years into his tenure when things got bumpy...and it paid off.

But if harbaugh never had that success before...and just flat out sucked his entire first two years(and they were going in the wrong direction) as opposed to back to back playoffs, he wouldnt have gotten to tweak position coaches and an OC. His ass would have been gone.

Thats the difference. Pettine is a nobody who has had two years now and NO track record, no success, no juice, etc....he doesnt get the benefit of the doubt to tweak things. Yeah Oneil will get fired too....because Mike Pettine will get fired and that means Oneil is also fired.

there are some good coordinators out there. I love what sean mcdermott is doing. He'd be a great choice.

everybody knows it only takes a year to turn a bottom feeder around.....happens all the time....Pettines already had too much time, geez...

Farmer could have EASILY replaced the 47 average players on last years roster....HELLOOOOO......thats why we have a draft and free agency....Cmon....

All he needed to do was draft 3-4 really good LB's.....add a Franchise QB......sign a few 6-5" receivers with great hands....upgrade the OL and DL.....Then add a couple top quality(EXPERIENCED) coordinators and we are there......BAM!

And, now, a year and one half in....what has he done?.....HA!.....FIRE HIM!

you dont get it. It does only take two years to turn things around in this league. Look at all the good teams(that arent led by Tom Brady or Aaron rodgers or whatever...thats another issue). How many years did it take them to go from being bad to good....when they made that transition? (hint: it's not a 5 year gradual process in most cases).....

the nfl is a league with TONS of player turnover. Look at the average prime career length of non-qb players....even starters. That is the reason why a team can be 5-11 and going nowhere one year and then 9-7 the next and ticking upwards and then 11-5/12-4 the next and true contenders.....

Pettine took over a bad team going nowhere. He had a mediocre first year that ended on a bad note. He is having a much worse second year that is going in the wrong direction. If this continues, that would be 2 whole years which in the nfl is a reasonable amount of time now. Especially if there is no major improvement the second half of the year.

There is only one person that needs to leave this team ASAP, Johnny Manziel. He needs to go to a real coach who knows how to use a 6' running QB and that would be as Wilson's backup. He would fit just fine with a coach who understands what he has and be a fine player to go to in the event Wilson went down. At least they are not afraid to design an offense around a player rather than make a statue out of runner. Fuck Pettine.

I never dreamed I would agree with something like this but now I do. Rather than use his strengths they are putting him in a position he can't possibly succeed in.

WHY FUCKING DRAFT HIM IN THE FIRST PLACE

I never dreamed I would agree with something like this but now I do. Rather than use his strengths they are putting him in a position he can't possibly succeed in.

Because Jimmeh wanted to make a splash like Jerry Jones and sell tickets.

I think the "hope" was that he would learn how to play the NFL game....like all good QB's do......

And once he learned the basics(like playing from the pocket), he would have the added skills of being elusive or stretching the plays when needed....ala Ben R or Russell Wilson....

Problem is that he hasnt learned the basics yet.....and the NFL is too good to just let him run around slinging the football

Archived