THE BROWNS BOARD

Chip Kelly fired

LondonBrown

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right. Because he wins more games than he loses. Definitely not Browns material.

Can we bring Pat Shurmur back?

AGGGGHHHH... Just no to Pat Sure-loss. Wins my "Clueless HC of All-Time" award.

I won't mind if we lose Manziel if we end up with a franchise qb. I only want chip kelly if we team him up with Manziel

Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

Chip strung along the Browns for quite awhile the last time he was available and went somewhere else in the end. I don't see Haslam forgetting that.

He was also seemingly Haslam's first big-boy choice as an owner, so maybe he still has eyes for him. Nobody forgets their first love.

Kelly is not a bad coach at all. The people claiming he is frankly don't know a god-damned thing about football, but they've shown that before.

Unfortunately, Kelly is a terrible GM and should have zero say in personnel matters. If we could get him as a pure coach, that would be ideal. For everyone who likes to shit on his frenetic style of play, that was actually the strongest part of Philadelphia's offense - they were well above league average in hurry up plays and were nearly twice as effective in hurry up.

Our personnel would be a decent fit for Kelly, with some exceptions.

With all of that said, I do like Flip's offense and I'm intrigued by him.

But Kelly has been more successful than any of our coaches in the new era, so it's hard to turn your cheek to that if he expresses interest.

He was also seemingly Haslam's first big-boy choice as an owner, so maybe he still has eyes for him. Nobody forgets their first love.

Kelly is not a bad coach at all. The people claiming he is frankly don't know a god-damned thing about football, but they've shown that before.

Unfortunately, Kelly is a terrible GM and should have zero say in personnel matters. If we could get him as a pure coach, that would be ideal. For everyone who likes to shit on his frenetic style of play, that was actually the strongest part of Philadelphia's offense - they were well above league average in hurry up plays and were nearly twice as effective in hurry up.

Our personnel would be a decent fit for Kelly, with some exceptions.

With all of that said, I do like Flip's offense and I'm intrigued by him.

But Kelly has been more successful than any of our coaches in the new era, so it's hard to turn your cheek to that if he expresses interest.

One question I remember about his offense was that there are less players dressed in the NFL than in college and it would be too hard but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

Seems to me also that most coaches are terrible as the GM. The HC job is hard enough on its own...add in the GM part and its too much for 95% of NFL coaches. Just not sure if he would be willing to give that up once he's had it.

One question I remember about his offense was that there are less players dressed in the NFL than in college and it would be too hard but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've seen.

Seems to me also that most coaches are terrible as the GM. The HC job is hard enough on its own...add in the GM part and its too much for 95% of NFL coaches. Just not sure if he would be willing to give that up once he's had it.

It's hard enough to be a HC. Taking on extra responsibilities almost always leads to failure. A little humble pie would be good for Chip.

I don't think there's a team out there that would give him full GM and HC control, but we would be the team to do it. Especially with both Pettine and Farmer as questionable assets.

According to Tony Grossi, who I take with a big grain of salt (who says he has it on good authority) as the 8 hour dinner and contract meeting crawled along Haslem became less and less impressed with Kelly and it was the Browns that decided against the deal.

WSS

According to Tony Grossi, who I take with a big grain of salt, who says he has it on good authority, as the 8 hour dinner and contract meeting crawled along Haslem became less and less impressed with Kelly and it was the Browns that decided against the deal.

WSS

Which is fine as well if that means he isn't coming here...especially if he's going to want full control.

Prior to Mike Pettine the Browns would've loved Kelly. The question being asked right now is, has Pettine done anything to change that original thought or has Kelly tarnished his shine. I think the answer to the first part is no and I'm not a fire Pettine guy. The 2nd question is trickier if you are evaluating Kelly the GM vs Kelly the coach. You can probably get rid of Kelly the GM so do you think that Kelly the coach is worth a reboot.

I agree and actually like Chip's holistic approach with diet and lifestyle as part of the package. Makes a lot of sense to me

But on-field... "not a bad coach" is hardly a ringing endorsement. He trades trapping an opposing D on the field and exhausting it in the short term for exhausting his own D through the course of the game. It's a better trade at the collegiate level than it is at the pro level.

Seriously? Why bother with one game left. And Shurmur?

Good God y'all.

Jeff Lurie probably couldnt stand to see him on premises and just decided he had enough.

I agree and actually like Chip's holistic approach with diet and lifestyle as part of the package. Makes a lot of sense to me

But on-field... "not a bad coach" is hardly a ringing endorsement. He trades trapping an opposing D on the field and exhausting it in the short term for exhausting his own D through the course of the game. It's a better trade at the collegiate level than it is at the pro level.

The margin of error is much smaller at the professional level, for sure. Trying to capitalize on the fact that your team is in better shape than your opponent is much tougher in the NFL than the NCAA, but that's not his complete reasoning.

I just happen to agree with the whole "more offensive plays, more opportunities to score" philosophy and I think it has its benefits.

The problem with the Eagles this year is they didn't have the personnel to run it successfully...and I don't know why they felt they had to change things up. Despite the hatred of the DeMarco Murray move, it made sense at the time on paper. What didn't make sense was never using him. I'd take an offense that can score a touchdown on almost 30% of its offensive drives.

A Chip Kelly/Jim Schwartz combination would be great, but I don't think their egos could handle it.

Here's to hoping.

In their days in LA.....the Rams had a bigger FRAK base than the Steelers and Cowboys. The "Hollywood" crowd were insufferable in their sucking up to them. It was as bad or worse than the Lakers.

And while I hate teams to move.....St. Louis did steal the Rams from LA, so for them anyway I wouldn't feel as bad about that team move as some others.

But the Raiders need to stay in Oakland and the Chargers need to stay in san diego in my opinion.

But, in St. Louis's defense, they were fucked over by a guy as bad as Modell: Bill Bidwill, when he moved the Cards to Arizona.

All because the league wouldn't do expansion properly....by giving a teams to cities that could have supported them.

And by not merging with the USFL when an idiot by the name of Donald Trump wanted to fight the NFL in court rather than do the right thing by competing with them on the field.

A man of extremely poor judgment.

Not fit to be an NFL owner? Possibly?

Not fit for some other jobs he may be after?

Archived