THE BROWNS BOARD

DeShaun Watson

SD_Tom

I have no idea why so many people were down on him prior to the draft. "noodle arm, weak velocity, accuracy sucks...etc"

Don't you wish the Browns had taken him when they had the chance? He's already better than any QB the Browns have had in decades. He's the only QB actually ready to be an NFL starter this season and it shows. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Let’s see how he does when the game film adds up before anointing him as the second coming of Montana

Yup... he was "the most NFL ready". Far cry from being the best. Played great today, however... no denying it.

As far as self-congratulatory posts... a lot more credible if they are made before a potential breakout game.

We'll forever be linked to multiple QBs we passed over, fair or not. Right now, we're such a crap show that I'm having difficulty writing this without cursing up a storm. I absolutely hate our team. Hate watching our lack of talent, our head scratching plays, our incredible awfulness. 

For several I don't think it was his lack of arm.   

For myself it was the offense he played in college and just not seeing some of the mental aspects check marked that I like seeing.  I.E - I feel he still needs to refine his progressions.  

Oh and rule #1 on drafting a QB,  if your first words about him are "playmaker"  "leader" "winner" "gunslinger"  "it factor" "football player"   then you shouldn't be drafting said QB that high.  

He's looked good since he became starter. They were close to beating the Patriots last week. He's simply a leader and a winner. 

19 minutes ago, Hempman said:

Tell me when Watson plays a defense. The only 2 he actually went up against easily handled him. It is like Carson Wentz. Being a game manager against losing teams is one thing. Winning against the best, is another.

Winning is the name of the game.....and Watson is now 2 outta 4......while we have drafted or brought in 3 rookie QB's in 2 consecutive drafts and none of them has won a single game yet.....not one win......Kizer/Kessler/Hogan....

11 minutes ago, Mudfly said:

Winning is the name of the game.....and Watson is now 2 outta 4......while we have drafted or brought in 3 rookie QB's in 2 consecutive drafts and none of them has won a single game yet.....not one win......Kizer/Kessler/Hogan....

He didn't start the season.  He came in after savage went down I think. His lone loss as starter was to NE on another Brady comeback I think.    In college,  almost seemed that he found a way to win big games while Kizer found a way to lose them.  

Regardless... It's sad when your entire qb roster on an NFL team has zero wins.  Ridiculous 

Yeah inwasnt really high on any wb's last draft but IF we had to take one it had to be watson was my thoughts. I mean he sat in the pocket and smoked alabama for the nat champ right? Combine be damned.

still, stop shitting on kizer. He's not just a rookie he's green as Shmuck. He likely needed another 1-2 years in college but obviously his relationship with kelly melted and he wasnt going to sit for a year to transfer, so he came out in the draft

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Yep...I hated him less than most.....but really didnt see any of the top 4 as being high first round talents.....and, so far, stand by that...

We still have this in common...

1 hour ago, Mudfly said:

Damn, this is telling.

I'm thinking Hue is full of Sheet with his "you have to trust me" about Kessler.

I think > Jimmy tells FO to get the players with the highest upside for as cheap as possible > FO talks to GM and formulates a plan, doesn't want to take a QB #1 because if he fails, it's their asses > FO tells head coach this plan, that we want a young "analytics driven team". Hue doesn't seemed thrilled about it, but agrees and sticks with it. Fast forward, the Browns keep cutting and getting rid of veterans over and over again to save more money. They use Dpud's strategy of acquiring mass picks, but don't have much knowledge on actually picking talent. Jimmy is afraid of resigning a STUD qb or WR like Julio Jones, Tom Brady, ect, and would rather get a decent 8-8 or 9-7 team and barely slide into the playoffs while he makes money and pays under a million a year to most of our players.

Meanwhile, veterans like Collins are dissuaded because we have so little talent to work with. Kenny Britt looks at it like he was already paid and that we have a rookie QB that can't throw yet anyway, so he half asses it. If they cut him, he's still paid. We should've signed Kenny Britt to a one year deal. I'm perplexed how much we paid him. 

13 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

These kinds of useless posts always spring up after someone has a big game. Then they disappear when said player comes back down to earth.

Give Kizer DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller and the Houston defense and let’s see how well he does.

Watson is more experienced and a better passer than Kizer. I don't see kizer putting up five touchdowns in a game yet, even on that team. Dude holds onto the ball too long.

9 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Jimmy is afraid of resigning a STUD qb or WR like Julio Jones, Tom Brady, ect, and would rather get a decent 8-8 or 9-7 team and barely slide into the playoffs while he makes money and pays under a million a year to most of our players.

So how does Brock' s salary fit that equation

Just now, stillmotion said:

we traded for the draft pick. and we cut people like haden so jimmy couple recoup the money we spent on the second round draft pick.

Haden would've been gone regardless. Yes... we wanted the pick, but to spend that much money for 2nd round pick doesn't scream out "Hey I'm afraid to spend money!" 

41 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

Watson is more experienced and a better passer than Kizer. I don't see kizer putting up five touchdowns in a game yet, even on that team. Dude holds onto the ball too long.

Maybe or maybe not, but he damn sure isn’t set up for success like Watson is right now. It’s comparing apples to oranges.

I'm trying hard NOT to criticize Kizer TOO much. His defense doesn't force FG's, his WRs don't make any plays, and one WR has caused 2 or 3 picks pretty much by himself. He doesn't have weapons, he doesn't get special teams help, and his favorite receiver got hurt almost immediately. That's pretty tough guys. 

The truth of the matter is that if he has a good game next week all can be forgiven. He just needs to start progressing a bit more. And maybe he will. 

15 hours ago, stillmotion said:

lol... You just lauded the only QB who holds the ball longer than Kizer. Bet you did not know that...

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-time-to-throw

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm trying hard NOT to criticize Kizer TOO much. His defense doesn't force FG's, his WRs don't make any plays, and one WR has caused 2 or 3 picks pretty much by himself. He doesn't have weapons, he doesn't get special teams help, and his favorite receiver got hurt almost immediately. That's pretty tough guys. 

The truth of the matter is that if he has a good game next week all can be forgiven. He just needs to start progressing a bit more. And maybe he will. 

Here's news... he is already improving.

No.. it's not translating to wins at the moment, but his sacks are trending down... 7-2-1-1 for Weeks 1 - 4 in order. Anyone bitching today about "throw it away" or "check it down"? Now it's all about "touch" and "accuracy". When one problem ceases, but is replaced by another... that's a form of "progress".

It was no secret that Watson was coming into the league "most NFL ready". The question came in comparing ceilings.

Last point... Watson has to work out for Houston. They are married to him by the price they paid... that they paid us. Whereas we are just engaged to Kizer. Going to give him the time in 2017 to see if we can be happy with him for the rest of his (football) life. If he can, great! If he can't, we'll get engaged to a new one.

I still like our arrangement.

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Here's news... he is already improving.

No.. it's not translating to wins at the moment, but his sacks are trending down... 7-2-1-1 for Weeks 1 - 4 in order. Anyone bitching today about "throw it away" or "check it down"? Now it's all about "touch" and "accuracy". When one problem ceases, but is replaced by another... that's a form of "progress".

It was no secret that Watson was coming into the league "most NFL ready". The question came in comparing ceilings.

Last point... Watson has to work out for Houston. They are married to him by the price they paid... that they paid us. Whereas we are just engaged to Kizer. Going to give him the time in 2017 to see if we can be happy with him for the rest of his (football) life. If he can, great! If he can't, we'll get engaged to a new one.

I still like our arrangement.

I pretty much agree with everything you're saying about Kizer, and I am beyond hopeful that he will have a good week soon.  When Kizer was announced as our starter for the year, we knew there'd be struggles, no doubt.  I made the comment that not much else matters this season other than establishing that Kizer has the potential to be our future QB.  Even if we don't get more wins than last year, if Kizer takes the steps management needs to see that solidifies him as our #1 QB, the SEASON IS A SUCCESS.  We'd get to use our vast draft arsenal on everything BUT the QB, and how amazing will THAT be?  That's how teams are created, that's how teams go from crappy, miserable seasons, to actually making sustainable progress.  They get their QB, and then they start adding pieces.  

All that being said, we need Kizer to take a few more steps.  It doesn't have to equate in "wins" per say, but we need to see a higher completion percentage.  We need to see a few long TD passes, sustained drives, quicker reads, running for 1st downs, taking care of the ball, and displaying far better accuracy.  Obviously our receivers AREN'T helping matters, and Britt is single handily ruining Kizer's numbers.  Those big drops, the INT's from those drops, the drive killing penalties, and not BEING THERE for our young QB are devastating.  Britt should be doing the OPPOSITE, and for whatever reason, it's just not happening.  

Before the season started, if you were to ask who was the ONE offensive player we couldn't lose, I'd tell you it was Corey Coleman.  It's rotten luck, and we all know it.  It's tough to simply add a competent WR at this point in the game, but we have to try.  In some ways, Kizer IS making progress in how he sees the field.  He's making some truly great throws, and we really should've gotten points on two of our first three drives.  Yeah our defense sucked again, but Kizer played well enough early to get us some points, and that's the real crime here.  People let him down...again.

And that brings me to the defense.  Other than Britt and the other WR's, that's what is REALLY killing Kizer's chances of making sustainable progress.  You just can't ask a 21 year-old rookie QB to keep throwing the ball all of the damn time when he's down 20 points.  THAT'S HOW YOU RUIN SOMEBODY.  Kizer will either get hurt, get his confidence shaken, or both.  Look at what happened to Kessler.  He was never the same after that last concussion.  We can't have that happen to Kizer, and the defense MUST step up.  Not only the players, but Gregg Williams too.  He called a truly awful game, and he knows it.  

Against the Jets, I want to see our defense hold the game CLOSE.  I want to see them actually force some darn FG's instead of giving up TD's every dang time.  I want to see Kizer and the offense score some first quarter points, and I DON'T want to see our WRs drop quality passes.  If we do those things, and that's not asking the world, we can get a better picture of Kizer and his progress.  

Archived