THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Hire Horton For D C

Mark O

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually not really....every third post even before he started some games I would comment on how I don't think he has an nfl skill set. Perhaps you just chose not to read it.

I have been right on every single prognostication I've made in here.....

Holy Mother of God... "even before he started some games"? How is that possible since in your 2nd post ever you proudly proclaimed:

Well I wasn't going to join until JF was the official starter. Now he is, so here I am.

This has to be a Ghoulie alt account...

I think JF will get at least 2 whole seasons to prove himself, but after one whole season it will be so clear he is the franchise qb that this conversation will all seem silly.

:lol:

"Buck the Frowns" was the first to state Johnny's skillset is best suited for the CFL too. I can't take credit for being first anyway.

I fully expect to be posting such quotes from people about halfway through next season when the invariable honeymooning with Hue is over and people realize we're not going to the SB and are all like "fire this cunt omg omg". I'm going to remind them what they said when we hired him.

Always a fun tradition. Though it's different when you say "I was saying X the whole time, I never said Y" and then you look back a year ago and the person was exclusively saying Y.

Always a fun tradition. Though it's different when you say "I was saying X the whole time, I never said Y" and then you look back a year ago and the person was exclusively saying Y.

oh I fully expect there to be people who were like "I LOVE THIS GUY", and in a year claim they never liked the cunt.

The "idiot" who got us a higher ranked defense that O'Neill could only dream of? People tend to forget he only spent one season here plus how many experienced coordinators were available other than him and Schwartz? Hue has smartly decided he needs experience on that side of the ball as he'll be focused on the offense. If Pettine wasn't so unsure of himself and had done the same maybe he'd still be here.

That's what I like about this staff- no rookie coaches. We'll see how this works out. Hue is calling the plays, like that too.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-complete-offensive-special-teams-staffs/5e3f1d64-e1c9-4548-a96b-44e5e252aa7f

BTW per Hue-

"Getting a coach like Pep Hamilton is going to be big for us,” Jackson said. “He will be great for the quarterbacks’ room. He is going to help us mold that ‘guy’ into being one of the best quarterbacks in the National Football League. That is our goal. We have to have a signal caller that can play at a high level. That is Pep’s number one mission and mine too as we go through it. In his role as the associate head coach, when I step out, he steps in. I have a lot of confidence and trust in Pep. He has done a great job calling plays in the National Football League. I am going to give him a lot of responsibilities as we move forward.”

Bye, Johnny.

Those of you saying horton is even a mediocre dc are wrong. Horton is an awful hire. Yards pergame is a stupid stat that does not tell the whole story. The 3-4 ryan/petine run and the one lebeau/horton run is not effective anymore. The biggest problem this team had last yr was the defense. That will only continue with this hiring!

In 2015, the Browns ranked 29th in points allowed (27) and 27th in total defense (379.2), 22nd against the pass (250.8) and 30th against the run (128.4).

During Hortons brief stint with the Browns, they ranked 23rd in points allowed (25.4) and ninth in total defense (332.4). They finished 18th against the run (111.3) and tied for eighth against the pass (221.1).

The defense also tied for 29th in the red zone (allowing touchdowns 64 percent of the time) and ranked 31st on third down (allowing opponents to convert 44.7 percent) in 2013. Hortons men struggled mightily at the end of the second and fourth quarters, blowing several leads. They allowed a league-high 145 points in the final quarter. In a three-game stretch, the Browns surrendered four touchdowns during the final 2:17 in losses to the Jacksonville Jaguars, New England Patriots and Chicago Bears.

23rd in points per game, 30th in redzone allowed and 31st in first down pecentage.you dont need as many yards if you can score at will. 32nd in points allowed in the 4th quarter.

Yds per game is not the end all stat and does not make a defense good.

Those of you saying horton is even a mediocre dc are wrong. Horton is an awful hire. Yards pergame is a stupid stat that does not tell the whole story. The 3-4 ryan/petine run and the one lebeau/horton run is not effective anymore. The biggest problem this team had last yr was the defense. That will only continue with this hiring!

I'll only say this- to make the 3-4 work, you need great linebackers. Anyone consider our linebackers "great"?

Hue may tell Horton maximize the talent you have, and scheme around it.

IT's more about the players than the scheme. In Pgh Lebeau's system worked "just fine" cause they had a constant pedigree. One group would teach the next the system. Continuity is key with any system. I'm starting to firmly believe in drafting/signing the best talent and fitting the scheme to them. If you run a 3-4 one year but lose some players, don't try to replace them with copies...just go out and get the best players you can and if they're better suited to a 4-3....THAN RUN A FUCKING 4-3 instead of asking your 270lb+ edges to run out in deep coverage.

I'll only say this- to make the 3-4 work, you need great linebackers. Anyone consider our linebackers "great"?

Hue may tell Horton maximize the talent you have, and scheme around it.

Im hoping thats why we hired the dline coach from the giants because horton is going to employ an attacking 4-3 defense rather than this 3-4 zone blitz lebeau scheme that just doesnt work anymore.

Im hoping thats why we hired the dline coach from the giants because horton is going to employ an attacking 4-3 defense rather than this 3-4 zone blitz lebeau scheme that just doesnt work anymore.

oh we did? did not realize that. Could Horton be flexible enough to run a dif scheme? I'd be ok with keeping Kruger one more year if we did that. If we got both him and Armonty back up into the high 270's low 280's....we might have solid edge play finally.

Horton said the first time we hired him it would be a hybrid multiple front attacking defense. He specifically said there would be 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 4-4 looks depending on the situation.

How much of that happened in 2013? I'm not sure and I probably couldn't find data on it anywhere.

The dline coach was with the giants since 2010 and their 4-3 scheme is similar to the bengals. I would assume someone who has coached as long as horton has can run a more basic 4-3 defense. The only difference from that and most nickle packages are just swapping out a linebacker for a nickel corner. That is where player personnel comes into play seattle scheme is very basic but the guys in it are so fast and good at what they do it doesnt matter. Same with the bengals to a lesser degree and thos giants teams of the past that won superbowls.

Guess we'll see but im super bummed about this hire. Would of rather landed lovie smith or leslie frazier. Weve seen hortons defenses get lit up. When he coached us and when we had the biggest come from behind road victory in the nfl with hoyer at the helm vs his putrid scheme.

lovie smith or leslie frazier.

Tampa 2....no

We'd have to find the next Urlacher if we wanted to have any success with that. IE A guy who can attack the LOS and also drop back 30 yards into coverage like a safety.

Tampa 2, to me, basically means on passing up great talent because it isn't the right talent.

Horton said the first time we hired him it would be a hybrid multiple front attacking defense. He specifically said there would be 3-4, 4-3, 5-2, 4-4 looks depending on the situation.

How much of that happened in 2013? I'm not sure and I probably couldn't find data on it anywhere.

If I remember that year correctly, the line up I saw the most was two DL and Kruger/sheard standing. Basically a 4 man front with the DE's standing. Not a big fan of having only two DL.

Tampa 2....no

We'd have to find the next Urlacher if we wanted to have any success with that. IE A guy who can attack the LOS and also drop back 30 yards into coverage like a safety.

Tampa 2, to me, basically means on passing up great talent because it isn't the right talent.

Lovies defenses have always been solid. Id take the tampa 2 over that crud horton runs any day. You dont get beat deep like we did under horton or oneil and as it does have its disadvantages you dont need a hall of fame mlb for it to be successful.

Lovies defenses have always been solid. Id take the tampa 2 over that crud horton runs any day. You dont get beat deep like we did under horton or oneil and as it does have its disadvantages you dont need a hall of fame mlb for it to be successful.

You need a solid MLB who is also a solid Safety. Also it's ideal if everybody else is really fast if I'm not mistaken.

I'd take Horton every time over Lovie and definitely Leslie

I dont recal us ever running a 4-3 our base package was 3-4 under him and i do remember us running the 5-2 as well with a sibgle high safety. Good to stop the run but you get torched on screens and play action. The closest thing he ran to a 4-3 was a nickel defense with a 4 man front ran by pretty much every nfl team

yes.

i will say though throughout the whole manziel era in cleveland that the only 2 true manziel/A+M fans that have stuck it out through thick and thin are AG and wargo. gotta give them credit for having thicker skin than me, and that shows alot.

hope they stick around no matter what happens with mr. manziel.

if not i got their addresses so they'll be gettin some type of tee come august/sept bo matter what. and i'd miss them if they leave.

hmmmm....tshirt design contest with horton jeers a jew, i mean hears a hoo...... will be priceless.

Exactly....those 2 don't count in the general faggy fanboy category like the rest of the Manziel fans who showed up here the day he was drafted.

Can I interest you in a "Mudfly draft"?

ha!....Ok....Im backing off on drafting 5 LB's.....cause I see a couple corners Id like too......Ramsey is looking pretty good to me.....(just a lil something to stir the ole draft pot.....already tired of Goff and Bosa)....

So.....I want Jack or Ramsey.....and then maybe tap J. Smith and his bum knee in the 2nd......

ha!....Ok....Im backing off on drafting 5 LB's.....cause I see a couple corners Id like too......Ramsey is looking pretty good to me.....(just a lil something to stir the ole draft pot.....already tired of Goff and Bosa)....

So.....I want Jack or Ramsey.....and then maybe tap J. Smith and his bum knee in the 2nd......

I totally agree with Jaylon Smith in the 2nd or 3rd, IF he lasts that long.

Mike

Tampa 2....no

LOL, or Luke Kuechly.

Horton is a good choice.

Having Ray come back means there wasn't any bridges burnt and for good reason. Ray is a pro and knows the Bidness. You can argue balls and strikes all you want but for now you don't even know who's going to be on the roster let alone what schemes they will run.

Get pressure up front and make them throw the ball when they are behind because they can't run the ball. Very basic yes but just do what defenses did to the Browns offenses all season long.

Archived