THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Willing to Let Schobert Walk, Per Source

jiggins7919

https://www-cleveland-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cleveland.com/browns/2019/12/browns-willing-to-let-joe-schobert-walk-in-free-agency-no-contact-in-months-source-says.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&outputType=amp&usqp=mq331AQCKAE%3D#aoh=15763774635610&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cleveland.com%2Fbrowns%2F2019%2F12%2Fbrowns-willing-to-let-joe-schobert-walk-in-free-agency-no-contact-in-months-source-says.html

PHOENIX — The Browns have made little effort to extend Pro Bowl linebacker Joe Schobert and are willing to let him walk in free agency, a league source told cleveland.com.

As first reported on our exclusive Browns Insider Subtext, Schobert, who’s having another Pro Bowl-caliber season, has not heard from the front office in months about an extension, and when it was discussed briefly, it was evident the franchise was not serious about re-signing him at that time.

The preliminary figures wouldn’t have made Schobert, the Browns’ fourth-round pick in 2016, the highest paid linebacker on the team. That distinction is currently held by Christian Kirksey, who averages $9.5 million a year for 21st in the NFL among linebackers.

Mayfield on facing Murray: ‘This is real bragging rights’

Schobert acknowledged last week that the Browns haven’t made him a proposal to keep him from becoming an unrestricted free agent in March. On the market, he would be expected to make in the double-digit millions like other top middle linebackers. The top 11 are all making $10 million a year or more.

“I let my agent handle all this kind of stuff, but my understanding is we haven’t gotten any offers so can’t really build on it from there,’’ Schobert said last week.

Having arguably his best season, Schobert leads the Browns and the AFC with 103 tackles, tied for seventh in the NFL. A former high school receiver, he’s also added a career-high four interceptions, grabbing two in back-to-back games this season to become the sixth linebacker in NFL history to accomplish the feat, and the first since Cato June in 2005.

Profootballfocus.com has him ranked as the 34th best linebacker in the NFL.

Browns defensive coordinator Steve Wilks was asked on Thursday if Schobert were having another Pro Bowl season. He missed out last year after going in 2017 despite another good year.

“If I had a vote, I would say yes,’’ said Wilks.

If Schobert has his way, he’ll remain with the Browns, who took him in the fourth round of the 2016 draft out of Wisconsin. A leader on the team and in the community, he wants to get the Browns to the playoffs.

“My No. 1 priority is to play the season out and do the best of my abilities and control what I can control,’’ he said. “I can’t really control what’s going on, what’s being said upstairs to my agent and them. I trust my agent. He’s going to do what’s best for me. I trust the Browns are going to do what’s best for the organization. In my perfect world, yeah, I’d be in Cleveland."

Schobert’s ears perked up last week when the Panthers reached a four-year, $54 million extension with former first-round linebacker Shaq Thompson, including $28 million guaranteed.

“My agent texted me after that contract came out,’’ Schobert said. “Obviously playing as a linebacker in the NFL you like to see stuff like that especially when you’re in that similar situation. But it’s a different scenario, different teams.’’

Please keep in mind that this is also from MKC, and I have about as much respect for her as I do a tabloid reporter. However, if Joe Schobert says he doesn't have an offer, and then also said there's been no contact on over a month, I'm officially worried. I'm not sure everyone totally realizes how bad our linebacker situation is, and please don't tell me anything about Mack Wilson. That kid is trying to learn but he's not good. Repeat after me, Mack Wilson is not good. If we lose Schobert, we'll likely need an entirely new LB corp next year. Taki and Wilson can be role players, but I honestly don't believe they're starting material. Lord knows I want to be wrong about them, but I don't think I am. 

Sign Schobert now please. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Please keep in mind that this is also from MKC, and I have about as much respect for her as I do a tabloid reporter. However, if Joe Schobert says he doesn't have an offer, and then also said there's been no contact on over a month, I'm officially worried. I'm not sure everyone totally realizes how bad our linebacker situation is, and please don't tell me anything about Mack Wilson. That kid is trying to learn but he's not good. Repeat after me, Mack Wilson is not good. If we lose Schobert, we'll likely need an entirely new LB corp next year. Taki and Wilson can be role players, but I honestly don't believe they're starting material. Lord knows I want to be wrong about them, but I don't think I am. 

I agree with you on Schobert, but NOT Wilson. Mack is going to be great, i think, and Taki Taki might be a role player, on special teams...., but they are rookies.

Former Alabama LB Mack Wilson earns top PFF grade for Week ...

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/2019/08/12/former-alabama-lb-mack-wilson-earns-top...

Aug 12, 2019 · LB Mack Wilson, Cleveland Browns. 97.7 Overall Grade, 36 Defensive Snaps. The performance of the week by any player in the NFL, and it’s really not that close. Wilson picked up two hurries from three plays where he blitzed, but it was the plays where he dropped into coverage that earn him this spot on the team of the week.

I don't trust unnamed sources, but the Browns can't seem to shake this habit of waiting too long to negotiate on second contracts with young talented guys we drafted. No matter who the GM has been. And it's probably because by the time a guy is up for renewal the guy that drafted him is gone. Gotta start keeping guys.

We lose leverage when we wait too long.

Z

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mack Wilson has NOT played well this season, consistently earning poor grades vs the run AND pass. 

Genius cal posted a link of Wilson's "great" PFF rating off of the preseason Redskins game, because cal is a dipshit. 

To be fair, Wilson has been playing out of position at OLB.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Mack Wilson has NOT played well this season, consistently earning poor grades vs the run AND pass. 

Genius cal posted a link of Wilson's "great" PFF rating off of the preseason Redskins game, because cal is a dipshit. 

Exactly right. I'm honestly not trying to sound mean or negative, it's just that Wilson really hasn't played consistently well, and anyone who thinks he's going to be a good player in the NFL is more or less just hoping for a miracle. Is it possible? Damn right. Do I WANT him to develop into a stud LB? Hell yeah, but I'm not holding my breath and we still have to either draft multiple LBs or sign them in FA. 

2 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Exactly right. I'm honestly not trying to sound mean or negative, it's just that Wilson really hasn't played consistently well, and anyone who thinks he's going to be a good player in the NFL is more or less just hoping for a miracle. Is it possible? Damn right. Do I WANT him to develop into a stud LB? Hell yeah, but I'm not holding my breath and we still have to either draft multiple LBs or sign them in FA. 

He is playing out of position, but in limited time Takitaki has played better. 

The Browns have a lot of young, talented players. They can't keep all of them. Schobert most likely will be a result of this. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Wilson has flashed some.    

Its the Troy Polamalu school of football.   Make a few really splashy plays  (and maybe Wilson should let his hair grow down to his ass)....and people will think you are great.  (even if most of your play is mediocre).  Maybe even get you into the HOF.

Why the hell I ever take you off ignore is beyond me.    

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Simple, Dorsey didn't draft him. He hates Sashi's players and prefers his "real" football players like Jermaine Whitehead. If Schobert walks they're going to create a hole in the LB corp, Wilson is nowhere close to the production of Schobert and TakiTaki is a special teams caliber player for the foreseeable future. So far Dorsey looks incapable of building a team but is fixated on bringing in his guys, creating a hole somewhere then uses picks and cap space to fix it. Good teams keep their talent, Schobert was a 4/5th round pick that's been developed into a probowler and we're going to let another team benefit from that?

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Why the hell I ever take you off ignore is beyond me.    

So, you admit that at times you are a little cunny.  You take me off ignore because occasionally you want to act like you have a set? 

If you have a disagreement with me....argue your point.  Don't pussy out and run away like a banana slug.  Stand your ground.

I assume you take issue with my characterization of Polamalu...

fine, I am sure the HOF committee may too.  It won't change my opinion that he was still overrated. 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

So, you admit that at times you are a little cunny.  You take me off ignore because occasionally you want to act like you have a set? 

If you have a disagreement with me....argue your point.  Don't pussy out and run away like a banana slug.  Stand your ground.

fine, I am sure the HOF committee may too.  It won't change my opinion that he was still overrated. 

Your opinions should be regarded as homer nonsense on the Browns forum. 

29 minutes ago, MDDawg said:

Good teams keep their talent, Schobert was a 4/5th round pick that's been developed into a probowler and we're going to let another team benefit from that?

I just have a very hard time believing we're letting him go. It took a bit longer for us to get Tretter re-signed, so maybe our focus will now be on Joe. That gigantic linebacker contract Carolina just signed might complicate matters a bit, but not bringing back one of the very few defensive studs you have doesn't make a lick of sense. Think about it, when you are a team who is in "win now mode", you don't want to create a needles talent gap. 

Yes, we're going to have some massive contracts coming down the pike. But you don't want to mess around with your middle linebacker, and the team will definitely want Joe patrolling the middle. I've been wrong before, lord knows it's been a lot, but I just can't see how this doesn't get done. Why? Because think about what happens if you DON'T. You'll literally have zero starting linebackers because Kirksey will be gone, Schobert will be gone, and you'll be stuck with whatever you can scrounge up in free agency and your 2nd year backers which have some potential, but are surely nowhere near a sure thing. 

35 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Then there is no point in arguing with you then.    I can give you evidence, facts, data, grades... all of it.  Like any good idiot,  you'll just dig in and say "My opinion" despite the overwhelming conclusion that your opinion is rooted in idiocy.   Much like the bulk of what you post.      I asked this to Gorka's bitch ass about a week ago and I'll rhetorically ask you - "why bother?"   Who has that kind of time or care?   You've already admitted that regardless of what I argue, you're not convinced. 

So this is my stance - fuck you.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Your opinions should be regarded as homer nonsense on the Browns forum. 

Maybe my opinion on Polamalu is a bit homerish......but, how do you account for the fact that I don't feel that way about other Steeler players?  

The ONLY other one of that era that I question is James Harrison....who I should be more "homerish" about since he went to school about 2.5 miles from where I worked for years.  Coventry.  And that of course has to do with HGH allegations, and of course his dirty play. 

I don't question BRs talent.   Not even  Antonio Browns...talent.  (we all question his sanity at times).  Not even Hines Ward or Leveon Bell...or others.  (but when it comes to Polamalu...that is where I become a homer?  How fickle I must be) 

48 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Then there is no point in arguing with you then.    I can give you evidence, facts, data, grades... all of it.

Can you?  Then why do you never do that. 

Like any good idiot,  you'll just dig in and say "My opinion" despite the overwhelming conclusion that your opinion is rooted in idiocy.   Much like the bulk of what you post.   

except, of course, it is I who provide the facts, data, evidence to back up my opinions.  But, OK....I will give you this:  my opinion on Polamalu IS counter to what most people think.   But...I DO admit that that is an opinion, somewhat.....except:   

here is some data for you: ALL of the following defensive players  have been rated as having a more productive career than has Troy Polamalu, and none so far are in the HOF...though a few likely will be placed in there (and some play his same position):

Charles Woodson;  Calais Campbell; John Lynch,  Darren Sharper, Troy Vincent, Pat Fischer, John Abraham, Pat Swilling, Neil Smith, Donnie Shell, Bill Romanowski, Wilbur Marshall, Cornelius Bennett, Ted Washington,  Eugene Robinson, Chuck Howley,  Jared Allen, Sam Mills, Ken Riley, Isaiah Robinson, Steve McMichael, DeMarcus Ware, Hardy Nickerson, Haloti Ngata, Ed Too Tall Jones, James Farrior, Eric Allen, Jimmy Smith, Clay Matthews, London Fletcher, Zach Thomas, Terrell Suggs, Ronde Barber, Jim Marshall,  Julius Peppers.

So, Justify to each of these guys why a guy who was less productive in his career should get in ahead of any of them.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/av_career.htm

I asked this to Gorka's bitch ass about a week ago and I'll rhetorically ask you - "why bother?"   Who has that kind of time or care?   You've already admitted that regardless of what I argue, you're not convinced. 

Disagree.....bring me a convincing argument about something...and I can certainly accept it.  Just here this morning Gorka gave me something serious to think about. 

So this is my stance - fuck you.

Convince me that you have the equipment to do that.

14 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Let me get this straight because philosophically speaking it sounds outrageous!  A team that desperately needs to improve its chemistry and continuity wants to remove it's heart and soul to create another opening? If there's a gotta keep guy on this defense ANYWHERE - it's Schobert.  If our FO doesn't  understand this - DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASSSS ON THE WAY OUT!    More specifically, I overrated the crap out of Dorsey-Doe!

5 hours ago, Flugel said:

Let me get this straight because philosophically speaking it sounds outrageous!  A team that desperately needs to improve its chemistry and continuity wants to remove it's heart and soul to create another opening? If there's a gotta keep guy on this defense ANYWHERE - it's Schobert.  If our FO doesn't  understand this - DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASSSS ON THE WAY OUT!    More specifically, I overrated the crap out of Dorsey-Doe!

Tom.. I gotta believe there's something cooking to keep Sho in CLE ,behind the scenes.. The kid is having a monster year for himself thus far.. They (The Browns FO) can't be this ignorant.. Or can they... Dorsey has been good... But I would agree he whiffed on a couple of guys... He's not been infallible..... I really hope they go all out to retain this young man...

1 hour ago, LondonBrown said:

Obviously people will disagree with me but the position this FO was put in and this is what we have to show for it. It’s ugly. A waste. 

A huge opportunity squandered. 

I was wondering when you'd pull yourself away from your Sashi Brown shrine and come here to gloat. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

I was wondering when you'd pull yourself away from your Sashi Brown shrine and come here to gloat. 

I was wondering when you’d quote me mentioning Sashi. You’re as boring as our offense this year. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You actually listed players at completely different positions then Troy and then bothered to compare about production and stats?!?!

You. Fucking. Dumb. Shit.

I take that back, you have high functioning autism because there is no other explanation for why anybody would attempt to even do that.       This is like me saying "CLAY MATTHEWS SHOULDN"T GET INTO THE HOF BECAUSE JJ WATT WAS BETTER".   Well herpy fucking derp there, Sheriff Woody.   You can't even do an honest apples to apples comparison.   Aren't you a mod or something associated with this site as well?  Jesus H, as if this board needs more embarrassment.     Because if Gorka gave you something to "think about" then I'm not about to drop my IQ to room temperature just to hang out with you mouth breathers at that level.  

And there's always the "It won't change my mind".      Point blank, you said it.     So either you just have a whiny bitch like need for attention or you like talking out what you post in your own mind.  Either way, you're reasoning skills hint that you're fucked in the head.  

I'll take my highway exit here, champ.     The void of the ignore list awaits.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

I was wondering when you’d quote me mentioning Sashi. You’re as boring as our offense this year. 

Your love affair with him is worth admiring from afar. 

Now you can scurry under the rock you've been hiding under all season. 

Oh boy.... another Schobert thread!

Same as in the other two I'll make the point that signing Joe is a matter of price.

11 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

image.thumb.png.5e34cfa3cdc68c326968ac74971c99c5.png

And Joe was a 3-4 OLB in college and his rookie year with us. As a rookie he wasn't particularly good, but was playing maybe 15# heavier. When Williams moved him inside to be his 4-3 MLB he asked him to lose weight. I honestly think he'd flourish outside in a 4-3 at his current weight.

Mack inside? Dunno... he'd definitely thump more when he diagnosed the play, but that percentage would have to increase considerably and his liability in coverage is considerable.

23 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

It's a really good shrine...I've seen it. It's almost as nice as mine.... but drives on the wrong side of the road.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Your love affair with him is worth admiring from afar. 

Now you can scurry under the rock you've been hiding under all season. 

Not been hiding I got bored of you replying to everything I said with the same nonsense about Sashi Brown. Glad to see you grew out of that.