THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Goff

SPEK216

Don't know this reviewer, but notes are very similar to mine... so clearly the guy is good... ;) He has illustrative videos embedded in his write up.

================================================================================

http://nflbreakdowns.com/jared-goff-qb-cal-nfldraft2016/

Scouting Report

•Amazing footwork in the pocket. Keeps feet moving alternating his steps to give himself the ability to set quickly and throw.

•Good mechanics on his throws. Smooth throwing motion with a quick release.

•Shows a great ability to maneuever himself in the pocket. Steps into his throws and shows a good feel for the pocket. Knows when to scramble, but tends to stay in the pocket when under pressure.

•Good velocity on his throws. Has the arm strength to fit passes into tight windows, but does not display this ability on film often. Tends to rely more on touch and ball placement to complete his passes.

•Tends to avoid tight windows and instead goes for the open route on quick passes.

•Has great accuracy on short and intermediate throws and places the ball extremely well on deep passes.

•Good athlete when scrambling. Has the speed and agility to make defenders miss and rack up yards on the run.

•Slight frame at only 215 pounds, but has never missed a start due to injury in his 3 year career at Cal behind a weak offensive line.

•Does not line up under center. Typically takes 3 step drop backs, occasionally does 5 steps, and no 7 step drops. Will need to relearn how to drop back from under center in the NFL.

•Does not have a lot of experience going through a progression. Makes mostly single read plays, does not freeze the safeties very often, and does not look off defenders.

•When he does go through a progression he shows a good internal clock and is very good at quickly moving between his reads. Should quickly adjust to the speed of the NFL.

•Was a team captain as a sophomore.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol...

I feel like Goff would take the job at some point in his rookie season. But I cannot say when.

Could he be ready Week 1? Yes... I think Goff is the most NFL ready QB in the 2016 draft so I think that is possible he could be ready Week 1. However, possible is not the same as probable or likely. And because thanks to McCown our new QB's debut does not have to be Week 1, I would err towards conservatism.

At least let me see a schedule, if not some pre-season work.

=======================================================================================

Jared Goff excited about Browns possibly drafting him at No. 2; confident he's 'best QB in draft'

By Mary Kay Cabot, Cleveland.com on February 15, 2016 at 4:44 PM, updated February 15, 2016 at 5:18 PM

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2016/02/jared_goff_excited_about_brown.html

King asked Goff about the specter of going to Cleveland, 'where quarterbacks go to die.'

But Goff (6-4, 215), who's already familiar with Browns coach Hue Jackson, the former Cal assistant in 1996, has no qualms about landing in Cleveland.

Jackson met with Wentz at the Senior Bowl three weeks ago and was impressed, and he chatted with Paxton Lynch at a Super Bowl party hosted by Lynch's agent, Leigh Steinberg the day before the game.

Jackson was tentatively scheduled to attend a Super Bowl party with Goff hosted by NFL Network's Mike Silver, a Cal alum and a mutual friend of the coach and quarterback. But Jackson got in a day later and wasn't able to catch up with Goff during Super Bowl festivities.

"I have never met Jared, but I'm sure that will happen at some point soon,'' Jackson told cleveland.com at the Super Bowl. "There are some things I've heard and some things that I know. Again, I coached at Cal, so I do know quite a few people that are still there and again the guy's been a sensational player at Cal. But just like all the rest of the guys in this process, we'll evaluate them all and see how it turns out.''

Lynch (6-7, 245), passed Jackson's muster as "the face of a franchise'' during their meeting at the party.

"He's tall,'' Jackson said. "He's a tall young man. He looks like Man Mountain Dean standing up there. But what a nice kid, a personable kid with great parents. He carries himself extremely well, as I expected that he would.''

Damn Hue, If we learned one thing from JM. Make sure you make it to the Right Party :P!! God Please keep MKC away from any damn QB we draft.. MKC-"Hue why did you not show at Goff's SB Party" Hue-"Whether Delay". You know it's coming.. :lol:

Until he gets injured as per usual haha.

So, first drive of the season?

Seriously though, I'd start McCown as long as he isn't directly costing us games, or until Goff shows he's unequivocally better than McCown and won't get destroyed.

I'm a little concerned about the lack of progressions and not looking off defenders. That would keep him off the field until he improves those areas greatly in practice. Some learn quick and others have a hard time developing those habits, or revert to old ways under pressure.

I'm a little concerned about the lack of progressions and not looking off defenders.

I'm not because I've seen him do both... repeatedly.

Interesting. I wonder why the evaluator you cited had that as a problem.

Dunno... maybe a Manziel fan? ;)

Seriously... I had in my notes "good eye discipline". And as he slide in the pocket he can be seen surveying the field.

Dunno... maybe a Manziel fan? ;)

Seriously... I had in my notes "good eye discipline". And as he slide in the pocket he can be seen surveying the field.

Criticizing Goff has nothing to do with being a Manziel fan.

Manziel is gone, so how can having liked him have any affect on evaluating the potential future QB of the team?

That said, Wentz has a slight edge on Goff for me right now. More arm, more mobility.

There was a report somewhere after the senior bowl that said Goff is the only prospect with 0 off field concerns.

The main things I like about him are the mental aspects - brain, vision, pocket awareness. The physical tools are good enough though. They were also saying Wentz had less velocity than Goff despite having a bigger arm.

i like the 0 off field concerns...the physical tools right now are not great enough though...playing in the nfc north in the cold will wear you down...he needs to put on more weight which in my opinion won't be tooooo difficult...should be fun. lots of pizza shakes fries pancakes etc...shoud not be difficult at all..

i like the 0 off field concerns...the physical tools right now are not great enough though...playing in the nfc north in the cold will wear you down...he needs to put on more weight which in my opinion won't be tooooo difficult...should be fun. lots of pizza shakes fries pancakes etc...shoud not be difficult at all..

He needs to add functional and core strength. His arm needs work.

Criticizing Goff has nothing to do with being a Manziel fan.

Manziel is gone, so how can having liked him have any affect on evaluating the potential future QB of the team?

That said, Wentz has a slight edge on Goff for me right now. More arm, more mobility.

... but less head...

Lighten up, Mike... just joking about JM. The winky face was a clue.

Okay... just wondering, Emdig.

Where would you have put rapistbooger ?

oh well, maybe the Browns won't draft their qb at #2 now.

So confusing, more confused because Emdig knows his stuff.

dammit.

EM where do you post your top 5 quarterbacks? Where can we see that?

I'm a little puzzled if you rate Goff as the most NFL ready but not worth a first or second round. Mind you I'm not a Goff #2 pimp

WSS

www.footballgameplan.com/FBGPScouting

Keep checking that link b/c it'll constantly be getting updated. Rankings 16-32 will be out today and rolled into 1 video

www.footballgameplan.com/FBGPScouting

Keep checking that link b/c it'll constantly be getting updated. Rankings 16-32 will be out today and rolled into 1 video

Wow, maybe you should have waited till after the combine and pro days to go out on a limb like that. I think youre forgetting how much size, and especially hand size will determine whether or not these guys make it. Theres a reason the biggest guys are on the top of most boards. For every Wilson theres 50 guys who couldnt translate their games to the NFL. Theres a reasonable chance your top 3 guys dont start 16 games in the NFL combined.

Archived