THE BROWNS BOARD

Hue Jackson: Browns won't trade No. 1 overall pick

Tour2ma

Or at least the ones who played QB in the NFL. I googled up the oldest. Age 44 seems the max when you exclude the kicker Blanda since he really only kicked the last 5-6 years. Deberg was 44 when he retired. The others have ages listed at the end of each summary.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/sports/7-oldest-nfl-quarterbacks-of-all-time.html/?a=viewall

They didn't put Brett Favre on that list. Didn't he play until he was like 42 or more?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And dude just that video of him in his civvies, thise are rifle shots. C'mon dude...in his street clothes....the gun is still there. That delivery jesus christ. Theres 20 yr olds in thebleague that cant rope it like that

I think you've been watching Cleveland QBs way too long if you think he still has it. LOL! :lol:

Regarding your o-line, you probably heard Joe Thomas isn't going anywhere. From our POV it would be great if he finishes his HOF career in Cleveland.

yeah, I see him staying in Cleveland until he retires. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see him get traded at the end of his prime if Cleveland isn't competitive, to help the Browns get prospects, give him a chance at a superbowl and obviously help the other team. I see our fans bring his name up on message boards in a trade scenario all the time, but fans come up unrealistic trades all the time because the other teams would never go for them.

Back on Romo... still expect Elway to make a UFA play for him. You hand him the job and so long as he is able he starts. Can't see a better way to increase the odds of a SB for a franchise that is still in "win now" mode.

If Tony does get hurt, then what do you have? Apparently a great mentor in the QB room for two inexperienced kids, Siemian and Lynch. I think Tony proved he could be all of that last season in Dallas.

Bottom line: The odds of Romo's 16+ game "survival" may be long, but there's no downside beyond that to sign him... and no better alternative.

Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

Some of our fans are really opposed to it because they feel that it could hinder our development with the qb's, kind of how they feel about how the Manning situation played out. I disagree, we had BO in the wings and I am not sure if we don't have a similar thing right now. I think we would try to trade one of the 2 younger guys to get a little more help as there really aren't enough reps for 3 qbs. One of the younger guys wouldn't get the development he needs. I am with you though, I think the only shot we have at a SB is with Romo (that feels so wrong saying that).

You have no shot at a SB with Romo....that is why it feels so wrong.

I can see fans thinking that way... My take was it was not Manning's playing that hurt BO, it was the insertion of a clearly, still hurting Manning to complete the SB run. All's well that ends well sounds good, but clearly was not a sentiment BO shared.

But now? Now you swap one year's development of two suspect, QB prospects for a SB shot in a heartbeat.

Siemian is a nice QB. He has the look of a quality backup, who will make a run or two more at starting for a team in his career.

Lynch? Did not like him coming out of college... still don't.

To be fair to manning his wall wasbthat neck injury. You guys seen farve throwing lately? He could easily still make every throw that rodgers makes, just couldnt play in clev he'd get killed

How can people's timelines be so far off? The neck injury was 2011 I believe. He broke records in 2013. 2014 he hit the wall.

Earlier... he had his first surgery in 2010 to relieve pinched nerve pain... and then 3 or 4 more after that. It was not until his last, the one that sat him in 2012 that a fusion numbed his arm and fingers. The arm came back... the fingers never did.

What I forget tho is that he sent 4 seasons playing for Denver. Seemed like less...

Man DeBerg was a though SoB..... That rod sticking out of his finger is etched into my memory to always remind me of what tough is whenever I start being a puss.

Testaverde played a long time as well.

Steve Young, Doug Williams and Vinny Testaverde learned that NFL life after Tampa Bay meant they were far better QBs when their chances of success exceeded a snow ball's chance in Hell. Moral of the story, sometimes you have to make your franchise an easier place to play QB - especially if you want to protect your investment so that it can develop into what you need it to be. Dan Marino got drafted by a team 1 or 2 years after it made the Superbowl just like Ben Rapen got drafted by a franchise that dragged Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox to many playoff dead ends. Talent was there for the success to be possible.

We ALL want to have an elite QB so let's hope this offseason finally makes this an easier place to play QB for whatever one we add next. It looks like we've improved our Center position and added a very good RG. Britt was once a 1st round WR talent (coming off his best year) despite Pryor leaving the ONLY NFL staff/front office that gave him a chance to play WR when he was unemployed by all 32 teams.

I'm with you Flugs. Let's hope our ANALysts in the F.O. have studied the way Seattle did it. Build the D and an OL you could drop a QB and a quality RB into without asking them to produce the moon.

I'm with you Flugs. Let's hope our ANALysts in the F.O. have studied the way Seattle did it. Build the D and an OL you could drop a QB and a quality RB into without asking them to produce the moon.

The funny thing is Seattle never really built an O-line. This really showed in 2016 without Marshawn Lynch. We signed their super-sub McQuiston (who started about 10 games for their SB Champion team) and he was an absolute train wreck here. We signed another starter they had RT Alvin Bailey who came here with a shoulder injury keeping him out of the lineup. When cleared to play, he looked about as helpless as O'Neil Cousins used to.

Defensively, I loved what Seattle did. They found their elite Safety Earl Thomas in Round 1 (just like we once found Eric Turner and Don Rodgers there) and realized very good corners like Richard Sherman can be found as late as round 5. Seattle's SS Cam Chancellor was also a 5th round pick. The key with Seattle was Pete Carroll's defensive background had them knowing what they were specifically looking for in the secondary and the pass rush to fit their scheme and philosophy.

When I read some people that can't wait to tell us Joe Haden sucks - it's almost as if they never really understood a pass rush is a secondary's best friend. I'm reading from many scouts and well paid draft analysts that Myles Garrett can be this best friend to our secondary.

Yep-Several of us on here have been saying to watch how much better the secondary will get as we truly build a front 7 that pressures the QB into far less time to make decisions or go through progressions. As I watched Ogbah progress as the season went on I was thinking how great it will be for him if he has a stud coming off the opposite end. I have high hopes for this D which I hope they allow the DC to draft for this year. Give him the reigns and get out of the way FO.

The funny thing is Seattle never really built an O-line.

Might need a little ginko-beloba(?) there, Flugs...

Wilson's rookie year SEA had two all-pros anchoring their line... Okung at LT and Unger at C. Rest were not of their quality, but serviceable types... McQuistan, who was pretty good at the time, and Giacommi on the right side, and a couple LGs due to injuries to John Moffit IIRC.

So they had a good line... they did not maintain it, primarily due to cap squeezing on the D-side, but they had a good OL in front of Wilson initially.

Might need a little ginko-beloba(?) there, Flugs...

Wilson's rookie year SEA had two all-pros anchoring their line... Okung at LT and Unger at C. Rest were not of their quality, but serviceable types... McQuistan, who was pretty good at the time, and Giacommi on the right side, and a couple LGs due to injuries to John Moffit IIRC.

So they had a good line... they did not maintain it, primarily due to cap squeezing on the D-side, but they had a good OL in front of Wilson initially.

Good points Tour.

Sloppy on my part. Seattle intended to build a good line with guys like Okung and Unger in very important spots; but Okung always had trouble staying healthy. For example, he missed his first 6 games to injury in 2010; went on IR for his last 4 games in 2011; made the Pro Bowl in 2012; only played 8 games in 2013; and missed a couple more to injury in 2014. They even liked what they saw in Alvin Bailey before he got injured and Moffitt had injuries as well like you said; so injuries intervened with their plan.

As we've seen, you can have an elite LT, good RT and a Pro Bowl Center and still go 3-13 when/if you don't have other areas of the team up to snuff. Prior to losing Bitonio and Greco to foot injuries in 2016, there was about 4 game span where Crow was averaging about 6.4 yards per carry. Not horrible considering the reliability of our passing game.

Yup... depth element as well. Two years running we've been bit... Mack in '15 and Bito-Greco in '16. Lookin' like we have a shot of enduring one injury inside in '17. Outside? Tad shaky there...

Apparently sometimes there just aren't enough fat-asses to go around.

Archived