THE BROWNS BOARD

Hoping I Wake Up to Pettine, O'Neil, and Farmer Fired

ColumbusKing

I think the "hope" was that he would learn how to play the NFL game....like all good QB's do......

And once he learned the basics(like playing from the pocket), he would have the added skills of being elusive or stretching the plays when needed....ala Ben R or Russell Wilson....

Problem is that he hasnt learned the basics yet.....and the NFL is too good to just let him run around slinging the football

I don't see how short QB can see short receivers from the pocket. If they want him to sit in there and throw the ball then why have they given him midgets? It just doesn't make any sense.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you miss the point. Harbaugh *was* nothing. Then he developed a track record- multiple playoff appearances and wins. *Then* after that track record he got the luxury of being able to make tweaks with coaches and stuff(as they did) years into his tenure when things got bumpy...and it paid off.

But if harbaugh never had that success before...and just flat out sucked his entire first two years(and they were going in the wrong direction) as opposed to back to back playoffs, he wouldnt have gotten to tweak position coaches and an OC. His ass would have been gone.

Thats the difference. Pettine is a nobody who has had two years now and NO track record, no success, no juice, etc....he doesnt get the benefit of the doubt to tweak things. Yeah Oneil will get fired too....because Mike Pettine will get fired and that means Oneil is also fired.

You're forgetting that Hairball actually has a competent GM drafting guys with NFL talent.

Take his talent away (like the injuries have done this year) lo and behold they now have a W-L record just like the Browns.

I wonder if the fans in Baltimore want his ass on a platter too?

I don't see how short QB can see short receivers from the pocket. If they want him to sit in there and throw the ball then why have they given him midgets? It just doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense.....I dont think they are giving "him" anything...he is the back up, after all.....

and that is part of the problem....that he seems to need all kinds of "special considerations" to succeed in the NFL....so, for him to excel we need an offense designed for him....tall receivers he can see....etc....

Last year, they tried a separate O for him and it failed miserably....and, considering that teams all end up using their back ups etc, they will now need 2 offenses or 2 Johnnys?.....and everyone else on the team must learn both?....

I say you dont adapt and design your whole team around a guy who cant play basic NFL football or use the same schemes as the rest of the team.....esp one who burned a whole year, needs rehab and now plays "ok" at best.....

THAT would make no sense....

Smarter to find a QB who fits the team, instead of fitting your team to a very questionable QB....

But there were play calls with in the Offense that could have been selected...

May seem like a bit of Friday morning quarterbacking, but on our 1st and goal from the 4 I was thinking PAP bootleg... with the blitz on it'd been perfect.

There is only one person that needs to leave this team ASAP, Johnny Manziel. He needs to go to a real coach who knows how to use a 6' running QB and that would be as Wilson's backup. He would fit just fine with a coach who understands what he has and be a fine player to go to in the event Wilson went down. At least they are not afraid to design an offense around a player rather than make a statue out of runner. Fuck Pettine.

But seeing as you are now a Browns fan, what would you do?

Sweeping Pittsburgh and Baltimore is what I want out of 2015.

... add splitting with Cinci and I'm down...

Johnson, Housler and Dray can't block at the NFL level, and they make up for it by not being able to catch. Every play any of those 3 is on the field is a play the team admits will fail.

Dray is actually still our best blocking TE... not that that is a very high bar.

The lack of awareness around here by some of the current state of the nfl and coaching/organizational development is prominent.

Yet for all your posts you've made you've not been able to elevate us a lick. Why is that? Maybe because you have never backed up your assertions with anything more than hand waiving?

I have the answer.... BIKE FLAGS!

BikeFlagChild.jpg

you dont get it. It does only take two years to turn things around in this league. Look at all the good teams(that arent led by Tom Brady or Aaron rodgers or whatever...thats another issue). How many years did it take them to go from being bad to good....when they made that transition? (hint: it's not a 5 year gradual process in most cases).....

the nfl is a league with TONS of player turnover. Look at the average prime career length of non-qb players....even starters. That is the reason why a team can be 5-11 and going nowhere one year and then 9-7 the next and ticking upwards and then 11-5/12-4 the next and true contenders.....

Pettine took over a bad team going nowhere. He had a mediocre first year that ended on a bad note. He is having a much worse second year that is going in the wrong direction. If this continues, that would be 2 whole years which in the nfl is a reasonable amount of time now. Especially if there is no major improvement the second half of the year.

that is just it...the landscape in the nfl has changed. Especially with the inception of free agency. It is a win now or hit the road mentality. When you see a team like the raiders and bucs who were worse than us last yr making very nice strides, fans notice and wonder what the frig is up with this team. We can't get anything right. For this team, its been bad drafting, incredibly bad free agency pickups, and not so good coaching. Someone is responsible. It seems to be never ending...

You're forgetting that Hairball actually has a competent GM drafting guys with NFL talent.

Take his talent away (like the injuries have done this year) lo and behold they now have a W-L record just like the Browns.

I wonder if the fans in Baltimore want his ass on a platter too?

I'm sure they don't, or they shouldn't. They will turn it around. Like you say, they have a great gm and have a superbowl winning coach. If this were the browns, i 'd probably just shake it off for this season because i know it won't be like this every single friggin yr like we have here...

Fans are angry, and how can you blame them? We hire a defensive coach that actually started pretty darn well, and then POOF. He's now lost 12 of his last 14 I believe. How is that even possible? And here's the thing...it's not because of the QB position! Granted, we haven't exactly had stellar QB play, but our defense is so terrible that I don't know what to think. You could make the argument that Pettine's first year he was still implementing his scheme, and players were still adjusting and yada yada yada. But now, we're halfway through his SECOND season, and we're STILL ranked dead last against the run, AND we don't have a viable pass rush. How is that even remotely possible? Nothing from Kruger (who apparently drops back into coverage more), Mingo is next to worthless, and nobody else is worth mentioning. Again...dead last against the run. Boom. Season over right there.

And what happened to the running game? I realize we have a new OC, but our OL is completely healthy, and we can't do a damn thing on the ground. It doesn't make sense. And so many games we have to abandon the run because we're down a bunch of points. And we're down because we can't control the ball, we punt all of the time, and we can't stop anyone. We never get off the field on 3rd down, EVEN ON 3RD AND LONG.

Have you ever seen a worse blitzing team in your life? If we ever send a blitz, they just get absorbed in the line, and then we get toasted.

Don't get me started on Farmer. I don't see how a GM can completely miss so badly on his first round picks. Shelton doesn't play a high profile position, but everything I read about him says he isn't blowing anyone's socks off (read: he sucks). We draft a backup OL in the FIRST ROUND?! That's something the Patriots could do, but not a team that loses all the damn time. I'm too irritated to type anymore.

you dont get it. It does only take two years to turn things around in this league. Look at all the good teams(that arent led by Tom Brady or Aaron rodgers or whatever...thats another issue). How many years did it take them to go from being bad to good....when they made that transition? (hint: it's not a 5 year gradual process in most cases).....

the nfl is a league with TONS of player turnover. Look at the average prime career length of non-qb players....even starters. That is the reason why a team can be 5-11 and going nowhere one year and then 9-7 the next and ticking upwards and then 11-5/12-4 the next and true contenders.....

Pettine took over a bad team going nowhere. He had a mediocre first year that ended on a bad note. He is having a much worse second year that is going in the wrong direction. If this continues, that would be 2 whole years which in the nfl is a reasonable amount of time now. Especially if there is no major improvement the second half of the year.

Patriots

Bengals

Broncos

Panthers

Packers

Cardinals

Vikings

Falcons

Those are all the teams this year with winning percentages over .571 (at least five wins).

Patriots - Franchise QB

Bengals - Franchise QB

Broncos - Franchise QB

Panthers - Franchise QB

Packers - Franchise QB

Cardinals - Franchise QB

Vikings - Franchise QB maybe?

Falcons - Franchise QB

Patriots

Their worst period was in the late 80's, early 90's, right after HC Raymond Berry was fired. Rod Rust took over in 1990, put together a 1-15 season, and was fired immediately. Dick MacPherson took over in 1991, led the team to a 6-10 record in his first year, then a 2-14 record in his next year and was fired. Bill Parcells took over in 1993, drafted Bledsoe #1, led the team to a 5-11 season, and that was all she wrote.

So it took the Patriots five years and a #1 overall QB to get back to a winning season. So you're wrong here.

Bengals

The Bengals were garbage from 1991-2003, with three mediocre seasons strewn in there. Then they were okay for five years, lost 11 games in 2008, were good in 2009, lost 12 games in 2010, then drafted Andy Dalton and haven't looked back since. So you're wrong here.

Broncos

Denver hasn't had a period of sustained garbage since the 1960's. They won 4 games in 2010, but won 8 or 9 each season for four years prior to that season. So you're wrong here.

Panthers

Carolina turned it around immediately once they drafted Cam. So, in effect, you're right. Except, you know, the whole franchise QB thing.

Packers

Green Bay was mediocre-to-bad from 1983 to 1991, with one 10 win season in there. Brett Favre becomes their starter, they turn it around instantly. So, in effect, you're right here as well. Except, again, the whole franchise QB thing.

Cardinals

Cardinals won 4 games in 2003. Added Kurt Warner the following year. He goes 5-11 in his first two years, then they went 8-8, then 9-7 and made it to the Super Bowl that year. Then he retires and they go back to shit until they get Palmer.

Are you starting to see a pattern?

Watch Brees & Wilson drop 10-11 yrds. in the pocket. Verse JM standard 7 yrd. off OL with different Blocking Schemes. Brees & Wilson can see Cooks & Lockett & passing windows. The O has got to be a Josh or JM scheme not both..

Patriots

Bengals

Broncos

Panthers

Packers

Cardinals

Vikings

Falcons

Those are all the teams this year with winning percentages over .571 (at least five wins).

Patriots - Franchise QB

Bengals - Franchise QB

Broncos - Franchise QB

Panthers - Franchise QB

Packers - Franchise QB

Cardinals - Franchise QB

Vikings - Franchise QB maybe?

Falcons - Franchise QB

Patriots

Their worst period was in the late 80's, early 90's, right after HC Raymond Berry was fired. Rod Rust took over in 1990, put together a 1-15 season, and was fired immediately. Dick MacPherson took over in 1991, led the team to a 6-10 record in his first year, then a 2-14 record in his next year and was fired. Bill Parcells took over in 1993, drafted Bledsoe #1, led the team to a 5-11 season, and that was all she wrote.

So it took the Patriots five years and a #1 overall QB to get back to a winning season. So you're wrong here.

Bengals

The Bengals were garbage from 1991-2003, with three mediocre seasons strewn in there. Then they were okay for five years, lost 11 games in 2008, were good in 2009, lost 12 games in 2010, then drafted Andy Dalton and haven't looked back since. So you're wrong here.

Broncos

Denver hasn't had a period of sustained garbage since the 1960's. They won 4 games in 2010, but won 8 or 9 each season for four years prior to that season. So you're wrong here.

Panthers

Carolina turned it around immediately once they drafted Cam. So, in effect, you're right. Except, you know, the whole franchise QB thing.

Packers

Green Bay was mediocre-to-bad from 1983 to 1991, with one 10 win season in there. Brett Favre becomes their starter, they turn it around instantly. So, in effect, you're right here as well. Except, again, the whole franchise QB thing.

Cardinals

Cardinals won 4 games in 2003. Added Kurt Warner the following year. He goes 5-11 in his first two years, then they went 8-8, then 9-7 and made it to the Super Bowl that year. Then he retires and they go back to shit until they get Palmer.

Are you starting to see a pattern?

I see your using statistical evidence and common sense in supporting your opinion.

Taco doesn't understand that type of post.

Brian Billick on Twitter when asked if the Browns should fire HC Mike Pettine.

@CoachBillick: And you propose what? Fire him? Because that's worked so well for you recently! And hire? No one wants that job.

I see your using statistical evidence and common sense in supporting your opinion.

Taco doesn't understand that type of post.

Interestingly enough, I may have just convinced myself to jump aboard the Fire Pettine bandwagon if only for one reason - New England.

They fired a coach after one year, fired his replacement after two years, took a Qb #1 overall and haven't looked back in 25 years.

I say we shit can Pettine, overpay some coach to come in, draft Paxton Lynch at #1 and then go from there. Can't hurt, right? It's the New England way, apparently.

They fired a coach after one year, fired his replacement after two years, took a Qb #1 overall and haven't looked back in 25 years.

I say we shit can Pettine, overpay some coach to come in, draft Paxton Lynch at #1 and then go from there. Can't hurt, right? It's the New England way, apparently.

We have to hire a 2-time super bowl winning coach to follow that plan... Any ideas?

We have to hire a 2-time super bowl winning coach to follow that plan... Any ideas?

Only Don Shula has won the super bowl with 2 different teams. Just because a guy has won it once or twice with one team doesn't mean it's going to happen when he moves to another team. It's been tried 500 times and it hasn't worked in nearly 40 years. If we're going to have a new HC, don't bring in some guy who's already won somewhere else, it will be the Holmgren shitshow all over again.

Only Don Shula has won the super bowl with 2 different teams. Just because a guy has won it once or twice with one team doesn't mean it's going to happen when he moves to another team. It's been tried 500 times and it hasn't worked in nearly 40 years. If we're going to have a new HC, don't bring in some guy who's already won somewhere else, it will be the Holmgren shitshow all over again.

Hmmm. Maybe my post should've been in pink... Or whatever color a facetious comment should be...

Brian Billick on Twitter when asked if the Browns should fire HC Mike Pettine.

@CoachBillick: And you propose what? Fire him? Because that's worked so well for you recently! And hire? No one wants that job.

the ONLY reason to keep Pettine around. We could do worse.

But seeing as you are now a Browns fan, what would you do?

Actually in an ideal world I would keep JM, hire Carroll and have him bring Bennett with him so at least we have one pass rushing threat. But since I already follow the Seahawks, usually after the Browns play, I see no real conflict of interest. I have become attached to these lovable losers. I mean how many unique ways can you find to lose a game? The Browns are it least innovative in that way. :P

PS-while you are grading this week, see if you can figure out how Duke Johnson disappeared in the 2nd half.

and that, my friends is entertainment.

if it was UFC and they had a 'throw a small white guy in a 30 yard cage and see how long he can outrun the big black guys who think he slept with their sisters' pay=per-view match we'd be all over that.

I actually don't think this teams personel is as bad as it looks.The coaching is horrible,no discipline,no accountability,poor offensive and defensive schemes,and I could go on and on.I don't go with the "nobody wants this coaching job",if somebody comes in here and turns this thing around,he will walk on water in Ohio,just as LeBron does.I will NOT renew my season tickets,with these blockheads in charge next season! TOO PAINFUL,AND NOT WORTH THE COST!!

Yep, fire Pet and the only guys that would interview for the job will be some D-III or community college coaches.

Don't agree with this trail of thought, there are only 32 head coach jobs in the NFL after all.

Don't agree with this trail of thought, there are only 32 head coach jobs in the NFL after all.

Right but some high profile coaches, coordinators are pretty much guaranteed a hc job at some point. May not be willing to jump on a bad situation if it jeopardizes their reputation or future opportunities.

See a Dan Quinn or Mike Zimmer type.

Maybe they dont want the job because this organiztion is a joke. On any account, I understand keeping Pussine on for another year just to make the job more appealing; but the team is not improving and is in fact regressing.

Look at the Panthers. They were in salary cap hell but still kept winning (save for one or two losing seasons) But in the early stages of the organization they had some dark years. Richardson was a new owner so we can only hope Haslam figures this whole thing out like the Richardsons did.

Archived