THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

I dont like Matakevich as much as I did initially. I don't know what I think about Myles Jack still, have been so focused on QBs.

I think it would be invaluable to have a guy like Matakevich as a rotational/special teams player with upside. He's just one of those guys that I think are great foundational pieces - we would never be at a severe disadvantage with him rotating in just because of the fact that he's a very strong football mind.

Granted, the third isn't really a place where you take that sort of player, but I just like most things about him and I, personally, would be willing to take him at that slot.

Conversely, I like Jack's overall talent pool and how diverse his skillset is. I think he's a good athletic talent to take at the top of the draft.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been hard in the Wentz camp (second gayest thing I've said here), but I wouldn't mind signing RG3 and drafting Dak, say, in the fourth or so.

RG3 + Myles Jack (#2) + BPA EDGE/WR + Tyler Matakevich (3rd) + Joe Haeg (4th) + Dak Prescott (4th comp.) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

just pulled a draft last night rd1#2Wentz-rd 2#32 Spence-rd3#65Correa-rd4#99Lawler-rd4#138Prescott & still got Schobert in 5th but OL maybe the option..

I think it would be invaluable to have a guy like Matakevich as a rotational/special teams player with upside. He's just one of those guys that I think are great foundational pieces - we would never be at a severe disadvantage with him rotating in just because of the fact that he's a very strong football mind.

Granted, the third isn't really a place where you take that sort of player, but I just like most things about him and I, personally, would be willing to take him at that slot.

Conversely, I like Jack's overall talent pool and how diverse his skillset is. I think he's a good athletic talent to take at the top of the draft.

I agree Rd 3 is too early for Matakevich. I'd rather take Morrison on Day 3. I think he has starter, every-down potential.

Have only watched one game of Jack so far. They used him as a pass-rusher more than I thought they would... still don't see it.

OK, how do you interpret that?

Cardale is years away from being functional at the NFL level.

I wonder if Dak Prescott will fall because of DUI. All other accounts of his character have been very good.

FWIW... DraftScouts just dropped his projection from R3 to R4.

Have only watched one game of Jack so far. They used him as a pass-rusher more than I thought they would... still don't see it.

Agree... you have to extrapolate to "see" any edge rush impact. One college sack, three-years ago demands that...

But when you see his coverage ability and his slashing TFL plays, it's not hard to imagine a dozen per year in the right scheme of delays and loops.

I've been hard in the Wentz camp (second gayest thing I've said here), but I wouldn't mind signing RG3 and drafting Dak, say, in the fourth or so.

RG3 + Myles Jack (#2) + BPA EDGE/WR + Tyler Matakevich (3rd) + Joe Haeg (4th) + Dak Prescott (4th comp.) wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

What was the gayest?

MKC looking to break this poor boy's heart...

Hue Jackson raves about Jared Goff and tells Robert Griffin III to be ready to compete with a top pick

By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com on March 22, 2016 at 12:38 PM, updated March 22, 2016 at 5:03 PM

He had more to say about Goff than Wentz, probably because he just attended Goff's Pro Day Friday at Cal, and has recently spent private time with Goff and his family. He'll attend Wentz Pro Day at North Dakota State on Thursday.

"The guy threw the ball tremendously,'' said Jackson, a former Cal assistant and finalist for their head coach job in 2011. "He can make all the throws. For a big guy, he's more athletic than people think. He has quick feet. He obviously has a quick release. What I've seen on videotape to go along with the workout is he has tremendous poise in the pocket. He's a young man that can keep his eyes downfield when people are bearing at him and, to me, that's an unbelievable asset. Because a lot of people can't do that."

Goff also passed one of Jackson's biggest criteria for a quarterback: guts.

"His back foot, he digs it in the ground to throw the ball, where some people have a soft back foot because they're afraid to get hit,'' he said. "He's not like that. He likes to play. The guy's a gym rat. He comes early and stays late. He's been in a situation before where he had to be a part of what I call a reboot, not a rebuild as everyone wants to call it – so he has that, and that part of it I like about him. And he's a Cal Golden Bear."

He acknowledged that he's spent a lot of extra time with Goff, who turned the program around from 1-11 as a freshman to 8-5 last year, including a bowl win over Air Force.

"I've spent quite a bit of private time with him,'' he said. "I won't say when, but I have. I've gotten to know him and his family very well. We're going to do everything that we can to find out about these young men because it's a big decision as you know. This is not something where 'OK, give me that one.' We have to get this right."

And there's more in the full article...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/03/hue_jackson_raves_about_jared.html#incart_most-commented_browns_article

When I watch both Goff and Wentz throw the ball, my eyes tell me that Goff is the more talented thrower. He doesn't seem to work as hard to get the ball out of his hand, and his throwing motion is elegant. Goff also has extraordinary touch on the ball, and displayed more "drop it in the bucket" throws than just about anybody last year.

Wentz most certainly has his attributes as well, and this is a rare situation when I find myself not really caring which one we take. My only hope is that one of the two QB's in the conversation is actually WORTH the second pick of the draft. Somebody much smarter than me has to make that call, but I do know that neither Goff or Wentz are as talented as Winston or Mariota from last year. Obviously that's completely debatable, but that's what I see. Mariota had some real stinkers last year, but displayed tremendous grit and had a few outstanding games. Winston (my FSU boy!), was rookie of the year, and maybe struggled with accuracy a bit and turnovers (especially in red zone...he missed a lot of TD's), but virtually ALL rookies go through that. Winston's ceiling is ridiculous, and his "off the field issues" proved to be a non-factor.

Why do you think the sentiment has changed? Of course they are commenting on Goff,

he was terrific at his pro day.

Wentz hasn't had his pro day. I believe it's tomorrow. And nobody is a "lock". Neither Goff nor Wentz

has never been a "lock".

The only lock, is that I would draft Wentz at 2, absolutely, no doubt about it, take it to the bank.

Goff is a terrific college qb, but so is Wentz. I just think Goff isn't a fit for the Browns, personality wise.

I guess the biggest reason I'm all in on Wentz for the Browns... is that, like I've told Canton Mike and maybe

Flugels... Goff's personality reminds me of Jay Cutler. Old Shepsies had lovesies for Jay Cutler.

Wentz's personality is the anti-Jay Cutler, and that's a great thing.

so, I just and searched, and amazingly, lol... I'm not the only observer that thinks it.

Seriously, I just lol'd when I found this:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25527291/an-nfc-scout-is-not-big-on-jared-goff-to-me-hes-another-jay-cutler

I'm happy that the sentiment has changed and it no longer seems like we're a lock for Wentz.

These are the types of things that absolutely do not matter. Sentiment from people outside their inner circle is good for talk radio and web forums, but it does_not_matter.

These are the types of things that absolutely do not matter. Sentiment from people outside their inner circle is good for talk radio and web forums, but it does_not_matter.

Right. Unless your name is Andrew Berry, Paul Depodesta, Sachi Brown, Hue Jackson or Jimmy (and Dee?) Haslam...your opinions on the subject don't amount to a cabbage fart.

Another Goff article in MMQB that (shocker) agrees with what I see. Focus of the article is on parallels with Tim Couch. It includes some interesting lineage connections and comments form Bruce Ariens on Tim Couch that I'd not read before.

So even for the non-Goff folk, there's a good read to be found...

Jared Goff May Be the Next Tim Couch — In a Good Way!

by Robert Mays Mar. 31, 2016

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/30/nfl-jared-goff-cleveland-browns-tim-couch-2016-draft

Great arms come along all the time, but by the end of his time at Cal, Goff’s control—of both his surroundings and the Cal offense—is what put distance between him and the rest of the country’s prospects. His pocket presence seems preternatural. Goff navigated traffic with what seemed like a sixth sense during his final year at Cal, side-stepping rushers and finding throwing lanes while never fixating on those chasing him. He says he never sees actual rushers, only “flashes of color” in his peripheral vision, and it shows. Last season was also the first in which Goff was given complete audible power at the line of scrimmage. When he felt the need to change a play, there was a green light to do it.

I still have the image of the 5 interceptions he threw vs. Utah...in really the first game I saw him play.

You know what they say: You only have on chance to make a first impression. His impression was a crater in that game.

So, you see why I am not that high on him.

Perhaps his level of quality fits in with Vinny Interceptaverde...which is what I have seen.

I still have the image of the 5 interceptions he threw vs. Utah...in really the first game I saw him play.

Of the five, how many do you place on Goff?

Another Goff article in MMQB that (shocker) agrees with what I see. Focus of the article is on parallels with Tim Couch. It includes some interesting lineage connections and comments form Bruce Ariens on Tim Couch that I'd not read before.

So even for the non-Goff folk, there's a good read to be found...

Jared Goff May Be the Next Tim Couch — In a Good Way!

by Robert Mays Mar. 31, 2016

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/30/nfl-jared-goff-cleveland-browns-tim-couch-2016-draft

Great arms come along all the time, but by the end of his time at Cal, Goff’s control—of both his surroundings and the Cal offense—is what put distance between him and the rest of the country’s prospects. His pocket presence seems preternatural. Goff navigated traffic with what seemed like a sixth sense during his final year at Cal, side-stepping rushers and finding throwing lanes while never fixating on those chasing him. He says he never sees actual rushers, only “flashes of color” in his peripheral vision, and it shows. Last season was also the first in which Goff was given complete audible power at the line of scrimmage. When he felt the need to change a play, there was a green light to do it.

Mays is my favorite writer. Great piece

lol...

Probably not.....I would have to review the film. Most were on him....but the QB always gets the blame, even if it isn't really his fault.

Since you seem to think you know what happened in that game so intimately....give us your views.....off the top of your head.

Don't bother. Here is the film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOIniS4YV-s

I would say 3 for sure were his fault. One was not. One other could be considered either way.

All but 1 (the first one) were on Goff.

Those 4 throws had: a bad decision, a first-read lock, an overthrow and a breakdown.

Four bad, bad throws.

Here's a good video making the rounds today:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/715941609234436096/video/1

He throws off balance and short-arms it. Bad decision. Not a great throw. But it works. Good anticipation.

All but 1 (the first one) were on Goff.

Those 4 throws had: a bad decision, a first-read lock, an overthrow and a breakdown.

Four bad, bad throws.

Here's a good video making the rounds today:

https://twitter.com/BenFennell_NFL/status/715941609234436096/video/1

He throws off balance and short-arms it. Bad decision. Not a great throw. But it works. Good anticipation.

Maybe it worked at Cal.....not so sure about the NFL.

That clip prompted alleged NFL draft expert Matt Miller at Bleacher Report to tweet "QB1" --- People see what they want to see, and none of it matters unless you work for one of the teams. Miller, Rob Rang, and any other media prognosticator isn't talented enough to get a job with one of the 32 teams.

Daniel Jeremiah is the one exception to my rule on that, IMO.

There isn't much in that clip for me to get excited about.

That clip prompted alleged NFL draft expert Matt Miller at Bleacher Report to tweet "QB1" --- People see what they want to see, and none of it matters unless you work for one of the teams. Miller, Rob Rang, and any other media prognosticator isn't talented enough to get a job with one of the 32 teams.

Daniel Jeremiah is the one exception to my rule on that, IMO.

There isn't much in that clip for me to get excited about.

This clip shows one thing and one thing only - confirmation bias. Just like you said.

People who don't like Goff will see a poor PA fake, short armed throw and an absolutely ugly pass.

People who do like Goff will see a decent side step, great anticipation and perfect ball placement.

People who don't care either way will see both and wonder "it's impressive, yet how often will that work in the NFL?"

Goff is a good talent. If Goff can thread the same needles in the NFL, he'll be a great pro. Just like people pile on Wentz that the speed of the game will change, the speed changes the exact same for Goff. That's really all there is to it.

This clip shows one thing and one thing only - confirmation bias. Just like you said.

People who don't like Goff will see a poor PA fake, short armed throw and an absolutely ugly pass.

People who do like Goff will see a decent side step, great anticipation and perfect ball placement.

People who don't care either way will see both and wonder "it's impressive, yet how often will that work in the NFL?"

Isn't that what I said?

Goff is a good talent. If Goff can thread the same needles in the NFL, he'll be a great pro. Just like people pile on Wentz that the speed of the game will change, the speed changes the exact same for Goff. That's really all there is to it.

Archived