THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

Rather than rations here's an idea instead of chicken wings or even quarters or brest meat we sometimes get turkey legs or better yet thighs from the meat department. 

A really good meaty change from chicken and it's economical and delicious.  Good GAMEDAY food. Try it.

9 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Cal and I can tell you that you have no idea what you are missing from the wild. Cutthroat trout pan-fried in butter from the just broken ice in the Rawah Wilderness in northern Colorado, fresh live crawfish picked at midnight from the Horsetooth Reservoir tributary near Ft. Collins grilled over an open fire with the tails served with dipping melted butter and gigged flounder fillets wrapped in foil with spiced lemon-butter and placed in campfire coals at midnight on the backside of Matagorda Island on the Texas coast. Atmosphere is everything. Right cal? 🤩

Now just give us a nice ice-chilled white wine to go with those Larry. Those trips would be a mind changer. A Sauternes maybe?   🥂😁

Actually, I do know what I'm missing Bill- and I don't miss it.  I've nibbled on the stuff and for whatever reason, I don't like it. If I put a shrimp in my mouth, 5 minutes later, I'm still chewing on it. I take that as a sign my body is trying to tell me something. You'd think growing up on the shores of Lake Erie with fresh caught yellow perch or walleye I wouldn't have a problem eating it. I almost thought I could eat grilled swordfish, tried it a couple times- but I was wrong. On my trips to Alaska to my pal's house where he had alderwood smoked salmon, or our fishing adventure to Upper Paradise Lake with the very mild arctic grayling- still no go. Last trip there- I hiked up to the Harding Icefield while the guys went halibut fishing. Two of the guys I went with are gourmet chefs (one of them has his own catering business) They argued for an hour afterwards about the best way to prepare the fresh catch. Yup- didn't care for halibut either. 

BTW, those wines are great- just don't ruin them with some nasty seafood.  Don't have time now (it's a long story) about our wine\ frog legs paring. and- I don't care for those either. If you haven't figured it out yet- I have an extremely limited diet as far as wine aficionados goes...  :)  

9 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

While I enjoy the occasional steak and good hamburger, I'd probably be fine moving to Maine and never touching red meat again. 

Now I'm craving a damn lobster roll! 

Ever try monkfish, the poor man's lobster? Just buy from a reputable source it got counterfeited bad years back, wife saw some good looking monkfish at our local Giant Eagle. We will get some before too long, been trying out a lot of new recipes lately.

From FOOD & WINE......

Monkfish is sometimes called “the poor man’s lobster” because of its sweet, firm white flesh—but don’t think it’s a second-choice ingredient. Chefs love monkfish because it’s so versatile: like swordfish and tuna, it can be threaded onto skewers and grilled on kebabs without falling apart; or like cod or halibut, it can be lightly poached in a flavorful broth or roasted with vegetables. The Food & Wine guide to monkfish serves up this fish in many ways, from Eric Ripert’s Asian-inspired roast monkfish in sake broth to Mediterranean favorites like Mario Batali’s monkfish piccata.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

No, I don't think I've ever seen it. You have it at your Giant Eagle? I would have to look for it at the big GE off 77 in N. Canton, my Podunk GE in town is lucky to have fish sticks! 

We have two GEs on 224 in Boardman ours closer to Poland where we live has an excellent meat department -but- we still do shop Aldis and Marcs for other stuff and now Amazon Prime Pantry.....yeah delivered can goods! I'm turning into a Millenial. :lol:

• Upvote 1

There are several varieties of monkfish around the world and they're all UGLY! This will give hoorta nightmares:

(Updated to be less scary. :o )

stelprdb5308115-thumb-250xauto-9926.jpg

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

Ever try monkfish, the poor man's lobster? Just buy from a reputable source it got counterfeited bad years back, wife saw some good looking monkfish at our local Giant Eagle. We will get some before too long, been trying out a lot of new recipes lately.

LOL, the only good lobster is a dead lobster. When we were up in Acadia National Park a long time ago with two of my former college roommates, I was more than happy to boil those suckers for them- and then grill myself a hamburger. 

PS- big halibuts are damn weird ugly fish too.  And for those who don't know- they can get huge. My Alaska pal actually did commercial fishing before he got a respectable job as an architect.  The big boys have been known to bust guys legs flopping around on the deck. That's why if they manage to haul one of those in, they pull out the shotgun to blast it before they bring it aboard. But that will disqualify you for a world record fish. When I asked Bernie why that is- his never to be forgotten reply was- "because it's fishing, not hunting."  :D  

1 hour ago, mjp28 said:

There are several varieties of monkfish around the world and they're all UGLY! This will give hoorta nightmares:

They're dead? Good, kill them all....  

PS- as a former Blood Bank Technologist, I got to see about every human trauma you can imagine- missing limbs and all that stuff. So I'm pretty gross out proof....  The topper was a guy who rolled his Harley doing around 70, should have been DRT (dead right there). One of the residents took one look at the mess and barfed. The X-Ray report was three pages single spaced. Needless to say he didn't survive.   

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

There isn't a chance in hell I'm eating that.

Hell, I might not sleep tonight because of it. 

Some real prehistoric s.hit there but they are delicious!  I like 1. crab 2. monkfish 3. others including lobster. 

C'mon order the monkfish,  a beautiful white meat fish.  Mmmmmmmm. 

..........hmmmm,  kind of looks like ghoolie.  :lol:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

BTW, those wines are great- just don't ruin them with some nasty seafood.  Don't have time now (it's a long story) about our wine\ frog legs paring. and- I don't care for those either. If you haven't figured it out yet- I have an extremely limited diet as far as wine aficionados goes...  :)  

Best overnight stay I ever had was Chateau d'Arche in Sauternes on the way from Barcelona to Paris. The owner just opened his fridge and told us to drink anything we wanted, but no more than 3 bottles. He had some really great years in there, not just the average stuff. Wonderful! reat place to stay overlooking the red tile roofs of Sauternes.

27 / 40
HI287892139.jpg

HI287892111.jpg
HI287892112.jpg

I’ll throw my hat in the ring. My signature chicken marinade. 

Chicken breasts

Garlic, coursely minced, about 3-5 cloves per breast

Weber brand garlic and herb seasoning

Yasou greek dressing. The only place l can find it is Jungle Jim’s, a local grocery store that is like Disneyland for foodies. Available online l’m sure. It’s also good on salad.

Tenderize chicken with a fork. Trim fat to desired defattedness. Sprinkle a bit of seasoning on each side and rub it in. Throw it in a ziplock with the garlic and greek dressing for a few hours or overnight. 

Cook it on a grill or cast iron pan.

68C80A00-D61B-4009-992F-9E27E3C6592C.jpeg

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I’ll throw my hat in the ring. My signature chicken marinade. 

Chicken breasts

Garlic, coursely minced, about 3-5 cloves per breast

Weber brand garlic and herb seasoning

Yasou greek dressing. The only place l can find it is Jungle Jim’s, a local grocery store that is like Disneyland for foodies. Available online l’m sure. It’s also good on salad.

Tenderize chicken with a fork. Trim fat to desired defattedness. Sprinkle a bit of seasoning on each side and rub it in. Throw it in a ziplock with the garlic and greek dressing for a few hours or overnight. 

Cook it on a grill or cast iron pan.

68C80A00-D61B-4009-992F-9E27E3C6592C.jpeg

Looks nice plus keeping with the GAMEDAY eats! 

.........and can't go wrong with Weber, I have the original Weber Real Grilling cookbook, available used along with the NEW Real Grilling cookbook, Amazon real cheap. I recommend it!  They have a ton of Weber grilling books.

22 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Looks nice plus keeping with the GAMEDAY eats! 

.........and can't go wrong with Weber, I have the original Weber Real Grilling cookbook, available used along with the NEW Real Grilling cookbook, Amazon real cheap. I recommend it!  They have a ton of Weber grilling books.

Only thing that needs added to it for extra flavor boost is this. And a shot or two for the chef with a little Coke and a slice of lime. Doesn't get any better'n that.🍹🤠

Black Seal Rum

black-seal-rum-trans2.png

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

Don Papa Rum

From the Phillipines.

Now that one looks very interesting. Good sipping rum?

EDIT: To each his own. Some love it and some despise it.

https://www.rumratings.com/brands/1052-don-papa-small-batch

FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

3 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

FIlipino rum tastes different.  I've had it and it is pretty good.  What rum do you recommend?  How much is it?  And where can I buy it.  The Coast Guard Exchange here has a huge liquor section and sells all kinds of whiskey/Rum/Vodka, wine etc.  No tax either.

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva -  Venezuelan -- hoorta will back me up on that one. Greatest sipping rum ever. About $35 or so. May be less at Coast Guard Exchange.

Won a double gold best in class and best overall rum 2 or 3 years ago in the S.F. International Spirits contest.

Then what was the deal on Goslings?  Something to get smashed on? May as well drink Meyers or Bacardi. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Then what was the deal on Goslings?  Something to get smashed on? May as well drink Meyers or Bacardi. 

Think of it this way Larry, Goslings is to Diplomatico like cooking sherry is to Bordeaux. I was using it as a flavor additive to food above and as a decent rum for Cuba Libre (rum and coke with lime) while cooking. It's not a sipper for sure.

Just now, The Gipper said:

I ate a cookie during the game last night.  Chocolate Chip.

Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

I had fettuccine alfredo. ;)

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Some day I may graduate to potato chips.

Actually, because the game started so late, not til 8:20 pm, I had eaten dinner much earlier

Potato chips are my one true weakness, I can polish off a half a bag like nothing......we started getting boxes of the assortments of 1 oz. bags of chips, doritos, etc. for snacks only about 160 calories each and relatively cheap.

I have a bad habit of eating lunch and a late dinner especially  since my wife retired. And GAMEDAY eating is whenever!

2 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Glad to see you're moving up in the culinary world there Gip. Dunk or no dunk?

I had fettuccine alfredo. ;)

I had a grossly overpriced hamburger (supposedly kobe beef) and onion straws at the Dayton Racquet Club. I don't pass up the opportunity though. One of our Wine group has a membership, and it's great ambiance to get together with the guys and watch on the widescreen. On the top (29th) floor of the biggest building in town, with a commanding view in all directions. And no hassles about bringing in your own wines, of which there were plenty of very good ones. :)

• Upvote 1