THE BROWNS BOARD

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

Clevfan4life

Of course.....thats what this whole predraft evaluation thing is about.....varying opinions....no one player will ever have a 100% rating from everyone....

But...every once in a while, there is a consensus......and, Id say, this year it's leaning that way......say 90% have him as 1....

and 10% still debating that ???? is #1 instead...

So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.

So.....since you're debating......Who is your #1 rated player???

I'll be honest Mud, I don't have one. I don't have the time, or the willingness to research these guys to give an educated opinion..... The video that Ag posted in this thread are the first snaps that I've seen of Garrett, so I guess that says enough about my 'research'.

I'll say this about my draft thoughts, whoever gets the Stanford kid (regardless of where he's picked - 1, 10, 71st, don't F'n care), is going to get a great football player, and one that is going to immediately help their team win games...... Don't care what the stop watch said, don't care how big his hands are, don't care how long his femurs are, dude is an outstanding football player and will succeed at the highest level.

Sometimes people can't see the forest through the trees.

For me if I had to take chances, I would select the QB at 1 and take the chance that allen falls to 12. I believe the plan all along has been to get the #1 pick so we could choose the best available QB. I think the Garrett pick is the smoke screen to see if someone will mortgage the farm to come up to #1.

Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

Hopefully his ankle was the reason, and maybe dude shouldn't even have been playing, but strapped it on for his teammates in a big game... I'll take that all day vs someone like Clowney. Just expected to see Superman with the way everyone gushed about his performance in a tank top and shorts vs stop watches and little orange cones.

If he turns out to be Mingo or even Courtney Brown, it'll set us back for years..... although there's only one loss between where we are today and a winless season, so 'set us back' is not a really huge fall I suppose.

He didn't jump out after 20 plays? Well that depends on what you were looking for. 90% of the plays were to the other side of the field. What you saw was a very good football team's game-plan revolve around avoiding a very good player. Sure you can go and cherry-pick some games where those players you mentioned in college dominated (you can do the same thing with Garrett), but the thing about college is that the teams aren't as complete and so you can run a vast majority of your plays away from one particular player and get away with it. In the NFL you can't do that, you have to run at JJ, Von and Mack at times, or drop back in the pocket several times a game in obvious passing situations. The Bama tape was them running to one side of the field or up the middle 90% of the time. The few times they did pass it were either roll-outs to the opposite side of the field or really quick passes. There were a few plays where they ran to Garrett side, but then again the defensive ends responsibility is to set the edge and force the rb to go inside, and that happened in that tape a lot. It just so happened there was no one there so it looked like MG should have just beat the tackle to get to the rb but again that typically isn't what the DE is suppose to do in that situation because if he does that and misses the rb, then there is no help to the outside and its a big play. This is why you do hear that he disappears in games, but at the same time he is pretty much a unanimous number 1 selection because its pretty obvious what the teams offensive game plan revolves around. He does dissapear in games but its not because he isn't being effective, just the opposing team was able to craft a game-plan to avoid him and due to other weaknesses on the defense they were able to do it successfully.

I guess I am disappointed that he didn't 'jump out' at me after 20+ plays. Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Derrick Thomas, JJ Watt, ect.. would all stand out on tape after 20+ plays, and do so in the NFL and I just expected the future #1 pick to do the same in a college game.

Got 5 minutes? Not earth-shattering, but solid, responsible play with some sizzle and pursuit... including a caused fumble... against a 9-4, Dak-led MSU.

I'll say this about my draft thoughts, whoever gets the Stanford kid (regardless of where he's picked - 1, 10, 71st, don't F'n care), is going to get a great football player, and one that is going to immediately help their team win games....

Who says we can't get both? I did... ;)

Why do you suppose a 10 year vet (Joe Thomas) assigned to protect the blind side of QB disagrees with you? What doesn't he know about taking a college QB (many from spread offenses this year) and treating them to the culture shock of our situation? How many different weeks did the guy who started at QB survive the start? Joe Thomas knows the sequel here.

Why not make this an easier place to play QB if that's where the draft sets up strongest? Where we run into trouble is drafting guys that don't belong in round 1 and thinking our coaches can just Dr Frankenstein these Rent-A-Wrecks up into football messiahs in lieu of them becoming victims' names on a t-shirt.

How many times do we have to watch Old Yeller get killed to understand he gets killed? If I see us overrate 1 more Brady Quinn or Brandon Weeden where they don't belong up in round 1, I'm gonna cry like I'm back in my terrible 2's. Too late...

If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

If you want to quote JT, then state the fact just two days ago he said Trubisky would be his choice.

I have zero evidence he's changed this strong opinion below so I look forward to reading what you needed to take out of context.

Joe Thomas doesn't want Browns to take a quarterback No. 1 in the 2017 NFL Draft

His reasoning behind it makes sense.

by Harry Lyles Jr.@harrylylesjr Jan 26, 2017, 5:51pm EST

usa_today_9735724.0.jpg Scott R. Galvin-USA TODAY Sports

After having six different guys play quarterback at some point during the 2016 season, the Cleveland Browns are still searching for a franchise player at the position. The Browns have the No. 1 and 12 picks in the 2017 NFL Draft, and it wouldn’t be unreasonable to expect them to draft a quarterback.

Browns offensive tackle and 10-time Pro Bowler Joe Thomas was on The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday, and said that the team shouldn’t pick a quarterback No. 1 overall.

“I would say you want to go defense,” Thomas said. “I think you need to get a pass rusher.”

“You’ve gotta be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don’t help your team at all,” Thomas said.

He added that you can still find a place for a defensive player to fit in on the team and the Browns need a player who can contribute immediately. Thomas should know: He’s one of a few first-round picks by the Browns in the past decade that has actually gone well for them.

Since Thomas has been with the Browns, they have drafted Brady Quinn, Colt McCoy, Brandon Weeden, Johnny Manziel, and Cody Kessler. Among them, Kessler is the only player still in Cleveland, with the others having relatively short careers with the team.

Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson has been a widely discussed option for the No. 1 overall pick. A talent like Watson might be too good to pass up, and the Browns have made it clear they’re interested in him.

But there are certainly good defensive options like Myles Garrett, who Patrick mentioned. SB Nation’s Dan Kadar currently projects the Browns to draft the Texas A&M defensive end, and if they indeed do take Garrett, then at least Cleveland could get a new taco joint out of it.

No matter who they select, the Browns will hope they turn out better than their more recent first-round picks, like Justin Gilbert, Manziel, Phil Taylor, Trent Richardson, and Weeden.

Alex Mack was a good selection, but he’s protecting Matt Ryan in Houston next Sunday for the Falcons. The Browns will hope to hang on to whoever they select in the first round this time around.

Next Up In NFL

Except that is not what he said... he took pains to clarify the ESPN report you are citing.

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/845311553515782145?s=09

Except that is not what he said... he took pains to clarify the ESPN report you are citing.

https://twitter.com/joethomas73/status/845311553515782145?s=09

Thanks Tour! I figured he took the Trubisky comment out of context more than Joe Thomas having a complete about-face from the strong opinion he had about not wanting a QB in round 1.

I think you can't pass up Garrett...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13941681/myles-garrett-texas-aggies-new-johnny-football-just-less-johnny-more-football

Except, if I thought Trubisky is the guy to take the team into the playoffs, be a star...

it would be awesome to hear the Browns' staff discuss this draft.... lol

I never said joe said to take him, I listened to his interview and he said Trubisky had to most upside of all the qb to be able to run a pro style O

I never said joe said to take him, I listened to his interview and he said Trubisky had to most upside of all the qb to be able to run a pro style O

giphy.gif

There's 2 different people with a cut and paste of exactly what you said so I'll cut and paste that a 3rd time for you here:

There's 2 different people with a cut and paste of exactly what you said so I'll cut and paste that a 3rd time for you here:

yeah his choice at qb now you all sound like a bunch of 13 yr old girls hanging on every word your hartthrob says.

I think you can't pass up Garrett...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13941681/myles-garrett-texas-aggies-new-johnny-football-just-less-johnny-more-football

Except, if I thought Trubisky is the guy to take the team into the playoffs, be a star...

it would be awesome to hear the Browns' staff discuss this draft.... lol

I'm of the belief that Trubisky is that guy that will develop into that QB we see on sportscenter every Sunday night. I cringe at the thought it could be the steelers if we pass on him. The Steelers do have to find a QB just as bad as we do. Only their plan is to sustain.

yeah his choice at qb now you all sound like a bunch of 13 yr old girls hanging on every word your hartthrob says.

Blind Side Tackle is a QB's Lancelot especially if he makes 10 consecutive Pro Bowls...

You do realize we agree with Joe Thomas about Trubisky up against other QBs in this draft so why are you looking for a cat fight in the dawg pound? Try to understand what you're arguing about a little better and that should take care of all your meows and hypersensitivities...

Blind Side Tackle is a QB's Lancelot especially if he makes 10 consecutive Pro Bowls...

You do realize we agree with Joe about Trubisky up against other QBs in this draft so why are you looking for a cat fight in the dawg pound? Try to understand what you're arguing about a little better and that should take care of all your meows and hypersensitivities...

gotcha I think we are all confused about what we are all typing about. Thoughts don't translate well on keyboards.

Got 5 minutes? Not earth-shattering, but solid, responsible play with some sizzle and pursuit... including a caused fumble... against a 9-4, Dak-led MSU.

A couple of nice plays with the FF being the best, but we'll have to agree to disagree on his motor, as I saw several plays that he took off..... Maybe he had an injury?

It's like when someone talks up the best movie in history, and I anxiously settle in to watch it and then fidget for 2hrs wondering WTF I'm watching. He looks, dare I say, ordinary to me based on the admittedly limited action I've seen him in.

Then again, I got laughed at back in the day when I publicly said that I thought UCLA's Anthony Barr was a better pick at 1 than Clowney, and would end up the better pro.

gotcha I think we are all confused about what we are all typing about. Thoughts don't translate well on keyboards.

No worries. That's when we bust each other's chops in fun.

Trubisky has a lot of intriguing goodies. There's a reason a lot of people like him best of all the QBs.

I think my favorite 4 go like this:

Trubisky

Watson

Mahomes

Webb

If Chad Kelly wasn't such a knucklehead - I'd have him in there somewhere in spite of the knee injury he has to overcome.

No worries. That's when we bust each other's chops in fun.

Trubisky has a lot of intriguing goodies. There's a reason a lot of people like him best of all the QBs.

I think my favorite 4 go like this:

Trubisky

Watson

Mahomes

Webb

If Chad Kelly wasn't such a knucklehead - I'd have him in there somewhere in spite of the knee injury he has to overcome.

I have to admit if I didn't know Trubisky from the time he was 6yrs old I would be all for Watson based on his overall production and what he did against Bama the last 2 years. Watching Trubisky grow up, myself and the Mentor sports community knew this kid would be special. The homer in me says we need to do whatever it takes to get him. I would love to take Garrett then move back up to get Trubisky because I don't think he will make it to 12.

Bosa is mroe physical than Garrett. The LT from Alabama shut his shit down like BOOM. Bosa is more of an in your face, fighter in addition to being an edge guy.

Garret is not worth #1 or #12. This guy is going to be average.

U know im a bosa homer si i dont say this lightly, u are correct that bosa was a more physical edge player but garett wasnt bad either. That LT from alabama had his hands full that game from garett. I fully stated garett has some work to do which is why i want nassib and ogbah doing the heavy lifting to start the season. I def dont want garett in there in short yardage situations where he might get hurt. But you have to acknowledge that when he develops a more solid base and keeps those arms extended, the kids limit is earths low orbit.

It'll be interesting to see how long Bosa maintains the level he played at because in his final year at Ohio State dropped all the way down to 5.5 sacks (which is more pedestrian the Buckeye fans want it to be). Jun.

C'mon, he was triple teamed that final year...u saw that. Heres a guy who had a monster season and won a nat champ, then the next year he gets routinely double and triple teamed in a year he's being talked about as the #1 pick....which he essentially was after the first two qb desperate teams reached. Then he misses TC and the first 4 games if the season and still almost triples the browns sack leader in 4 fewer games.

Ofc it can happen, but barring some injury or personal problem how can u question that kid going forward? Especially with his work ethic. People wanna question that cause he took his final year off in the midst if constant double and triple teams, with 10's of millions of dollars at stake. But its bullshit his offseason work ethic was well reknowned at osu

The Steelers do have to find a QB just as bad as we do. Only their plan is to sustain.

I want to let that marinate a while...

A couple of nice plays with the FF being the best, but we'll have to agree to disagree on his motor, as I saw several plays that he took off....

Then again, I got laughed at back in the day when I publicly said that I thought UCLA's Anthony Barr was a better pick at 1 than Clowney, and would end up the better pro.

I'll give you that... I did not see Barr being a s good as he's been... but then I was watching Khalil... ;)

Players take plays off when they are on field every down. I remember one play away where hustle might have made a difference. I remember 4 where he did and it did plus a couple more where he did and it didn't.

Who do we take @ #12? Nice article on possibilities assuming Garrett is #1. Comments?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/cleveland_browns_no_12_overall.html

Not a QB so I can hang ten on the tears that will surely flow on the Browns Board haha.

Nah, I would like to see another defensive player. There is some good talent to be had in the first on defense this year and I hope the Browns take full advantage of it. A trade down wouldn't be bad either.

I'm starting to think we shouldn't draft a QB in the first round unless we trade back into the 20's from pick 33. If our coaches and front office are truly blown away by one of the rookies, I guess that's different, but if we're not really in absolute LOVE with a rookie, I don't want to see us take one just because we "have to". Not only that, but there are some big time defensive studs in this draft, so it actually wouldn't surprise me if we traded up from 12 into the top 7 so we could grab one of the top safeties (a giant position of need). Would our Titans 2nd rounder be enough to move from 12 to say....6? (Jets' pick). I'm not sure, as I don't have the draft chart in front of me. But seeing as we need a safety so badly, AND there are two VERY regarded safety prospects....I'd be cool with it. If we came away from round 1 with the best overall player prospect, AND the best overall safety...I'd have to think that would be a tremendous success.

On the downside, it doesn't address our perpetual QB debacle. Would Jimmy Haslam truly have the patience to let our team ride another year without a QB answer? I hope so because that might be the best course of action.

I read that next year's QB class might be stronger...and some think "MUCH stronger". Would it be THAT awful to wait another year for QB? Can Kessler, or perhaps Osweiler, win more than 1 game? I think they could, especially with an improved defense, more effective DC, stronger OL, and slightly easier schedule.

Archived