THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoping I Wake Up to Pettine, O'Neil, and Farmer Fired

ColumbusKing

Kirk Ferentz was the Offensive Line Coach here the last time this franchise won a playoff game after the 94 regular season. We actually beat the NE Patriots in the first round of the playoffs after winning 11 regular season games with Vinny Testaverde at QB when that wasn't supposed to be possible. It was the best run blocking line I had seen since our 80s teams to the extent it put Leroy Hoard in the Pro Bowl at a position he didn't even play - Fullback.

Ferentz may not get as much credit as Nick Saban gets for the career after Cleveland; BUT he's undefeated in the recruiting attraction of the corn fields of Iowa. We've had 2 of his former Iowa Hawkeyes come here packing a nice work ethic. We haven't had a better Left Guard here than Eric Steinbach while Kirksey looks like he can develop into a keeper.

This is an example of a coach that isn't coming from a program fielding the most talent on the field every week when his team is playing at a high competitive level. Sometimes you get all these Ratbird DCs/Defensive Coaches getting Head Coaching gigs without Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and T.Suggs and somebody learns the truth serum. Not much different than Josh Daniels getting a NFL Head Coaching job 2 years before he reached puberty. A day without Tom Brady was like a day without sunshine for the junior hoody. I don't know if Ferentz is too old or not but our offensive line fans in here would like the way his lines traditionally play with chemistry and cohesiveness. We could do a lot worse and frequently have IMO.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that is just it...the landscape in the nfl has changed. Especially with the inception of free agency. It is a win now or hit the road mentality. When you see a team like the raiders and bucs who were worse than us last yr making very nice strides, fans notice and wonder what the frig is up with this team. We can't get anything right. For this team, its been bad drafting, incredibly bad free agency pickups, and not so good coaching. Someone is responsible. It seems to be never ending...

I think Dansby and Whitner were decent pickups- but letting TJ Ward walk was a huge mistake. Ditto picking up the worthless Dwayne Bowe for $9 million. Yeah- when I see garbage teams turning it around like the Raiders and Jets it make me wonder when out turn to be decent will come.

I actually don't think this teams personel is as bad as it looks.The coaching is horrible,no discipline,no accountability,poor offensive and defensive schemes,and I could go on and on.I don't go with the "nobody wants this coaching job",if somebody comes in here and turns this thing around,he will walk on water in Ohio,just as LeBron does.I will NOT renew my season tickets,with these blockheads in charge next season! TOO PAINFUL,AND NOT WORTH THE COST!!

I won't dump my primo seats- section 111, row 9, but If anyone on this board is interested in a pair next season PM me. I'll sell them at face value.

Kirk Ferentz was the Offensive Line Coach here the last time this franchise won a playoff game after the 94 regular season. We actually beat the NE Patriots in the first round of the playoffs after winning 11 regular season games with Vinny Testaverde at QB when that wasn't supposed to be possible. It was the best run blocking line I had seen since our 80s teams to the extent it put Leroy Hoard in the Pro Bowl at a position he didn't even play - Fullback.

Ferentz may not get as much credit as Nick Saban gets for the career after Cleveland; BUT he's undefeated in the recruiting attraction of the corn fields of Iowa. We've had 2 of his former Iowa Hawkeyes come here packing a nice work ethic. We haven't had a better Left Guard here than Eric Steinbach while Kirksey looks like he can develop into a keeper.

This is an example of a coach that isn't coming from a program fielding the most talent on the field every week when his team is playing at a high competitive level. Sometimes you get all these Ratbird DCs/Defensive Coaches getting Head Coaching gigs without Ed Reed, Ray Lewis and T.Suggs and somebody learns the truth serum. Not much different than Josh Daniels getting a NFL Head Coaching job 2 years before he reached puberty. A day without Tom Brady was like a day without sunshine for the junior hoody. I don't know if Ferentz is too old or not but our offensive line fans in here would like the way his lines traditionally play with chemistry and cohesiveness. We could do a lot worse and frequently have IMO.

You may be on to something Tom. If we dump Pettine, Ferentz is a great option. Haslam would have to back the Brinks truck up to get him, especially if Iowa makes the Big 10 Championship game. He'll be one hot commodity should that happen. Don't know if he'd want to leave Iowa, he's got pretty close to lifetime job security there.

Flugel, Ferentz or DeAntonio would be my 2 great hires but when you have a FO for 10 years more concerned about drafting JM than 4 sets of Unies & than price hike your stadium I honestly don't see any Brinks truck coming up for any good hires. Some major things has got to happen between the creed of this FO to them wanting to put a winner on the field. God I hope so.. Cavs have their 4 jerseys but a Owner & GM that wants a winner in Ctown. Haslem your move..

PS-while you are grading this week...

Not sure, but I might be done for the year...

Kirk Ferentz was the Offensive Line Coach here the last time this franchise won a playoff game after the 94 regular season.

Interesting digging...

Don't agree with this trail of thought, there are only 32 head coach jobs in the NFL after all.

And out of the 32 HC jobs in the NFL, the Browns would be at or near the bottom of the list. Anyone foolish enough to sign up for the job will inherit a team nearly void of talent, and will probably have only a season to turn things around before the fans turn on you. It doesn't look good on your resume after you get sacked. I would guess that's why the former Brown's head coaches never landed another HC job in the last 16 years.

You may be on to something Tom. If we dump Pettine, Ferentz is a great option. Haslam would have to back the Brinks truck up to get him, especially if Iowa makes the Big 10 Championship game. He'll be one hot commodity should that happen. Don't know if he'd want to leave Iowa, he's got pretty close to lifetime job security there.

Keep in mind the next HC will also have to answer to Scheiner, not exactly a perk.

Keep in mind the next HC will also have to answer to Scheiner, not exactly a perk.

Why? Pet reports directly to Haslam as do Scheiner and Farmer.

There was a shit storm on the radio Thursday afternoon. It seems as though Mr Scheiner is delving into the uncharted waters of football operations. Just think, not only can Scheiner talk about the new decor of the hot dog vendors, but he will now oversee some of the football operations. Just what his role is, wasn't publicly defined by Haslam but it wasn't sitting well the Bull & Fox Show or the callers. Kinda pisses me off too, having a fucking lawyer run the Cleveland Browns under Jimma.

I found a link or two. . .

http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/11/03/latest-rumors-prove-cleveland-browns-will-always-be-a-mess/

http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2015/11/3/9663960/cleveland-browns-rumors-alec-scheiner-gaining-more-power

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/2015/11/cleveland-browns-trade-rumors-alec-scheiner/

Flugel, Ferentz or DeAntonio would be my 2 great hires but when you have a FO for 10 years more concerned about drafting JM than 4 sets of Unies & than price hike your stadium I honestly don't see any Brinks truck coming up for any good hires. Some major things has got to happen between the creed of this FO to them wanting to put a winner on the field. God I hope so.. Cavs have their 4 jerseys but a Owner & GM that wants a winner in Ctown. Haslem your move..

D'Antonio is great idea Gumby! He has done a better job in the Big 10 than Nick Saban should anyone choose to compare what each did at MSU. Very impressive tenure there at MSU.

What changed Nick Saban from being considered a good coach to being an elite coach was the move to the academic standards of LSU. The same school is a place Les Miles never wants to leave for the same game changer reason Saban originally needed it. All those rumors about Les Miles thinking about Michigan always had the gigantic academic standard hurdle Miles wanted no part of. If Nick Saban could have dominated the Big 10 the way he's been able to dominate the SEC - he would have never had to leave the Big 10.

The reason Ferentz came to my mind first is because he has pro coaching experience right here in Cleveland as well as what he's doing today in Iowa.

I should've mentioned that Steve Doershuk also tweeted that Haslam, Farmer, and Scheiner entered the Browns locker room after the Bengals game. WTF Scheiner was doing there, kinda lends some creedance that Scheiner's role with the Browns is expanding.

Remember last year when there was a little stir around Scheiner and Farmer sitting down with Pet and going over game film notes?

Scheiner has never been excluded from "football operations" nor should he be since as I understand the org, he is the money man with Cap Management under him.

As for the locker room... FO goes in there all the time after games... I do not see there simple presence as a big deal.

It was my understanding that Scheiner was in control of the business side of things. I knew he handled contracts, and the kept an eye on the salary cap. He was even involved with the recent stadium and scoreboard renovations, including selecting the food vendors. I'm OK with that aspect of his duties. However, I think if he's going to be involved with personnel decisions, such as player trades and free agent acquisitions, he's simply not qualified. If I were Ray Farmer I wouldn't like it one bit.

Really depends upon their relationship doesn't it?

The film sessions thing I mentioned last year was supposed to be a big deal, wasting Pet's time, letting the GM and the team Prez stick their noses where they did not belong.

When asked about it, it turned out Pet was fine with it... it had been part of their routine all year, it was welcomed communication...

Could the old "a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing" adage come into play? Sure, but it does not have to.

I guess if Alec is going to help Ray with personnel, he really can't do much worse.

I just hope that Scheiner doesn't assume the "football czar" role that Holmgreen had.

The last thing we need is another absentee owner like Randy Lerner.

It was my understanding that Scheiner was in control of the business side of things. I knew he handled contracts, and the kept an eye on the salary cap. He was even involved with the recent stadium and scoreboard renovations, including selecting the food vendors. I'm OK with that aspect of his duties. However, I think if he's going to be involved with personnel decisions, such as player trades and free agent acquisitions, he's simply not qualified. If I were Ray Farmer I wouldn't like it one bit.

Isn't that how Joe Banner got started?

And Jimmah was smart enough to send Joe packing... so we've got that going for us.

There is nothing "arms length" about Jimmah... but he's not going to get bogged down in details either.

talked about ferentz before the pettine hire. great coach.

he'd prob be a tom coughlin type. very disciplined and accountability to be known. might not translate to a team like cleveland where 1/2 the players don't even want to be there.....

There is nothing "arms length" about Jimmah... but he's not going to get bogged down in details either.

Right.....folks have been bitchin that Haslam needs to be hands off and NOT meddle or get involved in football ops....

YET.....folks want him NOT to be another uninvolved absentee owner like Lerner...

so, how does an owner get involved without getting involved?....

He gets a right hand man with eyes, a brain and some sense to keep tabs on all thats happening.....perhaps that is Schiener...

He gets a right hand man with eyes, a brain and some sense to keep tabs on all thats happening.....perhaps that is Schiener...

Two out of three ain't bad.

Keep in mind Alec is first and foremost a lawyer, which puts him up there with politicians, used car salesman, and TV evangelist in the area of honesty & integrity.

Two out of three ain't bad.

Keep in mind Alec is first and foremost a lawyer, which puts him up there with politicians, used car salesman, and TV evangelist in the area of honesty & integrity.

Yeah....most of them lawyers are pretty despicable....I agree.....

But, hopefully, this guy isnt making important decisions, and instead, is just a bridge from GM to the owner....

Yeah....most of them lawyers are pretty despicable....I agree.....

But, hopefully, this guy isnt making important decisions, and instead, is just a bridge from GM to the owner....

Maybe he's going to help Farmer with the draft?

I can supply the dart board! :)

so, how does an owner get involved without getting involved?....

or... the owner gets involved at the proper level.

Three direct reports from the Browns organization as Haslam did is not too many. Setting up Scheiner in some kind of one to one, informant reporting at the top is a bad organizational idea. I think Jimmah is smart enough to know that.

Archived