THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Hire Horton For D C

Mark O

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mangini got fired today. We should find a spot for him.

Interesting.. Mangini is such a disease.. I can't stand the prick.

• 2 weeks later...

More coaching appointments apparently

Source tells @NFLonFOX that @Browns have hired @StanfordFball defensive assistant Eric Sanders for same position. Worked w/Hue for @RAIDERS

OTqaow-R_bigger.jpg

Alex Marvez

account@alexmarvez

Source tells @NFLonFOX that @Browns have hired former @BCLions assistant and #NFL linebacker Johnny Holland as one of their LB coaches

Never heard of either. Or Alex Marvez. Anyone got any thoughts, heard of these guys?

BC Lions....play in Vancouver. CFL.

Wiki:

"After retiring as a linebacker for Green Bay, Holland moved on to an NFL coaching career. Holland began his coaching career as a defensive quality control coach for the Green Bay Packers from 1995-97. He went on to coach special teams in 1998 and linebackers in 1999. He would help to lead the Packers to back-to-back NFC Championships following the 1995 and 1996 seasons and an NFL Championship in Super Bowl XXXI.

In 2000, Holland moved on to the Seattle Seahawks, where he served as the assistant special teams/assistant strength and conditioning coach. While there he returned to his more familiar role as linebackers coach in 2001-2002.

For the 2003 season Holland would move to the Detroit Lions. While in Detroit, he was defensive assistant coach for 2003–2004 and linebackers coach for 2005.

Holland has returned to his Texas roots for the 2006 season. He was the linebackers coach for the Houston Texans until being fired in 2011.

In 2012, he was hired by new Raiders head coach Dennis Allen to coach the team's linebackers. On December 31, 2012, he was relieved of his duties.

He joined the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League as a Linebackers coach on February 19, 2014 after 17 years of coaching in the National Football League.

He returned to the National Football League in 2016 as linebackers coach of the Cleveland Browns under head coach Hue Jackson."

Wiki:

"After retiring as a linebacker for Green Bay, Holland moved on to an NFL coaching career. Holland began his coaching career as a defensive quality control coach for the Green Bay Packers from 1995-97. He went on to coach special teams in 1998 and linebackers in 1999. He would help to lead the Packers to back-to-back NFC Championships following the 1995 and 1996 seasons and an NFL Championship in Super Bowl XXXI.

In 2000, Holland moved on to the Seattle Seahawks, where he served as the assistant special teams/assistant strength and conditioning coach. While there he returned to his more familiar role as linebackers coach in 2001-2002.

For the 2003 season Holland would move to the Detroit Lions. While in Detroit, he was defensive assistant coach for 2003–2004 and linebackers coach for 2005.

Holland has returned to his Texas roots for the 2006 season. He was the linebackers coach for the Houston Texans until being fired in 2011.

In 2012, he was hired by new Raiders head coach Dennis Allen to coach the team's linebackers. On December 31, 2012, he was relieved of his duties.

He joined the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League as a Linebackers coach on February 19, 2014 after 17 years of coaching in the National Football League.

He returned to the National Football League in 2016 as linebackers coach of the Cleveland Browns under head coach Hue Jackson."

So? What? Is this guy like King of the Netherlands or something?

Though I thought that Johnny Holland was like Jean Claude Van Damme? No?

Oh....wait...I see....he is Johnny Belgium.

Jan Vermeer must be the real Johnny Holland.

Jan_Vermeer_van_Delft_007.jpg

So you're the other guy that watched that movie?

And I even may have read the novel. Senility has blacked that memory out so who the hell knows. :D But yep, Scarlett Johansson got a Golden Globe nomination in that movie role.

I haven't seen the movie but still recognised the painting. What does that win me? :P

An all-expense paid trip to The Hague to see it in person. The catch is you are the one paying for the trip. Plus you can send $300 to the scammer of your choice for not giving it to you for free. Any of those calling you with the the free trip you won to the Bahamas will do just fine. :P

Horton wasn't my first choice, but at the same time, is he better than O'Neil? I have to think that he's much better, and he has way, WAY more experience. The biggest issue for Horton is that he's not going to have a whole bunch of talent, and there's a good chance he doesn't get much help early in the draft. I have a sneaky suspicion we could go offense with our first and second pick, but it's just a hunch. We need a QB and we need a WR, and we need them NOW. The WR issue can be extremely mitigated by the return of Josh Gordon, but even his staunchest supporters (me) know that he can't be counted on. Even if Gordon DOES return, he never played as a deadly red zone target. From what I remember, Gordon did most of his damage on longer passes and many of his touchdowns seemed to be 20 yards or much more. I could be wrong, but I don't remember Gordon being a deadly red zone guy, or somebody that would leap to make contested catches on 3rd and goal. THAT'S what we need. A viable red zone target to go along with Barnidge.

Horton needs talent, and he needs a lot of it. Acquiring free agent pass rushers isn't exactly the easiest thing to do, and they generally come at a high price. Like, very high. Horton will also need a corner back, safety (at least one), and every type of linebacker. Very difficult to get all that in one draft or one period of free agency. I think it's safe to say that Gilbert is done and Tramon's best years are behind him. Even the superior Haden is surrounded by question marks, so a once stout secondary is now in severe flux. Our one big hope is that corner we drafted with the awful knee injury. He apparently is a hard worker, very bright, and was projected as a late first rounder before getting his knee mangled. Should he come back and play well, that would be just the type of boon our defense needs to get rolling.

I know we're sick of hearing this, but it's going to take time. I think we get our offense squared away this year, and then next season we focus on our defense. Fans don't mind having patience as long as the team is moving in the right direction. What killed Pettine was starting out 7-4 and being tied for the damn division lead after 11 games. Browns fans were as high as they've ever been, so when collapse came, and boy did it ever, we fell far and fell hard. Pettine's defense was picked apart, and he couldn't withstand the overwhelming injuries and subpar play.

Archived