THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple more tidbits for the Goff doubters....

Silver, the NFL Network commentator, who was at the Pro Day, commented on Goff's pocket presence. Said it was as good as he has ever seen at the college level. Put it on par with Brady's and Rogers' pocket presence. Said that he asked Brady and Rogers whether their presence was learned or if they always had "it". Both said the latter. Asked if they thought it could be taught, they said they did not think so.

Mayock said if he had to pick a QB to be his 2016 starter, it's Goff. Despite Wentz playing in a "Pro System", taking snaps from under center, blah, blah, blah.... he takes Goff... the QB who has shown the ability to read 3 and 4 progressions deep. (Yet somehow Wentz is still atop his QB board.)

McShay reported from ProDay on NFL Insiders that the word he has gotten is that while both Wentz and Goff have impressed pro personnel with their football IQ, it is Goff that has really blown them away with his game mastery at the white board. His quick grasp of a novel package concept... his ability to absorb, explain and extrapolate upon the information just fed him has astonished the pros.

I prefer the guy who is already there. Not the guy who still has a ways to go... no matter how promising he looks on his journey.

And as far as leadership... was easy to the respect and regard his teammates held for Goff. It was all over their casual interactions in the weight room where measurements were done before they took the field.

Bugles.... I remember those...

All right... Pro Day is in the books.

Commentators giving Goff high marks for his script being loaded with many, high difficulty throws.... many more than the average Pro day. Script totaled just shy of 70 throws.

After the script our Pep Hamilton came out with a water bottle and doused the ball for about another half dozen throws of Pep's choice. Undoubtedly a preview of a private workout yet to come. One wobbler was produced, but others were nice, tight throws.

Nice performance by Jared "Big Hands" Goff...

But did he wear shoulder pads, have an ex-president show up, or have Drake's music playing?

Couple more tidbits for the Goff doubters....

Silver, the NFL Network commentator, who was at the Pro Day, commented on Goff's pocket presence. Said it was as good as he has ever seen at the college level. Put it on par with Brady's and Rogers' pocket presence. Said that he asked Brady and Rogers whether their presence was learned or if they always had "it". Both said the latter. Asked if they thought it could be taught, they said they did not think so.

Mayock said if he had to pick a QB to be his 2016 starter, it's Goff. Despite Wentz playing in a "Pro System", taking snaps from under center, blah, blah, blah.... he takes Goff... the QB who has shown the ability to read 3 and 4 progressions deep. (Yet somehow Wentz is still atop his QB board.)

McShay reported from ProDay on NFL Insiders that the word he has gotten is that while both Wentz and Goff have impressed pro personnel with their football IQ, it is Goff that has really blown them away with his game mastery at the white board. His quick grasp of a novel package concept... his ability to absorb, explain and extrapolate upon the information just fed him has astonished the pros.

I prefer the guy who is already there. Not the guy who still has a ways to go... no matter how promising he looks on his journey.

And as far as leadership... was easy to the respect and regard his teammates held for Goff. It was all over their casual interactions in the weight room where measurements were done before they took the field.

You have this strange urge to divide people that I really don't understand. Have said from day 1 that I like and would appreciate both of these quarterbacks, but I prefer Wentz and graded him slightly higher. I don't doubt that Jared Goff is a good prospect.

But did he wear shoulder pads, have an ex-president show up, or have Drake's music playing?

No... and those were all pluses...

One other Mayock musing from today:

This draft's Goff/ Wentz pair will end up as good or better than 2015's Wilson/ Mariota.

No... and those were all pluses...

One other Mayock musing from today:

This draft's Goff/ Wentz pair will end up as good or better than 2015's Wilson/ Mariota.

Definitely a change in the narrative from "no Top 5 QB" just a couple months ago. Not Mayock specifically, but all the Twitter GMs and "scouts" who were and probably still are saying that.

Browns need their future, and they have two choices.

You have this strange urge to divide people that I really don't understand. Have said from day 1 that I like and would appreciate both of these quarterbacks, but I prefer Wentz and graded him slightly higher. I don't doubt that Jared Goff is a good prospect.

If I saw them as close, then I would not try to draw out distinctions...

I do not see them as close.

Definitely a change in the narrative from "no Top 5 QB" just a couple months ago. Not Mayock specifically, but all the Twitter GMs and "scouts" who were and probably still are saying that.

Browns need their future, and they have two choices.

There we continue to agree...

Just replaying today's NFL Insiders and for the first time I heard conversation about the demand going up for these 2 QBs. Even heard speculation of them going 1-2 for the first time due to demand generated by teams in the 2nd half of the first round, driving actions by teams within striking distance of trading for #1.

Sorry, cal... as of now he is...Tour

In the area of experience, sure. But athleticism? Nope. Wentz is very much more athletic. Athleticism

is quite a talent, and to a degree, that isn't a coaching thing. You watch Wentz reinterate a complex play that

Mariuchi sp? drew on the board, then spun the white board backwards, and Wentz asked if it was his turn,

Mariuchi smiled and said "nope..." and asked him a bunch of questions. And when it was Wentz's turn, he

adeptly reiterated the complex play and had him really smiling at how excellent he did. Both Goff and Wentz

are very intelligent, Bernie Kosar smart, maybe. Sure, if you had to start your rookie from the gitgo, you would

probably pick Goff. But having Mccown as the starter for a half yr?, until he gets banged up, you could insert

Wentz in there, and he may keep that job and run with it. But at the pro day, Mayock? was talking that Goff

didn't have the strength on the deep throws, that Wentz has, and that could make a difference in bad weather

Cleveland plays in, and brought up the two Oregon games Goff struggled in.

The talents are different - I don't see Goff "more talented"..inferring across the board. Neither did Mayock.

Goff has a lot more experience at the helm, and showed a lot of fight in him, when he didn't have an all star

competitive cast around him.

I'll be delighted with either one - it's up to Hue. But in this division...I'd go with Wentz, since Mccown is quite

capable of playing, and showing a brilliant Wentz the ropes for a while. We'll see !

Be strong in your convictions. If Wentz blows the big one and Goff becomes the next Brady, you'll be able to say "I told you so".

Although I don't see that happening whatsoever...

And when that day comes, Tour will pack his bent billiard pipe and smoke it, with an ever-so twinkle in his eye.

Be strong in your convictions. If Wentz blows the big one and Goff becomes the next Brady, you'll be able to say "I told you so".

Although I don't see that happening whatsoever...

I am fortified by your words...

And when that day comes, Tour will pack his bent billiard pipe and smoke it, with an ever-so twinkle in his eye.

lol.... no pipe, but by then Cubans should be easy to come by...

One of two

'bout time you showed up, mi compadre'...

Always pictured you as a pipe guy, no innuendo/pun intended.

lol... none taken...

Dad was a pipe guy for a time long ago... maybe you are confusing us?

I had a couple (real) Cubans in Mexico (I know they were real based on my research, almost everybody sells fakes). I honestly can't tell the difference between a Cuban and any other cigar - I smoked one on the beach though which was nice.

I had a couple (real) Cubans in Mexico (I know they were real based on my research, almost everybody sells fakes). I honestly can't tell the difference between a Cuban and any other cigar - I smoked one on the beach though which was nice.

A lot of other Central American nations use Cuban tobbakky in theirs. Because they are rolled, packaged and distributed by another country, they're OK to get through the embargo. When is that ending?

and how many passes, how is his wr's on those long throws?

Bobby Bettilyon@BobbyBattlelyon
@PFF_College @PFF that is all well and good but on average, teams averaged two 20+pass plays a game last year
Jake Johnson@JakeJohnsonJO
@PFF_College @PFF if you saw our receiving core on deep routes, you would understand.
graph.png

Using stats isn't the best for this type of discussion, but UGH, OK we can do that. Justin is a very good friend of mine and put a ton of work into this, please give it a read (don't just read the charts).

http://draftbreakdown.com/2016-nfl-draft-breaking-down-situational-quarterback-performance/

Wentz has advantages in a few of the categories, not just above Goff, but above the rest of this QB class.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016positionreviewQB.php

Position Review: Quarterbacks

Quarterback Class
Early-round talent: B
Mid-round: B+
Late-round: B-
Overall grade: B

Merging the 2016 and 2015 prospects
Jameis Winston
Marcus Mariota
Carson Wentz
Jared Goff
Paxton Lynch

Connor Cook
Garrett Grayson
Cardale Jones
Dak Prescott
Christian Hackenberg

Sean Mannion
Jacoby Brissett
Kevin Hogan
Bryce Petty
Brett Hundley

Brandon Allen
Nate Sudfeld
Trevor Siemian
Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016positionreviewQB.php#BLi3hBg2TzRhSb2R.99

Safest Pick: Carson Wentz, North Dakota State

image: http://www.walterfootball.com/college/NorthDakotaState_logo.gif

Normally, this is a pretty easy choice for me, but it was difficult this year. I think Wentz and Goff are at a similar level of risk. Goff didn't play in a pro-style offense and there are size concerns, while Wentz faces a big jump in competition and has a relative lack of starting experience. I decided to pick Wentz because sources across the league with a variety of teams have said that he is a complete quarterback prospect with a great skill set, off-the-field attributes, and football I.Q.; all while coming from a pro-style system. I think both Wentz and Goff will pan out. I think if either is a bust it will be because they went to a bad team with poor management and the organization itself ruins the playe

Read more at http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2016positionreviewQB.php#BLi3hBg2TzRhSb2R.99

Quarterback Rankings by Attributes

Accuracy:
NFL prototype: Aaron Rodgers, Packers

1. Jared Goff
  2. Carson Wentz
  3. Paxton Lynch
  4. Cardale Jones
  5. Dak Prescott
  6. Jacoby Brissett
  7. Christian Hackenberg
  8. Connor Cook

Arm Strength:

NFL prototype: Joe Flacco, Ravens

1. Cardale Jones
  2. Carson Wentz
  3. Paxton Lynch
  4. Christian Hackenberg
  5. Jared Goff
  6. Connor Cook
  7. Dak Prescott
  8. Jacoby Brissett

Field Vision:
NFL prototype: Tom Brady, Patriots

1. Jared Goff
  2. Carson Wentz
  3. Connor Cook
  4. Christian Hackenberg
  5. Cardale Jones
  6. Jacoby Brissett
  7. Dak Prescott
  8. Paxton Lynch

Decision-Making:

NFL prototype: Tom Brady, Patriots

1. Carson Wentz
  2. Paxton Lynch
  3. Dak Prescott
  4. Jared Goff
  5. Connor Cook
  6. Jacoby Brissett
  7. Cardale Jones
  8. Christian Hackenberg

Upside:

NFL prototype: Cam Newton, Panthers

1. Cardale Jones
  2. Carson Wentz
  3. Paxton Lynch
  4. Dak Prescott
  5. Jared Goff
  6. Christian Hackenberg
  7. Jacoby Brissett
  8. Connor Cook

Mobility:

NFL prototype: Cam Newton, Panthers

1. Cardale Jones
  2. Carson Wentz
  3. Paxton Lynch
  4. Dak Prescott
  5. Jared Goff
  6. Jacoby Brissett
  7. Connor Cook
  8. Christian Hackenberg

Intangibles:
NFL prototype: Drew Brees, Saints

1. Carson Wentz
  2. Dak Prescott
  3. Jared Goff
  4. Paxton Lynch
  5. Jacoby Brissett
  6. Christian Hackenberg
  7. Cardale Jones
  8. Connor Cook

Archived