THE BROWNS BOARD

• Favorite GAMEDAY food ? ..... Dine in, carryout, *delivery or make at home.

mjp28

30 minutes ago, hoorta said:

The Australian variety. Lindemans Bin 65 is a great value, and Yellow Tail. California flavors are Fetzer, Berenger, and Sutter Home.  Don't be afraid to try some of the cheaper German (or Oregon\ Washington state)  Rieslings either. They can be off dry to slightly sweet, and I like them a lot.   

If you look at German Rieslings look for these words on the label : Kabinett (least sweet one), Spatlese (medium sweet one), and Auslese (the most sweet).

If you want a sweet Italian wine look for a Moscato.   All of these range from around $9-12 per bottle. Much more for higher rated ones.

5 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Appetizers tomorrow going to roll with buffalo chicken dip and a pickle and cheese plate made up of 14 year old white cheddar, spring gouda , green onion cheese, home made bread and butter pickles / peppers.   Main course is going to be 1 1/2" thick ribeyes grilled on the Kamodo along with some roasted zuchinni. Going to finish that off with some homemade pumpkin pie soft serve ice cream. Damn now I am hungry

Excellent and of course one of my personal favorites a big juicy ribeye on the flames! Yum. :)

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

That's what those California Cabernet Sauvignons are made for.  :)  

You sound like my wife with her merlot, Pinot whatever, zinfandel. I'm a Rinuite Lambrusco with spaghetti guy once in awhile.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

You sound like my wife with her merlot, Pinot whatever, zinfandel. I'm a Rinuite Lambrusco with spaghetti guy once in awhile.

Aha, then look for some cheap Sangria from Spain. Nero can confirm that you will love that if you like Lambrusco.😁

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Aha, then look for some cheap Sangria from Spain. Nero can confirm that you will love that if you like Lambrusco.😁

My wife has a bottle of Madria Sangria downstairs, for cooking and drinking, available anywhere.

Screenshot_2018-09-16-10-39-34.png

Oh total coincidence but today's GAMEDAY MEAL were having Penne Rigate pasta with chopped mushrooms in the sauce and Abruzzi's Italian meatballs......ummmm, wife can throw together a meal. Italian bread and some Ruinite Lambrusco for me. It really smells good in here!

GEAUX BROWNS! 

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Abruzzi's? Good choice on the penne, that's my go-to pasta. 

What's the Italian bakery to go to in the Mahoning Valley? 

Besides the grocery store, Schwebels, etc. Jimmys, 5 star.....

3230 Belmont Avenue, eat in for lunch.

http://www.jimmysitalianspecialties.com/menu.html

.....edit add, long, long ago I used to eat at the founders restaurant on the West side of Youngstown, great pizza then. Somewhat different more upscale now.

......edit 2, if the wife doesn't have time to make her scratch meatballs we occasionally have the Abruzzi's meatballs -but- we still doctor meals like fresh mushrooms in the sauce, and the wife grows and dries herbs every year, gives TONS away generally 12-14 varieties. She's good at it!

......edit 3, you always sautee your mushrooms in wine before adding to the sauce. Bon Appétit. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've been sick over the past month, even in the hospital -plus- we have relatives coming in from Chicago coming to stay here Monday.......I'm off my culinary game!

In fact I'm seriously thinking about a fried bologna sandwich with melted mozarella cheese,  Burman's mayo (my new favorite replacing 50 year champ Hellman's) maybe Grey Poupon mustard on Jewish rye, some kosher dills during the BROWNS game.

My wife might bake some cookies.

On 9/16/2018 at 12:47 PM, mjp28 said:

3230 Belmont Avenue, eat in for lunch.

http://www.jimmysitalianspecialties.com/menu.html

.....edit add, long, long ago I used to eat at the founders restaurant on the West side of Youngstown, great pizza then. Somewhat different more upscale now.

......edit 2, if the wife doesn't have time to make her scratch meatballs we occasionally have the Abruzzi's meatballs -but- we still doctor meals like fresh mushrooms in the sauce, and the wife grows and dries herbs every year, gives TONS away generally 12-14 varieties. She's good at it!

......edit 3, you always sautee your mushrooms in wine before adding to the sauce. Bon Appétit. 

Hey Dutch, have you had a chance to check out Jimmy's if you're ever slummin' over this side of Ohio.

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'll have to check it out.

Isn't there a famous seafood place on Belmont Ave? 

We don't get up to Belmont since we moved to Boardman 30+ years ago -but- the Youngstown Crab Co. used to be nice up there.

I literally grew up on the strip in Niles from high school 1960s until we moved in 1985.

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Well I've been sick over the past month, even in the hospital -plus- we have relatives coming in from Chicago coming to stay here Monday.......I'm off my culinary game!

In fact I'm seriously thinking about a fried bologna sandwich with melted mozarella cheese,  Burman's mayo (my new favorite replacing 50 year champ Hellman's) maybe Grey Poupon mustard on Jewish rye, some kosher dills during the BROWNS game.

Oh my fried bologna with melted mozzarella was quite tasty.

Back to gormet or grill cooking this week for company....84 degrees today!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Hard to beat a fried bologna sandwich for comfort food! What is the Burmans mayo you speak of? If its better than Hellmans it may be the holy grail of condiments!!

15 hours ago, jcam222 said:

Hard to beat a fried bologna sandwich for comfort food! What is the Burmans mayo you speak of? If its better than Hellmans it may be the holy grail of condiments!!

Burman's is Aldi's brand of mayo,  mustard, ketchup etc the mayo jar looks exactly like a Hellmans jar...... bought it by mistake but I love it and all of their products.  It's my mayo now after 50 years of Hellman. 

Now this is different.......a GAMEDAY dish on a MONDAY Cleveland Indians playoff game! Awful time, 1:30 pm first pitch!

The wife's sister and nephew are driving in from Chicago this afternoon sometime, Indians fans.

We're grilling Italian sausage and the green peppers NOW for her signature Pasta with Italian Sausage Casserole with sauce, green peppers and melted cheese on top (crushed red pepper flakes optional). A great oven dish that gets better when it sits. Recipe available upon request.....if she has one.

Can't wait, it's on of my favorite casserole dishes list for sure. Ummmmmm.  :P

.......oh anothrr add, she grows and dries her own herbs, ummm.

GAMEDAY SNACKS - Wife is grilling up some honey barbequed chicken for snacks when they get here.

Oh the Italian sausage and grilled green peppers smell nice! Now peel off the blackened grilled skins on the peppers and in the oven they all go in the casserole. 

I'm teaching my wife all of my grilling tips....she's good now.

• 2 weeks later...

Sunday a friend coming over we're keeping GAMEDAY  simple a big roast chicken in the oven with potatoes, carrots, onions and my wife's home grown and dried herbs.

GO CHARLES, yes we named our chicken Charles, how sick is that. :lol:

GO BROWNS!

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Sunday a friend coming over we're keeping GAMEDAY  simple a big roast chicken in the oven with potatoes, carrots, onions and my wife's home grown and dried herbs.

GO CHARLES, yes we named our chicken Charles, how sick is that. :lol:

GO BROWNS!

My mother got real sick when my country raised grandmother told her we were eating my sister's namesake calf for dinner🤮. LOL!

My grandmother's only comment?, "City girls."👩‍🌾