THE BROWNS BOARD

SCOOOOOOOOBYYYYYYY!

wargograw

In other words, they could have a very versatile defense.....and all things considered the Jags could be the version of the Denver Broncos about two years hence. In other words, a force to be reckoned with.

I've mentioned that recently. They weren't great shakes on the D side last year, but they're adding Gipson, Malik Jackson, Ramsey, Jack, Amukamara, and getting Dante Fowler back from injury. Six good to elite starters there.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

run joe run.

who's old enough to remember that on saturday mornings?

Too old... did not "see" many Saturday mornings in my college days.

Jack is an OLB.....isn't he? Pullard an MLB.

Jack has been projected as an ILB, but when healthy will play all over.

The Browns can get their elite qb next year.

Mud-City-Manglers-rocky-and-bullwinkle-8

Im a What's a Matter U Alum!!!....Well hello there!

Back in the day, we used to sit and watch Jack Lambert play at Kent State.

Amazing instincts he had, I guess that's the only way to describe it. He was fast

to the action, realy tough to block, and he nailed tackles like it was too easy.

Scooby has those kind of instincts. Crazy ability to accurately and dynamically react

to all the action going on, and make THE play.

The Browns didn't draft just athletes, they drafted very smart, high character, tough kids who LOVE the game.

Scooby. Check this out -

sigh...guys, these picks need tons of work. Development that i have yet to see out of the Browns organization since....well....i dunno. Certainly not since they came back. Nassib, Ogbah and Wright are major projects. Of the 3 Nassib has imo the most immediately immediately transferable skillset but he's got to get "way" stronger if Horton plans on playing him between guard and tackle. Guys, Watt took a 2 or so years to fully develop and he look at where he was when he came out. Please don't start heaping these unrealistic expectations on these kids. Cause come the end of next year you'll all be likely trashing most of em and who knows, maybe some of these guys do peruse the Boards we don't know. It sucks. I have zero doubt it makes people not want to play in Cleveland...the pressure you guys put on every new player we get is unreal. I'm talking about Browns fans in general now not just the tits that come around this board...but you're all indicative of the same problem.

Let these kids develop as they may, if they don't we hold the FO responsible not the players. Cause players with less talent go to teams like NE and often end up perennial pro bowlers if not some of the best players to ever play their respective positions. Scoob will very likely be a special teamer for a couple years and that's fine as long as he's progressing at learning the ILB'er position. I don't necessarily want him at ILB'er next year for the same reason I wouldn't want a rookie QB in there. I'm very sure though that come about game 3 or 4 when our defense is sucking....per usual....you guys are gonna be screaming to throw the kids in there. And that's gonna do nothing but ruin em. They are NOT ready in any way shape or form to see anything more than spot duty on the field next year. You get out of position on an NFL field too much and you risk serious injury....do any of you want to see that?

if this kid doesn't start week one i'm gonna pay people to write him so much hate mail!! him and his family and everybody this motherfucker knows!

and then we're gonna take shifts honking outside his house for 30 seconds at a time all night long!! we'll show him what it means to play for the Eagles...errr ugh i mean Browns, play for the BROWNS. :-)

Six pages on Scooby.

He now surpasses Joaquin Gonzalez "the Cuban Messiah" as the second-most most hyped 7th rounder in Browns history.

Still a long way to go to catch Madre Hill.

We were a little giddy in 1999.

Zombo

--Reggie Langhorne, Eddie Johnson and Cody Risien were all seventh rounders, hoping Scooby is the next breakthrough

Interesting! Scooby was the Pac 12 Defensive Player of the Year as a Junior and just 2 years later we're landing him just a few spots before Mr Irrelevant? That's my kind of charity especially when we factor in his agenda to prove he can play to all those that disapproved of his talent to do so. I'm guessing Schobert will make a good Shaggy and the Dawg Pound will be full of Scooby snacks.

Here's some guys we drafted after round 7 over the years or didn't have to draft at all:

Brian Sipe - rd 13. How many of those teams accusing him of girl scout arm strength wanted any such reminders of that when he was the 1980 League MVP? Today, I love every damn one of them. Speaking of scouts, rumor had it he was such a good looking kid - he got kicked out of cub scouts for eating too many Brownies.

Earnest Byner - rd 10. Joe Gibbs traded us Mike Oliphant's 40 yard dash for a Superbowl Championship workhorse/Pro Bowl RB. "Your a foul one Mr Grinch!"

Paul Farren - rd 12. Began as a flexible sub, played 4 different positions on our line, settled in at Tackle for some of our playoff teams.

Tony (T-Bone) Jones - Undrafted. So many people to thank for that. This guy was the most underrated Left Tackle in football the last time this franchise won a playoff game. 2 improbabilities shook out that year. Leroy Hoard made the Pro Bowl despite starting only 10 games while Vinny Testaverde went 11-5 and helped us beat the NE Patriots in the post season. After that, Jones to Denver and started at Tackle for a Superbowl Champion.

Thane Gash - rd 7. This kid used to stick people. In 89 he was our leading tackler with 134 tackles on a team that went to the AFC Championship. In 1990, he was our second leading tackler with 134 tackles again.

Felix Wright - Undrafted. Classic example of how much more 1st step instinct means than 40 times to playing fast or getting there first. He led the NFL with 9 INTs in 1989 with 6 of those in his last 8 games. He also added 118 tackles.

Dick Ambrose - Undrafted. Cartoonist Hannah Barbara strikes again as this former LBer was called Bam Bam for how hard hit people and devoured the point of attack. People he tackled wanted to call him a Dick; but knowing he'd tackle them again - it was wise to leave that unsaid.

Orlando Brown - Undrafted. Like a lot of Right Tackles - he wasn't ever going to be most remembered as a pass protector even though the flag in the eye following his take down in pass pro was impossible to forget. What I DO remember about this guy the last year we won a playoff game - he was caving in the edge of playoff caliber defenses from Dallas and Philly for our running game. It was like Metcalf up the middle and Touchdown-Free Tommy Vardell were distant memories as Leroy Hoard purged up to #1 on the depth chart to land our running game in the Pro Bowl. Not bad considering he was found at the NFL version of garage sale playing for cap friendly wages. Unfortunately, the second stint here didn't go nearly as good as the first. In a world where you gotta strike when the iron is hot - the iron always seems hot when a player has something to prove.

I sure miss finding guys with something to prove after all these first round hotshots showed up satisfied with what they put in the rear view mirror.

Give yourself enough options to choose from before you narrow down the roster and you have more chances to find coachable players it seems. I hope this works. On a good note; we have not been known for picking well high in the draft but have been known for finding good talent late in the draft.

There may be no bigger steal of the 2016 NFL draft class than linebacker Philip Wright (a.k.a. "Scooby") the Cleveland Browns’ seventh-round and final pick of this year’s event. Had it not been for an injury-marred 2015 season that limited Wright to just three games played, he would have easily been in the Rounds 1 and 2 conversation; instead, he was projected to be a fifth- or sixth-round pick. That the Browns got him in the seventh does not mean Wright is the biggest long-shot of their rookies to make the 53-man roster.

Wright won numerous awards for his breakout sophomore season in 2014, including being named the Pac-12’s Player of the Year. Of his 270 career collegiate tackles, he racked up 164 of them that season, as well as 31 of his 43.5 tackles for a loss and 15 of his 17 sacks. In 2015, he missed all but three games to a torn meniscus in his left knee and a sprained right foot, but he did return triumphantly in Arizona’s New Mexico Bowl appearance, with 15 of his 23 tackles earned in the game, as well as 3.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks.

A talented run-stopper and pass-rusher, if Wright is healthy and can perform as he did in 2014, he can provide the Browns with two aspects of the defense the team has sorely needed. There are also a few areas in his technique that will also require refining. And the nature of the depth chart at interior linebacker in Cleveland could also limit how often he is used as a rookie. At the very least, though, Wright should find a home as a situational, rotational piece in Cleveland’s defensive front in 2016.

The free agency signing of inside linebacker DeMario Davis to a two-year, $8 million contract that has a $3.2 million cap hit for this season is a sign that he can be penciled in as a starter. Cleveland has also gotten a good amount of production out of 2014 Round 3 pick Christian Kirksey, who was Pro Football Focus’ 33rd-ranked overall linebacker (among both inside and outside backers) in 2015. The Browns also added another interior linebacker in free agency this year in Justin Tuggle. While he has just a $700,000 cap hit and zero dead money, he was clearly sought out by the new regime and at least for now has some role to play in the defense.

That makes Tank Carder the potential odd man out depending on how many interior linebackers the Browns choose to keep on the main roster this year and how they choose to use them. Carder has a $1.1 million cap hit—or the second-highest among their inside linebackers this year—but just $300,000 in dead money if he’s released. Carder saw his most playing time in Week 5 last year, with 42 total snaps, but never saw more than 16 in a game for the remainder of the year. Carder’s upside is as a depth linebacker with plus special-teams skills; if Wright can prove to be even more of an asset in both areas this summer, Carder’s time in Cleveland could be up.

Wright’s ceiling is very high, as evidenced by his performance in 2014. Though his injury history is concerning, and what led to his draft slide all the way to Round 7, if he can return to his previous form the Browns have gotten themselves a player who can make a big impact quickly and eventually turn into a full-time starter. Aside from Carder, the rest of Cleveland’s inside linebackers shouldn’t worry about their job securities by Wright’s presence just yet. In 2017, the case could be quite different. Though typically seventh-round picks have their backs against the walls when it comes to making a 53-man roster, Wright is not the typical seventh-round player.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/story/1668475-scooby-wright-s-impact-on-browns-ilbs?s=171

http://www.azcentral...right/84138548/

How close were the Cardinals to adding former Arizona standout linebacker Scooby Wright to their roster?

Oh so close.

There were 253 picks in the 2016 NFL draft. Wright was No. 250 selected by Cleveland.

Just minutes before the pick, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians was having a conversation with Wright.

MORE: Download our Bickley & Boivin app iOS | Android

“Scooby’s a great blitzer, and I actually had Scooby on the phone, begging him to come with us as a free agent because I think he has something special about him, and the Browns drafted him,” Arians said recently during promotions for the second annual Arians Family Foundation Fundraiser at Steak 44.

When Wright got the call from the Browns, he started crying, ran into the backyard of his father’s Santa Rosa, Calif., home and took a flying leap, over a fence and head-first into a pool.

The Santa Rosa Press-Democrat reported that Wright was “about to call the Arizona Cardinals and tell them he would accept their free agent offer, almost certain he would go undrafted.”

So close.

MORE: Stakes raised for Rodriguez, Graham this season

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though Arizona is my birthplace, the Browns are my home. I'm glad we got Scooby, they got Tyrann a couple years ago, a player I was begging us to get... and we got leon McFadden?

Sorry, I posted this in the 90 thread, should probably be in here.

There may be no bigger steal of the 2016 NFL draft class than linebacker Philip Wright (a.k.a. "Scooby") the Cleveland Browns’ seventh-round and final pick of this year’s event. Had it not been for an injury-marred 2015 season that limited Wright to just three games played, he would have easily been in the Rounds 1 and 2 conversation; instead, he was projected to be a fifth- or sixth-round pick. That the Browns got him in the seventh does not mean Wright is the biggest long-shot of their rookies to make the 53-man roster.

Wright won numerous awards for his breakout sophomore season in 2014, including being named the Pac-12’s Player of the Year. Of his 270 career collegiate tackles, he racked up 164 of them that season, as well as 31 of his 43.5 tackles for a loss and 15 of his 17 sacks. In 2015, he missed all but three games to a torn meniscus in his left knee and a sprained right foot, but he did return triumphantly in Arizona’s New Mexico Bowl appearance, with 15 of his 23 tackles earned in the game, as well as 3.5 tackles for a loss and two sacks.

A talented run-stopper and pass-rusher, if Wright is healthy and can perform as he did in 2014, he can provide the Browns with two aspects of the defense the team has sorely needed. There are also a few areas in his technique that will also require refining. And the nature of the depth chart at interior linebacker in Cleveland could also limit how often he is used as a rookie. At the very least, though, Wright should find a home as a situational, rotational piece in Cleveland’s defensive front in 2016.

The free agency signing of inside linebacker DeMario Davis to a two-year, $8 million contract that has a $3.2 million cap hit for this season is a sign that he can be penciled in as a starter. Cleveland has also gotten a good amount of production out of 2014 Round 3 pick Christian Kirksey, who was Pro Football Focus’ 33rd-ranked overall linebacker (among both inside and outside backers) in 2015. The Browns also added another interior linebacker in free agency this year in Justin Tuggle. While he has just a $700,000 cap hit and zero dead money, he was clearly sought out by the new regime and at least for now has some role to play in the defense.

That makes Tank Carder the potential odd man out depending on how many interior linebackers the Browns choose to keep on the main roster this year and how they choose to use them. Carder has a $1.1 million cap hit—or the second-highest among their inside linebackers this year—but just $300,000 in dead money if he’s released. Carder saw his most playing time in Week 5 last year, with 42 total snaps, but never saw more than 16 in a game for the remainder of the year. Carder’s upside is as a depth linebacker with plus special-teams skills; if Wright can prove to be even more of an asset in both areas this summer, Carder’s time in Cleveland could be up.

Wright’s ceiling is very high, as evidenced by his performance in 2014. Though his injury history is concerning, and what led to his draft slide all the way to Round 7, if he can return to his previous form the Browns have gotten themselves a player who can make a big impact quickly and eventually turn into a full-time starter. Aside from Carder, the rest of Cleveland’s inside linebackers shouldn’t worry about their job securities by Wright’s presence just yet. In 2017, the case could be quite different. Though typically seventh-round picks have their backs against the walls when it comes to making a 53-man roster, Wright is not the typical seventh-round player.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/browns/story/1668475-scooby-wright-s-impact-on-browns-ilbs?s=171

PG,

I agree that Scooby could/will be a great steal where we took him. I like "blue collar" type LBs & there were 3 I wanted....Schobert, Matakevich & Scooby. While I hated losing Matakevich to the Steelers, I'm anxious to watch the 2 we DID get perform.

With all the guys we drafted & signed as UDFAs, this is gonna be very interesting to watch in TC, Pre season & into the regular season.

Mike

I didn't know much about Scooby, but I have to say, I am encouraged! I'm not saying I would bet the farm on him being a stud or anything, but I love his story, and I love how he fought back through serious injury to play in the bowl game, where he promptly blew up. Scooby could give us some much needed flexibility, and I wouldn't bet against this guy. I don't think he'll crack the lineup early, but watch him towards the end of the year when we're out of contention (which could be week 3 btw). I think we'll get to see a lot of our young guys, and the cream will rise to the top.

I also listened to the Browns radio show the other day, and they had the Penn State coach on as a guest. He absolutely couldn't say enough nice things about Nassib, and I loved his point about Nassib "trending the right way." We're not talking about a guy who reached his potential, and then trailed off (ahem...Mingo). Nassib had to work for everything he got, and I believe his 15.5 sacks happened when Nassib MISSED several games for a hamstring injury. That's silly. The coach said other teams would game plan against him, and it wouldn't matter. Nassib was going to get to the QB, and he was going to get there angry. He also said that Nassib is almost 6'7 and 285 while looking "skinny." It wouldn't be an issue for him to gain 10 pounds of muscle and be a nasty 3-4 DE. In fact, I believe our team intends to play him at the "five technique", which is what Desmond Bryant plays (I could be wrong).

We had a ton of picks, and obviously they won't all be good, or even make the final roster. But odds are that we nailed a few of these picks, and I hope they develop quickly. ESPECIALLY the boys that get to the QB.

Im iffy about a 6'7 5 tech. Especially one who isnt well north of 300lbs. I saw this on his college tape, to his credit he would turn his shoulders in to reclaim leverage and hold his own.....but you could often see how much he struggled in the interior to keep his pads down. He made his dinner coming off the edge where he could take more angles. In tne nfl the 34 DE had to be part mauler. He has to often protect the weakside backer so he has to be strong as shit but also be able to move.

I called him a bust. He looks like Nell Carter. His highlight film looked like flag football. This guy will not make the team. He blows.

But ghoolie we got him in the 7th round. If he doesn't make the roster fuck it. It's still not as bad of a fuck up as vincent mayle. The kid has passion and heart. Who cares if he has a step like a drunk grandmother. I'll take him.

I called him a bust. He looks like Nell Carter. His highlight film looked like flag football. This guy will not make the team. He blows.

Straight from the book of Shaggy, "Hey, Hong Kong Fooey - Watch my Fists of Fury". "Zoinks! Scooby's Got this. He's got this. OK he may not got this". From Daphine "Were here to solve a Mystery" on Scoob & Black Fran but take some advise from Velma, VK "You could use a little Sunlight" :P..Let the Camp Begin!!

Can a seventh round pick really be a bust? What are the expectations for any seventh round pick? Especially one a few picks away from being undrafted.

all that think scooby doo is the answer to anything on the browns should hop in the mystery machine with fred and velma and drive off the piers of lake erie looking for ghosts.

herbs.

You are mixing up your metaphors....or at least your characters.

Here is Fred:

657265-fred_flintstone.jpg

This is "Velma":

d02fe1370a717c3c2ab950f1342bdbbc.jpg

Yet felt confident enough to tell someone else they were wrong? Strange.

Well when he said Fred and Velma I thought he just mistyped Fred and Wilma, the more famous duo.

I guess I wasn't cognizant that one cartoon would so closely mimic another in the names of their characters. Was the Fred/Velma an homage to Fred/Wilma?

Well when he said Fred and Velma I thought he just mistyped Fred and Wilma, the more famous duo.

I guess I wasn't cognizant that one cartoon would so closely mimic another in the names of their characters. Was the Fred/Velma an homage to Fred/Wilma?

No because Fred and Daphne were more the lead couple. Shaggie was the slacker hippie and Wilma was the nerdy smart girl. Scooby was the Middle Linebacker.

scooby+cast.jpg

Except for Shaggy and Scooby I didn't know any of these character names. I was a child of the 60s, not the 70s or 80s.

Don't ask me any shit about like The Brady Bunch, or Saved by the Bell...I wasn't paying attention to stuff that appealed to kids. I figured I was an adult, I could watch adult programming rather than kid stuff. Not until the 90s when I had my own kids did I pay attention....and my kids weren't watching Scooby Doo.

I saw some Rugrats, and Barney, SpongeBob, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Blues Clues, some Ren and Stempy, Wishbone, plus movies.

Archived