THE BROWNS BOARD

Josh Gordon entering rehab

LondonBrown

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon & Ant.Bryant both were not on 53 man roster being suspended? Still short 1 roster spot of 53 for Reiter? Right?

Correct, Gordo & Bryant did not count against the 53 man.

Since Reiter was brought over from another team's PS, he had to be placed on the 53 man roster.

More like the MUP list - Mentally Unable to Perform.

That's for sure, given opportunities that 99.999%+ of the general population never can dream of yet throw it away with both hands.

The NFL has programs and mentors some just don't or can't follow along. Best of luck to him in his next chosen profession.....unless he gets yet another shot at professional football.

The indefinite suspension list is hilarious.....fucking hilarious. He and johnny can drink up now

Mark, on this we can agree. It ain't funny. Throw Justin Blackmon in the mix. Bet the ranch the dumbass failed another drug test. Haha PG? I'm betting Gordon got the Death Penalty this time. Or do you really think Old Rodger is gonna believe Josh as far as he could throw him next year when the possibility of reinstatement comes up? Hell's Bells, it all got explained to Gordon plain as mud back in April when he got the conditional reinstatement- and he couldn't live up to the terms.

Josh Gordon was going to be reinstated this week. He checked into rehab to avoid a setback. There have been no reports he failed anymore tests. This is a precautionary measure only. When Gordon gets out he'll be fully reinstated.

That's not what DawgPound Daily, Bleacher Report and CBS Sports reported. They all reported he failed a test and is suspended indefinitely. He's got time to rehab now. I hope he makes it. But his football career is in suspended animation.

Josh Gordon was going to be reinstated this week. He checked into rehab to avoid a setback. There have been no reports he failed anymore tests. This is a precautionary measure only. When Gordon gets out he'll be fully reinstated.

Sorry Po, he has been indefinitely suspended again.

It's over.

Z

Sorry Po, he has been indefinitely suspended again.

It's over.

Z

And that's why long time AA/NA members call addiction "baffling". Millions of $$$ down the drain with zero understanding on the part of the person under it's spell. I suspect those here who have ever been caught in it's web of self deception have a better understanding of it than all the rest of us combined. Logic and intent have nothing to do with conquering it. Step #1 "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol/drugs—that our lives had become unmanageable."

Neither Josh nor JM have been able to take that first step. Very sad for all involved, Browns organization and fans included along with friends and family.

Ironic that both fall back in it deeply just as they are being handed the keys to drive the O.

Look, Josh knew the rules. Everything was completely spelled out to him many times, and there were no gray areas. He allegedly did not play by those rules, and here we are (again).

THAT BEING SAID, if a guy loses his effing career for alcohol, it's a tragedy. Again, I'm not making excuses for a guy who broke the rules in place, no matter how crazy I think they are to begin with. It gets further complicated when it comes to addiction. If Josh is truly an addict, it becomes an illness. I know many people don't believe that, but it's irrelevant. Addiction is classified as an illness. From everything we've heard (and seen), Josh was doing everything he was supposed to when it came to football. If the reports are correct, and the guy DID have a relapse with alcohol, he is effectively being punished for being sick. When it comes to addiction, an overwhelmingly HUGE amount of people relapse a few times before figuring out how to best deal with their issue. I've heard stories of people with 20 years of sobriety losing focus and using again. The obvious goal to recovery is not to use, but it's also to figure out ways to create a life without the drugs/alcohol. That's harder than many people think. It's not about relapsing, it's about HOW LONG the person takes to get back to their recovery. In other words, if you slip up, don't STAY getting drunk/high, get back to recovery strategies.

Was Josh hurting himself or others? Was he getting violent? Driving while drunk? Failing to report to meetings? On the practice field hungover? Josh knew the rules and he broke them, but if he's an addict, I don't know ANY OF THEM that could have made it in that environment. An environment where one slip up costs you your life and career? Haven't met an addict yet that could've made it, and I work with them.

Fuck him. He's an ex Brown and all he ever did was cause heartache here. Liars, drunks, trouble makers and gimps are about the only things I've seen come out of Texas. I wouldn't hire them to clean the wet spots out of the sheets.

Better not say that around Coleman and Drago. Or one of the best you ever had, Metcalf.

Except that we're not just talking about one "slip up".

Gordon was suspended at Baylor 2010 because it was his second "slip up".

He was kicked off the team in 2011 because of his third "slip up".

After transferring to Utah, he never made it on the field because of another "slip up".

Since 2013, after too many "slip ups" for me to count, he has shown zero inclination

to ever returning to the field for the Browns in any meaningful capacity.

Why do we keep making excuses for this guy?

Correct, Gordo & Bryant did not count against the 53 man.

Since Reiter was brought over from another team's PS, he had to be placed on the 53 man roster.

Yes, he had to be placed on the 53 man roster....but I assume that if he is placed on IR for the year that the Browns can still replace him. Right? I don't think the league rules say that if you take a player off another teams practice squad that if he goes on IR that that team must now only play with 52 on the active roster.

That seems to be what you are implying.

And you're other fan boy Trent Richardson is going to be a HOF running back and you're other fan boy Johnny Manziel is still going to "wreck this league". Give it up man....you're embarassing yourself. The guy had trouble in college and has been mostly nothing but trouble in the NFL. The dude has some serious demons he needs to get worked out. But as for playing in the NFL...that's a pipe dream at this point.

Football teams roll the dice on players with problems in college.

Counting on them to snap out of it isn't a good bet. A player who loves

the game, doesn't do that crap. A player with character and a strong work ethic

doesn't do that crap.

Tired of teams drafting crap just because they are very, very athletic. Irresponsible

behavior has consequences - he did it to himself long before he got to the NFL and got

rich.

Gone like yesterday. Time to move on. Just another "too bad".

PoG, just stop. It's over. He's done....... You swung and missed on Trent, Johnny and Josh and continuing to post about their 'greatness' makes your Derek Carr prognostication look like dumb luck.

Just take Carr and run with it..........

That's not what DawgPound Daily, Bleacher Report and CBS Sports reported. They all reported he failed a test and is suspended indefinitely. He's got time to rehab now. I hope he makes it. But his football career is in suspended animation.

Yup- he doesn't magically get to come back after rehab. It's probably for the rest of the season, depending on the circumstances. Should King Roger deign to conditionally reinstate him next year, the Browns will most likely unload him for a six pack of Busch (pun intended) to the first taker to get him off their hands. Losta luck Josh on staying clean. Such an incredible waste of talent.

As Hue said "we're moving on." Seems the Browns and 95%+ of the fans have had enough of wasted potential that can't get on the field.

Some of you guys needs a serious reality check on what addiction does to you as a person. I'm not condoning, excusing or anything else for the decisions he's made. The thing is though, you guys are thinking rationally in so many of your comments.

WHY would he give up millions of dollars?!

WHY would he waste so much talent?!

WHY would he wait until so late to get help?!

etc, etc...

The point is, those are rational things to say and things that are indeed frustrating, even impossible to work around. However, it's not as though someone like Gordon doesn't understand this at a basic level. It's that, for true addicts, that irrational process completely controls their decision making. It's something myself and most everyone here can't (literally) wrap their head around. Actions have consequences, and for him the big consequence is that he likely will never play football again. But Jesus, it's not as though addiction is something someone simply chooses to do-it's a real illness.

I was afraid of these 4 weeks of separation.

Football teams roll the dice on players with problems in college.

Counting on them to snap out of it isn't a good bet. A player who loves the game, doesn't do that crap. A player with character and a strong work ethic

doesn't do that crap.

What "crap" is that, cal? Be Human?

Some of you guys needs a serious reality check on what addiction does to you as a person. I'm not condoning, excusing or anything else for the decisions he's made. The thing is though, you guys are thinking rationally in so many of your comments.

WHY would he give up millions of dollars?!

WHY would he waste so much talent?!

WHY would he wait until so late to get help?!

etc, etc...

The point is, those are rational things to say and things that are indeed frustrating, even impossible to work around. However, it's not as though someone like Gordon doesn't understand this at a basic level. It's that, for true addicts, that irrational process completely controls their decision making. It's something myself and most everyone here can't (literally) wrap their head around. Actions have consequences, and for him the big consequence is that he likely will never play football again. But Jesus, it's not as though addiction is something someone simply chooses to do-it's a real illness.

Gordon's announcement rang true to my ear. Paternity suit... warrants... etc... Stress sends folks back to all sorts of "crutches"... nicotine for me. No telling what it was for Josh.

Also no telling if he merely reached for or actually succumbed to his crutch in this instance.

His continued suspension status costs us nothing. Pending any new developments, I hope we keep him.

OK, so, the Browns do have an opening they need to fill.....why haven't they done that yet? Looking for the right guy, I guess?

Yup- digging through the weeds to find someone who may be a decent o-line isn't easy at this point of the season.

Keep him on the roster, if it doesn't cost us anything, then fuck it, whatever.

But Gordon has unequivocally demonstrated that the Browns cannot

count on him to contribute on the field.

As Hue said, stop wasting time talking about him. Let's move on.

Yup- digging through the weed to find someone who may be a decent o-line isn't easy at this point of the season.

Mike Matthews was working out for the Redskins...but I am not aware that they signed him. He is a center. Did they see enough of him to know they didn't want him?

Can he be so bad that even the Browns with their OL woes would pass on him?

I take it that whomever they sign will be very young?

Or are they just waiting for Erving to get healthy?

Mike Matthews was working out for the Redskins...but I am not aware that they signed him. He is a center. Did they see enough of him to know they didn't want him?

Can he be so bad that even the Browns with their OL woes would pass on him?

I take it that whomever they sign will be very young?

Or are they just waiting for Erving to get healthy?

We could resign Matthews to the practice squad Gip. The reason he got cut is he needs to put on bulk and gain upper body strength. Elite nose tackles will destroy him.

It's not looking good for Erving right now. He's shown little improvement over last year. & he was getting pancaked on a regular basis then.

What "crap" is that, cal? Be Human? Tour

I'm human. we all are. how many of us forfeit an NFL career for booze and illegal drugs?

You are saying all humans do booze and dope and get addicted? We know a great gal who has little terrific daughters,

and the ex boozed himself into a DUI, out of his marriage, into more trouble, including meth after the divorce, lost his job...

paid no attention to the family later, still in rehab now. The Mom and daughters are humsn too, Tour.

I can understand one crash out of addiction, but continued crashes? that's out of serious bad choices out of selfishness,

imho. Those who didn't get help the first time made a terrible choice.

Archived