THE BROWNS BOARD

In the second round, the Cleveland Browns select...

jiggins7919

Josh Doctson, WR from TCU.

At 6'3 and 195, he provides the kind of size our WR corp is sorely lacking. While not explosive, he has the ability to go up and get the ball, make contested grabs, and rarely drops anything. This is the kind of player we need on offense, and his skill set is a bit different from our other guys. He's a second round talent, so he's not a homerun type of specimen, but he could easily contribute immediately on offense, as well as help us in the red zone. Our Browns don't score touchdowns, that's the bottom line. We can move the ball, but we forever stall either in the red zone, or right before it. Countless touchdowns are scored every week in the NFL by targeting one-on-one coverage, and tossing a high pass. Other than Gary, we don't have the guy that can routinely make this catch. You don't win in the NFL by kicking FG's, and while we have an accurate kicker, he has his obvious drawbacks. His trajectory is woefully low, and coaches don't trust him from distance for this reason.

Doctson is a guy who had a ton of receptions, both as a junior, and an even more impressive season as a senior. In 2015 he had 79 receptions and 14 TD's, and in 2014 he had 11 TD's. As a second round talent, he has some areas to work on, mostly adding muscle and attempting to gain more explosiveness. I don't think we can take a WR at #2, although I feel like Laquon Treadwell is a hell of a talent. We'll go Bosa if he's available at #2, or possibly Hargraves, Ramsey, or Goff.

We obviously have to address the QB position in 2016, and I don't know how we're going to do that. Quality free agent QB's are virtually nonexistent, so we'll either have to trade a draft pick for someone (practically impossible), or take someone with the #2 pick. The Johnny bust completely kills us, and I'm not sure what we're going to do. Can we really go into the season with McCown, Davis, and Shaw? I guess we could, but is that the best path? Can we take someone in the 3rd round? Do we take a flyer on a Kaepernick, RG III, or some other wash out? Does a team like the Lions or Saint want to start completely over, and be willing to move Stafford or Brees?

Too many questions at QB, and this thread is about the second round selection. I want a WR that can move the sticks and make tough catches. A guy with reliable hands that scores these magical things called TOUCHDOWNS. A player with good size that compliments our smaller waterbugs. I want Josh Doctson.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/nfl-draft/josh-doctson-2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report/

Check out the above link. It provides a good analysis on both his strengths and weaknesses. Who do you guys want to see in the second round? Do you think WR is as important to upgrade as I do? What other names are you looking at?

Happy New Year boys, I'm actually excited. We're doing things differently, forging a new path. What we're doing takes balls, courage, and vision. Nobody knows if what we're doing will work, but we also don't know if it won't. I'm maintaining my optimism because I hate being the Negative Nancy of the bunch. Let's right this ship and actually have something to be proud of.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both Dotson and Jackson III seem worthy of consideration at #32 and both look to be positions of need...

Taking a WR that high would also signify a clean break with the past... not exactly "analytical", but very "psychological".

But there should also be an OT or two in that area.

QB in the first is a given. Signs point to Goff.

If he's still available at the 32, given his ridiculous speed/quickness/production, I want LB Scooby Wright, Arizona.

Or Corey Coleman/Michael Thomas, whichever one the Vikings don't pick in the first.

DL wouldn't be a bad pick either - Adolphus Washington / Jonathan Bullard, etc. We need players who can runfit, because the current crop just isn't good.

Last time we selected the consensus top QB prospect in the draft was 1999. Even then I'm not sure it was a consensus with McNabb at #2.

Drafting the Johnny Manziels, Colt McCoys, Luke McCowns, Brandon Weedens, Charlie Fryes, Brady Quinns was never the answer for us, and it's rarely* the long-term answer for anybody.

Last time we tried taking the #1 QB prospect was 1999...just sayin' Not sure why everybody is opposed to Goff, who is becoming more apparently by the day - deemed worthy of the top pick in the draft.

We have the OL to protect him for a long period of time...as long as we keep JT/Schwartz and get a suitable center.

Oh yes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us draft a QB in the first and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let him ride the bench for 2 years and then maybe give him 5 games to learn the offense under 2 different coaches with 2 different OC and then wonder why it wont work.

Or we could take a justine Gilbert type figure instead? Nah thanks, I'd take the risk on the potential franchise qb personally, especially when we have the use of a great mentor in mccown.

Reward > risk

Goff is no project, the guy is as pro football ready as anyone since Luck

That remains to be seen. But he will have a good QB to work with in McCown who also understands his role. If we draft Goff or whoever at #2 they're probably the opening day starter.

Both Dotson and Jackson III seem worthy of consideration at #32 and both look to be positions of need...

Taking a WR that high would also signify a clean break with the past... not exactly "analytical", but very "psychological".

But there should also be an OT or two in that area.

Excellent point.

#2 Jared Goff, QB, Cal

#32 Shilque Calhoun, DE, MSU

Not sure where Calhoun is projected exactly or if he'll fall that far. Too early to really tell anyway probably.

Probably this ^

If we go Goff, Calhoun is probably the guy I'd want in the second, as well.

But if we go Bosa, I'd like to see us go Wentz in the second.

I'm also intrigued by what will happen to Jaylon Smith.

No one has been pro ready since Luck and this guy is no Luck.

This is where I point out the usage of the word as in his post.

He's not Luck - but he may be the most pro-ready QB since Luck. There's a difference.

(And I'm also not 100% sure I agree with that...yet. But he's growing on me.)

This is where I point out the usage of the word as in his post.

He's not Luck - but he may be the most pro-ready QB since Luck. There's a difference.

(And I'm also not 100% sure I agree with that...yet. But he's growing on me.)

I know what he said......what I'm saying is if he is not around the same level as Luck, which he is not, then he is a reach a #2. There are guys at the top of this draft that are completely pro ready, opposed to as pro ready as anyone at said position since so and so.

Oh yes PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us draft a QB in the first and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let him ride the bench for 2 years and then maybe give him 5 games to learn the offense under 2 different coaches with 2 different OC and then wonder why it wont work.

if we draft a QB with the 2nd pick he starts day one.

no more let's see what happens when guys have a year or two to try and develop them. bortles, mariota, winston, luck........put that fucker in. hopefully he has a better line than tim couch had.

Archived