THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

This would have been a great day for chili. 

On the grill? But my wife would get all wet.

Hey Dutch I will have a few more select recipes coming soon, we just painted the whole first floor and are redoing our dining room, kitchen and massive cookbook collection......look out!

• Upvote 1

woke up to the buck & 31 grand slam breakfast special..Fried bologna, egg & damn were out of cheese.. the V8 bloody Sunday specials are flowing well..  

Just now, gumby73 said:

woke up to the buck & 31 grand slam breakfast special..Fried bologna, egg & damn were out of cheese.. the V8 bloody Sunday specials are flowing well..  

Oh god we had fried bologna with melted provolone on Italian bread, dill pickles and black olives for a late dinner yesterday......it was so good. Hadn't had it in a long time, sometimes simple is good, with the accompanying condiments,   dishes and bread. Yum.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Oh god we had fried bologna with melted provolone on Italian bread, dill pickles and black olives for a late dinner yesterday......it was so good. Hadn't had it in a long time, sometimes simple is good, with the accompanying condiments,   dishes and bread. Yum.

Just finished off raw mushrooms and mini-carrots with dill dip.

• Upvote 1

Did a mushroom-cheese (pepper jack)-leftover sloppy Joe omelette for breakfast.

My operative philosophy of "any leftovers make a good omelette" continues its string of successes.

Wife made sloppy joes last note from scratch... beats the hell outta "Manwich"

Game meal? Why... leftover sloppy Joe(s), of course.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well we decided on our favorite Wedgewood Pizza for opening day for the BROWNS and leftovers for MNF.

With the rains coming later the grill will sit another week or so. :)

Got a 12" with roasted red peppers, mushrooms, black olives and extra cheese - I'll have some later, wife said it was really good. 

And a 8" with pepperoni and extra cheese before the game, delicious. 

One older guy at Wedgewood took our order and made it, he does it right. 

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Just finished off raw mushrooms and mini-carrots with dill dip.

What kind or brand of dill dip? We used to get Yoder's from Amish country up here, can't find it. Love good dill dip with crackers or veggies.

3 hours ago, mjp28 said:

What kind or brand of dill dip? We used to get Yoder's from Amish country up here, can't find it. Love good dill dip with crackers or veggies.

H.E.B. is an area grocer here in Texas and maybe nearby states and makes their own very excellent dill dip at a very reasonable price. Good with any raw veggies of your choice.

2 hours ago, syd said:

u 2 are Shmucking up the food thread 

Yeah its the GAMEDAY foods not kindergarten. 

• Haha 1

Hey Dutch Oven and you other cooking aficionados my wife just got a new LENNOX dutch oven which is a fraction of the weight of a traditional dutch oven and has an oven safe tempered glass lid regular  $100 for $50 on sale.

Since her shoulder surgery in 2016 she just can't lift well and a dutch oven is essential for making those good GAMEDAY and other meals.

Next to grilling oven meals are great one pot meals.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2018 at 7:23 PM, syd said:

u 2 are Shmucking up the food thread 

Yeah, visited here for the first time in a few weeks, and cleaned up the personal attacks. 

Sunday heading over to my pal Bob's place now that his totally remodeled kitchen is in order. It's always the usual fare- assorted cold cuts, french bread, chips, the occasional pizza and BYOB. Which is always wine in my case, a few of the guys drink beer. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Yeah, visited here for the first time in a few weeks, and cleaned up the personal attacks. 

Sunday heading over to my pal Bob's place now that his totally remodeled kitchen is in order. It's always the usual fare- assorted cold cuts, french bread, chips, the occasional pizza and BYOB. Which is always wine in my case, a few of the guys drink beer. 

cool thanks You know I have been slowly switching over to wine from beer any suggestions ? and no maddog 20 20 jokes from the peanut gallery

1 hour ago, syd said:

cool thanks You know I have been slowly switching over to wine from beer any suggestions ? and no maddog 20 20 jokes from the peanut gallery

Boone's Farm? No seriously I'm no wine connoisseur but there are several here.

For a start on general information try:  https://www.foodandwine.com/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

All depends upon what your tastes are. Like sweeter wines? Red vs. White or rose? $$ available?  With food or not and if so what foods?

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

All depends upon what your tastes are. Like sweeter wines? Red vs. White or rose? $$ available?  With food or not and if so what foods?

What wine goes with the BROWNS? :huh:

Food is always a wine consideration, my wife knows wine almost never has a beer, I'm on a good lager kick in beer myself Sam Adams.

7 hours ago, syd said:

Ha in regard to wine- I'll borrow the Miller Lite commercial tag line. "Tastes great, less filling."

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Exactly Ag. Do you want to drink it on it's own, or with food? Though this to my mind is the Golden Age of decent wines that won't send you to the poor house. We're talking stuff in the $6 to the $15-$20 range. I've helped teach a wine appreciation course for several years at the University of Dayton- and one thing I've stressed from personal experience is when it comes to wine- there's what I call the "logarithmic law of diminishing returns". Just because a wine is 10X more expensive doesn't necessarily make it 10X better, usually not even close. Yeah, I've been lucky enough to hang out with guys and taste their "trophy wines" who can afford almost anything, but trust me, that stuff is a status symbol more than anything else. Back in "the old days" meaning the late 1970s to early '80s you could buy great wines cheap, cellar them for 20 years, and congratulate yourself you were sitting on a fortune. No longer. The very top end wines have become collectibles that only millionaires can afford. The worst example I know of is Romanee Conti (it's a for real burgundy and the top of the heap) the only way you get a bottle of it is by buying it in conjunction in a six pack of their other wines (which are held in high regard in their own right). The six pack will set you back $20,000. To show you how crazy it's gotten- way back I bought a bottle of 1972 La Romanee, the vineyard is separated by a cart track from Romanee Conti- for $30. As I tell my class- when you come right down to it- it's fermented grape juice.  

A quote I like to bring up from one of the original Napa winemakers August Sebastiani- "if the first sip of a wine invites another- the wine is good". Even in our group of guys who know their wines cold- you can have violent disagreements about a particular wine. For example- I can't stand New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs- the worst examples of them smell like chopped up tomato plants to me. OTOH, the only wine I'll still splurge on that I love is a Spanish wine called Clio (around $50), my good pal Bob calls it a fruit bomb with little redeeming value. Personally I think he's nuts- because once a year at our class after hours I'll pull out an "extra credit" bottle of Clio for the kids to taste- and they almost universally love it.  :)  

So, if you give us some of the wines that you've tried and liked- or something you think you might like, I'm sure we can come up with suggestions. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Ha in regard to wine- I'll borrow the Miller Lite commercial tag line. "Tastes great, less filling."

Exactly Ag. Do you want to drink it on it's own, or with food? Though this to my mind is the Golden Age of decent wines that won't send you to the poor house. We're talking stuff in the $6 to the $15-$20 range. I've helped teach a wine appreciation course for several years at the University of Dayton- and one thing I've stressed from personal experience is when it comes to wine- there's what I call the "logarithmic law of diminishing returns". Just because a wine is 10X more expensive doesn't necessarily make it 10X better, usually not even close. Yeah, I've been lucky enough to hang out with guys and taste their "trophy wines" who can afford almost anything, but trust me, that stuff is a status symbol more than anything else. Back in "the old days" meaning the late 1970s to early '80s you could buy great wines cheap, cellar them for 20 years, and congratulate yourself you were sitting on a fortune. No longer. The very top end wines have become collectibles that only millionaires can afford. The worst example I know of is Romanee Conti (it's a for real burgundy and the top of the heap) the only way you get a bottle of it is by buying it in conjunction in a six pack of their other wines (which are held in high regard in their own right). The six pack will set you back $20,000. To show you how crazy it's gotten- way back I bought a bottle of 1972 La Romanee, the vineyard is separated by a cart track from Romanee Conti- for $30. As I tell my class- when you come right down to it- it's fermented grape juice.  

A quote I like to bring up from one of the original Napa winemakers August Sebastiani- "if the first sip of a wine invites another- the wine is good". Even in our group of guys who know their wines cold- you can have violent disagreements about a particular wine. For example- I can't stand New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs- the worst examples of them smell like chopped up tomato plants to me. OTOH, the only wine I'll still splurge on that I love is a Spanish wine called Clio (around $50), my good pal Bob calls it a fruit bomb with little redeeming value. Personally I think he's nuts- because once a year at our class after hours I'll pull out an "extra credit" bottle of Clio for the kids to taste- and they almost universally love it.  :)  

So, if you give us some of the wines that you've tried and liked- or something you think you might like, I'm sure we can come up with suggestions. 

Great write up Larry. Put a smile on my face. There are a lot of really excellent Cabernets out there that are cheaper than the "top" Cabs, but nonetheless taste very good to me, especially with a fine medium rare quality steak. I stumbled upon Honig Cabernet from Napa a few years back and year after year it has never disappointed. Runs around $40 a bottle and is a nice "full" Cab that even an amateur like myself can distinguish from other Cabs and it "melts" into the bite of steak. $40 gets you one and I would put it up against a $500-300 bottle any day and never blink an eye. It just tastes good to me and that's what counts. 

My biggest regret to this day was when I was at the Hess winery (Hess has a cheaper yet very drinkable Cab -Allomi Vineyard for around $22) where they had out a few cases of a cab with an early maturing South American Malbec blended in at about 10%. Open it and it smelled like blueberries, but with a definite big Cab. underneath it. The taste was wonderful. But I was too cheap 20 years ago to pay the $100/bottle they wanted. I called back a couple months later for Xmas, since I knew they did not ship it to retailers and tried to order it by phone. It had sold out within a week or so from when I had been there. Oh well-missed opportunity.

Appetizers tomorrow going to roll with buffalo chicken dip and a pickle and cheese plate made up of 14 year old white cheddar, spring gouda , green onion cheese, home made bread and butter pickles / peppers.   Main course is going to be 1 1/2" thick ribeyes grilled on the Kamodo along with some roasted zuchinni. Going to finish that off with some homemade pumpkin pie soft serve ice cream. Damn now I am hungry

3 hours ago, syd said:

box

3 hours ago, syd said:

liver abuse 

Drinking enough wine will eventually kill your liver, though not as fast as high octane booze will.  

25 minutes ago, syd said:

hmmm a couple of cheese's I have been enjoying lately are a honey sriracha gouda and a scotch ale beer cheddar would that type of wine go well with those ? ya dickhead ;)

There's nothing wrong with those "wine in a box" offerings if you're on a budget- and they're actually good values.  I've tried Black Box, and their cabernet and merlot are decent for the price. Underwood red wines in a can is pretty decent too. Only other wine in a box I've tried is Rex Goliath, which I found to be passable.  Stay away from the Man Can wine they're selling at the stadium though, drinkable if you want to get a buzz on, but not much else. Just don't try going through all 3 liters of the economy sizes in one night. I've seen their 500 ml mini boxes that retail for around $4- you can try to see if you like them. 

If you want a red wine that's actually in a bottle, the Spanish Vega Sindoa $8 is ok. I'm partial to the Cheap Ravenswood zinfandels (the former owner winemaker Joel Peterson used to be a Medical Technologist before he started making wine- like me). Cline old vine zinfandels (some of my everyday house swill) can be had for $10. If you want to move up in price point- the Robert Mondavi Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays ($12) are wines I would recommend for someone just starting out in wine. 

That's the deal- unless you've got a $100k+ income, you're not pulling out expensive wines to drink every night just for the hell of it. There's lakes of wines in the $10 range to try- and really- that's how you'll learn how decide what you like, And if you like them- no reason to buy more expensive. The absolute best way to find out what you like (and I don't know where you live) is start going to wine tastings that stores offer. Here in Dayton there's at least a dozen every week starting Wednesday and running through Saturday. In Ohio- they have to at least charge for a taste what the bottle would cost at retail. (no free samples) We have one high end store here, so here's the math. We'll let you taste this $100 bottle of wine. That's 24 ounces- so a two once pour will cost you $8 bucks to try it. LOL, less than what they charge you at First energy for a Great Lakes beer. That isn't the case in other states. Kentucky and Texas (was there last year for the Texans game) allow you small tastes of stuff for free. I had a fun time in Houston at Total Wine, I've never seen the inside of a wine store I didn't like.  :)  

Now I'll admit- when I head over to Bob's for the Saints game tomorrow, I'm pulling out something a tad more expensive. Found a very nice California Raeburn Pinot Noir $25 (the grape of red burgundy)  at the tasting this afternoon, and a wine that I bought a ton of- Napa Cellars "V" Cabernet $27. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Drinking enough wine will eventually kill your liver, though not as fast as high octane booze will.  

There's nothing wrong with those "wine in a box" offerings if you're on a budget- and they're actually good values.  I've tried Black Box, and their cabernet and merlot are decent for the price. Underwood red wines in a can is pretty decent too. Only other wine in a box I've tried is Rex Goliath, which I found to be passable.  Stay away from the Man Can wine they're selling at the stadium though, drinkable if you want to get a buzz on, but not much else. Just don't try going through all 3 liters of the economy sizes in one night. I've seen their 500 ml mini boxes that retail for around $4- you can try to see if you like them. 

If you want a red wine that's actually in a bottle, the Spanish Vega Sindoa $8 is ok. I'm partial to the Cheap Ravenswood zinfandels (the former owner winemaker Joel Peterson used to be a Medical Technologist before he started making wine- like me). Cline old vine zinfandels (some of my everyday house swill) can be had for $10. If you want to move up in price point- the Robert Mondavi Bourbon Barrel Cabernet Sauvignons and Chardonnays ($12) are wines I would recommend for someone just starting out in wine. 

That's the deal- unless you've got a $100k+ income, you're not pulling out expensive wines to drink every night just for the hell of it. There's lakes of wines in the $10 range to try- and really- that's how you'll learn how decide what you like, And if you like them- no reason to buy more expensive. The absolute best way to find out what you like (and I don't know where you live) is start going to wine tastings that stores offer. Here in Dayton there's at least a dozen every week starting Wednesday and running through Saturday. In Ohio- they have to at least charge for a taste what the bottle would cost at retail. (no free samples) We have one high end store here, so here's the math. We'll let you taste this $100 bottle of wine. That's 24 ounces- so a two once pour will cost you $8 bucks to try it. LOL, less than what they charge you at First energy for a Great Lakes beer. That isn't the case in other states. Kentucky and Texas (was there last year for the Texans game) allow you small tastes of stuff for free. I had a fun time in Houston at Total Wine, I've never seen the inside of a wine store I didn't like.  :)  

Now I'll admit- when I head over to Bob's for the Saints game tomorrow, I'm pulling out something a tad more expensive. Found a very nice California Raeburn Pinot Noir $25 (the grape of red burgundy)  at the tasting this afternoon, and a wine that I bought a ton of- Napa Cellars "V" Cabernet $27. 

I like white wine better than red.  What type of 'cheap' chardonay do you recommend?

Just now, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I like white wine better than red.  What type of 'cheap' chardonay do you recommend?

The Australian variety. Lindemans Bin 65 is a great value, and Yellow Tail. California flavors are Fetzer, Berenger, and Sutter Home.  Don't be afraid to try some of the cheaper German (or Oregon\ Washington state)  Rieslings either. They can be off dry to slightly sweet, and I like them a lot.