THE BROWNS BOARD

Confusion at #2

One Post

Someone step up and explain.

When Tenn. had the #1 pick in the draft it was all fine and dandy when everyone assumed it would be Tunsil. After reading posts from some I won't name personally please tell me why ...

1. It was ok for the Browns to take the best player available but Tenn. had to pick for need?

2. Why would you just assume the Browns had their pick of who they wanted because of your thinking of Tunsil going #1?

Now some want to trade down. Explain.

Because now, the QB they wanted could most likely be gone..

The board has been torn between Goff and Wentz. A lot of fans would take either before and now being the Browns don't get the pick of the litter it's changed.

I seriously don't want to sound self absorbed but can't refrain from telling the board how it is.

I said Tunsil wouldn't go #1. Also I said that if RG3 was signed the Browns won't draft a qb in the first round. But no one listened and I feel like the new kid in the movie "Waiting".

I seriously don't want to sound self absorbed but can't refrain from telling the board how it is.

I said Tunsil wouldn't go #1. Also I said that if RG3 was signed the Browns won't draft a qb in the first round. But no one listened and I feel like the new kid in the movie "Waiting".

I mean, it was pretty easy to guess Tunsil wouldn't go #1. That's like saying you guessed Ghoolie would be a dickhat.

As for the a Browns not taking a QB in the first...there I think you're mistakenz

Well, most of us- myself included- said after the RG III fiasco with the Redskins, no NFL GM would be dumb enough to repeat a give up the farm trade to move up and take a Quarterback. Apparently not. ROTFL LMAO. Love the way the media is calling it a "bold" move- heard that one before. Those that don't remember the past are doomed to repeat it. If their choice busts- it will serve Carpetbagger Kroenke right.

Our new FO with this Leverage is my concern. I don't trust Dallas, Jags nor Ravens with Zeke on board. Can you name their RB's? M. Jacks meniscus still not good medically (drop?). 49'ers confuse me still with Kap. Knowing Eagles want to jump but 49'ers could offer us more now. At this point of game I don't mind taking either QB at 2. (I like both even @2) Even if as "not their so called guy" In their opinion they could use "B" QB to move 49'er & Eagles, Bears, Jets into a deal.. (always screw Elway) Draft falls on my birthday & hope we sit @2 with no Surprise's!!

So what does analytics tell us to do? Trade down like NE does to add to overall picks? Take BPA? Take the QB?

And will analytics have a different answer than the new HC if he wants a QB and the process recommends a trade down?

I don't pretend to know what analytics will recommend, but I think it does raise valid points on whether we stick to that process from the getgo or cave at the first potential conflict of interest.

Someone step up and explain.

When Tenn. had the #1 pick in the draft it was all fine and dandy when everyone assumed it would be Tunsil. After reading posts from some I won't name personally please tell me why ...

1. It was ok for the Browns to take the best player available but Tenn. had to pick for need?

2. Why would you just assume the Browns had their pick of who they wanted because of your thinking of Tunsil going #1?

Now some want to trade down. Explain.

One of the things I've always done is jump to a tunnel vision, defend it to the point of no return and remain close minded. This year, I'm trying to stay open to all the different opportunities we have. It's pretty fun I have to admit. On top of that, I can't seem to make up my mind on which QB would be a better choice for us between Goff and Wentz. I also don't think Lynch is as far behind either as popular opinion does.

In the past, when we have been offered more picks for our draft slot - some very poor choices followed. We traded an unparalleled work ethic of Julio Jones for the lazy work ethic of Phil But-never-full-Taylor and whatever additional choices we also screwed up in that swap except for Schwartz. And Farmer sounds like he was the only FO guy unaware of Gilbert's practice habits and bad tackling.

Here's the truth.

There is no qb in this years draft worthy of a high first round pick. How many years can you count that the football talking heads have built up the playing level of a qb and they have turned out to be busts? Plenty. It's not a bad year to have the second pick overall but it's a bad year if you're reaching for a starting qb.

I'll admit the notion of a franchise qb tops everything from a good defense to building up the lines. But this isn't the year. Christian Ponder is a better qb than Wentz or Goff and he sucks.

Here's the truth.

There is no qb in this years draft worthy of a high first round pick. How many years can you count that the football talking heads have built up the playing level of a qb and they have turned out to be busts? Plenty. It's not a bad year to have the second pick overall but it's a bad year if you're reaching for a starting qb.

I'll admit the notion of a franchise qb tops everything from a good defense to building up the lines. But this isn't the year. Christian Ponder is a better qb than Wentz or Goff and he sucks.

If that's the truth, I need me some Jack Nicholson reminding me I can't handle the truth.

Oh wait, you just implied Christy Ponder is better than Wentz and Goff. No Nicholson necessary...

If that's the truth, I need me some Jack Nicholson reminding me I can't handle the truth.

Oh wait, you just implied Christy Ponder is better than Wentz and Goff. No Nicholson necessary...

Ponder is a better NFL qb. Wentz and Goff have yet to take a snap. They are going to get killed.

Oh, I see Wentz as a kid very well worth a high pick.

Yeah, Goff is the best pure passer... but it seems like

he doesn't have a life or something.

Seriously, google these two guys ,,, the difference is amazing.

What rookie qb IS ready to start, except for going to a

team that is already a playoff team or near to it?

Getting a more value-worthy qb later in the first round one hasn't worked diddley

for the Browns - it's the hardest position on the team to fill. And the competition

is on to get one. Outside of starting experience, I'm trying to figure out what

Wentz doesn't have to be another star qb in the NFL.

Ponder is a better NFL qb. Wentz and Goff have yet to take a snap. They are going to get killed.

Aikman got killed as a rookie but it never meant Steve Walsh was a better QB like some silly Dallas fans insinuated at the time right? The key is to understand inevitable growing pains early like Jimmy Johnson did up against all his critics thinking he was out of his mind for preferring Aikman to Steve Walsh.3 SB rings later - how did Jimmy do with that?

Ponder is such a terrific NFL QB- Minnesota chose to upgrade him with the 4th QB selected in the 2014 draft. That doesn't strike me as projecting a better NFL future than the first and/or second QB in the 2016 draft. You've had some good posts since you arrived here but I can't join your logic on this.

Aikman got killed as a rookie but it never meant Steve Walsh was a better QB like some silly Dallas fans insinuated at the time right? The key is to understand inevitable growing pains early like Jimmy Johnson did up against all his critics thinking he was out of his mind for preferring Aikman to Steve Walsh.3 SB rings later - how did Jimmy do with that?

Ponder is such a terrific NFL QB- Minnesota chose to upgrade him with the 4th QB selected in the 2014 draft. That doesn't strike me as projecting a better NFL future than the first and/or second QB in the 2016 draft. You've had some good posts since you arrived here but I can't join your logic on this.

You caught me. I was trying to think of a qb that wasn't playing right now that's better than the two junkyard dogs. Ponder came to mind but a bad choice.

Nevertheless getting RG3 was a true sign of not getting a qb at 2. If we draft a qb at #2 he's going to start and I don't see it with RG3 on the roster.

Hey, I listened.

We're all going a little crazy over this, mainly because we're starving for a winner. It doesn't mean one guy is right or one guy is wrong here...we're all Browns fans wanting this team to turn it around.

The only thing I get bent out of shape about is the "trading down" thing some fans are hung up on. It hasn't worked out for us in the past, and that doesn't mean it will work out or not work out now. I just wouldn't do it. The draft is supposed to be designed to help the weaker teams get better, not to trade away the possibility of getting better that a crappy season gives you.

You caught me. I was trying to think of a qb that wasn't playing right now that's better than the two junkyard dogs. Ponder came to mind but a bad choice.

Nevertheless getting RG3 was a true sign of not getting a qb at 2. If we draft a qb at #2 he's going to start and I don't see it with RG3 on the roster.

You might be right on the RG3 thing; but the lingering question yet to be answered is can RG3 escape injury? He's got 2 brutal injuries in the NFL following 1 brutal injury in college. I'm thinking the RG3 idea, marks a good reason not to race a QB in before he's ready. It wouldn't suck if RG3 gave us a lot more though. If both of the first 2 QBs are seen by our front office and Hue as equitable talent projecting ahead - why not take a pick of the litter at a very important position?

I'm wondering if they don't see Goff and Wentz as equal - how much differently do they view their #2 from their #3 QB? If not much, we could still see a trade-down for more picks. If they see a big drop off from their #1 choice to any of the QBs thereafter, we could see a trade down.

I'm trying not to lose sight of the reality there is a rookie salary cap which could limit our overall draft volume some if we also plan on competing for rookie free agents. That said, it could also open us up to telling a team like Philly - we'll take Wisniewski and your first round pick and a couple other picks. We're not even close to spending enough money up to the recent cba standard so this could help that along some IMO. Philly is just 1 example. Denver can't possibly be planning on Mark Saycheese at QB so there's another team that has vets we can tap via trade plus a a few draft picks. They had a 3rd string edge rusher(Barrett) who we couldn't block last year after Ray got hurt. That would show up here as a massive upgrade to anyone we've been counting on recently.

As I said, earlier on in one of these threads - Dallas seems like a team in despair at QB. Add in Philly's situation and now we have 2 teams from the same division worrying about each other taking their guy potentially. Even better if we're the ones benefitting most of that. It's going to be fun to watch this play out especially if we keep an open mind to it.

Archived