THE BROWNS BOARD

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

Clevfan4life

So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

There's things that Bosa does better than Garrett and things Garrett does better. If Horton were still here and we were running that fucking 3-4, and both of em were coming out...i'd say Garett's a better 3-4 olb'er prospect forgetting what Bosa did in SD this past year. If Bosa was comign out this year I'd want him as I think he was a more complete 43 DE than Garrett was. Better fit in Williams scheme imo.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.

Health remains Clowney's big question... hope to see him and a healthy JJ opposite each other in 2017.

They might be as good a duo as my Garrett - Thomas one... ;)

So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) ;) guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.

Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

I always felt he needed some work with some more pass rush moves. He is very strong, quick, and had great bend; so I felt he should have been able to manufacture a few more sacks utilizing more than just a bull rush or getting the outside edge on the tackle. But I think that is something that can be improved. Also A&M has had a really bad run defense (horrendous his sophomore year) so you lose the ability to tee off when you rarely get 3rd and longs, 3rd and long could still be a run, and teams are running at a higher percentage than usual to focus on the opponent's weakness. The interior line didn't get much push either which allowed the oline to focus more on Garrett and the QBs were able to step up in the pocket to avoid him. So I wouldn't get too carried away with the production. Yeah he was very productive against weaker competition and not as much against the SEC but I always felt it was circumstantial as the SEC teams were able to run at will and the non-sec teams could be forced into passing.

Not saying he couldn't have done better at times, but sometimes defensive players can be taken out of games to no fault of their own. The kid is athletic as hell and it shows on the field. He has bull rushed sec double teams into their QBs and gets off the snap so quick at times you think he is offsides until you watch the replay.

Excellent take BL. Not too many dummie DC's in the SEC West and they ALL schemed for him. The injury made it easier. And I am going to wager right now that he draws far more holding calls than he did in the SEC which is notorious for letting OLs get away with it regularly. I lost track of how many times he got tackled by the neck as he got around and by the edge with flags being rarely thrown.

I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.

Great read Aggies! Very good point about 1 player doesn't make a Defense. Look no further than Bosa. San Diego was still ranked 29th in points against; and they were the only team Cleveland beat (even though Bosa played well).

I think Gregg Williams will be ideal coach for Garrett.

1 thing a lot of people are forgetting is that our most talented defensive lineman (Des Bryant) returns with fresh legs after a full year off.

Adding Collins improved our LBer Corps in 2016..

This draft looks loaded at Safety which matches another big need we can improve this team by addressing.

Great read Aggies! Very good point about 1 player doesn't make a Defense. Look no further than Bosa. San Diego was still ranked 29th in points against; and they were the only team Cleveland beat (even though Bosa played well).

One of the first things I did when SD drafted Bosa was to see if we played SD, to my obvious chagrin we did. I just knew he was going to haunt us in someway. I just thank the ever loving god he didn't go to a team in the North. I would have found some way to blame all of you for the Browns letting that happen. lols

Bosa is mroe physical than Garrett. The LT from Alabama shut his shit down like BOOM. Bosa is more of an in your face, fighter in addition to being an edge guy.

Garret is not worth #1 or #12. This guy is going to be average.

The only Ohio State guys our FOs have drafted since the 90s are Craig Powell in round 1 and Brian Robiskie in round 2. 2 guys that almost started. While BB hit a grand slam with Eric Turner in round 1 - I think his swing and misses on guys like Touchdown-Free Tommy Vardell, Craig Powell and Derrick Alexander (who couldn't catch crabs from Miley Cyrus) trained him well to prioritize trading out of round 1 for some bulky volumes in round 2.

In fact, the GM TN hired from NE learned this art from BB and he stockpiled 3 second round picks in his very first draft here in Nashville in 2016. Not bad when you can land a guy like Derrick Henry as your 3rd and final pick of round 2.

The Bosa thing is done - why waste so much time on that? San Diego still sucked Ghoolie. It was the ONLY team this franchise beat in spite of a terrific outing from Bosa. They ranked 29th in points allowed. It'll be interesting to see how long Bosa maintains the level he played at because in his final year at Ohio State dropped all the way down to 5.5 sacks (which is more pedestrian the Buckeye fans want it to be). Just like 2016, it took him about a month into the regular season to get himself going while critics want to attack Garrett today.

I'm going to go watch this beatdown you keep bringing up vrs Bama. I have always heard it was a great trench war from sides but you're making it sound like it the type of contest Michael Spinks gave Mike Tyson.

i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.

Eh....he actually had a decent season(first in 3 years)......but he's nowhere near the monster "once in a lifetime" talent he was built up to be....heck Ogbah had the same #'s Clowney did and most consider him to have had an "ok" rookie season.....

To me, Clownboy looks more like the oft injured, on again off again, minimal effort player I expected he would be.....

Health remains Clowney's big question...

Health......and effort / love of the game......dont think he has either.....

Counting college (6 years of ball)....I think he has played 1 complete season....and has only had 1 "big" season, which was 5 years ago(btw).....

OK-just Garrett against Bama 2016 two weeks out from the high ankle sprain and did not play SC the week before. One legged man has most plays go away from him as any smart OC would gameplan.

The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.

^ Man, I did not like what I saw there at all. I get the ankle thing, but dude looked like he was magnetically connected to his o-lineman after the snap..... Mingo came to my mind after the 5th play.

Yikes.

The one thing I take from this video is against NFL tackles Garrett will get shut down just like Mingo did.

Nothing like Mingo...

When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....

And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...

Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....

^ Man, I did not like what I saw there at all. I get the ankle thing, but dude looked like he was magnetically connected to his o-lineman after the snap..... Mingo came to my mind after the 5th play.

Yikes.

Ever played an "quick" sport with a high ankle sprain? In racquetball it feels like one leg is constantly "nailed" to the floor ever time you try to accelerate. I can't imagine how it feels when someone is also intentionally trying to get in your way leaning their weight on you while grabbing you too.

Ever played an "quick" sport with a high ankle sprain? In racquetball it feels like one leg is constantly "nailed" to the floor ever time you try accelerate. I can't imagine how it feels when someone is also intentionally trying to get in your way.

Hopefully you're right Ag..... Jack Youngblood once played in a SB on a broken leg, while simultaneously bitch slapping Chuck Norris.

Nothing like Mingo...

When every. single. play is directed away from Garrett....an indication that HE has shut down the ENTIRE left side of Bama's offense.......w/o even making a play....

And, if you actually watched.....you'd see the few times they went his way.....he wasnt "shut down"...

Gotta be able to see what his talent does....even if he's not always the one making the play....

Would a top tier QB not audible away from him in most situations? I saw him on the backside of the plays that went his way. I don't doubt he will be good, but I get the sense that people think he will come here and get 10 sacks a game when realistically he might end up with 5-10 for the season.

10 sacks a game.....who does that?

5-10 for his rookie season would be ideal....A+

And, if the O redirects the other way(a best case, cuz that means he's good)....Ogbahs numbers should increase too....

And if Ogbahs numbers go up.....say 10-12 sacks for him......and 8-10 sacks for MG......thats 20ish for just those 2 guys....which is what our whole team had last year....Id take that

Exactly my point Mud, one player on D is not going to make a difference in winning us games. It is why we must get a QB in here at 1. I don't expect any of these QB to be ready to play anytime soon which leads me to start BO he's big enough to take the abuse until the line gels and the rookie is ready.

I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

Sacks: Total / Leader

• 2016: 26 / Ogbah 6.0
  • 2015: 29 / A. Bryant 5.5
  • 2014: 30 / Kruger 11.0
  • 2013: 49 / Sheard 5.5
  • 2012: 37 / Sheard 7.0
  • 2011: 39 / Sheard 8.5
  • 2010: 29 / Benard 7.5
  • 2009: 40 / Wimbley 6.5
  • 2008: 17 / Rogers 4.5
  • 2007: 28 / Wimbley 5.0
  • 2006: 28 / Wimbley 11... need I go on?

It's be nice to see a double digit leader again. It's be nice to average 3+ per game again as a team...

#Front2backInsideout...

If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years.....

That can be said for ANYONE we pick(and has been a thousand times or so).....plain and simple...

That is why you pick the best prospect.....who has the highest odds of succeeding.....and,right now, is Garrett

Archived