THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Hire Horton For D C

Mark O

I think you mean a Cleve draft... ;)

Nope.. I've done the carbon dating... ;)

I think we need to draft LB in rounds 1 thru 5.....and hope we score at least 2 that can play......otherwise, nothing will get better....

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait wut? Wasn't that Marty that had us in the AFC championship in 88 or 89? I know I was a kid but I could swear that was Schotts team.

Marty was coach for 1986 and 1987 AFC title game. Then in 1988 the Browns down to 4th string QB Don Strock lost to the Houston Oilers in a wildcard game. That was Marty's last game here. He resigned rather than fire his brother as demanded by Modell.

Bud Carson was hired then. Bud in his very first game as HC beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in Pitt. by 51-0. They went on that year to the AFC Central title...going 9-6-1. Bud's Browns beat Buffalo in a first round game before losing to Broncos 37-21 in the AFC title game.

A year later, the seemingly elderly Bud apparently lost it and the team went 3-13 and he was canned.

The thing though was....Bud was only 58 then....but he seemed like he was at least 70. He was "only" 74 when he died in 2005.

Didn't the rest of you who were around at the time think that Bud Carson was a lot older than 58 when he coached here?

Sounds like it is pretty much a done deal for Ray Horton.

Well that is sad news indeed.. "Whor-ton" blows!

Apparently:

Horton - DC

Saunders - Senior Offense Assistant

Wilson - RBs

Hamilton - QBs

According to MKCs sources

https://mobile.twitter.com/MaryKayCabot/status/689950142502412288

I am good with this... kind of pumped actually.

BTW, Flugels pronounced your name "BB Edward" today ... while I always thought of you with a stutter ... B.. Bedward.

What are we doing wrong?

Z

I am good with this... kind of pumped actually.

BTW, Flugels pronounced your name "BB Edward" today ... while I always thought of you with a stutter ... B.. Bedward.

What are we doing wrong?

Z

It's bb...Edward. BB are my initials sans middle name, my middle name is Edward.

Once again, I trust NOTHING Mary Kay puts out there until confirmed by the Browns' site, but if it IS Ray Horton, keep in mind that both in Cleveland & TN the offenses were far too often 3 & out, which we all know will KILL a defense. I'm willing to wait this out & see what happens.

MIke

The Cleveland Browns have hired Ray Horton as the team's defensive coordinator. Horton will be returning to the position he held in the 2013 regular season.

Under Horton's direction, the 2013 Browns registered 40 sacks for 185 lost yards and held opposing passers to just 3,723 yards, the lowest total they have allowed in any of the last four seasons, and their 1,781 rushing yards surrendered are the fewest in the expansion era. The last time the Browns allowed less than 1,800 rushing yards in a single season was in 1994, when they went 11-5 and advanced to the second round of the American Football Conference playoffs.

Horton spent the last two years as the defensive coordinator of the Tennessee Titans.

WKYC

REPORT: Cleveland Browns interviewing Ray Horton

CONNECT

TWEET

LINKEDIN

SPONSOR CONTENT

I wasn't a fan of Horton's defense the first go around, but to be fair, the guy had one damn year and insufficient talent. My problem with him is that he appeared to blitz all the damn time, and we got our asses obliterated by every screen pass a team could throw. If it was 3rd down, we were blitzing. On one hand, it's fun to have an aggressive defense, but on the other, you can't be that predictable. You can blitz all you want if you have the correct personnel, but take a look at the red zone numbers when Horton was here. I don't have them off the top of my head, but I want to say we were basically at the bottom of the league, and we gave up a touchdown about every damn time a team was in the red zone.

The GOOD news is, Horton has enjoyed some success while serving as a DC, and he did quite well while in Arizona. So if we can give our coaches the required time to execute their vision, I like what we've put together so far. Not my favorite, but we have guys with experience.

This is BULLSHIT. I felt ok about the hue hire to start with, but him bringing back a RETREAD is BULLSHIT. I see some of you guys are trying to cherry pick various aspects of Horton's defense from his first go round with us. That's misleading at best, downright dishonesty at worst. You can cherry pick other stats from that defense that look like shit. But regardless of what stats one looks at, I watched that team. So did you guys. And at NO TIME did I feel the scheme was excellent or we had a defense to respect when it mattered. This idiot has been with like 4 different teams over the past 4-5 years.....RETREAD.

So this isn't a good sign. Anyone spinning it as a positive is FOS imo. Also, and this is a more minor point, but is Hue trying to run a football team or the rainbow coalition? I don't mean the color of the hires(I could care less about color)....what I mean is with seemingly every hire and potential hire there are stories about how him and the browns are working with this organization(likely a shakedown organization) to promote coaches of color and probably global warming and land mine safety and god knows what else. This is not the reason I hate the hire of Horton(the fact that he is an uninspiring retread hire is the reason), but it certainly doesnt help....

Horton had us 9th best in yards allowed - while we were in the 20s in 2012, 2014, and 2015.

However as others are quick to point out our 3rd down and points allowed didn't look so good.

He was only here for a year though. Titans fans seemed to like him (though they're probably fine with Lebeau now I imagine). National media seems to consider it a good choice. It's only Browns fans that seem to think it's a bad choice.

Whatevs though - it was either him or Mike Singletary or some other bumfuck position coach. We were talking Lovie Smith and Leslie Frazier, but who the fuck wants to run a Tampa 2 defense. Jim Schwartz was the best name but the Eagles provide the best path for him to become a HC again.

The fear of hiring only "minority" coaches is irrational - and also untrue. In many circles Horton and Wilson are considered top guys for those jobs. Hamilton - maybe. Then we have Saunders, Hunter, and Tabor...

This is BULLSHIT. I felt ok about the hue hire to start with, but him bringing back a RETREAD is BULLSHIT. I see some of you guys are trying to cherry pick various aspects of Horton's defense from his first go round with us. That's misleading at best, downright dishonesty at worst. You can cherry pick other stats from that defense that look like shit. But regardless of what stats one looks at, I watched that team. So did you guys. And at NO TIME did I feel the scheme was excellent or we had a defense to respect when it mattered. This idiot has been with like 4 different teams over the past 4-5 years.....RETREAD.

So this isn't a good sign. Anyone spinning it as a positive is FOS imo. Also, and this is a more minor point, but is Hue trying to run a football team or the rainbow coalition? I don't mean the color of the hires(I could care less about color)....what I mean is with seemingly every hire and potential hire there are stories about how him and the browns are working with this organization(likely a shakedown organization) to promote coaches of color and probably global warming and land mine safety and god knows what else. This is not the reason I hate the hire of Horton(the fact that he is an uninspiring retread hire is the reason), but it certainly doesnt help....

Dude hasn't even coached a game yet and you're already pissed. Just proving my point that there are a lot of people around here who will never be happy no matter what this team does. All you want to do is bitch and moan about everything.

Archived