THE BROWNS BOARD

IMO Our def scheme sucks...

Clevfan4life

12 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I like Schobert, I think he's athletic and is obviously the QB of the defense. 

But I'd like a more physical force at MLB. Could Schobert move to one of the OLB spots? 

He was on the outside then moved inside where he is much better 

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dutch Oven said:

It is, especially in today's pass-happy environment. 

But man, he's a weakness when teams decide to stick to the run.

Eh, I don't think Schob is the weakness himself and he seems to handle the ISO well at times.    We lack the interior line at times to keep him clean, Collins when filling freelances a bit too much and has put him in a bad spot or two.   At least, from the couple times I remember.     Like I said previously, we need to take a long look at Chi Town and Roquan smith.  About the same dimensions.  Then take a peak at the line he has in front of him and the impact he has made limiting the run and against the pass.     

Joe can be an exceptional player, but he needs the right kind of help. 

18 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

He could, but having a Mike backer with his wheels and cover ability is pretty damn nice.  

edit: I'm imaging Schob and Devin White on the field and it makes me tingle.

That edit is exactly the reason why I asked the question... Devin White at MLB for the Browns would not suck. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

That edit is exactly the reason why I asked the question... Devin White at MLB for the Browns would not suck. 

We're gonna have to trade up a lot to get him though. Definitely going in the top 10 and maybe even top 5.

15 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

Why are u down on avery? He's a 5th round rookie project that made considerable improvements in his rushing and coverage over the course of 1 season. Edge defense is his main weakness that prob wont go away anytime soon cause he's not built for it, doesnt have the length. Which is why he was the long down edge rusher and rotation 43 olb'er.

He is not and will never be a starter.  He made ZERO improvement in his coverage over his college and now pro career.  He's great for his role - as long as that role is never starting. Earlier in this thread multiple people asserted Avery was some sort of future starter for this team.. he can't do that.

That's not being "down" on him.. that's simply identifying and playing to his skills.  The NFL demands certain traits from a human to earn one down of playing time.. and when that assignment for Avery includes anything resembling playing in space, he does not have the athleticism to accomplish the task.

There's a reason his grade is 54.9 even though he holds up pretty well at both setting the edge and rushing the passer.. He's got a hole in his game and it's not when moving forward.  That doesn't mean he's a bad player or that he's not a great roster spot --- it just means he's not someone to consider as a starter, and that's fine.  Quality depth is a good problem to have.. it's how the Ravens are so good as a team D this season, because they can rotate/rest starters.

5 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

He is not and will never be a starter.  He made ZERO improvement in his coverage over his college and now pro career.  He's great for his role - as long as that role is never starting. Earlier in this thread multiple people asserted Avery was some sort of future starter for this team.. he can't do that.

That's not being "down" on him.. that's simply identifying and playing to his skills.  The NFL demands certain traits from a human to earn one down of playing time.. and when that assignment for Avery includes anything resembling playing in space, he does not have the athleticism to accomplish the task.

He most certainly does have the athletic ability, it just depends on the role you ask.     Also 'starter' is matchup dependent.   I can think of a few times on our schedule next year where I would walk him out with the 1st team squad. 

On schobert, people forget that even the goat ray lewis...his best years were with sam adams and tony siragusa infront of him. Two gianormous block eating kunts. And they lined em up in the double A's forcing the guards to.stay home just like eberfluss does in indy.....i kind of wouldnt mind him as HC tbh seeing what he's done with a somewhat avg DL. 

25 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

On schobert, people forget that even the goat ray lewis...his best years were with sam adams and tony siragusa infront of him. Two gianormous block eating kunts. And they lined em up in the double A's forcing the guards to.stay home just like eberfluss does in indy.....i kind of wouldnt mind him as HC tbh seeing what he's done with a somewhat avg DL. 

Well said Clevsies.  That's 1 thing we won't disagree on - Schobert only has 1 legit starting DT in front of him. 

IMO, Meder was a decent enough run stuffer to not get cut.  Having said that, he wasn't brought here by Dorsey so he was cut regardless of what Williams, fans or anyone thought of him.  I couldn't understand all season why we never brought him back.  

On 1/4/2019 at 11:07 AM, Tour2ma said:

True... same as a standard PAP bootleg where once outside the pocket some protections, e.g., going low on a tackle, are eliminated. However, others such as late, unnecessary pushes to the ground after the pass is away are still flagged.

That said... I haven't really seen much of that action at the pro level, tia.

Just saw it.      A new little wrinkle that got snuffed out.  

51 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Well said Clevsies.  That's 1 thing we won't disagree on - Schobert only has 1 legit starting DT in front of him. 

IMO, Meder was a decent enough run stuffer to not get cut.  Having said that, he wasn't brought here by Dorsey so he was cut regardless of what Williams, fans or anyone thought of him.  I couldn't understand all season why we never brought him back.  

I dont understand why the guys we brought in, price...some guy named laurence.....couldnt adequately fill the role

On 1/6/2019 at 9:20 AM, Dutch Oven said:

Could Schobert move to one of the OLB spots? 

He did not look good out there in his first year with us. Issues setting the edge... and he played heavier... which meant his pass D was poor to boot.

10 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

He did not look good out there in his first year with us. Issues setting the edge... and he played heavier... which meant his pass D was poor to boot.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt that under Horton and thus a different role then your 'traditional " Sam backer...? 

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasnt that under Horton and thus a different role then your 'traditional " Sam backer...? 

You are correct... Horton's "3-4" was our D in Joe's rookie year so role was different.

However as the "coverage" OLB in Ray's scheme (Collins arrived to fill the rushing OLB role) there are similar demands. So extrapolating/projecting his performance is not unreasonable.

37 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

You are correct... Horton's "3-4" was our D in Joe's rookie year so role was different.

However as the "coverage" OLB in Ray's scheme (Collins arrived to fill the rushing OLB role) there are similar demands. So extrapolating/projecting his performance is not unreasonable.

Not unreasonable but worth mentioning Joe had adjusted to the weight loss and coverage responsibilities better the last couple years in his growth.      While history isn't on his side,  doesn't mean he'll struggle like a rookie when he's a 4th year pro.   

...  I wonder how Devin White would look on the outside?   😳

14 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Not unreasonable but worth mentioning Joe had adjusted to the weight loss and coverage responsibilities better the last couple years in his growth.      While history isn't on his side,  doesn't mean he'll struggle like a rookie when he's a 4th year pro.   

...  I wonder how Devin White would look on the outside?   😳

Never waste the talent of an inside destroyer on OLB!🧐

Actually he is an inside out destroyer since he can clog the middle AND run down RBs going either way outside. Just a great player.

Archived