THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Hire Horton For D C

Mark O

all of them can technically make the change to 4-3, easily. It's what they're built for anyway. But as we can see, 3-4 or 4-3 this team isn't that talented. I guess the only caveat is that if we switch to a 4-3 we can tell Bryant and Kruger to get back up around 280. You'll see them hold up on the edge better and just maybe Kruger gets some of his strength back. Mingo cannot be a DE in a 4-3 though. He's the cover OLB'er in that scheme. Something that he "might" be good at. I'll bet he'd be a nasty blitzing 4-3 OLB'er. Just ask him to go out in coverage and blitz every now and then and leave the run stopping at the point to Dansby or Robertson. Personally I see Robertson as our best and most instinctive run stopper.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We probably have a few players that could make the transition, but I think it's safe to say that it would take a couple seasons before we could get the defense adequately staffed. I mean, it's not like we could do THAT much worse, ya know? It's still a big unknown, as going to a 4-3 is far from a certainty. In fact, Ray Horton is the likely candidate, and he runs that "Dick Labeau" attacking 3-4 style (if memory serves me correct). About the only thing I remember from Ray Horton's defense was us giving up a touchdown almost every time in the red zone, and just constantly blitzing virtually every damn play.

Schwartz appears to be desired by many teams, and I don't know if he'll consider Cleveland. If we DO somehow get him, and we aren't completely sold on Goff at #2, then we go Bosa for sure.

Makes sense for Schwartz to seek the greatest underachieving D to DC. He's looking for a quick ticket back to a HC job. His one and done potential even with us makes me less than enthusiastic about landing him.

And Philly is closer to being that than we are.

Actually this is the most important remaining hurdle in my opinion.

Fixed... ;)

Robertson, Kirksey as OLBs? Not sure.

Robertson was an ILB in college... not sure what North Texas ran.

Kirksey was a ROLB at Iowa... I believe in a 4-3.

Tour, remaining hurdle? Fixing the defense is all we have left? Well thank you thank you thank you lord!

Well if we go to the playoffs beating all the other teams 36 31 I'll buy you all the Beer you can drink when you come to Ohio next!

lol... the jist of much comment hinged upon "important"...

As in the DC hire is the most important hire remaining, but only because we have a HC who is doubling as an OC...

But I'll still take the beer...

We are still paying Horton from the first time he was here. :lol:

Ya, I was talking about that with someone else.

That's gotta be embarrassing in negotiations.

"Yes, Ray, we will still pay out your first contract and match what the Tits will pay you,plus more."

Seems our defense got a lit up like a Christmas Tree that year down the stretch by teams like Jacksonville.

Gordon had games of around 250 yards twice ... and we lost them both.

But we had Brady and the Patriots snuffled for 59 minutes before Tabor's ST couldn't field an onside kick.

Zombo

--Horton & Tabor ... Back for More!

Ya, I was talking about that with someone else.

That's gotta be embarrassing in negotiations.

"Yes, Ray, we will still pay out your first contract and match what the Tits will pay you,plus more."

Seems our defense got a lit up like a Christmas Tree that year down the stretch by teams like Jacksonville.

Gordon had games of around 250 yards twice ... and we lost them both.

But we had Brady and the Patriots snuffled for 59 minutes before T

abor's ST couldn't field an onside kick.

Zombo

--Horton & Tabor ... Back for More!

To carry this a little further ... the first team that Jimmy put together that he jettisoned after one year ... Chud/Norv - Horton - Tabor ... we are just inserting Hue/Hue for Chud/Norv as far as coaching leaders/schemes.

And Hue and Chud/Norv seem pretty similar schematically.

So there's that.

Zombo

To carry this a little further ... the first team that Jimmy put together that he jettisoned after one year ... Chud/Norv - Horton - Tabor ... we are just inserting Hue/Hue for Chud/Norv as far as coaching leaders/schemes.

And Hue and Chud/Norv seem pretty similar schematically.

So there's that.

Zombo

Hopefully the difference is Hue

...I think this makes it pretty clear we would have been better off keeping Chud.

Hopefully the difference is Hue

...I think this makes it pretty clear we would have been better off keeping Chud.

Ya, I have digested that.

Seems like we wasted two years with two football grunts who weren't interested in analytics and now we are going back to that, but in full force with Sashi and Paul and Hue, who is all in.

Don't get me wrong, I am all in going forward, excited about this ... but the Cleveland Browns are funny.

Zombo

It sounds insane, but I actually liked Chud for some reason. I also liked having Norv Turner. Horton had success in Arizona I guess, but hasn't done well of late. It probably all comes down to talent, and here's to hoping we have the rights guys looking for our next stars.

I didn't understand anybody that didn't like Chud, he was a homer...I thought for once we had a local boy who was emotionally invested in Cleveland. And we shit him away. HAD to fire him, just like Shurm and just like Mangini. This coaching carousel is on my last fucking nerve. I almost want them to just fire Hue now and get it over with.

Probably a stupid question, but I must ask it: Horton doesn't seem to me to be a must have DC, so am I right in guessing Jackson wants him because he feels they would work well together? A related question: is it down to personality or his defensive schemes (which Jackson presumably prefers) or both? It isn't because Horton has been hugely successful so why him?

I didn't understand anybody that didn't like Chud, he was a homer...I thought for once we had a local boy who was emotionally invested in Cleveland. And we shit him away. HAD to fire him, just like Shurm and just like Mangini. This coaching carousel is on my last fucking nerve. I almost want them to just fire Hue now and get it over with.

With you on a couple ghosts of coaches past, but Chud?

With you on a couple ghosts of coaches past, but Chud?

I didn't have a big problem with Chud, maybe in a few years I dunno....but I def thought he did NOTHING to warrant getting rid of after 1 year. I also at the time didn't have a big problem with Hortons D even though now I realize the players they got were junk. If we stick with a 3-4 i'd rather his 3-4 than Pettines. The problem the first go round with Hortons D is that it suited the DL's but our edges were not 3-4 guys, and our ILB'ers were also lacking.

I'm ok with hiring Horton if we still tear the defense up, I just suspect the interest in Horton is for the reason they don't want to do that. But overall I'd still prefer a switch to the 4-3.

If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

If we indeed hire Ray Horton, then we need linebackers. Lots of them. Can't fix that in one year, or possibly even two. Making matters worse, we need a QB and WR this year (we WANT Josh Gordon, but obviously can't count on him). If we go offense for round one and two, it makes getting an impact linebacker all that more difficult this year.

we need LB'ers no matter who we hire.

Archived