THE BROWNS BOARD

Would You Shut Down Denzel Ward or Baker Mayfield?

jiggins7919

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know I was just making a joke about the Keewee’s. Actually I don’t think I’ve ever heard of New Zealand wine or ever had any. I have had an Australian wines and a lot of them are pretty good but not New Zealand. 🇳🇿 

They're way different Gipper. A lot cooler climate than Australia. You should try one sometime for an experiment. Any decent wine shop should have at least a couple different ones. Oyster Bay Sauvignon blanc is generally available and runs around a not budget busting $12.  The top end ones like Cloudy Bay or Kim Crawford run $25+.  

Everyone perceives smells differently. Couple examples- way back I bought a bottle of cologne, Drakar Noir. Wife went yuck don't ever wear that again, it smells like sweat. On my part??? Smells pretty good to me. Couple years later I finally got it- to me there was a faint background aroma, to her it was the primary smell.

Oh, corked wines. I'm famously insensitive to the chemical TCA (I won't bother with the long name) that makes a wine smell "corked". OTOH Mark Fisher- who runs the Food & Wine column in the local paper is extremely sensitive to it. We were at a party, and the wine I brought- and was drinking- I thought it was a little dry- Mark takes one sip and almost passes out, holy shit, this wine is corked. I had a wine served to me in Napa the owner didn't want me to taste because it was corked. Brought out another bottle. I insisted to try them both- and the one he said was corked- I wouldn't have sent back in a restaurant. 

That was my little digression leading up to the point I wanted to make. I'm super-duper sensitive to "vegetal" smells in wine. LOL where some (maybe a lot of) people get grapefruit smells out of New Zealand sauvignon blancs, I get tomato plant. Not something I want to smell in my wines.  :)   

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, hoorta said:

That was my little digression leading up to the point I wanted to make. I'm super-duper sensitive to "vegetal" smells in wine. LOL where some (maybe a lot of) people get grapefruit smells out of New Zealand sauvignon blancs, I get tomato plant. Not something I want to smell in my wines.  :)   

There are two wines I just love to stick my nose/face into the glass and just breath. A really good Napa Cabernet or a fine Zinfandel from Amador County, California which used to be the best kept secret for Zins. Well worth a day or two where some wineries even do barrel tastings.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/What-s-new-Amador-s-wine-profile-continues-12537139.php 

14 hours ago, Zombo said:

No, I wouldn't shut either down, you homos.

We have two division games left, win at all costs.

Zombo

Hehehe.

We have a chance for a winning record in the division, and a chance to sweep TWO rivals.  That would be quite a season, indeed.  You know what scares me?  Being favored by such a large margin against a team that has kicked our butts for the better part of 5-6 years.  Yeah, I know the Bengals are starting their backup QB, but we saw first hand that the kid can play at least a LITTLE bit, and we already know the game is going to be quite electric.  Losing the final home game to a team we've already beaten on the road with their backup QB playing sounds EXACTLY like something the old Browns would do, right?

But we're not the old Browns anymore, are we?  It's time to keep proving it, and we need to dispatch a lesser team quickly and thoroughly.  I have in the back of my head that this game is going to be an all out WAR, and I don't see this week's game resembling the previous one whatsoever.  If we win, I think it'll be in the 4th quarter, similar to what we saw the past two games.  Now the Baltimore game is a different story, and THAT game sounds like a nightmare.  We already know their defense is filthy, and facing Lamar Jackson doesn't sound like ANY fun.  The only good things I can think of are that we'll have a decent amount of film on Jackson now, AND I like how Gregg Williams schemes for other offenses.  Remember how well we played against the Saints?  How we shut down the Broncos' rushing attack?  If there's a defensive coordinator out there who will make it his mission in life to scheme up a solid play against Jackson, it's going to be Williams.  The QUESTION will be whether or not we can score enough points (at least in my crazy mind!)

Oh, and Denzel Ward returned to practice this week, so that's good.  I guess we're not holding him out, huh?!  Although we definitely missed Denzel last week, I'm super stoked we'll have him for Cincy, and I REALLY hope he can play against Baltimore too.  I just love this kid!  

Love it when a wine fest breaks out...

23 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Step off my tip bro. Delete posts all u want, but step off my tip.  

I for one had to google this one... basically what I suspected it was.

This was the top hit...

On 12/20/2018 at 9:43 AM, TexasAg1969 said:

There are two wines I just love to stick my nose/face into the glass and just breath. A really good Napa Cabernet or a fine Zinfandel from Amador County, California which used to be the best kept secret for Zins. Well worth a day or two where some wineries even do barrel tastings.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/travel/article/What-s-new-Amador-s-wine-profile-continues-12537139.php 

A little remiss, and certainly off topic Ag. But be on the lookout for Carol Shelton Monga Zin.  Cucamonga Valley way south in California. Best zinfandel ever on the low side of $30.  

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

A little remiss, and certainly off topic Ag. But be on the lookout for Carol Shelton Monga Zin.  Cucamonga Valley way south in California. Best zinfandel ever on the low side of $30.  

The only one I could find here is the Carol Shelton OV Zin Wild Thing.

However at that abhorrent Xmas party I got drug to and felt a need to get drugged at, they had a great drug to try that turned out to be quite good. It was a bottle of 2014  7 Deadly Zins. 

I had a couple of deep wide-bodied glasses that I could keep breathing in and liked it so much I went home and looked it up. Unbelievably it not only got a 91 rating from Wine Enthusiast, but only costs $10.99 + tax locally. However the store I go to has a 10% discount to all veterans if you pay cash. Dropping by there today because I know my son-in-law loves Zins better than any other red wine and I want to serve it for him (& me) for Xmas dinner along with the sweet white swill I got for the rest of the in-laws.🍷🎅

15 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

The only one I could find here is the Carol Shelton OV Zin Wild Thing.

However at that abhorrent Xmas party I got drug to and felt a need to get drugged at, they had a great drug to try that turned out to be quite good. It was a bottle of 2014  7 Deadly Zins. 

I had a couple of deep wide-bodied glasses that I could keep breathing in and liked it so much I went home and looked it up. Unbelievably it not only got a 91 rating from Wine Enthusiast, but only costs $10.99 + tax locally. However the store I go to has a 10% discount to all veterans if you pay cash. Dropping by there today because I know my son-in-law loves Zins better than any other red wine and I want to serve it for him (& me) for Xmas dinner along with the sweet white swill I got for the rest of the in-laws.🍷🎅

Yup, I consider 7 Deadly Zins a  "best buy".  Now if your ever want to spend a lot of money- Michael- David who make the former- name their top end zinfandels after the seven deadly sins. Lust, sloth, gluttony, ect. Maybe worth it.  When you get into that price stratosphere,  beside those I like the Ridge Lytton Springs, and Elyse Morosholi vineyard. 

BTW, Merry Christmas to you and yours.  :)  

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Yup, I consider 7 Deadly Zins a  "best buy".  Now if your ever want to spend a lot of money- Michael- David who make the former- name their top end zinfandels after the seven deadly sins. Lust, sloth, gluttony, ect. Maybe worth it.  When you get into that price stratosphere,  beside those I like the Ridge Lytton Springs, and Elyse Morosholi vineyard. 

BTW, Merry Christmas to you and yours.  :)  

Same to you Larry.......................................Bill🎅

Never been a fan of 7 Deadly, but it's been a while.

For a long time Brazin was my go to Zin, but even it faded in its last vintage and I shifted to Cline Old Vines.

Merry Christmas from one wine-o to a couple others...

24 minutes ago, jrb12711 said:

FWIW, ward is for sure concussed again in the 4th quarter of a meaningless game for all intents and purposes.

I really hope this isnt the start of something.

Yeah but what if that one makes him decide to retire. I love the kid but i rather him get a concussion now if he decides to retire than in week 1 next year and he decide to retire. We know CB is an issue if he does and even if he comes back depth is a concern. Like i said love him he's probably my favorite defensive player on the team but he needs to practice rugby style tackling if he is going to keep playing and if he hangs it up due to concussions I don't blame him.

7 minutes ago, bjh2130 said:

Yeah but what if that one makes him decide to retire. I love the kid but i rather him get a concussion now if he decides to retire than in week 1 next year and he decide to retire. We know CB is an issue if he does and even if he comes back depth is a concern. Like i said love him he's probably my favorite defensive player on the team but he needs to practice rugby style tackling if he is going to keep playing and if he hangs it up due to concussions I don't blame him.

How may ccs does he have?  He doesnt strike me as the retiring type.  I think you need a xanax.  Your jumpin the gun.  Don Beebe is still alive...relax

4 minutes ago, Kvoethe said:

How may ccs does he have?  He doesnt strike me as the retiring type.  I think you need a xanax.  Your jumpin the gun.  Don Beebe is still alive...relax

I thought this was his third this year. But here he says that last one was his first

https://www.google.com/amp/s/brownswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/20/denzel-ward-glad-to-be-back-from-his-first-concussion/amp/

As far as the Xanax comment. When you are under 25 like he is your brain is still developing and one concussion is bad but having another on the first shot to your head after sitting out for two weeks due to a concussion is absolutely awful and scary. He's a smart kid and already has enough wealth don't be surprised if he doesn't really consider retirement.

The more Baker plays the better off this team will be.  He needs to gain experience as a QB and with the talent on the field with him.  The only reason I would have given him the week off is if the team had won the division.  Weighing injury vs. experience I would prefer the experience.  He appears to be getting better each week.

As for Ward, sitting him if he is not 100% post concussion would be in the best interest of all parties.

And what was wrong with the tackle?

I'm going to go with I told you so. The hit did not even involve his head. His head just snapped to the side and that was enough.

6 minutes ago, nickers said:

I wouldnt let Ward back on to the field until he knows how to properly tackle and protect himself...

all i thought was that there was no reason why Randell did not wrap up and make the tackle

17 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

And what was wrong with the tackle?

I'm going to go with I told you so. The hit did not even involve his head. His head just snapped to the side and that was enough.

Yep. I think he took a forearm to the chin or a shoulder. Head snapped back and goodnight. I'm officially worried. Why he continues to go high, I don't know. 

6 minutes ago, alporcini said:

PLain Dealer is reporting Wards injury was a shoulder. 

Not that I'm HAPPY if it's a shoulder, but I certainly don't want another concussion. 

Archived