THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We'll be retiring #16 in 20 years give or take ;)

Here's part of a revised nursery rhyme on behalf of the 1 former QB here that tarnished #16:

Paul McDonald took the field

E-I-E-I Ouch.

After the snap - he closed his eyes

E-I-E-I Ouch

So during the play - he threw the pic

E-I-E-I Ouch

I'm thinking Goff is going to be a lot like Aaron Rodgers and I hope he drops in the draft like Rodgers did if we do not take him at number two or what ever we get if we can trade back. I think Rodgers and Goff had the same position coaches in college didn't they?.

I don't think so - same colleges, different staff.

I don't see him falling too far in the draft though - it's probably at #2 or not at all.

Well, even with the different staffs, Goff has a lot of the same pro traits that I noticed with Rodgers. They both had strong accurate arms, they both looked good at quick release and reading the defense at the college level, and they both were great field generals while playing for Cal. Of course this does not mean that Goff will turn out like Rodgers but he has the best chance out of the options in my opinion.

Well, even with the different staffs, Goff has a lot of the same pro traits that I noticed with Rodgers. They both had strong accurate arms, they both looked good at quick release and reading the defense at the college level, and they both were great field generals while playing for Cal. Of course this does not mean that Goff will turn out like Rodgers but he has the best chance out of the options in my opinion.

He's the best mechanically, best mentally, the youngest, the most accurate.

I agree with you - I really wanna see him here, we really have a great environment for a young quarterback now with Hue+Staff and McCown

I'm thinking Goff is going to be a lot like Aaron Rodgers and I hope he drops in the draft like Rodgers did if we do not take him at number two or what ever we get if we can trade back. I think Rodgers and Goff had the same position coaches in college didn't they?.

One of the things Rodgers put on his college resume that prior QBs like Elway, Montana, and Kosar once did was beat a more talented opponent he wasn't supposed/expected to. When Cal upset a much more talented USC team because of Rogers - it showed at least 1 NFL team in the first round this might be a good horse to bet on. If you're going to join a bad football team that plays a lot of teams you aren't supposed to beat - this is a pretty cool quality to possess. Obviously, a lot of other important intangibles are required too.

Kosar took the U to a level Jim Kelly couldn't. He had them in a National Championship Game before their roster was loaded with NFL talent on both sides of the ball. They upset Nebraska before he came and led this team to 3 AFC Championship game appearances. What were we accomplishing before and after Kosar here? Montana ruined an undefeated season for Texas in a game Notre Dame wasn't favored to win. I began hating Elway as early as his second half where Stanford erased a huge halftime deficit to tie a much more talent Ohio State team.

I would love to a QB that can come here and elevate the play of everyone around him again. It's been a long time.

Goff doesn't have a rocket arm, but that's fine by me. As long as he can make progressions, deliver the ball accurately and avoid pressure in the pocket, I'm good. Rocket arms fail far more often than rocket minds.

True words.,,,,QB is the one position where the physical aspects are far outweighed by the mental and instinctive aspects. Ive seen lots and lots of average sized non athletic QB's succeed at a high level....but have seen very few premier athletes with the perfect size succeed without the smarts and instincts.....

And only a select few that have both.....

He's the best mechanically, best mentally, the youngest, the most accurate.

I agree with you - I really wanna see him here, we really have a great environment for a young quarterback now with Hue+Staff and McCown

How does his pecker taste? Like Chicken....or greasy like duck?

Needed a bump- guess who?

"Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the XX season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own."

EDIT: I left that up for fun. It's the pre draft report on Tom Brady. He seems to have turned out OK. A lot of the same knocks we're seeing on Goff.

Needed a bump- guess who?

"Negatives: Poor build. Very skinny and narrow. Ended the XX season weighing 195 pounds and still looks like a rail at 211. Looks a little frail and lacks great physical stature and strength. Can get pushed down more easily than you'd like. Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush. Lacks a really strong arm. Can't drive the ball down the field and does not throw a really tight spiral. System-type player who can get exposed if he must ad-lib and do things on his own."

EDIT: I left that up for fun. It's the pre draft report on Tom Brady. He seems to have turned out OK. A lot of the same knocks we're seeing on Goff.

LMAO... "Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush" did not seem to fit my boy, but the rest might... in someone's mind anyway... ;)

Who wrote that, h?

LMAO... "Lacks mobility and ability to avoid the rush" did not seem to fit my boy, but the rest might... in someone's mind anyway... ;)

Who wrote that, h?

Not sure, got that off the other board. :)

Goff is Tom Brady now?

He could be another Joey Harrington for all we know. But what I will say with confidence- Goff isn't going to have any off field issues like out last first round qb pick does.

So much for a vote of confidence.

Just keepin' it real Mike. The 26? name qb jersey has taught me to be cautious. That said, Wentz is obviously superior physically, but Goff having a relatively small frame & lesser arm shouldn't be a non-starter. I suppose the same could be said about Lynch being a system quarterback. Shades of Dave Klingler.

I like to think Hue knows what a potential upper level NFL quarterback looks like, & I'm sure the analytics guys will watch every snap Goff, Wentz, and Lynch took. As well as work them out. I do like Goff's comment he's going to do everything- including throw- at the combine.

I don't care who they pick, just pick the right guy for a change. Haven't heard about off field red flags about any of the top 3 qbs. Heard Wentz is a huntin' & fishin' kind of guy. (Just don't shoot yourself in the leg like Plaxico) Goff's Cal coach praised him as being super high character.

Just keepin' it real Mike. The 26? name qb jersey has taught me to be cautious. That said, Wentz is obviously superior physically, but Goff having a relatively small frame & lesser arm shouldn't be a non-starter. I suppose the same could be said about Lynch being a system quarterback. Shades of Dave Klingler.

I like to think Hue knows what a potential upper level NFL quarterback looks like, & I'm sure the analytics guys will watch every snap Goff, Wentz, and Lynch took. As well as work them out. I do like Goff's comment he's going to do everything- including throw- at the combine.

I don't care who they pick, just pick the right guy for a change. Haven't heard about off field red flags about any of the top 3 qbs. Heard Wentz is a huntin' & fishin' kind of guy. (Just don't shoot yourself in the leg like Plaxico) Goff's Cal coach praised him as being super high character.

There was a report somewhere after the senior bowl that said Goff is the only prospect with 0 off field concerns.

The main things I like about him are the mental aspects - brain, vision, pocket awareness. The physical tools are good enough though. They were also saying Wentz had less velocity than Goff despite having a bigger arm.

They were also saying Wentz had less velocity than Goff despite having a bigger arm.

I've seen that. I think some is mechanics, but seems like mostly it's due to Wentz consciously using a lower percentage of his "power" for most of his throws. Almost like he aims the ball whenever he can... and it's not a "touch" thing.

A good example was the Sr. Bowl seam route to Vannett. The only throw Wentz flat out, ripped that I can remember off the top of my head was the out route in the Sr. Bowl.

I would think his receivers would want more of the latter.

Kid believes in himself...

I did not know Hue had Cal roots so he'll get the inside "story".

===========================================================================================

Jared Goff excited about Browns possibly drafting him at No. 2; confident he's 'best QB in draft'

By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com on February 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM, updated February 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_excited_about_brown.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Cal quarterback Jared Goff, who's on the Browns' radar with their No. 2 pick in the draft, said recently he's the top quarterback of the 2016 class and that he'd be thrilled to land in Cleveland.

"I think my accuracy is as good as it gets at this level," Goff told Peter King of The Monday Morning Quarterback. "I think my pocket presence and my ability to extend plays speak for themselves. I'm confident I'll be the best quarterback in the draft."

King asked Goff about the specter of going to Cleveland, 'where quarterbacks go to die.'

But Goff (6-4, 215), who's already familiar with Browns coach Hue Jackson, the former Cal assistant in 1996, has no qualms about landing in Cleveland.

"I'm not worried about it," he said. "I'm excited about it. Whatever team I go to, I'll be excited to go. I want to be the future of a franchise. I think I can be a guy who can make an impact right away."

Goff's two biggest competitors for the No. 1 quarterback spot are North Dakota State's Carson Wentz and Memphis' Paxton Lynch. The three quarterbacks will be on display at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis beginning next week.

Jackson met with Wentz at the Senior Bowl three weeks ago and was impressed, and he chatted with Paxton Lynch at a Super Bowl party hosted by Lynch's agent, Leigh Steinberg the day before the game.

Jackson was tentatively scheduled to attend a Super Bowl party with Goff hosted by NFL Network's Mike Silver, a Cal alum and a mutual friend of the coach and quarterback. But Jackson got in a day later and wasn't able to catch up with Goff during Super Bowl festivities.

"I have never met Jared, but I'm sure that will happen at some point soon,'' Jackson told cleveland.com at the Super Bowl. "There are some things I've heard and some things that I know. Again, I coached at Cal, so I do know quite a few people that are still there and again the guy's been a sensational player at Cal. But just like all the rest of the guys in this process, we'll evaluate them all and see how it turns out.''

Lynch (6-7, 245), passed Jackson's muster as "the face of a franchise'' during their meeting at the party.

"He's tall,'' Jackson said. "He's a tall young man. He looks like Man Mountain Dean standing up there. But what a nice kid, a personable kid with great parents. He carries himself extremely well, as I expected that he would.''

Like Goff, Lynch isn't hurting for confidence heading into the pre-draft process. During Super Bowl week, he told nj.com that he compares himself to Super Bowl participant Cam Newton.

Goff and Lynch have already said they will throw at the Combine, and Wentz -- who dazzled scouts and coaches during three days of practices at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., will likely do so as well.

"That's the only time you're going to be around all those GMs and coaches," Lynch told 97.5 The Game in San Francisco. "They get to watch you throw head to head against the guys you're being compared to, so that's a good time to compete, in my opinion."

NFL Network's Mike Mayock recently ranked Wentz ahead of Goff and Lynch in his top five rankings at each position on nfl.com, but those rankings sometimes change after the Combine when coaches get their eyes on the prospects. But he still really likes the Cal signal-caller, despite the fact he played in a spread offense, which is sometimes hard to project.

"Jared Goff makes every throw,'' Mayock recently told the The College Draft podcast. "Everybody criticizes the system he's in, but if you really watch enough of his tape, you can find him scanning the field, doing full-field reads, climbing the pocket, making the correct reads and checkdown throws. I really like Jared Goff."

Goff, a junior, threw 43 touchdown passes against only 13 interceptions in 2015. Despite playing in the spread, scouts believe his skills will translate to the NFL.

And in time, he'll find out if the Browns agree he's the best in the draft.

Your Picks:

Round 1 Pick 2: Joey Bosa, DE/OLB, Ohio State (A)

Round 1 Pick 4 (DAL): Jared Goff, QB, California (A+)

Round 5 Pick 2: Derek Watt, FB, Wisconsin (D)

Round 6 Pick 1: Josh Forrest, ILB, Kentucky (F)

Round 7 Pick 2: Matt Ioannidis, DT, Temple (A)

Your Future Picks:

2018 Round 1 Pick

So how would you guys want to handle the starting QB situation next year if we took Goff? If you say start McCown, specify until when.

Until Goff is ready...

Archived