THE BROWNS BOARD

Austin Davis named starter against Bungles...

dawg08

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was an article, just yesterday, on NFL.com that is now gone.....POOF!.....which makes me go hmmmmm....

In it, Jones was lamenting the fact that they have not added a QB to develop behind Romo, then went on to say that they need to add someone......and he mentioned that that guy could have been Johnny, had they picked him in 2014...

THEN.....he went on to say that it was possible to add a first round guy, but not pay anywhere near a first round pick......like they did with Weeden.....sooooo, who could this "cheap" first round guy be????

Jerrah's statements may have been construed as tampering with a player that is signed with another team.

But, honestly....does anyone mind the tampering?

There are two factors at play here......and those factors are that the Browns have 2 QBs, and both are really completely unknown commodities.

I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

Also....I think they want to see if there is any future at all in Austin Yea Baby. They see him with potential.

So....I don't think we have seen the last of JFF. He will have an audition this year. Just not this game. Maybe the next game and others.

But....while the Browns are going to want to audition Johnny.....I don't think they believe he has suffered sufficient punishment.

And he deserves more punishment....and this next game is it.

After that, it will be either Johnny coming or Johnny going.

So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor? Hell just give it to Bowe and let him at least run for his life since he doesn't appear to run for anything else.

It's probably already been said, but I think this is the wrong decision- not because I don't think Davis had a good 9 minutes, because I think he did. My view is based on the belief (could be erroneous admittedly) that with 5 games to go Pettine has this time to decide if we need to go for another franchise QB in the Draft. If we do we are likely to get first pick of the available QBs so it would be much better to make a final decision on Johnny now. Of course Pettine may have already made that decision by choosing Davis in which case I still think it's the wrong one.

I do think a "Final Decision" has to be made on Johnny.....but they do need to see him play.

Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

with 5 games to go Pettine has this time to decide if we need to go for another franchise QB in the Draft.

Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season

You know, no matter how well Johnny plays, I think this admin doesnt have any faith in him going forward or any trust that he will change.....and its pretty clear they dont like him "as is".....how can 2 years of screwing up, suddenly be washed away in a few weeks???

Im thinking its Austin Davis who gets those 5 games to show he can be that guy.....kinda looks that way, at least.....

If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy

The thing is, I don't think this is the case whatsoever.

I think the only person that is "out" on Manziel is Pettine. Unfortunately, his contract also clearly states that he has final say on game day rosters. To force him to start Manziel would be a breach of his contract and to fire him mid-season would be terrible PR.

Haslam and Farmer are stuck up shit creek right now.

The thing is, I don't think this is the case whatsoever.

I think the only person that is "out" on Manziel is Pettine. Unfortunately, his contract also clearly states that he has final say on game day rosters. To force him to start Manziel would be a breach of his contract and to fire him mid-season would be terrible PR.

Haslam and Farmer are stuck up shit creek right now.

Well...none of us really know what Haslam and Farmer think or the full truth on any of this, so only time will tell.....

Ill be shocked if the Browns elect to keep the circus in town for another year.....but Ive seen some strange shit happening, so who knows.....

Going from Manziel to Davis is what puts us at competitive disadvantage against the Bengals? Pass the dutchy on the left hand side.

Agree, but worst part is I own that LP... it was playing in a record store and I made an impulse buy...

There are two factors at play here......and those factors are that the Browns have 2 QBs, and both are really completely unknown commodities.

How long are we going to say that? I would agree that neither is completely known, but c'mon...

So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor?

JM... it's obvious.

Im thinking they've basically made that decision already.....Id guesstimate its an 80-90% chance that he's gone before next season.

If Johnny ends up playing....Id say its more of a showcase for other teams, than it is a test to see if he's our guy.

Showcase is a possibility, but I think some JM quantification is still needed. The risk is known. The reward? Not so much and it is part of the equation.

We've seen JM vs. Cinci... twice. Let's give a guy a chance who, IMO, flashed the ability to read a D better than either 2015 starter to date. I do not think it will take long, certainly not 5 games, to confirm my impression... or not.

So what happens if Davis goes down to injury or absolutely caves against Cinn City the first half? JM? Pryor? Hell just give it to Bowe and let him at least run for his life since he doesn't appear to run for anything else.

I don't see him caving, as he looked way too prepared for that to happen. Getting hurt on the other hand is a real possibility while playing behind this offensive, offensive line (pun intended). If that were to happen, then Pet has no choice but to go with John.

Hopefully Austin gets rid of the ball on time and doesn't take any McCown type shots.

HA!....funny you say that....because I was thinking Jerry could NOT turn down the prospect of Johnny AND Gordon as a package deal......both for his first rounder....

If just one works out....it still was a good deal.....

And Johnny would have Gordon and Dez to throw to......

Johnny throwing to Dez and Gordon. Wow...I would love to see that. Of course, I'd rather see it in CLEVELAND. LOL

Johnny throwing to Dez and Gordon. Wow...I would love to see that. Of course, I'd rather see it in CLEVELAND. LOL

I don't think Gordon is going anywhere. The Browns have invested too much in him to let him just go elsewhere now. If that move was going to be made I think it would have been made before this year began.

I don't see him caving, as he looked way too prepared for that to happen. Getting hurt on the other hand is a real possibility while playing behind this offensive, offensive line (pun intended). If that were to happen, then Pet has no choice but to go with John.

Hopefully Austin gets rid of the ball on time and doesn't take any McCown type shots.

Do not speak ill of the #2 squad.

Here's the REAL bottom line..........................17 years into the comeback of the Browns, we STILL have NO QB!!!! I hope Davis turns into the next Peyton Manning. Would I put money on that? Ain't no way!! The more I hear from Pettine, the stupider he sounds. This "staff" is a JOKE!!! Fire em ALL!

More likely a vindictive Mike PEttine putso him in after the team has completely imploded with no chance for success.

A loss in Cincinnati means plenty more more able players will go on the IR with phantom injuries.

Let him lose a couple games and the coach can feel vindicated.

Only possible bright spot is if the defense steps up for the last few games.

That might show that at least some players haven't been lost by the coach.

WSS

They have no intention of letting him play. He looked good his last outing and thats what they are shopping. If he starts a few games and sucks then thats lost value.

Jerrah's statements may have been construed as tampering with a player that is signed with another team.

But, honestly....does anyone mind the tampering?

i said a few days ago that lil chonnie is going to dallas. If not now, during the offseason. He does not want to play in cleveland...

I'm fine with this...why not. He looked ok Monday night in the little bit that I saw. But to me...it shows that for all the "this is a week to week thing" and "Johnny isn't done in Cleveland" stuff they're saying to the media. Johnny should get pretty comfy in the doghouse because that's where he's staying the rest of the year and I don't see any way he's back in Cleveland with Pettine as coach. It's possible they're both gone but if Pettine stays...Johnny is playing elsewhere next year.

He looked good against a depleted defense and a defense that probably did not prepare for him that well. We will see. But i am with you, there is no future here for the chonnie manziel and I like davis. We can only hope pettine likes him to. Got to start over again somewhere...

I was somewhat impressed with the guy until he started the Manziel imitation after the TD, and then sliding way too early and not getting out of bounds (and probably could have gone another 3-5yds up the sideline) was pretty pathetic. If he was a rookie I would have maybe understood, but 2 or 3 yrs in the league, pretty stupid.

Also, why the hell are they paying this guy $4 million for the next 2 yrs.? For god sake he was brought in as a 3rd string QB. They were saying during the game last night, that most teams don't even dress 3 QB's for a game. Wasn't he coaching a high school team when they picked him up(or was he just cut by the Rams)? Just another dumbass move by an incompetent FO.

they paid him that much because they already have the mindset that manziel is a gonner. That is my thinking and yes we have a fucked up FO.

love the decision on Austin. But why do you tell your opponent " Ok wrap that shit on making JM beat us from the pocket & lets get the A. Davis tapes out". Pet clearly is troublesome with game strategy or is truly still pist at one Manziel? 2 QB's will be active Sunday & that's the time to tell your division team. Just a opinion.

Here's Pettines quote......sounds reasonable to me....

Austin took advantage of his opportunity on Monday night. He was prepared, played well and put us in position to win, Pettine said. Hes been great in the quarterback room all season and he has earned the right to start on Sunday. We expect him to play well.

This didn't apply after week 2 though. #PettineLogic

The Davis fanboys thread. Very nice.

Give em hell, Austin.

I don't think we have any Davis fanboys since I can't imagine anyone joined this board just because of Austin Davis being a Browns player. The same can't be said of young Johnny....

This didn't apply after week 2 though. #PettineLogic

Week 2 was different...it was still early in the season and the starter shouldn't typically lose his job due to injury. And still.....we've seen all season it doesn't matter who plays QB for this team.....almost every week its the defense that loses the game.

Archived