THE BROWNS BOARD

Who takes the fall?

CaineDeSoulis

so, baconpound, you just mentioned four players, but before you bitched about there being no talent on the field.

Shirley, you don't think that there are only four players who are on the roster.

You just blab ,and not in a smart way. The Brown are on the right track. They will be much further

down the line next year.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so, baconpound, you just mentioned four players, but before you bitched about there being no talent on the field.

Shirley, you don't think that there are only four players who are on the roster.

You just blab ,and not in a smart way. The Brown are on the right track. They will be much further

down the line next year.

Surely, you misinterpreted bacon's sentiment. Start naming the Browns who would be starting for the Steelers. Four sounds about right.

Surely you can't be serious about the Browns heading in the right direction- and my name's not Shirley. Only kidding Cal. But I HAD to pull that one out.

The only objective evidence of heading in the right direction is we have a ton of cap room, and a lot of draft picks. As to being on the right track, there is no objective proof that's the case. Get back to me when we have 3 ROY candidates next year, and the Browns don't look like the Harlem Globetrotters Washington Generals of the NFL. That's objective proof.

but that isn't what he said. Look at Gabriel. He's playing great for another team.

Being on the right path doesn't mean they have all star talent. It means they

have the right coach, ...coaches, and their criteria for drafting players is finally

freaking intelligent.

It isn't about how many players are cheapshot steriod sombeitches who fit over at three rivers

scum stadium/

It's about developing talent we have, continuing to build a solid locker room, and adding excellent talent that

is an excellent fit. So the proof is subjective - I see a team that plays kickass football right to the last play.

I see a team that even in training camp, which I got to see in person.... that training camp - the pace, the attitude,

the comradrie.. was outstanding and I've never seen it before. You go hiking on a trail, you pick up some excellent stream

water, treat it, have plenty of food, and bear spray, and you are clearly on the trail...

You are on the right path to getting to your destination. All the dimwitted, shallow asswholish draft picks that failed..

look at em. Junkin, Gilbert, jm, Courtney Brown, Richardson, Josh Gordon...on and on and on and on. Athletic talent does no good

when the awesome physical talent is guided by a selfish and weakminded brain. if you don't love football, don't have a

terrific work ethic, don't play rough in a rough game, don't have the mental attributes... I would never draft a player like that.

I don't care how freaking awesome and "superstarish" Richardson was, I argued the entire draft to not draft jm. He wasn't

a fit. The gilbert pick surprised me, and that ended up a dismal disaster.

Josh Cribbs talked about it before. Some guys were prima donnas, got away with it, didn't care, didn't put in the work,

didn't care about winning..... it deflates a football team. The squealers draft cheapshot, tough, talented, dirty players

often. They make mistakes, but they are consistent in their picks. Dirty cheapshot players like Troy Pollyfullapupu showed

they were violent, really stupid cheapshot players in college. But yeah, that fits how the squealers build their dirty lockerroom.

The Browns drafted geat physical talent many, many times. So often, that some of their terrific picks give up and go

to another team where the drafters aren't failing year after year. Picking correctly once in a while doesn't cut it. "On the right path" doesn't mean you are 3/4 of the way there, dangit.

I've read posts over the the last three years telling me how awesome Jordan Cameron, Gary Barnidge, Terrell Pryor & Duke Johnson are or will be. I could go back and repost them but that's a waste of my time and you're around here enough to have viewed the threads. There are a few that are super excited about Coleman or Kessler, sorry, but I really don't see anything to get excited about any of these players.

So, you agree with what I wrote that we've sucked at the draft since 1999. As for Cameron and Barnidge, we only drafted 1 of them (Cameron) mid-late. Both made the Pro Bowl so I'd have to say there's some degree of pleasant surprise with both choices when healthy or with halfway decent QBing provided. This year, Barnidge is surrounded by 1st year starters at WR counting either a first year QB or broken veterans. Cameron got a big contract elsewhere; but remains injury prone. Doesn't mean he lacked talent.

Early on, Kessler looked to be somewhat of a pleasant surprise so people found a silver lining to post about. I think we gotta go back about 6-7 weeks to find the last one though.

Nobody is asking you or expecting you to be excited especially when we're not. That's why your careful wording of "many are celebrating" is way below your usual standard in here. I can assure you there isn't 1 fan sick of losing in here. Last year at this time, the evaluations of Shelton were completely different than this year so let's try to understand this could also be possible with guys we drafted this year.

In 2007, we went 10-6 with Derek Anderson as our QB. After Charlie Frye couldn't get out of his own way in the opener, Anderson's first 9 or 10 starts paved the way for 29 TD passes and a Pro Bowl alternate. People posted their excitement and the powerful first impressions kept many doing so even after the early midnight in that Cinderella story. Keep in mind this is a career backup type of guy everywhere but Cleveland.

I bring this up because the year we traded up to draft a Kellen Winslow that missed 2 of his first 3 seasons, we could have traded back or stayed put to select Ben Roethlisberger (who played college ball right in Ohio for our scouts to see as easily as possible). That bigger ceiling than DA could have made that 2007 season something more significant than missing the playoffs with 10 wins. More recently, we had opportunities to draft the following help the Raiders are enjoying this year: Khalil Mack, Amari Cooper and Derek Carr. We say we want game changers as if they weren't on our door step in 2014 and 2015 but they were... It's amazing how much easier direction(s) can get when you don't start off with a few wrong turns.

As far as accurately evaluating first year starters at WR (or any receiving positions) in this dumpster fire with our QBs; there's a major variable missing in the assessment. The chances of finding an Antonio Brown with our passers is close to zero as we contemplate how a Taylor Gabriel that only scored 1 TD in 2 seasons here has about 6 TDs with Matt Ryan throwing him the ball. This often includes Julio Jones on the other side of formation attracting enough attention to ease all other matchups. When he had a halfway decent QB in Hoyer, he had the 2nd highest yards per catch on the team with 17.3 behind Benjamin's 17.4. Last year's QBing, decreased Gabriel to only 8.6 yards per catch. I'm guessing the QBing we had in training camp and preseason games didn't do him any favors either. That's probably why there weren't very many fans posting how could we let Gabriel go back when it happened. Pryor is getting very frustrated when RG3 remains an area code away from getting the ball to him.

Its was a rhetorical question guys....I already knew the answer...

Glad you didnt.....not interested in hearing it...

Here's why.....

When I post, I stick to voicing my opinion.....and avoid going after other posters,calling them dumb or their opinions dumb.....why?.....cause thats what mature discussion is about...

On the other hand....when you post....you focus on putting others opinions downs, calling them stupid, telling them what to think, to shut up, to stop saying what they feel, etc.....

When you learn to respect we all have differing opinions and can post w/o taking swipes at everybody, I might develop a tad of respect for you and your thoughts....but, right now, thats not in the cards....

I am one of the nicest guys here. Seriously. Though I enjoy it, this is one of the rudest boards I've ever been on (and I've been on several). Why are you singling me out? And I guess you don't realize that you go after other posters just as hard as I do, you just veil it in sarcasm. That is a theme in a ton of your posts including the one I was responding to.

• 2 weeks later...

Think we will? No idea... but I've always thought we needed an OC.

Old school exec? No... can't see one that would "play well" with existing FO... an FO whose structure I believe in. The way I look at it we've churned through multiple execs with "player knowledge" since '99... been there... done that.

We now have a structure where scouts who show good judgement plus the ability to work with and persuade others can grow and rise in prominence. Those who don't can be culled and replaced. All quietly without fanfare leaving us ultimately with a "deep bench".

Archived