THE BROWNS BOARD

Defense Secretary Mattis 'retiring' at end of February

DieHardBrownsFan

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SECDEF's take their advice from the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the intelligence agencies.  Who in turn take their advice from the Fleet commanders and Generals.  Ultimate responsiblity always is the President's.  And quite frankly, I no longer trust Trump.  If Mattis doesn't, I don't.  

7 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Four of these six men without military service were appointed by Republican presidents: Charles Wilson (Eisenhower), Neil McElroy (Eisenhower), James Schlesinger (Nixon), and Dick Cheney (George H.W. Bush).

Eisenhower and Bush both had military service. What a great comparison with Nixon.

1 minute ago, cccjwh said:

Four of these six men without military service were appointed by Republican presidents: Charles Wilson (Eisenhower), Neil McElroy (Eisenhower), James Schlesinger (Nixon), and Dick Cheney (George H.W. Bush).

Eisenhower and Bush both had military service. What a great comparison with Nixon.

So what?

WSS

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

So what?

WSS

Well if the Commander in Chief has military experience it makes it less important for the SOD to have military experience. When you have a draft dodging coward as president it makes it even more important to have a SOD with military experience. Hey it's not like we are fighting any wars right now, oh wait....

1 hour ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

SECDEF's take their advice from the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the intelligence agencies.  Who in turn take their advice from the Fleet commanders and Generals.  Ultimate responsiblity always is the President's.  And quite frankly, I no longer trust Trump.  If Mattis doesn't, I don't.  

I think arguments can be made on either side of pulling our troops out of Syria. I respect Mattis but I haven't been on board with some of the things he has said such  as:

1. Opposed moving the US Embassy to Jerusalem.
2. Opposed cancelling the Iran nuclear deal.
3. Insisted on arming and training the Hezbollah-controlled Lebanese military.
4. Opposed transgender ban in military and supported paying for the surgery.
5. Said Tel Aviv is Israel's capital.

*Mattis also opposed the United States getting out of the Paris Climate Accord.

7 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I had 8 years of Billy Bog and 8 years of Obammy.  Mattis should run.

I like Mattis and I respect him, but I think America is sick to fucking death of troops in the Middle East. The choices aren't very good pal. Open border free shit Democrat, or a Democrat light like Kasich.

WSS

We hardly have any troops in the Middle east.  Like it or not, we have comittments we have to fulfill and that involves  sending troops.  I was one as were many more.  It's an all volunteer force.  No one is forced to join the military.  And those that do generally like being deployed.  I know a lot of people who got out and went back as contractors because the money was really good. 

When I went in the Army we had a couple hundred thousand in Vietnam, and half a million in Germany.  Desert Storm we had close to half a million.  Now I think we have around 14,000 in Afghanistan and a couple thousand in Syria which are either SPECOPS or support.    They mainly train the fighters.

5 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

And those that do generally like being deployed.

I know a lot of people who got out and went back as contractors because the money was really good. 

I can't think of a single one of my friends that 'liked' being deployed.   I can also speak for one that didn't come back...   "like" is a strange word to use there.   

Now I do know a private security contractor that makes six figures but he is only over sea at 4 month increments then takes another 6 off.  

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I can't think of a single one of my friends that 'liked' being deployed.   I can also speak for one that didn't come back...   "like" is a strange word to use there.   

Now I do know a private security contractor that makes six figures but he is only over sea at 4 month increments then takes another 6 off.  

Well being one of those people that was deployed for a year and turned around and went back as a contractor for another couple of years. I can say, that I don't like being deployed. But I sacrifice those two additional years for family and to ensure I could retire early. Getting used to being deployed is different than enjoying it. There are some people who do enjoy being deployed, they are usually the ones that go whoring in Dubai and have some side wives in the Philippines or/and Thailand. 

25 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

I know plenty of people who volunteered to go back early.  I guess we hang with different crowds.

17 minutes ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

I don't like the way Trump is ignoring Generals advice on military matters.  You know who else did that.  Adolph Hitler.  Just sayin.....

Ur just now becoming aware of the uncomfortable comparisons? Im being dead serious and all our prior bullshit aside......what did u "really" think when u saw that pompous rodeo clown descending the escalator at T=0?

Cause it didnt tske long for peoples, and not just liberals, jaws to drop and say holy shit do u know who this guy sounds like? We were pointing this shit out from day one. 

6 minutes ago, JAFBF said:

All warfare is based on deception.
                                                            - Sun Tzu

You're all falling for it again   .   .   .  

200w-1.gif.2958e1e71970c19c7dd40058441b769b.gif

11 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

I like Mattis and I respect him, but I think America is sick to fucking death of troops in the Middle East...

10 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

We hardly have any troops in the Middle east.  Like it or not, we have comittments we have to fulfill and that involves  sending troops...

America has lost around 5 service members to date since the Syrian Civil War started. The Kurds have lost over 10,000. While I can agree with you on people being tired of the Middle East, Steve, the reality of the situation is that we need to be there to protect our Kurdish allies and to try to help stabilize the region. Trump said that Obama created ISIS by withdrawing from Iraq too quickly; Trump's rash decision here will cause the rise of ISIS 2.0. DH is right: better to fight them over there now than have to go back over there later in the future after Islamists take this respite to plan and execute more terrorist attacks against the US. We're going to have to be there no matter what, unfortunately, but if we leave now, we'll be going it alone when we have to return, because the Kurds won't help us again after we turned our backs on them. We sure as hell can't leave the region in the hands of Turkey, Iran or Russia.

13 hours ago, JAFBF said:

All warfare is based on deception.
                                                            - Sun Tzu

You're all falling for it again   .   .   .  

Is this where you think Trump is some super genius because autistic kids on 4chan told you as much?

Archived