THE BROWNS BOARD

Would You Shut Down Denzel Ward or Baker Mayfield?

jiggins7919

Gregg Williams mentioned that Denzel Ward was progressing through the concussion protocol, and then I had a thought, "Is it even worth bringing him back?"  If we're out of the playoff race, we've only got two games left, and I'm pretty sure this is Denzel's 2nd concussion (I could be wrong), is it even worth playing him this year considering concussions are easier to get once you've had one, AND they're literally a brain injury?  If it were me, I'd sit him down.  He's shown me enough, and I want him to get healthy and also protect his melon.  He'll be ready to kick azz next year.  

I've also heard an argument that we should sit Baker Mayfield because we're out of the playoffs and why risk an injury when you're a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in 20 years, and we FINALLY have one?  At first I scoffed at the idea of sitting Baker, but then the nightmare of "What happens if he gets hurt?" started creeping in my mind, and I about threw up, LMAO.  In all seriousness, I would most certainly NOT sit Baker.  If we had locked up the playoffs and we couldn't improve our seating in week 17, that's one thing.  I could see sitting some starters like the Steelers and other teams have done over the years.  But Baker is a rookie, and while he's playing well, he still has much to learn and the best way to learn is to play.  Also, I seriously doubt Baker WOULD sit out if the coaches told him to, hahaha.  

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ward, maybe, for the reasons you mention.   Not Baker.  These are still division games, and he needs to know what it is like to play a full AFCN schedule and to know what it takes to beat the (B)itchy Pussies and the Ratrapers. As long as he is not hurt.  But...if he get's pinched somehow, then perhaps.

Ward maybe but the same logic applies to him as it does to Baker.  He's still a rookie learning how to play in the NFL so if he's healthy, he should be out there playing.  Sitting Baker is just stupid.   He need to be playing and playing in real games.  He's still a rookie and while he's played very well as a rookie, he's still learning and he isn't going to learn at this point watching Tyrod play QB the last 2 weeks.   Play to win the last 2 games.   8-7-1 would be a great way to end the season.   7-8-1 isn't really all that bad considering where this team was the last 2 seasons.  

Think I would shut down Ward, missed what, last 2 games? And we know how the Concussion Protocol in the NFL works(wink wink) I just don't see a concussion as a 2 week heal, give that head a good time to rest. Mayfield, keep him playing, hopefully he gets to see a good old Northeast Ohio snow storm and play in it. Or just the bitter cold coming off the lake.

Ward? Yes... This is his 2nd time in protocol. Takes longer for the brain to truly recover than it does to clear protocol. And it's not like we don't know what we have in him. Use the reamining games to evaluate/develop CB depth.

Baker? Play him... let him learn... if either game gets out of hand (either way), then give a backup some reps... probably TT to get some more of his play on tape under Kitchens.

Aside: Given the apparent chemistry in the QB room between Baker and Stanton (who is under contract thru 2019), they are the core to which we can add a "prospect" Day 2 or 3 of the upcoming draft.

15 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Ward? Yes... This is his 2nd time in protocol. Takes longer for the brain to truly recover than it does to clear protocol. And it's not like we don't know what we have in him. Use the reamining games to evaluate/develop CB depth.

Baker? Play him... let him learn... if either game gets out of hand (either way), then give a backup some reps... probably TT to get some more of his play on tape under Kitchens.

Aside: Given the apparent chemistry in the QB room between Baker and Stanton (who is under contract thru 2019), they are the core to which we can add a "prospect" Day 2 or 3 of the upcoming draft.

I wonder if our boy Benkert can be had off the Dirty Birds practice squad... 

6 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Gregg Williams mentioned that Denzel Ward was progressing through the concussion protocol, and then I had a thought, "Is it even worth bringing him back?"  If we're out of the playoff race, we've only got two games left, and I'm pretty sure this is Denzel's 2nd concussion (I could be wrong), is it even worth playing him this year considering concussions are easier to get once you've had one, AND they're literally a brain injury?  If it were me, I'd sit him down.  He's shown me enough, and I want him to get healthy and also protect his melon.  He'll be ready to kick azz next year.  

I've also heard an argument that we should sit Baker Mayfield because we're out of the playoffs and why risk an injury when you're a team that hasn't had a franchise QB in 20 years, and we FINALLY have one?  At first I scoffed at the idea of sitting Baker, but then the nightmare of "What happens if he gets hurt?" started creeping in my mind, and I about threw up, LMAO.  In all seriousness, I would most certainly NOT sit Baker.  If we had locked up the playoffs and we couldn't improve our seating in week 17, that's one thing.  I could see sitting some starters like the Steelers and other teams have done over the years.  But Baker is a rookie, and while he's playing well, he still has much to learn and the best way to learn is to play.  Also, I seriously doubt Baker WOULD sit out if the coaches told him to, hahaha.  

good point with ward, but not baker.....by the way, we have not yet been eliminated although its probably less than 1 percent chance....but...i'd like to see that little orange helmet still on the in the hunt category at least till the last game.....that would be almost as awesome as beating the ravens and ruining their playoff hunt like the bengals did to them last yr....

2 hours ago, browns52 said:

good point with ward, but not baker.....by the way, we have not yet been eliminated although its probably less than 1 percent chance....but...i'd like to see that little orange helmet still on the in the hunt category at least till the last game.....that would be almost as awesome as beating the ravens and ruining their playoff hunt like the bengals did to them last yr....

Oh I'm totally with you. I'm having so much fun watching #6 out there. 

If you can play, play. Tomorrow is never promised.

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

If we beat the ravens, doesnt thst ensure the steelers are in?

At this point who cares.. the Stools arent going far with that meager defense...

3 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

If we beat the ravens, doesnt thst ensure the steelers are in?

not sure......i can't see the steelers beating the saints....then they play the bengals the last game at home....ehhhhh...me thinks they somehow pull that one out especially with aj green out....but who knows...this time of the yr drives me crazy with all the possibilities....

1 minute ago, browns52 said:

their d looked pretty good against the pats.....however they are very inconsistant....my guess is when they go on the road the meager d shows up again....

The pats are getting old.. Gordon disappeared.. Next year Bill will cut Brady for diminishing skills...

I'm going to be honest: 

I think Ward is a helluva talent, but I'm concerned about his ability to stay on the field.

Sit him the rest the last two games, and pray to the patron saint of cornerbacks that I'm wrong about him long term. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I think Ward is a helluva talent, but I'm concerned about his ability to stay on the field.

yup!

I'm certain we'll be drafting at least one CB.

It is funny how the logic goes here. Rest Ward because we have slim playoff hopes? Helly, why not rest him 8 weeks ago when we sucked.

Maybe we should give him a penectomy and put him in pantyhose?

C'mon, stop being pussies.

8 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

If we beat the ravens, doesn't that ensure the steelers are in?

No. But the Steelers would have to lose twice & finish 8-7-1, and the Ravens would have to beat the Chargers (lotsa luck there) and finish 9-7. In that scenario, our tie would cost Pittsburgh the division, and probably the playoffs, because it's near certain some of the teams in the Wild Card hunt will finish at least 9-7, if not 10-6.  

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

No. But the Steelers would have to lose twice & finish 8-7-1, and the Ravens would have to beat the Chargers (lotsa luck there) and finish 9-7. In that scenario, our tie would cost Pittsburgh the division, and probably the playoffs, because it's near certain some of the teams in the Wild Card hunt will finish at least 9-7, if not 10-6.  

Since ur a mod and cant be put on ignore, how bout u just not reply to any of my posts and ill do the same....? Kthnxbye

Archived