THE BROWNS BOARD

Game 1 -Good, bad & ugly

Mudfly

The problem I had with Kessler wasnt the first safety....it was the second......how often do you allow 2 safeties in a game, let alone in the same quarter.....????....has it ever happened???....that is some very very bad play....on the QB, coach AND o-line

So....Kessler really kind of sucked in that respect....awareness.....should have thrown it away.....

And some very questionable play calls(Hue).....why put Kessler in that position?.....(twice)....

Rookie QB with a 3rd string line shouldnt be throwing out of the end zone....just run the damn ball or have a plan to dump it fast.....or.... take 2 safeties in 5 minutes.....ugh

Mud,

Kessler is a rookie & this was our 1st exhibition game. This early in a career, I would tend to look at what a player DID do, not what they failed to do. As far as play calls go, keep in mind this IS exhibition season & it is possible play calls were made to create situations the Coaching staff wanted to see.

It's far too early to judge players, good or bad.

I'm waiting to see what 53 the real experts decide to keep.

photo-thumb-413.jpg?_r=1463347857

Mike

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm waiting to see what 53 the real experts decide to keep.

photo-thumb-413.jpg?_r=1463347857

Mike

That's the finish line I really want to see.(don't think they are all in our camp either?) Do you feel Jamie Meder is ahead of Shelton at NT or does Meder move to DE? Your sign cannot be your answer B)

That's the finish line I really want to see.(don't think they are all in our camp either?) Do you feel Jamie Meder is ahead of Shelton at NT or does Meder move to DE? Your sign cannot be your answer B)

Honestly, I neither like to speculate about who is ahead of who at this point nor do I have the knowledge to do so. What I saw last week was Meder making plays & hope he continues to do so.

Mike

Interesting question Gumby! I'm not a big fan of putting less agile DT/NT types out at the 5 technique because I remember guys like Taylor and Rubin becoming liabilities out there. Inside, their territory is much smaller to cover where the outside part of 2 gap for a 5 technique can extend as far as the sideline. That means long arms, good agility, good quickness, decent foot speed may be required. Cooper has all that to be tapped; and I think once he gets enough experience we'll see this. It also looked like both the rookies (Nassib and Ogbah) were lining up in 5 techniques (offset to the inside shoulder of the OT on many occasions).

Interesting question Gumby! I'm not a big fan of putting less agile DT/NT types out at the 5 technique because I remember guys like Taylor and Rubin becoming liabilities out there. Inside, their territory is much smaller to cover where the outside part of 2 gap for a 5 technique can extend as far as the sideline. That means long arms, good agility, good quickness, decent foot speed may be required. Cooper has all that to be tapped; and I think once he gets enough experience we'll see this. It also looked like both the rookies (Nassib and Ogbah) were lining up in 5 techniques (offset to the inside shoulder of the OT on many occasions).

I kind of said the same thing, and everything I have seen from Meder has come from the NT position...I THINK. I could be wrong, and possibly Meder made some plays from DE, but I don't think he did. At this point I believe we are reeling from Desmond's injury, and we're just trying to tinker around and find something that works for us. Xavier Cooper definitely has the physical ability to play the 5 technique, but I have yet to hear a whole lot of great news about his play. Now to be fair, we've had one freaking preseason game and a couple weeks of camp, but I wish I could hear SOMETHING about Cooper that was positive. John Hughes, Danny Shelton, and Jamie Meder is definitely beefy, but is it athletic enough? I will be watching the DL for sure!

I think this guy is just Ghoolie after both maturity and sobriety. At best he's a high-class troll.

I wouldn't put too much stock in this game. It's a rather meaningless preseason game in the grand scheme of things. Hard to get a handle on any team after their first preseason game.

So why post, then? You can't get a handle on any team after game1.. but you still felt compelled to vomit words about how much you don't know?

Nonsense like "If you don't know what to say, just be arrogant" is what passes for wisdom in your household?

Leave the analysis to people who actually know what they're talking about. You know, like the people I pointedly asked to reply - and a few others like Mud.

Think about it guys.

Often this sentence is followed by something called "content." Next time, come up with a concept before making a post - then, we'll actually have something worth thinking about.

Ok....gonna play off my post from last game, as I see some of the same names popping up.....listen, you guys that know me know Im usually very optimistic and try to always see the silver lining....BUT, I also try not to wear rose colored glasses and would rather just say it like I see it......and this years team is really looking rough......AND PLEASE, do not tell me one more time it's just "preseason".....it actually EVALUATION SEASON.....next week is the final "dress rehearsal"....and if the dress rehearsal sucks, then usually, the ensuing show sucks.......so, preseason or not, I can only judge what I see and I see the Browns playing poorly and a lot of "better" teams playing well......and rather than judging the team, Im judging player performances......so, here;s what I saw last week compared to what I saw this week(and "improvement" wasn't one of the things I saw).......

Ok....got our first look......nothing earth shattering......but my first impressions on some players Ive been waiting to see....

The Good....

* Ogbah looked good, fast and strong. Led the team in tackles and flashed some serious speed for a man his size. I LOVE guys who can finish a tackle.

Not as good this week. Invisible.

* Nassib had a few nice plays too. Showed he could get to the QB and has some fire. Like.

How can you not like this guy. He should be fun to watch. Needs work in a LOT of areas, but looks like he's our best(only?) chance to get the QB

* Raheem Moore looked good at the safety spot. Seemed to have his nose near the ball(a lot)

Looks like a solid pick up...

* RGIII showed promise too. Looked better than I expected he would, actually. QB room seems to be the best we've had in quite a while. Fingers crossed.

A good game from RGIII, which warms my heart. Hope he continues to improve AND stays healthy.....fingers still crossed

* Pryor opened with a nice diving catch, after running right past his defender. Another one that continues to surprise. He might actually make it as a WR.

Alrighty then. Pryor is looking dangerous and should be a great asset when on the field with JG and Cooper or Hawkins.....

* Dominique Alexander(one of my dark horses) played well too. Im betting he makes the team.

Hey...this guy came to play. Another strong game and now leading the entire team in stop....

* Gilbert started and had zero negative highlights. Looked pretty decent, actually.

Wow....what a difference a week makes....missed 3 tackles and got dragged on a fourth....covering well......but that tackling?.....YUCK

Im moving Crow up to the good(Watson too)....both ran for positive yardage and looked good......Watson is a load to bring down

The Bad.....

* O-line looked like I worried it would. QB's gotta get the ball out quick, cause they will be under pressure all year long. OL no longer a strong point for this team.

This will be a problem all season long....just sit back and pray....thank god RGIII can run, cause he's gonna be chased around all year long....and that snap?.....NEVER have I seen something like that(or 2 safeties in a quarter either)....Browns are breaking all the rules

* Schobert looked slow and kind of lost. Well give him a rookie pass, but......eh

Invisible this week.....not....one ......stop.....

* Crow & Duke....one touch each?

* Jamar Taylor seemed to have a lot of reps for a guy who kept getting burned. Miamis version of Gilbert who looks like he still doesnt get it.

Looked better than Gilbert this week....Gilbert looked better last week......inconsistency personified....

And look.....everything about the D looked bad(and ugly).....OLB's are non existent.....MLB's are average, at best......DL is swiss cheese....Shelton is not making a difference and, based upon last season AND this preseason so far, Meder should start ahead of him....Cooper?....eh.....bottom line..giving up 200+ yards rushing and 20 of 39 third downs says it all....

The ugly....

* Mostert dropping his fourth consecutive punt. Blech! Hope they have a plan B, because dude is killing us with the drops

* Kesslers pocket awarenesss. Blech again. (along with the line that was protecting him)(double blech)

* Kruger(of course) still cant make a play(or tackle)(or rush)(or cover). Someone, PLEASE, put this guy out to pasture.

Kruger...hahaha.....ANOTHER game with out a tackle, yet everyone wants to cut Gilbert today.....do you schmucks realize that Gilbert has more tackles than Kruger(;ast season too and he barely played).....do you realize that GARY BARNIDGE has more tackles than Kruger???......do you realize that 40 Browns have more tackles than Kruger....40!! ....and Kruger is the ONLY player on Defense that has yet to record a tackle????......Jim Oneill is laughing at you all today. Talent wins and you will find that Ray Horton is just as incapable of getting shit from a rock as Oneill was. Have fdun blaming the coaches for this years debacle.

You know, I PRAY the Browns keep Kruger so I can pound away allllllllllllllllllllllllllllll year and establish that TALENT(not coaching) is what this team has needed all along.......will be counting how many time Horty has him make his lame attempts to cover....pass rush....and tackle.....hahahahaha......this defense and KRUGER are seriously bad.....

^unfortunately, agree on all points mud.

depth at OL is non existent. guess that's what having 12 picks every year get's you.............zilch. squadoosh. nada.

biggest point you made: talent. maybe 3 or 4 positional starters and one or two rooks who might have the desire. that's it. end of story.

No, it wsa the coaching, too. Poor drafts, and young players who never developed into starters

until they went to other teams. Young players who rarely ever got to play, even in preseason.

This is the first year - of course the weaknesses haven't been completely resolved 100 percent.

But you go to a practice, and the Browns are all in, having fun playing, energetic, and

really after it. That right there should be good for a fun season of football. At least they

will be all on the same page as far as wanting to win. We'll see how it goes.

young players who never developed into starters until they went to other teams. Young players who rarely ever got to play, even in preseason.

We'll see how it goes.

Who are these people we let go, that then developed into starters?.....(good starters, that is)....who rarely got to play in preseason?......examples please......

Cause the only one I can think of is Gilbert(not playing). Hue has him at #1, Pettine had him on the bench. And I berated Pettine for not putting him out there, but now think he was quite right.......now that we see him playing with the ones, EVERYONE is screaming to cut him....soooooo, go figure........

We will see how it goes.....and who's willing to say it like it is and who's making excuses.....we shall see.....very soon.....

Mud, in your opinion do you think Mingo makes the 53 man roster this year?

Yes.....unless they pluck someone off the waiver wire, cause who's gonna be the guy if he's not here?.....There are plenty of situations where we will need a cover LB and no one on the roster can do that......that is Mingos one saving grace, is that he fast and agile and can cover(not great)(but better than the others).......

Ill add that Dansby was strong in coverage too, but Thomas is(supposed to be) a run stuffer.....so, in respect to the passing game, cutting Dansby was a big mistake.....last year, he led the whole team in INT's with 3 (more than ANY DB) and he was fourth on the team in scoring.....with 2 TDs.....

Dansby scored more points than most of our running backs and wide receivers combined.....

... I also try not to wear rose colored glasses and would rather just say it like I see it...

It is a curse isn't it? Life would be so much simpler... *sigh*

A 3-4... hybrid or otherwise... without impact LBs is just a 3-0. In the first half this week the only downhill LB vs. the run I saw was Tank... but then he can't cover.

It is a curse isn't it? Life would be so much simpler... *sigh*

A 3-4... hybrid or otherwise... without impact LBs is just a 3-0. In the first half this week the only downhill LB vs. the run I saw was Tank... but then he can't cover.

Watch the second half....cause the one shining light Ive seen 2 weeks in a row is Dominique Alexander.....a UDFA who knows how to pick a lane and make a tackle.....fingers crossed that he's not one of those players who plays GREAT in preseason, only to get cut.......

Archived