THE BROWNS BOARD

The official Terry Pluto thread

Westside Steve

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/you-want-linebackers-ok-lets-look-at-the-linebackers-terrys-talkin-browns.html

Speed is a top priority for the Browns, especially at linebacker. It’s why they were delighted to draft Notre Dame’s Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (JOK) in the second round.

Looking deeper into Berry’s two drafts, he grabbed a speedy Jacob Phillips in the third round of 2020. In the same 2021 draft as JOK, the Browns selected West Virginia’s Tony Fields Jr. (also fast) in the fifth round.

-- I have been saying this.  SPEED is what I've been seeing them draft.  Peoples-Jones, Schwartz, Felton.  They want fast guys everywhere.

On 6/7/2021 at 7:04 PM, Orion said:

They want fast guys everywhere.

All other things being equal... sure...

... but the list of greats who were not "fast" is long.

Fast in and of itself is not enough.

Anyway... that's what we slow guys maintain... ;)

• Haha 1

On 6/7/2021 at 8:04 PM, Orion said:

I have been saying this.  SPEED is what I've been seeing them draft.  Peoples-Jones, Schwartz, Felton.  They want fast guys everywhere.

Obviously you haven't been in the tavern during games and DPJ kick returns in particular. Everyone thinks he's a turtle. I know he's fast and ran low 4.4 but I also understand why others say he looks slow. There is just something there where it looks like he is running in quicksand.

4 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Obviously you haven't been in the tavern during games

You are correct.  Never been there.  But I was screaming 'Fucking Fast' during this year's draft.  It's what I saw them doing.  

4 hours ago, bjh2130 said:

Obviously you haven't been in the tavern during games and DPJ kick returns in particular. Everyone thinks he's a turtle. I know he's fast and ran low 4.4 but I also understand why others say he looks slow. There is just something there where it looks like he is running in quicksand.

I believe I may have said something along the lines of "Please take the piano off your back, DPJ..." once or seven times directly after one of his returns. 

21 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

once or seven times directly after during one of his returns. 

FIFY.... ;) So.... he's deceptively slow?

I just do not like WRs returning kicks... they simply are not accustomed to running pall mall towards a line of bodies hoping a hole opens.

That's what RBs spend their life doing... that's what I expect to see Felton doing in 2021... early and often.

Punts? Different story... WRs are fine, but shorter, shiftier, quick-twitch types only need apply. I'm talkin' to you Schwartz...

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Terry's latest...

I agree with Terry that we probably won't see Chubb & Hunt on the field at the same time very often.  It worked really well the way they could bring fresh, powerful and fast legs into the game.  Especially in the 4th quarter.  Hunt would come in and run like his hair was on fire.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

they could bring fresh, powerful and fast legs into the game.  Especially in the 4th quarter.  Hunt would come in and run like his hair was on fire.

Hunt seeking Missile of Toledo 🚀 

Trucking 4 Steelers to the endzone?

Priceless ! 💪

Prepare for Launch 🚀

Gunna fly now! 

• Upvote 1

I feel Joe Wood's future as Browns DCoordinator could very well be tied to his ability - or inability - to get the most out of JOK.

It's often said that good coaches are the ones who are able to change their way of doing something to the talents of his players, i.e. "not trying to force a square block into a round hole". 

Will Woods find ways to exploit JOK's rare athleticism? Will Woods find ways to hide JOK's weaknesses?

That will be a fascinating story line to watch in 2021.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's often said that good coaches are the ones who are able to change their way of doing something to the talents of his players, i.e. "not trying to force a square block into a round hole". 

My favorite example of that is Don Shula.  When he had Larry Csonka, Jim Kick and Mercury Morris, he ran the ball down your throat and up your butt.  But when he had Dan Marino and the two Mark's he passed ya to death.  During the Monday Night Game the night that John Lennon got shot, Shula played a total slow-down game to try to eek a win against the Patriots.  And he pulled it off to perfection.  (I still can't believe that somebody shot the guy that wrote Imagine)

Now, I can understand that a new regime has a vision for what they believe is the best way to run an offense or defense for today's game.  But that's something that you have to build.  And it's not done overnight.  Until then, the coaches have to be able to scheme to the player's strengths that they currently have.  

Last year the offense got some pieces to their puzzle.  This year it's the defense that got the puzzle pieces.  And it sure seems like they're building for speed, quickness and athleticism over brute force.  It should be interesting to see how it unfolds.  (cough) we still gotta be able to stop the run (cough)

• Upvote 1

We went thru how many years of 🏈 suck? 🤓 

when asked why? It's always been the same answers... 1.Talent (GM's) 2.Coaching 3.Coaching *staffs* (Yeah! Haslam needed to learn to butt out too)

the easy way to see it* is to? Compare Stefanski's football mindset to what we've seen.. 👀 hot mics don't phase this mini Don Shula

Many football coaching staffs* our the units stuck hamming red circles thru green squares.. (GM's)

Get to know these guys... cause if Joe Woods falls? They will go with him...(if i recall correct? Woods staff was build way late, waiting on Woods after SB game) 
Joe Woods – defensive coordinator

Jeff Howard – pass game coordinator/defensive backs 
Ben Bloom – senior defensive assistant
Stephen Bravo-Brown – defensive quality control 
Ryan Cordell – coaching assistant 
Jeremy Garrett – assistant defensive line 
Chris Kiffin – defensive line 
Brandon Lynch – assistant defensive backs 
Jason Tarver – linebackers 

Kevin's Offensive side ?

Kevin Stefanski – head coach 

Alex Van Pelt – offensive coordinator 
Mike Priefer – special teams coordinator 
Stump Mitchell – run game coordinator/running backs 
Callie Brownson – chief of staff 
Bill Callahan – offensive line 
Doug Colman – assistant special teams
Ryan Cordell – coaching assistant 
T.C. McCartney – offensive assistant 
Chad O'Shea – wide receivers 
Scott Peters – assistant offensive line 
Drew Petzing – tight ends 
Seitu Smith – offensive quality control

It Takes All of Us!  

Shula never goes undefeated winning every game by himself...google his staff..you know them better than Coach Stef's coaching staff... 

It took several Browns Gm's to get some serious talent in here..Than a Stefanski coaching staff to mold them.. (Shula built *loaded)

It's our Time ! Go Browns !

9 hours ago, gumby73 said:

While I can see the synergy potential... this combo puzzles me a lil bit. Seems like two awfully big jobs...

The current staff seems pretty strong, albeit with a lot of names that are less than household ATM.... but such was also the case with Bill B's back back when he was a pup in the 90s. And now they are all widely known. I'd settle for Stef's group doing half as well.

So far Stef just seems like a great guy to work for... a great administrator/delegator/mentor(?) who has more than his share of Xs and Os command... and an eye for personnel to boot.

And to think we could have had him a full year earlier...

... at least he was still available the next time around.

If DePo does nothing else in his Browns' career, I'm good with his HC choice... and his GM to boot.

14 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

If DePo does nothing else in his Browns' career, I'm good with his HC choice... and his GM to boot.

did you see this read? https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports/nfl/browns/andrew-berry-jeremiah-owusu-koramoah-trade/95-8bd22b71-968d-4c26-9c01-e3f18033d28e 

I like his odds of nailing this one..Newsome too!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree with most of his points but I worry about our smallish defense against the Ravens run game that can and will set everything up going between the tackles and getting 7 and 8 yards consistently.  That is what makes Lamar’s zone keep deadly and as result of that you get WR open downfield on single coverage or busted coverages.

You have to limit the Ravens between the tackle plays to 2-3 yards to have a chance. 

Quite a gap between "2-3 yds" and "7 and 8"... allow any team to gash you for the latter, and you've got a problem.

We have to rely upon Billings/Togiai to keep our LBs clean. If they do so, then LBs' speed to fill remains an asset.

7 hours ago, SdBacker80 said:

Agree with most of his points but I worry about our smallish defense against the Ravens run game that can and will set everything up going between the tackles and getting 7 and 8 yards consistently.  That is what makes Lamar’s zone keep deadly and as result of that you get WR open downfield on single coverage or busted coverages.

You have to limit the Ravens between the tackle plays to 2-3 yards to have a chance. 

I still think the best way to beat Baltimore is to jump on them early, and make them play from behind. They are not a team built to stand back in the pocket and pass themselves back from a deficit.

On 6/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, Tour2ma said:

While I can see the synergy potential... this combo puzzles me a lil bit. Seems like two awfully big jobs...    Well said.

And to think we could have had him a full year earlier... Might very well be lucky we didn't.  Dorsey was still here and Berry wasn't.  

... at least he was still available the next time around.

Yeah, DePo was on Stefanski from the beginning.  And so far he and Berry are a very good match.  So, NOW.....we want the continuity.  NOT while we had the dumb fucks.  Not continuity for continuity's sake.  We want the continuity when we have the RIGHT guys.  Like...now would be good.

Terry responding to espn on Baker Mayfield ... (Yo! _itch-tits!    "That's my QB") 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/what-to-make-of-baker-mayfield-as-a-system-qb-and-the-case-against-him-terrys-talkin-browns.html  🤺 

• Thanks 1

Was about to post the same article...

Terry, as is the case with most of us here, agrees that Baker is not among the league's elite, "put-a-team-on their-back and-ride 'em-all-the-way-to-the-playoffs" QBs. He's just not willing to penalize Baker for being the beneficiary of Stef, a very good OL and a run game as do some Writers/analysts.

Cool thing I see in Baker is he can throttle it down when a game is going well or mash the pedal down if the game calls for that. We've seen him win both ways... and a win is a win.

On 6/13/2021 at 7:06 AM, Dutch Oven said:

I feel Joe Wood's future as Browns DCoordinator could very well be tied to his ability - or inability - to get the most out of JOK.

Will Woods find ways to exploit JOK's rare athleticism? Will Woods find ways to hide JOK's weaknesses?

That will be a fascinating story line to watch in 2021.

last year with some lack of talent(LB) players hurt delphit williams harrison players missing games because of covid (COVID) its self I thought  woods did a good job as D.C and do not understand why some think he is on thin ice 

Stafanski hired him for a reason and so far I believe he has nailed it with his coaching staff so to steal from aaron rogers R E L A X

side note: allready 110 out it's crazy ass heat here in the N.W it's never been this hot in june 5th 100 degree day so far mixed in with a bunch of days in the 90's

5 hours ago, ATOM said:

I thought  woods did a good job as D.C and do not understand why some think he is on thin ice 

Because the D wasn't good last year.  The reasons don't matter to the 'some'.

...and repeat after me, Global Warming is Fake News.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Orion said:

It should matter, because Woods was hamstrung something fierce last year.

Between a general lack of talent, and injuries specifically to the secondary, he was put in a tough situation.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Orion said:

hahhahaah  tell that  to oregon a historic ice storm this winter and now record setting heat  christ  vette its africa hot out there

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Orion said:

Oh yes the offense, defense, ST, coaching and of course the quarterback leadership all work together in the success......or lack thereof.....of the team.

Let's hope 2021 is another step up in winning the AFCN.   :)

On 6/27/2021 at 7:18 AM, gumby73 said:

Terry responding to espn on Baker Mayfield ... (Yo! _itch-tits!    "That's my QB") 

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06/what-to-make-of-baker-mayfield-as-a-system-qb-and-the-case-against-him-terrys-talkin-browns.html  🤺 

“When you turn on the 2020 tape, it’s clear that Mayfield is a quarterback you can win with in the NFL, but not necessarily a guy who can carry a team on his own.”

I think this is a fair point. I also have no idea why this is such writing so small. Anyways, I don't think Mayfield is an elite QB, but he's trending up and seems to have taken well to Stefanski. Plus, he's very durable.