THE BROWNS BOARD

This is exactly why catholic hospitals shouldn't get a dime of taxpayer money...

Once again we get into the weeds :)

I think Cleve's original point that should a hospital that refuses to provide legal services be allowed to be tax exempt. Personally I don't have any issue with them refusing the service but think that should forfeit their tax exempt status.

OK, fair enough. But remember there's a precedent that was recently set- religious organizations don't have to pay for birth control pills or devices if they object on moral grounds. I suppose the same logic applies to surgeries a hospital has objections to. LOL, fat chance you could ever get a sex change operation at a Catholic Hospital. You can't even get invitro fertilization at one- though I don't really understand that logic.

Yeah but as is evidenced, the woman has to be moments from death for the hospital to say oh ok fine we'll save you. Some of these women had conditions that mandated an immediate abortion, every moment gone by was risking her life. But hey they gave her some Tylenol....

Please- it's NOT moments from death, and from my OR experience they sure as shit wouldn't have given her just Tylenol. That's just a ridiculous assumption. It would be massive blood transfusions and IV support. If they thought the fetus was viable they would do an emergency C-section, and if not- mom's life would be paramount.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Most people will abort a healthy fetus to avoid the inconvenience"

and

"Most abortions are of healthy fetuses to avoid the inconvenience"

are two different statements.

Well before I'm forced to resort to the usual rhetoric why don't you explain the difference in detail?

WSS

Well before I'm forced to resort to the usual rhetoric why don't you explain the difference in detail?

WSS

The first statement pulls from the overall population. The second pulls from the population of people that have had abortions.

Woody shoots woody scores.....

No not really. First of all it's assumed we are talking about people who have abortions and even if we were not since the majority of people think abortion should be legal for any reason except in the last trimester in which case it would only be legal in cases of rape incest or life of the mother.

WSS

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1576/abortion.aspx

And this doesn't necessarily break down the reason this but it's obvious that close to 80% of Americans believe abortion should be legal therefore since almost all of the ones that are performed today are for convenience, well you get the idea.

The statements aren't exactly the same but they mean basically the same thing in my opinion.

WSS

So I guess children with downs syndrome, mental Retardation, a cleft palate, etc. should be aborted. Fuck em. Its too much trouble on my life to take care of them. Let them fucking die.

I applaud for your folks for taking care of you. I might have said 'fuck it' myself.

What would you assume would be the reason for the million-plus abortions every year? Just a guess.

WSS

Because it's nigh impossible to afford raising children anymore let alone in questionable environments.

I think about the species first and foremost - religious implications second. There are certain people that should not pro-create.

I'd commend them if they sterizled themselves.

Well, you're the guy that admitted you don't care how statistics works. I'm not surprised you don't realize those two statements I posted mean two different things. They're both laying out two different hypotheses to test.

No assumptions need to be made if your posts mean what you want them to mean.

Finally, without looking at your Gallop data, it doesn't support your original statement. That poll is asking if it should be legal, not if you would do it. You can think a woman has a right to choose without ever wanting to choose an abortion yourself.

I think weed should be legal, but I have no plans to smoke it.

Get it?

Because it's nigh impossible to afford raising children anymore let alone in questionable environments.

I think about the species first and foremost - religious implications second. There are certain people that should not pro-create.

I'd commend them if they sterizled themselves.

I guess, but that's kind of permanent. I don't begrudge anyone the right to have children if they can take care of them.

But it still convenience.

WSS

Well, you're the guy that admitted you don't care how statistics works. I'm not surprised you don't realize those two statements I posted mean two different things. They're both laying out two different hypotheses to test.

No assumptions need to be made if your posts mean what you want them to mean.

Finally, without looking at your Gallop data, it doesn't support your original statement. That poll is asking if it should be legal, not if you would do it. You can think a woman has a right to choose without ever wanting to choose an abortion yourself.

I think weed should be legal, but I have no plans to smoke it.

Get it?

Of course not caring about statistics came from Chris mistakenly attacking me for something. Hence the joke he didn't get which is rare for him, though not so rare for you.

But that aside if you actually believe that support for abortion is not convenience based then there's no point discussing it.

And I think both those statements address the issue in a very similar if not exact way. And again if you don't believe that I don't care.

WSS

Again, your original statement was not referencing how many abortions were convenience based.

Words matter. What you think you wrote and what you actually wrote are two different things. You may not appreciate statistics, but you're a liberal arts major, you should appreciate the written word.

Again, your original statement was not referencing how many abortions were convenience based.

Words matter. What you think you wrote and what you actually wrote are two different things. You may not appreciate statistics, but you're a liberal arts major, you should appreciate the written word.

Where we appreciate the meaning of implied. Like I said if those statements don't allow you to understand what was meant just say so.

WSS

I guess, but that's kind of permanent. I don't begrudge anyone the right to have children if they can take care of them.

But it still convenience.

WSS

I'd be willing to wager if abortions are performed out of 'inconvienence'- most of the time it would also be inconvienent on the tax payer.

Simply put, until I see a lack of bitching about single mom's needing food stamps, then I'll be willing to hear arguments more consistent in belief.

I'd be willing to wager if abortions are performed out of 'inconvienence'- most of the time it would also be inconvienent on the tax payer.

Simply put, until I see a lack of bitching about single mom's needing food stamps, then I'll be willing to hear arguments more consistent in belief.

I don't know where you stand on the issue but most people here purposely misconstrue the subject.

Young people (or anybody really) who have children out of wedlock do not, in my opinion, carry them to term because abortion is unavailable or illegal.

In most cases it's simply biological human and animal nature to reproduce. No matter what kind of high-minded and lofty excuses anybody wants to make.

I would wager if there were mobile abortion units that would come to your home and do them for free the number of illegitimate births wouldn't be reduced significantly.

Those that have abortions performed just don't want to go through the bother of raising a child or the 9 months gestation period, the expense or the delivery.

WSS

Those that have abortions performed just don't want to go through the bother of raising a child or the 9 months gestation period, the expense or the delivery.

WSS

do you see how some people who are on the border financially, see the insistent abuse people on welfare take....and think to themselves having this child may make me fall through the social net and maybe that help won't be there. So they opt to have an abortion so they don't lose their job and they can have a child later when they are in a better position. Does that make at least some sense to you? Not everyone is thrilled they have to have an abortion. I get really sick of one side painting the other as hungry baby killers that begrudge every pregnant woman walking down the street for not having had that thing taken care of.

do you see how some people who are on the border financially, see the insistent abuse people on welfare take....and think to themselves having this child may make me fall through the social net and maybe that help won't be there. So they opt to have an abortion so they don't lose their job and they can have a child later when they are in a better position. Does that make at least some sense to you? Not everyone is thrilled they have to have an abortion. I get really sick of one side painting the other as hungry baby killers that begrudge every pregnant woman walking down the street for not having had that thing taken care of.

I understand all of that. All perfectly good reasons to not have children. Still your financial situation boils down to convenience.

So have the abortion by all means. Just be adult enough to admit that it's birth control. Whether you're thrilled about it or not doesn't matter. Most people I would guess aren't thrilled to get up and go to work everyday.

And again it's more fun to have sex that it is to take precautions. Here's an analogy. You're out drinking and have to drive home. Odds are (thousands of people drive while impaired each and every day and very few of them have accidents or get arrested) you will not have a problem, so you take that risk.

If you do get caught, it will probably just be a matter of inconvenience. You will have to pay a big fine and won't be allowed to drive for a certain amount of time.

But in the end your life will be a bigger pain in the ass for a while. Like raising a kid or pay child support.

Look I'm not calling for a ban on abortion, just trying to get some of you guys to admit that it's not a noble endeavor but a somewhat distasteful method of avoiding consequences.

WSS

Archived