THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

22h22 hours ago
4cawMSnn_200x200.jpg

Mike, The QBs throw out cuts to their right and then to the left. The radar gun records their peak speed in both directions. The ball is thrown to a standing receiver

43m

There you have it.

Sounds like it's a fastball contest. Good to see how high these guys "top out" at, but it's not the end-all-be-all of arm strength measurement.

There you have it.

Sounds like it's a fastball contest. Good to see how high these guys "top out" at, but it's not the end-all-be-all of arm strength measurement.

Cool... Amazed it's not televised...

Wentz may be bigger and may throw harder and he may be more of a threat with his running game.

But I can't seem to find the minuses in Goff's game.

Wentz may be a threat to run, but Goff has great footwork in the pocket. Wentz may have a more powerful arm, but Goff is a great technical thrower and his arm is anything but a liability. Wentz is bigger, but Goff is still big and has had two years less to grow into his body. Goff has small hands, but throws a tighter spiral.

The way Goff sets his feet and goes through his reads, and gets the ball out quick - he's just precisely what this team needs. And I don't buy that Wentz has a higher ceiling either.

I was iffy at first about taking that QB with the first pick. But the more I've watched, read and listened to, the more sold I am that he's the guy we go for. And that we'll have finally made the right decision at that position.

Yes, it's a tough choice. For me, I'd go Wentz because he's built to play

in the tough division, and isn't a stranger to tough weather.

It's going to be wild when they pick their guy. I'm thinkin it's qb ..."for sure".

Wentz may be bigger and may throw harder and he may be more of a threat with his running game.

But I can't seem to find the minuses in Goff's game.

Wentz may be a threat to run, but Goff has great footwork in the pocket. Wentz may have a more powerful arm, but Goff is a great technical thrower and his arm is anything but a liability. Wentz is bigger, but Goff is still big and has had two years less to grow into his body. Goff has small hands, but throws a tighter spiral.

The way Goff sets his feet and goes through his reads, and gets the ball out quick - he's just precisely what this team needs. And I don't buy that Wentz has a higher ceiling either.

I was iffy at first about taking that QB with the first pick. But the more I've watched, read and listened to, the more sold I am that he's the guy we go for. And that we'll have finally made the right decision at that position.

Very similar to my thoughts so obviously I agree...

Distilled my case down to:

People who want to talk about Wentz's higher ceiling really need to worry about him first reaching Goff's floor. Doing so is far from a given...

Of course for some reason folks never are satisfied by my distillation... ;)

about Goff:

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/02/19/jared-goff-2016-nfl-draft-profile/

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/02/15/carson-wentz-2016-nfl-draft-profile/

Truth is, on the field, Goff is compared to Phillip Rivers, and Wentz is compared to

rothlicksbooger on the field.

By the same guy. "ABOUT THE AUTHOR: JOHN BAVA, NFL DEPT HEAD

John is currently NFL Department Head at LastWordonSports.com. "

I prefer Wentz, but it is close.

from NFL.COM:

about Goff:

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Quality arm. Makes all the throws and can sling the deep out with velocity and accuracy. Clean release and snaps throws off with flick of the wrist. Drives hips through his release for extra heat. Pocket mobility and poise showed improvement from 2014 to 2015. Maintains proper footwork and readiness to throw as he slides inside the pocket. Speeds up internal clock when he feels pressure or recognizes blitz. Pocket climber. Able to run out of trouble rather than into it. Looks the part of a confident, first round quarterback when working from a clean pocket. Sells his play ­fakes with purpose and draws linebackers forward. Has learned to expedite his throws from off­-balance angles due to pocket pressure. Will throw receivers open in tight quarters. Has excellent trajectory and pillowy soft touch on touch throws down the field that give receivers a chance to make plays. Showed substantial growth with his willingness to attack intermediate areas of the field and did so with accuracy and relative success. Completed an impressive 43.8 percent of his deep throws. Competes on third and long seeking out first downs over check downs. WEAKNESSES Hits a rough patch with accuracy from time to time. Sails throws over intended targets especially early in games. Has spots where he makes receivers work too hard on easy throws. Spent 99.8 percent of his pass snaps from pistol or shotgun this season. Will likely need to orient himself with NFL footwork from under center. Rhythm passer who benefited from the up­tempo and "quick game" of Cal's Bear Raid offense. Has to learn fine line between getting ball out and rushing throws. Able to escape pocket, but isn't a proven finisher when on the move. Fumbled the ball 24 times over the last three years losing 11. Sacked 81 times over three years. Internal clock and poise will need to be monitored closely. Several of his interceptions came when he failed to read zone defenders underneath drifting up to challenge the throw. NFL COMPARISON Matt Ryan BOTTOM LINE

While Goff is a little leaner in the lower body than teams might like, he has good size, an NFL arm, advanced pocket mobility and the field demeanor of a franchise quarterback. His accuracy and decision making will suffer from occasional lapses, but he displays the tools to become a good starting quarterback with time.

about Wentz, same place:

ANALYSIS STRENGTHS Tall with an athletic, proportional build that is made for the NFL position. Played in a pro-­style attack with plenty of snaps under center. Asked to make NFL throws and showed he could do it. Stands tall in the pocket and delivers with a relatively high release point. Keeps ball high and tight in the pocket and can uncork it quickly with tight, sharp release and little wasted motion. Throws catchable ball with tight spiral. Naturally accurate passer. Sees lurking linebackers underneath and throws receivers open to safest spot in the passing window. Able to change arm slots and still throw a strike. Has plus deep ball accuracy and touch. Calm in pocket and has no problems sitting in and taking a hit to complete a pass. Excelled in structured passing attack that required him to read the entire field. Has athleticism to escape pressure and hurt defenses with his legs. Already able to feel pressure on the edges and slide around in pocket without dropping his eyes. Adept in play-­action game at selling fakes and quickly finding safeties to help determine where to go with the ball. Intelligent with long list of academic achievements. Should be able to process and handle an NFL playbook quickly. Can play pitch and catch all day long against zone coverage. WEAKNESSES When rolling out, will float it a little too much when taking shots down the field. Allows passing windows to close quickly when he short­ arms his release. Needs a little more consistency on anticipatory throws outside the hash. Will get caught locking in on target bringing secondary charging in to make a play on the ball. Inconsistent footwork from the pocket. Arm gets ahead of his feet even with time to come to balance. Needs to pick up pace of his post-­snap setup. Has to put a little extra air on his field-­side throws. Can be a little flat with his downfield, touch throws. Has to eliminate the occasional nonchalant throw into tight quarters. Doesn't look comfortable yet with bootleg rollouts to the left. Broke a bone in his throwing wrist in October sidelining him for eight weeks. Dealt with arm and shoulder injuries as a baseball player in high school. Lower level of competition could cause issues for him adapting to NFL speed. NFL COMPARISON Blake Bortles BOTTOM LINE

With a body type that is as prototypical as they come and a background in reading the entire field and working through progressions, Wentz will immediately check a couple of boxes that many college quarterbacks won't be able to check. While his arm strength is OK, he can still make all the throws and he can make them with accuracy. His ability to escape pressure and pick up first downs with his feet will be yet another check mark in his favor. Wentz is still in a developmental phase after just two years at an FBS program, but has the mental and physical building blocks of a future, franchise quarterback.

they both got the same grade - 6.5. I will surely fall out of my chair laughing, at Canton Mike's man cave..

if the Brown don't pick one of these two guys at #2.... but I won't be surprised if they pick Goff, .... or Wentz.

I'll love whichever pick they go with. I'd pick Wentz.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2469137-meet-jared-goff-the-2016-nfl-drafts-top-qb-heading-into-next-season

There is nothing spectacular about Goff from a physical standpoint, but he also has no major physical deficiencies that should keep him from being a successful NFL quarterback.

His arm strength is only average by NFL standards; when he throws the ball more than 30 yards downfield, his lack of ability to drive it deep can be apparent. On throws to the intermediate level, however, he consistently throws the ball with enough velocity to fit passes within tight coverage windows.

No one should mistake Goff for being a dual-threat quarterback—passing from the pocket will have to be his forte in the pros—but he does have quick enough feet to extend plays as a passer and occasionally gain yardage as a runner.

I've said before, Wentz or Goff would be fine by me, but Goff is the better quarterback right now, today, and that will be important stepping in to a bad team like the browns. It's not like we've got an all star RB and a couple of big dominant receivers to get him out of trouble, so that would be why I'm leaning Goff. If Wentz comes through the first couple of seasons without being 'Tim Couched' then you'll be on to something but that might not happen in cleveland.

but neither one will have to start with the Browns. And, I believe the roster on offense

is going to be far more qb friendly after FA and the draft.

but neither one will have to start with the Browns. And, I believe the roster on offense

is going to be far more qb friendly after FA and the draft.

You may well be right about that, and if the plan is to sit a QB for a couple of years then there's no real preference from me. But do you think that's likely?

they both got the same grade - 6.5. I will surely fall out of my chair laughing, at Canton Mike's man cave..

if the Brown don't pick one of these two guys at #2.... but I won't be surprised if they pick Goff, .... or Wentz.

I'll love whichever pick they go with. I'd pick Wentz.

Goff at 6.5 is a downward revision. He was at 6.7... tied with Bosa.

Silver and Casserly were in agreement a few minutes ago that Goff is going to be an excellent NFL QB.

More than that Silver said he'd have a great career for someone...

Please let it be us...

Archived